The Transformers Archive Skip to main content / Also skip section headers

[The Transformers Archive - an international fan site]
Please feel free to log in or register.

 
  • transformers toys
  • transformers comics
  • transformers cartoon
  • transformers live-action movies
  • transformers fandom
  • transformers forum

Go Back   TFARCHIVE > COMMUNITY > General Discussion

Reply
 
Thread Tools
Old 2009-07-26, 08:18 PM   #21
Ackula
Charnel House
 
Ackula's Avatar
 
CA
Wink

The fact that she spends more or less the entire duration of the movie nude, really helps it too. I can remember first seeing that when I was around 13 years old, and instantly calling it a classic and perfect film for all times. Funny how that works with adolescents isn't it?
 

Ackula is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2009-07-26, 08:52 PM   #22
Rurudyne
Unicron
 
Rurudyne's Avatar
 
North Texas
Default

I think there should be a Vampire franchise where the undead protagonist is also a Tax Collector or a Tax Auditor.

... or would that be too much of a stereotype?
 

Standup Philosopher

"Do not taunt Happy Fun Ball"
Rurudyne is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2009-07-26, 09:30 PM   #23
Heinrad
Ironmod
 
Heinrad's Avatar
 
Riskin' it all on my Russian Roulette!
Cool

I saw Twilight under slightly different circumstances.

I saw it on DVD with a friend of mine and his then fiance(now wife), because she wanted to see it and borrowed it from a coworker. My friend tried reading the book, got about 30 pages in, and gave up due to not being full of teen angst. His fiance, conversely, had devoured all the Twilight books. Me, I have no interest in them at all, but was curious about the movie.

I think we both agreed that it wasn't a bad concept(I think Being Human handled the "vampire trying to be normal" thing better, but there you go). So, the three of us watched the movie. My friend and I had a lot of fun, enjoyed it immensely. I'd have to say that we had as much fun with that movie as Mike and the Bots would.

For some reason, his fiance, while enraptured with the film, was less than impressed with us destroying it with our callbacks.

Proving, once again, that the best way to fight teen angst is with MST3K.
 

As a professional tanuki (I'm a Japanese mythological animal, and a good luck charm), I have an alarm clock built into me somewhere. I also look like a stuffed animal. And you thought your life was tough......

3DS Friend Code: 1092-1274-7642
Heinrad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2009-07-26, 10:29 PM   #24
Rurudyne
Unicron
 
Rurudyne's Avatar
 
North Texas
Default

MST3K rules!
 

Standup Philosopher

"Do not taunt Happy Fun Ball"
Rurudyne is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2009-07-26, 10:30 PM   #25
DrSpengler
Primus
 
Default

I can't confess to have ever having watched "Twilight", despite my love of horror films.

The film just isn't made for people like me (college-age heterosexual males), so it just doesn't hold any appeal. I have no reason to watch it, just as I have no reason to watch "Steel Magnolias", "The Jonas Brothers Movie" or any of the myriad of animated child pornography Japan pumps out on a daily basis.

Not made for my demographic, so I have no interest (even if it technically qualifies as a horror movie).
 
DrSpengler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2009-07-27, 04:44 AM   #26
angloconvoy
Big Metal Person
 
angloconvoy's Avatar
 
Ichihara, Japan
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ackula View Post
You all disappoint me to be honest (Tom excluded). It is a movie based off of a book for "young adults". Even more so, it is aimed at those of the female persuasion. If you do not fall into that demographic, and you choose to watch it and then complain that it is not hardcore enough or whatever, honestly you are an idiot. That is a bit like an atheist going to see a documentary about Christ, made for christians, and then bitching that it is too religious. Use your ****ing brains people.
Er, I do believe that I mentioned that curiosity about the fuss was my reason and that I acknowledge I'm not in the demographic. Same reason I may one day give Passion of the Christ a go, to draw a parallel with your analogy. Not to mention my only complaint was that it doesn't contain much of interest to those outside of the demographic, and as cliffy mentioned Disney, I think its fair to point out that they always try to throw in at least a couple of things that will appeal to a more general audience.

Also, I did make it to the end of the movie, which makes it better than Die Another Day, sadly. Although maybe that's because I hold Bond movies to a higher standard than Vampire movies aimed at teenage girls.
 

angloconvoy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2009-07-27, 04:50 AM   #27
Ackula
Charnel House
 
Ackula's Avatar
 
CA
Default

The Passion is a great movie, technically speaking. I wasn't trying to single you out, to be honest I largely missed your first post, not sure how I overlooked it. We can agree to disagree however, because I'm not in the demographic, yet I found the new take on an old and worn out legend to be rather clever. Guess after watching close to 100 vampire movies, one wants to see a bit of change in the basic story.
 
Ackula is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2009-07-27, 10:51 AM   #28
Halfshell
Magical Truthsaying Turtle
 
Halfshell's Avatar
 
Don't complain to me. I don't care.
Default

Here's the real question though:

Is Twilight worse than Queen of the Damned?
 
Halfshell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2009-07-27, 10:53 AM   #29
Neuronutter
Gestalt
 
Neuronutter's Avatar
 
Halifax, NS
Default

I haven't seen Twilight, so I can't speak to that, but one thing I have been watching recently that has impressed me with it's portayal of Vampires is True Blood. I've just finished the first season and I have really enjoyed the storytelling of this series, and the way the Vampires are drawn in general. The series is very graphic, with both it's sex and violence, and very adult. I thoroughly recommend it to anyone who likes tales about Vampires or just a great series in general. It can get a bit gory though, just a word of warning.
 
