• transformers live-action movies
  • transformers fandom
  • transformers forum
Old 2010-01-21, 11:47 AM   #1
Blackjack
Micromaster

Default IDW Solicitations for April

http://www.idwpublishing.com/news/article/979/

Not sure if anyone's reported this yet. Glanced around the forum, and I'm rather sure no one has, so... the main thing would be Spotlight Prowl, I guess.

Quote:
Transformers #6

Mike Costa (w) Don Figueroa (a) Figueroa x2 (c)

It's the AUTOBOTS versus the biggest foe they've faced since DEVASTATOR! But with Optimus Prime in captivity, do our heroes stand a chance? The action keeps coming courtesy of Mike Costa and Don Figueroa!

TRANSFORMERS: Spotlight: Prowl

Mike Costa (w) E.J. Su (a) Nick Roche, Su (c)

The end of the war between Autobots and Decepticons had profound changes throughout the ranks, even for the coldly logical PROWL. Learn of his change of heart and its impact on his actions in the ongoing series.

Transformers: Last Stand of the Wreckers #4

Nick Roche, James Roberts (w) Nick Roche (a) Trevor Hutchison, Roche (c)

The Wreckers have found Aequitas, and things have suddenly become a whole lot more complicated! As the Autobots' special ops team stands on the brink of dissolution as the fatalities mount, Perceptor realizes that drastic action is called for-but having come this far, who among his teammates is prepared to make the ultimate sacrifice?

TRANSFORMERS: Nefarious #2

Simon Furman (w) Carlos Magno (a) Brian Rood, Magno (c)

Layers within layers are revealed as the massive global conspiracy that is Project: Nefarious continues to unfold. OPTIMUS PRIME wants answers, and he's prepared to go to any lengths to get them. But how far is too far? And by committing his forces to stopping SOUNDWAVE, is Prime just playing right into The Initiative's hands?

Transformers: Tales of the Fallen TPB

Simon Furman, Chris Mowry (w) Carlos Magno, Alex Milne (a) Alex Milne (c)

The characters from TRANSFORMERS: REVENGE OF THE FALLEN reveal events surrounding the film in this collection of the six-issue series. See and understand how BUMBLEBEE, SIDESWIPE, JETFIRE, and more fit into the full scope of REVENGE OF THE FALLEN.

TRANSFORMERS Movie Collection Volume 2

Chris Mowry, Simon Furman (w) Alex Milne, Dan Khanna, Andrew Griffith, Don Figueroa, John Davis-Hunt (a) Josh Nizzi (c)

The action for the 2009 blockbuster TRANSFORMERS: REVENGE OF THE FALLEN comes to bookshelves in this collector's edition hardcover. Including the two Movie Prequel stories, ALLIANCE and DEFIANCE, as well as the Official Movie Adaptation, TRANSFORMERS: REVENGE OF THE FALLEN, this book tells it all!

Blackjack is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2010-01-21, 11:52 AM   #2
inflatable dalek
Duke of Kidderminster

Kidderminster UK
Red face

Quote:
Layers within layers
By an onion instead, it's got the layers and is less likely to make you cry.

inflatable dalek is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2010-01-21, 11:56 AM   #3
Halfshell
Magical Truthsaying Turtle

Don't complain to me. I don't care.
Red face

Quote:
It's the AUTOBOTS versus the biggest foe they've faced since DEVASTATOR!
And the answer is... Unicron?

Why is Optimus in captivity? Does turning yourself in count as being captive? Surely he can leave whenever he wants. YO! ALIENS! DO EXPERIMENTS ON ME.

Deviant.

Or am I just misinterpreting? Really, I want to know. But not enough to buy or read the issues in question. OBVS.

Halfshell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2010-01-21, 12:08 PM   #4
inflatable dalek
Duke of Kidderminster

Kidderminster UK
Red face

There's a two year time jump between issues 5 and 6 that explains everything.

Old 2010-01-21, 11:30 PM   #5
glazios
Occasional Cage-rattler

Rhondda Cynon Taff, S.Wales

Quote:
Originally Posted by inflatable dalek View Post
There's a two year time jump between issues 5 and 6 that explains everything.
Oh, ffs... I hope you're being sarcastic there, because this is getting frikkin' ridiculous. Just how piecemeal are they planning to make this? I'm starting to think that's the entire point, seeing how very little of the story has made any sense continuity-wise since the end of Revelation.

Now, I'm sure they'll find some random plothole to explain everything away later down the line (and they did such a great job of that with "AHM: Coda"...), but right now, I'm finding suspension of disbelief a little hard to hang on to.

