• transformers live-action movies
  • transformers fandom
  • transformers forum

Go Back   TFARCHIVE > COMMUNITY > Other Toys, Cartoons & Comics

Old 2012-12-27, 11:32 PM   #221
Warcry
Likes Beast Wars toys. A lot.

Winnipeg, Manitoba, Canada

Ninjago is surprisingly cool. The wide variety of different-coloured ninjas gives it a leg up on the Ninja theme from the 90s, which was more historically accurate but IMO a lot less fun. The various fantasy enemies (skeletons and snakemen) are a better fit as enemies than the samurai or shoguns from the old line, especially since the modern concept of a ninja has almost nothing to do with actual ninjas in feudal Japan and everything to do with romanticized fantasy tropes from kabuki theatre.

I think it's run it's course now though, hasn't it? I seem to remember reading that it was going to be winding down and getting replaced by "Legends of Chima" as the game-centric theme in 2013.

On a different note, I picked up a Monster Fighters impulse-buy polybag today. It's got a ghost and a grandfather clock. for something that cost $1.50 more than a collectible minifigure bag, I have to say I'm very impressed with it. The grandfather clock is a very nice little build. It could use a splash of silver or gold for highlights, but it can be integrated into MOCs in anything from Castle all the way up to City to add a bit of detail.

The ghost is very cool, too. His 'sheet' is glow-in-the-dark, and he's dragging a ball-and-chain behind him for added ghostly effect. He's a new mold too, I think, with a mournful facial expression instead of the silly grin the old ghosts had. I wanted a ghost so much when I was little and never got one, so I'm pretty happy now.

Warcry is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 2012-12-27, 11:41 PM   #222
Cliffjumper
Cellar Door

Smile

Got the City big yellow Lego truck for Xmas with a couple of smaller sets. It won't fit with my Town stuff (longer than the hospital, etc.) but it is a smashing set; a lot of the City stuff actually reminds me more of Model Team (a seriously underrated subset; really good load of pieces in each one even if the models didn't always appeal); the size of the kits makes me actually wonder how many kids have the space and money to really build up a city compared to the old Town stuff.

Cliffjumper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2012-12-28, 09:18 AM   #223
Skyquake87
One with the Matrix

@ Warcry, yeah Ninjago has pretty much run its course. Reading the book I have, the Snakes thing, despite bringing some bonkers models to the table, is pretty much a retread of the Skeleton warriors m.o. The Snake Mini-figs are really cool though. I like the battle sets with a figure and some cards, but they are so expensive (roughly the same as a small City set). I've been happy enough with my Sun freebies to represent for Ninjago.

And that MF Ghost set is really cool. I'm keeping my eye out for that! I used to have the Black Knight and haunted tower set from the old Castle range and loved it. A really nice small set with a silly Ghost (again glowed in the dark) hiding in a small tower thing.

@Cliffy, Model Team was all kinds of awesome. Some of that ethos does still permete the Creator line, but the vehicles don't look as nice as the old MT stuff. And yes, the hugeness of the CiTY stuff does mean you can quickly swallow up floor space with just a few buildings and vehicles. Largely why I sold all mine just recently - I loved it, but nowhere for it to go. I have kept all the Farm stuff though because its unbearably cute - and I like tractors

Skyquake87 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2013-01-12, 12:15 PM   #224
Thunderwave
Gestalt

Upstate, NY

http://mobileframezero.com/mfz/

Found this. Thought you all might be interested.

Thunderwave is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2013-01-12, 08:33 PM   #225
Skyquake87
One with the Matrix

wow. i swear, seeing all this MOC stuff and things like that on the web makes feel such an underachiever when I fiddle about and make stuff. I like that so many folk have found ways of construction with lego that i never would have thought of. very inspiring. and that game looks pretty cool

in minifig news, from series nine i have the marilyn figure and the judge. the judge is frickin' awesome. i love him! and he looks like justice leveson off of our very own Leveson Inquiry Into Press Standards! hooray!

Old 2013-01-19, 07:39 AM   #226
Slayer-Fan123
I kill Ewoks

South of Heaven

Anybody seen these new Chima sets? They make wanna buy again!
Are those heads solid though, or are they a regular head covered by a helmet? I tried looking on Bricklink, but nobody is selling their parts separately yet.