Neuronutter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2009-07-27, 10:56 AM   #30
Halfshell
Magical Truthsaying Turtle
 
Halfshell's Avatar
 
Don't complain to me. I don't care.
Default

I was mildly intrigued by True Blood, but the trailers for the first episode on FX made it look shockingly dreadful.
 
Halfshell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2009-07-27, 01:02 PM   #31
Cliffjumper
Cellar Door
 
Cliffjumper's Avatar
 
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Halfshell View Post
Here's the real question though:

Is Twilight worse than Queen of the Damned?
Well, they didn't have to kill the lead to get anyone to pay attention to Twilight, for what that's worth.

That'd work much better if Aaliyah hadn't committed suicide in the middle of a killing spree...
 
Cliffjumper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2009-07-27, 01:03 PM   #32
CounterPunch
One with the Matrix
 
What?
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by RID Scourge View Post
Meant his part in the movie. Movie probably would have been a bit more bearable without that character. Though Dracula trying to be hip was a bit silly too now that I think of it.

Wait wait wait.... In a film with god awful direction, a Wesley Snipes who had all but thrown in the towel, a crappy Dracula and HHH you say the movie would have been better without Ryan Reynolds?

Mental

Quote:
Originally Posted by *BARRAGE* View Post
okay, haveing been eye raped by a date begging me to watch "twilight", i think vampires are getting lame and wussy- give me the murderous vamps from 30 days of night any day- your opinion?
Ok erm.... You start a thread about how modern day vampires are getting lame and wussy, and as a counter to the poor quality of modern day vampires you use a film thats only a year or two older than Twilight?
 
CounterPunch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2009-07-27, 01:07 PM   #33
Halfshell
Magical Truthsaying Turtle
 
Halfshell's Avatar
 
Don't complain to me. I don't care.
Red face

And they say pop culture today has no long term memory.
 
Halfshell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2009-07-27, 01:27 PM   #34
RID Scourge
Lurking
 
RID Scourge's Avatar
 
In ur newz forum. Reading ur newz!
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by CounterPunch View Post
Wait wait wait.... In a film with god awful direction, a Wesley Snipes who had all but thrown in the towel, a crappy Dracula and HHH you say the movie would have been better without Ryan Reynolds?

Mental
Eh. I don't mind bad movies. RR just kinda got on my nerves. The rest of it was stupid fun imo. Though yeah. Maybe they should've scrapped that whole "Drake" business too.
 
RID Scourge is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2009-07-27, 02:16 PM   #35
Ackula
Charnel House
 
Ackula's Avatar
 
CA
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Halfshell View Post
Here's the real question though:

Is Twilight worse than Queen of the Damned?
That is a hard question to answer. I guess, and people here may lynch me for saying so, I personally prefer Queen of the Damned. Probably for the wrong reasons, but I have a soft spot for that movie. For one thing I totally was in love with Marguerite Moreau for quite some time, so that is a factor. Secondly I actually liked Jonathan Davis' songs in that movie quite a lot, and that was always surprising to me because I have always detested Korn to be honest. At any rate I prefer Near Dark, Lost Boys, Vamp, Interview With The Vampire, Bram Stoker's Dracula, and The Hunger... to any of this recent stuff we have had. Hammer movies are in a class of their own so I don't even feel I have to praise them here.
 

Ackula is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2009-07-27, 03:23 PM   #36
Halfshell
Magical Truthsaying Turtle
 
Halfshell's Avatar
 
Don't complain to me. I don't care.
Default

Incidentally, on the subject of Twilight and its fans, and on the off-chance somebody here is yet to see it:

http://xkcd.com/591/
 
Halfshell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2009-07-27, 03:46 PM   #37
DrSpengler
Primus
 
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ackula View Post
Near Dark,
That reminds me to post this picture of the new DVD cover for "Near Dark".

http://www.horrorsnotdead.com/images...ilight_dvd.jpg


 
DrSpengler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2009-07-27, 03:52 PM   #38
Rurudyne
Unicron
 
Rurudyne's Avatar
 
North Texas
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Halfshell View Post
Here's the real question though:

Is Twilight worse than Queen of the Damned?
I'm probably not going to go out on a limb here if I opine that Dracula: Dead and Loving It with Leslie Neilsen set the standard for bad (yet not quite bad enough to be good) when it comes to vampire movies.

Being a comedy wasn't the deal either. Love at First Bite with George Hamilton was quite good.
 

Standup Philosopher

"Do not taunt Happy Fun Ball"
Rurudyne is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2009-07-27, 03:56 PM   #39
Halfshell
Magical Truthsaying Turtle
 
Halfshell's Avatar
 
Don't complain to me. I don't care.
Default

... sorry, was I meant to take that film seriously? Did the film even take itself seriously?
 
Halfshell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2009-07-27, 03:58 PM   #40
Rurudyne
Unicron
 
Rurudyne's Avatar
 
North Texas
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Halfshell View Post
... sorry, was I meant to take that film seriously? Did the film even take itself seriously?
No, of course not.

I realized the problem with the post which is why I added the reference to a vampire comedy that did it right for comparison. Just was slow edititing.
 

Standup Philosopher

"Do not taunt Happy Fun Ball"
Rurudyne is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply


Currently Active Users Viewing This Thread: 1 (0 members and 1 guests)
 
Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off

Forum Jump


All times are GMT. The time now is 05:00 PM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.7
Copyright ©2000 - 2017, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.
 
 
[the-hub.co.uk]
[transfans.co.uk]
[oneshallstand]
[unicron.com]
[counter-x.net]
[ntfa.net]
[allspark.com]
[transformertoys.co.uk]
[tfu.info]
[botchthecrab.com]
[obscure_tf]
[tfradio.net]
 

[TFArchive button]
Link graphics...

BOOKMARK US
Or in FF, hit Ctrl+D.