I say screw McCarthy's crap, write off eveything since the end of Revelation as an A.U., and pick up the story where Figuroa originally left off. The sales might have been dropping, but at least it made some damn sense.

glazios is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2010-01-25, 04:25 AM   #6
Red Dave Prime
Assistant Comic Reviewer

Ireland

Whomever the biggest foe is, whats the bet at some point he cuts some autobot off by claiming (in a loud booming speech bubble):

I AM TRYPTICON! (for example)

If it is Unicron (and I'm fairly certain they're saving that arc for the second major ongoing thread) at least it will give the series a bit of a kickstart. Issues 1-3 have been ok but I dont feel any real need to read the next one.

Red Dave Prime is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2010-01-25, 11:42 AM   #7
Blackjack
Micromaster

Red face

The 'bigger than Devastator' enemy is
SPOILER! (select to read)
Menasor
, for those who were wondering. At least the cover says that. How a truck and four sports cars can be larger than six construction vehicles is beyond me.

I feel that the ongoing has an interesting story, but the fact that the Hot Rod in this story is supposed to be the same Hot Rod from the -ion or even the AHM series (that goes for Bumblebee, Blurr, Prowl and a dozen other characters I could name) is a bit far-fetched. Different writers have a different pointview on a character, granted, but that doesn't mean they have to piss on other people's work.

Blackjack is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2010-01-25, 01:44 PM   #8
glazios
Occasional Cage-rattler

Rhondda Cynon Taff, S.Wales

Quote:
Originally Posted by Blackjack View Post
...the fact that the Hot Rod in this story is supposed to be the same Hot Rod from the -ion or even the AHM series (that goes for Bumblebee, Blurr, Prowl and a dozen other characters I could name) is a bit far-fetched. Different writers have a different pointview on a character, granted, but that doesn't mean they have to piss on other people's work.
You just hit the nail on the damn head there, pal. That's what I've been trying to get across to people since about halfway through AHM. After the disaster that was Continuum, I'm not even sure if we're in the same continuity as the '-ation' series anymore; all this talk of reboots has me confused. But if we are in the same continuity, then they're sure-as-hell making a right-royal mess of getting it flowing again after AHM blew everything to sh*t -- which, let's be honest, it did.

glazios is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2010-01-25, 02:01 PM   #9
Red Dave Prime
Assistant Comic Reviewer

Ireland

Yeah, Roddy was a bad choice for his current role. So willing to team up with the cons even after his experience with double dealer. So willing to lead again despite the feelings shown in his spotlight. Just some silly choices.

It wouldnt be so bad if they hadnt released Bumblebee which could nearly be a seperate continuity in itself judging by parts one and two (characters look and act different, the whole tone is different)

As for the size thing, gestalts seem to use mass-displacement when they combine - theres no way that devs was the size of just his parts combined. He was maybe ten times what size he should have been (and in fairness, monstroctor had a similar size shift)

I hate gestalts!

Old 2010-01-25, 09:36 PM   #10
inflatable dalek
Duke of Kidderminster

Kidderminster UK

When I picked up my comics this week I cancelled all my standing orders, issue 3 of the ongoing and Bumblebee 2 will be the last IDW comics I will ever read. It was for financial reasons more than anything but I don't see anything that's going to make me regret it any time soon.

Old 2010-01-25, 10:11 PM   #11
Red Dave Prime
Assistant Comic Reviewer

Ireland

Cant blame you. Maybe its run its course but I'm just not caring for this as I did with Furmans run. Thats a little harsh given that I've only read bumblebee 1 and ongoing 1 to 3. I reckon I'll go as far as Wreckers and see from there.

By the way, is bumblebee 2 as bad as reported? I've still to collect my copy.

Old 2010-01-26, 10:43 AM   #12
inflatable dalek
Duke of Kidderminster

Kidderminster UK
Smile

Quote:
Originally Posted by Red Dave Prime View Post
By the way, is bumblebee 2 as bad as reported? I've still to collect my copy.
I haven't even gone in the bag yet, I only picked them up at all out of a sense of obligation to the comic shop for them having put the issues aside. Though I've been careful the last couple of months not to mention Continuum not turning up. Even I draw the line at old art with synopses that make no sense.

I probably will read them at some point just to join in the slagging off, but getting ready to move, wrestling with my temperamental computer whilst waiting for the replacement and submitting for a writing project that won't require me to constantly slag things off takes priority.

The sad thing is, even just prior to the start of AHM this would have been unthinkable. Through the bad days of Origin and The Avengers crossover I still held on, but both the piss poor comics for close to two years now and the fact everyone with the word "Editor" somewhere in their title seems to be a prize berk has killed a two decade interest. Shame.