Slayer-Fan123 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2013-01-19, 12:38 PM   #227
Thunderwave
Gestalt

Upstate, NY

Quote:
Originally Posted by Slayer-Fan123 View Post
Anybody seen these new Chima sets? They make wanna buy again!
Are those heads solid though, or are they a regular head covered by a helmet? I tried looking on Bricklink, but nobody is selling their parts separately yet.
From what I can tell it's a normal head and helmet combo. Haven't had one in my hands yet though, but from the photos on the packaging all the figs have the circles around the eyes that looks like a helmet.

Old 2013-01-19, 10:12 PM   #228
Slayer-Fan123
I kill Ewoks

South of Heaven

That's what I was guessing too, but I had to be sure. I HATE those differently shaped heads.

Slayer-Fan123 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2013-01-19, 11:28 PM   #229
Warcry

They have separate, printed beasty heads underneath, too:

http://www.brickshelf.com/gallery/ro...ds_-_front.jpg

They seem pretty cool, all in all. The helmets look more like something a primitive shaman would wear than anything, but Chima's definitely a neat, inventive idea. I doubt I'd buy anything, other than maybe a handful of minifigs to add to my menagerie of Castle monsters. But I could definitely see it being popular with kids. Especially since it's supposed to have a TV series like Ninjago.

Old 2013-01-20, 12:22 AM   #230
Thunderwave
Gestalt

Upstate, NY

Quote:
Originally Posted by Warcry View Post
They have separate, printed beasty heads underneath, too:

http://www.brickshelf.com/gallery/ro...ds_-_front.jpg

They seem pretty cool, all in all. The helmets look more like something a primitive shaman would wear than anything, but Chima's definitely a neat, inventive idea. I doubt I'd buy anything, other than maybe a handful of minifigs to add to my menagerie of Castle monsters. But I could definitely see it being popular with kids. Especially since it's supposed to have a TV series like Ninjago.
Faceception!

Old 2013-01-20, 11:59 PM   #231
Jaynz
Puppy Kicker

Well, had a huge amount of cool with Lego this weekend...

Lego Krang.

'Nuff Said.

Jaynz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2013-01-21, 01:19 AM   #232
Warcry

I'm not a huge fan of the TMNT sets. The Turtles themselves aren't very impressive, and the vehicle builds don't seem all that great. The Foot Soldier, Shredder and Krang (oh, wait, it's "Kraang" now for some reason) minifigures are pretty cool, but I'm not all that interested in anything else.

I did a lot of Legoing myself this weekend, though. First, sadly, I was obliged to dismantle a Dragon Masters-themed castle I built a few years back. I tore it down because I needed a bunch of parts from it to rebuild a couple of my old Star Wars sets, my X-Wing and TIE Interceptor. They've done about five different X-Wings since that one, which was the first, and you can tell...the design is very clunky and primitive compared to the newer ones. Still, it was a lot of fun putting these two back together...even though I spent probably four hours tracking down all the pieces I needed for the two of them. I really need to sort out my spare Lego better!

The reason why I did all of this was because I wanted the other two fighters to go with my A-Wing. I haven't bought a Lego Star Wars set in six or seven years, but the A-Wing is my favourite Star Wars ship by a large margin so when I saw they'd finally managed to do a good job of it I knew I had to own one. The finished product is great but the build isn't very complex, because the sleek, streamlined design could only be adequately captured with a lot of big, curving pieces.

In keeping with the zaniness of Star Wars toys in general, the A-Wing is piloted by a minifigure that appears to be obscure nobody Arvel Crynyd (of "flying into the Executor bridge" fame) and comes with a decidedly non-action oriented Admiral Ackbar figure as well. Han Solo is also there, presumably because Lego wanted to up the set's kid-friendliness by including someone they'd actually heard of.

Ackbar is unintentionally hilarious, because his highly-detailed fish-man head doesn't belong anywhere near a body made up of squared-off blocks. He's also got a clear coffee mug for some reason, even though I'm 90% sure the flippers that the character had in Return of the Jedi wouldn't be able to hold it.

