• transformers live-action movies
  • transformers fandom
  • transformers forum

Go Back   TFARCHIVE > COMMUNITY > General Discussion

Old 2017-11-11, 02:25 PM   #2061
HeavyArms
Unicron

Karingal, Victoria, Australia

Having finished playing Just Cause 2, or as much as I wanted to play, I'm undecided as to what to play next; but in the meantime I'm going to play enough of Pokemon Sun to be able to use the Pokemon download codes that I have.

Destruction is my specialty
HeavyArms is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2017-11-13, 05:25 PM   #2062
ganon578
GO BLUE!

NoCo

Well, after getting a Retron 5 and telling myself I didn't need a Mini SNES, I found one at Target on Friday... and came home with it. Nice little system, and smooth as silk, just like the Mini NES. Controller cords are still too short (luckily I already have extensions from the Mini NES), and it's still a shame that the Big N didn't put a 'Home' button on the controller - causing you to go hit the reset button to get back to the main menu. It's a minor quibble, but present nonetheless. Otherwise, the game list is stellar, and pretty well rounded. It doesn't seem to have as many early arcade 'duds' that the Mini NES did. For $80, it's well worth it.

3DS Friend Code: 0387-9979-6466
Nintendo Network ID: rondo52
ganon578 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2017-11-18, 03:59 PM   #2063
HeavyArms
Unicron

Lego Marvel Super Heroes 2 on Xbox One, it also comes with a Giant-Man mini-figure.

Also, played enough of Pokemon Sun to download a couple of Pokemon via codes, although I did have to download some patches before hand.

Old 2017-11-19, 12:57 PM   #2064
Heinrad
Ironmod

Riskin' it all on my Russian Roulette!

Danganronpa 2: Goodbye Despair and Collar X Malice for the PS Vita. I've heard that interactive visual novels are really big on the system and figured "Eh, why not. I'll give a couple of them a try."

Only played Danganronpa so far, and it's a lot of fun.

As a professional tanuki (I'm a Japanese mythological animal, and a good luck charm), I have an alarm clock built into me somewhere. I also look like a stuffed animal. And you thought your life was tough......

3DS Friend Code: 1092-1274-7642
Heinrad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2017-11-24, 04:59 PM   #2065
Warcry
Likes Beast Wars toys. A lot.

Winnipeg, Manitoba, Canada

Quote:
Originally Posted by ganon578 View Post
I only have a PS4. I can say, much like you, I preferred Xbox controllers, but the PS4 redesign was so good that it swayed me in that direction (used to own a PS3 & 360). If you can get to some kiosks, try them both out. That's what made up my mind...
Thanks for the advice! I did manage to have a good look at the PS4 controller at a kiosk and it seems way more comfortable than the PS1 and PS2 controllers I'm familiar with. I think it's the smooth top that does it, now that the trigger buttons aren't jutting up like on the older ones. The triggers themselves seem more ergonomic, too. The joystick positioning may take some getting used to, though!

Quote:
Originally Posted by ganon578 View Post
Maybe there will be an upcoming sale that might help you?
That's what made up my mind in the end, yeah. I wound up getting a 1TB PS4 bundled with a game I wanted (NHL 18) for $250 CAD on sale. Usually they'd be $380 up here. None of the Black Friday Xbox deals hit that price, not even for the the 500 GB model, so they got themselves a sale!

I, of course, immediately went and ordered Deus Ex: Mankind Divided and The Last of Us Remastered (honestly, this game is about half the reason why I even considered the Playstation instead of just upgrading to the next Xbox) off of Amazon, so I'll have plenty to keep me busy over the holidays.

Especially since I'll need to squeeze in my once-every-Christmas play-through of Arkham Origins on the 360 in there somewhere.

Warcry is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 2017-11-25, 06:18 PM   #2066
HeavyArms
Unicron

Started on Dead Nation, not bad really for a twin-stick shooter, currently up to the fourth mission.

