Name this (car) toyline

Chat about stuff other than Transformers.
borg72

Name this (car) toyline

Post by borg72 »

OK, so it's a line of largely matchbox/corgi type cars (they're like the ancestors to hot wheels to you young 'uns), that in themselves are relatively normal, but have snap-on plastic 'battle armor' (in an unpainted navy blue/teal colour?) that turns them into armored mad-max style cars.

I also know there was a 'ruined' statue of liberty playset, an accompanying kids comic/magazine (at least in the UK), and some kind of helicopter carry case. The line was, of course, divided into 'good guys' and 'bad guys'.

Ii think the line was relatively limited, or only really had one or two waves. Incessant googling has resulted in nothing, though it doesn't help that I cant remember any of the names associated wit it, not even who made it.

Was from the mid/late-90's. Any ideas?
Sades

Post by Sades »

Googled and came up with "Hot Wheels Road Wars".
This is my signature. My wasted space. My little corner. You can't have it. It's mine. I can write whatever I want. And I have!
optimusskids
Protoform

Post by optimusskids »

If not what you were thinking of definitely something very similar

http://www.madmaxmodels.com/roadblasters.html
Sades

Post by Sades »

Lemme put it this way- google this:
borg72 wrote:ruined statue of liberty playset
You will have your answer.
This is my signature. My wasted space. My little corner. You can't have it. It's mine. I can write whatever I want. And I have!
Ackula

Post by Ackula »

Quite right, I actually do remember this. It was called Hot Wheels Road Wars Liberty Base. Unless of course there were more than one toy exactly like you described. :D
Attachments
roadwars.jpg
borg72

Post by borg72 »

optimusskids wrote:If not what you were thinking of definitely something very similar

http://www.madmaxmodels.com/roadblasters.html
apparently i have been mentally confusing/merging these two toylines for years. road warriors is indeed the magazine/playset i was thinking of, but the above link has (the) two cars i had as a kid. learn something new every day.
Cliffjumper

Post by Cliffjumper »

Now it's been posted, I really remember Roadblasters, though it always got mixed up with Parasites in my mind. Matchbox really got their money's worth out of some of those toys, didn't they?
Attachments
Parasites.jpg
Halfshell

Post by Halfshell »

borg72 wrote:OK, so it's a line of largely matchbox/corgi type cars (they're like the ancestors to hot wheels to you young 'uns), that in themselves are relatively normal, but have snap-on plastic 'battle armor' (in an unpainted navy blue/teal colour?) that turns them into armored mad-max style cars.
Ahahahahahaha.

I've had one of those sat on my computer desk for the past three years, meaning to actually get round to finding out what it is.

This thread = WIN.