All in all, a really cool set that's actually worth the money -- not something I can say about Star Wars Lego very often.

Old 2013-01-21, 02:02 AM   #233
Thunderwave
Gestalt

Upstate, NY

Quote:
In keeping with the zaniness of Star Wars toys in general, the A-Wing is piloted by a minifigure that appears to be obscure nobody Arvel Crynyd (of "flying into the Executor bridge" fame) and comes with a decidedly non-action oriented Admiral Ackbar figure as well. Han Solo is also there, presumably because Lego wanted to up the set's kid-friendliness by including someone they'd actually heard of.
I saw a Porkins minifig with the new X-Wing. I'm pretty sure one of the snowspeeders came with Dak (or what the hell ever Luke's doomed gunner's name was). Seems like the old action figure philosophy is coming to LEGO now as well.

Old 2013-01-21, 02:36 AM   #234
Jaynz
Puppy Kicker

Quote:
I'm not a huge fan of the TMNT sets. The Turtles themselves aren't very impressive, and the vehicle builds don't seem all that great. The Foot Soldier, Shredder and Krang (oh, wait, it's "Kraang" now for some reason) minifigures are pretty cool, but I'm not all that interested in anything else.
Krang's name has been in dispute for years now, due to some really bizzare legal issues with the cartoon, comic, creators, movie rights holders, etc. The TMNT cartoon of the 2000s called him 'Kraang', so I guess that's what they're going with... Anyway, the little figure and the robot build he has is pretty good, exactly what I would WANT from Lego Krang - with the possible exception of missing his old android body.

The foot soldier is 'meh', but it's a foot soldier, and a new take on the android type. Not bad, not great... there are some Ninja-Go figures that work a bit better, I suppose.

Michealangelo is the included turtle in this set. Definately the 1980s-1990s cartoon vibe in this one, with goofy face and all, but it kinda works. The turtle shell piece is kinda nice as well. It doesn't entirely work, but, he's not why I got the set anyway. No nunchaku, either, which seems weird. I'll have to see if there's a set available in another Lego product.

Old 2013-02-03, 04:20 AM   #235
Warcry

Quote:
Originally Posted by TFVanguard View Post
The foot soldier is 'meh', but it's a foot soldier, and a new take on the android type. Not bad, not great... there are some Ninja-Go figures that work a bit better, I suppose.
It doesn't translate over perfectly into brick form, but the Foot Soldiers in the new cartoon are actually very similar in design to the ones from the 90s live action movies. Because of that I actually assumed that they were people, and even though I watched a bunch of episodes of the new show I can't actually remember anything that'd prove it either way.

But regardless, I found wave 9 of the minifigures at my Walmart, which was a surprise because they haven't stocked the things for a couple years now. I picked up three, which turned out to be Caesar and two knights. Caesar's a bit boring, honestly. His only accessory is a plate with a scroll printed on it, and the figure itself is basically an old man wearing a towel. There's no printing on the back of his legs either, which makes it look like he deliberately cut off his toga so that he'd expose his bare ass to everyone. That's, uh...a tad unfortunate.

The knight is great, though. His armour and shield prints are based on the knights from the fantasy-themed Castle line from a few years ago, with the same crown heraldry. They omit the rich blues and golds that those knights had, though, opting for a two-tone grey look. The look's a bit plain on it's own, but they fit in pretty well with the older Crown faction in the same way that the evil dwarf fit with the Dragon faction from Kingdoms. And, hey, better to get doubles of this guy than Caesar or the weirdo in the chicken suit...

Old 2013-02-04, 02:57 PM   #236
Jaynz
Puppy Kicker

Quote:
It doesn't translate over perfectly into brick form, but the Foot Soldiers in the new cartoon are actually very similar in design to the ones from the 90s live action movies. Because of that I actually assumed that they were people, and even though I watched a bunch of episodes of the new show I can't actually remember anything that'd prove it either way.
They've got the android wiring on them, though they don't have the strange heads from the 1980s cartoons. Since the new Turtles are, so far, based on the new cartoon, I'm guessing the Foot Soldiers are taken from that new design. (I haven't seen it to know for sure.)