Old 2017-11-26, 01:28 PM   #2067
Cyberstrike nTo
Primus

In the Dead Universe known as Indianapolis

Mass Effect: Andromeda a damn great game that got crapped on by angry worthless trolls. The game has it flaws but it's much better than the hate mob would have you believe.

The X-WCW a fun site for fun people.
Cyberstrike nTo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2017-12-02, 05:18 PM   #2068
HeavyArms
Unicron

About half-way through Dead Nation's story.

Uncharted: The Lost Legacy.

Old 2017-12-04, 06:21 PM   #2069
Warcry

I'm about 3/4 of the way through The Last of Us now. I don't think it really lives up to the hype. The story is great and has some real impact, and it has some great visuals (the abandoned and crumbling cities are fantastic). But the gameplay can be intensely frustrating. Even though the game teaches you to fight, sneak or run away from your enemies, most of the time it feels like the game is trying to force you to do one or the other. So instead of looking for creative solutions to whatever jam I'm in, I find myself trying to figure out what the designers wanted me to do, and sometimes it feels less like playing a game than just pushing buttons to unlock the next scene in a movie. Which is a shame because the plot, characters, writing and voice-acting are all top-notch.

It reminds me a lot of the first Mass Effect, actually -- the story is good enough that it I'm willing to put up with a pretty mediocre gameplay experience to see it through, but the whole package suffers because of the weakness of some of its parts.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cyberstrike nTo View Post
Mass Effect: Andromeda a damn great game that got crapped on by angry worthless trolls. The game has it flaws but it's much better than the hate mob would have you believe.
That's the risk you take when your staff go out of their way to pick a fight with bunch of trolls with too much time on their hands. Gamergate morons might be...well, morons, but they're still a huge slice of any major title's target market and have a huge platform to troll from.

Old 2017-12-09, 05:15 PM   #2070
HeavyArms
Unicron

Up to Mission 8 of Dead Nation, generally the game isn't too difficult except for areas where you have to survive a few rounds of different enemies while something activates or lowers or something.

Old 2017-12-11, 05:29 PM   #2071
Warcry

Finished playing The Last of Us. Genuinely surprised by the ending. Really didn't think
SPOILER! (select to read)
my character would make it out alive
(is it actually a spoiler when the game is four years old?) The last level was intensely frustrating, not because of the design or layout but because you're facing human enemies who can somehow tank multiple gunshots to their unprotected face. Like seriously, I'd shoot a guy in the nose with a hunting rifle and two seconds later he's returning fire. What's the point in even giving me guns in this game if they're useless? Why am I bothering to get good at aiming them if my reward for being able to pick off unarmoured bits is absolutely nothing? Such a sour end to a game that had the potential to be really great. It's an above-average game and I enjoyed it, but I just can't get on board with the people who say it's one of the best games ever. There's just too many flaws that could have been fixed too easily.

After that I started playing NHL 18, which was even more frustrating to start with. Right out of the box it's basically unplayable: every single defensive move is a penalty, your players skate like they're in molasses, your players fan on slapshots about 80% of the time and it's impossible to pass the puck in the offensive zone without being intercepted. The gameplay option sliders mean that it's possible to fix all of that, but the end result after all of that is still a game that's not much more fun than my ancient copy of NHL 99 on the N64 -- and that one I can just jump into and play without hours of trial-and-error editing settings. Also, loading times in Franchise Mode basically take forever, the menus are frustrating to navigate, and some information seems to not exist at all (i.e. if I simulate a block of games, I can't seem to find the boxscores anywhere). The last NHL game I played was in the early 2000s on PC, and honestly it doesn't seem like the series has evolved at all since then (aside from the addition of pay-to-win game modes so they can microtransaction the hell out of their hardcore players). I get that hockey is hockey and there's only so much you can do with it, but it's been at least a decade and a half since I've played an NHL game and surely something should have improved since then? It's fun enough, but if I'd paid $80 or whatever the MSRP for new games is in Canada rather than getting it bundled in with my console at a discount, I'd feel ripped off.