Recommend me a kick ass Transformer toy for $25-$35

Figures, collectables, customs and collecting.
Ackula

Recommend me a kick ass Transformer toy for $25-$35

Post by Ackula »

So this is the basic idea here, I am thinking of selling a toy from another toyline to have some spending cash for a new Transformer, since I haven't bought one in ages. I'm thinking I'll get between $25 and $35 for it, so I need something in this range that doesn't suck.

Here are the rules, no movie toys, no animated toys, and no cross over toys. Anything else, I'm game. Please tell me why the figure is actually worth the price tag, and don't just post the name of a figure. ;)
Warcry

Post by Warcry »

I recommend the Universe Sunstreaker I've been holding for you for six months! ;)

I'm not sure how much Classics Jetfire is going for these days or if you've already got one, but he's probably my favourite TF toy ever. He's just complicated enough to justify his price point, has a boatload of accessories, his gimmicks actually help to make him a better toy (as opposed to so many recent TFs who are basically ruined by the gimmicks that get shoehorned in) and he displays really well.

Universe Onslaught is a hulking badass and (unlike so many larger TFs) he's actually very posable as well. He looks great in both modes and he's got a lot of nifty little gimmicks that are fun to play around with. Also, his electronics are unobtrusive enough that they add to his play value, instead of being so annoying that you rip the batteries out as soon as you get him out of the package (*cough*Powerglide*coughcough*). Bonus points for still being available in obscure toy departments that don't shift much merchandise, and because there's a Hardhead redeco coming out in the near future.

I'm not really that big on larger TFs, so that's pretty much all I can recommend in the price bracket you're talking about.
Ackula

Post by Ackula »

Warcry wrote:I recommend the Universe Sunstreaker I've been holding for you for six months! ;)
Oh yeah, well I can't find any of the stuff we were gonna trade for back then at retail now. I'll PM you... ;)
Halfshell

Post by Halfshell »

Spend the money on food.
Clay

Post by Clay »

Agreed, spend the money on food or bills instead of buying a toy at the first chance you get. Or hey, liquor. You might be happier with liquor in the long run.
Cliffjumper

Post by Cliffjumper »

Or if you're going to blow $35 on a toy, make it a proper one, not a Transformer. Defendor should be in your price range.
Clay

Post by Clay »

Cliffjumper wrote:Or if you're going to blow $35 on a toy, make it a proper one, not a Transformer. Defendor should be in your price range.
Link for the proletariat, sir?
Sunstreaker2

Post by Sunstreaker2 »

Go-Bots suck.

There's a REASON why they didn't last 25 years.
No longer looking for RID Dreadwind, but I still need Smokejumper. I'm also in need of Mammoth Nemesis Prime's tail piece, as my figure lacks it. Send me a PM.
Detective Barricade

Post by Detective Barricade »

Staying in the spirit of this thread, Universe Inferno is supposed to be really nice. You could also go for the awesomeness incarnate that is Universe Cyclonus with Nightstick. You get two toys for the price of one, and Cyclonus looks brilliant in both modes. If you can find one with a 'fixed' siren (or simply don't care about the sounds) Universe Onslaught is a very solid toy. Just give him something better than his wrist gun and he's ready to go.;)
Got a complaint?
[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
The Complaints department: making complaints disappear since 2009!
borg72

Post by borg72 »

ebay filters by price range too; a search for transformers £20-£28 brings up all sorts of interesting things on the UK side, including the magnus/skywarp classics two pack (for anyone who missed it)
Cliffjumper

Post by Cliffjumper »

Clay wrote:Link for the proletariat, sir?
http://counter-x.net/gobots/reviews/sup ... endor.html - probably the best figure in the range (bear in mind that expensive for a Gobot is about $20; the other option would be to round up a patrol of the smaller guys, like Scratch, Stallion, Block Head, Royal-T and Spoons - those are about the size of Minibots for reference).
Sunstreaker2 wrote:Go-Bots suck.

Brand loyalty sucks. Percentage-wise, Gobots creams Transformers because it didn't get span out for 25 years of "Oh look, a vaguely generic sportscar that turns into a robot with lots of joints that can only stand in three poses". There was never a Gobots Unicron trilogy, there was never a Gobots Masterpiece Cy-Kill that was designed by blind morons with no hands, there were never Gobots Pretenders, there were never Gobots Kissplayers.
Halfshell

Post by Halfshell »

Sunstreaker2 wrote:Go-Bots suck.

That's the same logic that says Eastenders is better than Firefly. And people deploying that sort of logic should be shot.

Just because a company floods the market doesn't mean their product is automatically the best available. But I'm guessing you own an iPod anyway.
Vin Ghostal

Post by Vin Ghostal »

Universe Jetfire looks awesome. He's one of the few TF's I've kept in the packaging for future value, but I'm tempted on a regular basis to open him up. I also highly recommend Leader Bulkhead from Animated, a very very cool toy.
Sunstreaker2

Post by Sunstreaker2 »

Halfshell wrote:That's the same logic that says Eastenders is better than Firefly. And people deploying that sort of logic should be shot.

Just because a company floods the market doesn't mean their product is automatically the best available. But I'm guessing you own an iPod anyway.
Nah.

My PSP is the closest thing I have to an MP3 player.
No longer looking for RID Dreadwind, but I still need Smokejumper. I'm also in need of Mammoth Nemesis Prime's tail piece, as my figure lacks it. Send me a PM.
Vin Ghostal

Post by Vin Ghostal »

Bye bye, point! I never wanted to hang out with you anyway!
Ackula

Post by Ackula »

Halfshell wrote:Spend the money on food.
Clay wrote:Agreed, spend the money on food or bills instead of buying a toy at the first chance you get.
You guys sound exactly like my wife. :eek:
Civ

Post by Civ »

Taking a note from Cliffy -- Fred the Gun. He's all the fun you need, if you can find one.
Rattrap's tail

Post by Rattrap's tail »

Armada Tidalwave and Galvatron! Their combo is so cool, funky, mad and awesome...
Halfshell

Post by Halfshell »

Rattrap's tail wrote:Armada Tidalwave and Galvatron! Their combo is so cool, funky, mad and awesome...
Or, to put it another way, fugly and borderline immobile.

http://tfwiki.net/wiki/Image:Armada_Gal ... mbined.jpg
Cliffjumper

Post by Cliffjumper »

Jesus christ, it looks like his chest's exploded.