Old 2013-02-23, 07:19 AM   #237
HeavyArms
Unicron

Karingal, Victoria, Australia

Is it me or does Lego.com not keep any Lego sets older than maybe six moths to a year, do they recycle the sets or are there other web sites that have older stock? All that I found was Brickset, which seems to be a database sort of thing, and JustBricks Australia.

Destruction is my specialty
HeavyArms is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2013-02-23, 02:39 PM   #238
Warcry

It depends on the theme, in my experience. Usually they'll release one new wave in the summer and another in the winter, with the big themes (City, Star Wars, etc.) getting new sets each wave and the less-important ones getting refreshed once a year. When Castle was still a thing, I noticed that the smaller sets used to disappear after about a year but that the biggest one or two usually stuck around longer than that.

As far as older stock goes, when I'm looking I usually have better luck at brick-and-mortar stores that don't turn over their toy inventory very well than I do online. Basically, if I'm looking for old Lego I go to the places that I'll never look for Transformers at because they're always a few series behind.

Old 2013-02-23, 09:08 PM   #239
Skyquake87
One with the Matrix

As i've been bouncing around West Yorkshire today (I've been to Dewsbury! wooo), I stopped off at TRU Wakefield just to have a look with no real intention of buying anything.

My, its just building sets for EVERYTHING these days, isn't it? The action figure aisles are looking pretty desperate, its all playsets and 3.75" figures and not much else. Are action figures dead now?

Anyway, off the point that. I saw the new Ninjago stuff. I honestly thought the Snakes thing was the last run, but no there's a 'Final Battle' of half a dozen new sets, where the Ninjago face off against...well, i don't know, some evil looking Japanese armour wearing dudes. I ended up picking up 70500 which is Kai's fire mech or something. Basically, it's a bit like a small Exo Force set only EPIC. Its the entry level set in the series, so its pretty cheap (well, by today's standards... 8 it cost me, which is probably up 1 - 2 on what this sort of smaller set would have cost a year or two ago). It's just a fantastic little set with some neat new (to me anyway) parts and the mech suit's proper hand can properly hold things! Not like when they used to cheat a bit for Exoforce by having a bit of Technic hook up a sword or whatever. The two minifigures are ace, but the bad guy gets stumpy midget legs and just looks wrong.

I had a look at what else Lego were up to. The Chimia stuff looks mental. I like the small hawk craft, but it didn't have the same value for money deal going on as the Ninjago set i went with, so that was an easy pass.

As for the licensed stuff, well, I'm impressed with the Spider-Man Daily Bugle set, and the Batman sets (which are always great), but the prices are a bit eye watering - especially on the Turtles stuff. It's a bit of a shame the Turtles stuff is LOTR expensive, as the sets look pretty neat (i liked the one with 'Fishface' in). It just seems to have the RRP jacked up in the hope that the Turtles will be this years 'big thing', which seems a bit...greedy (oddly, TRU don't seem to be carrying the 5" Turtles action figures which are pretty great imo). It's a good job Lego are working hard to make their non-licensed stuff as good - if not better- than the licensed stuff.

The most impressive stuff has to be some of the things turning up in City. Sets with BUILDINGS. There's a nice fire crew attending an abandoned house thats been set alight, and a couple of cool 'cops and robbers' sets. One with a Museum heist and one with some ne'er do wells trying to escape at some warehousing on the docks! There's some really cool Creator and whatever they used to call Basic/ Creator that now isn't called anything but is aimed at younger builders moving on from Duplo stuff knocking about too, including a nice construction scene and rally thing. There's also a set that looks suspiciously like Bulkhead...

Although I was really sniffy about it, the Friends line appears to have been a big hit with its target market and was responsible for helping Lego achieve $3 billion in sales last year (i read this in a newspaper or something).

In non Lego news, I cracked and picked up three Kre-O Micro Changers from Asda on the way home. Mainly because I was impressed that they were only 1.47 (a whole 52p cheaper than Lego's blind packed Minifigs!), a quick google to get the codes and I went for Bludgeon (not quite as good as I hoped), Scorch (er, now called Singe for no doubt exciting trademark reasons) whom has these mental flame throwers, Hook who is just ace and my favourite Angry Face Dirge. He is feckin' brilliant and I love him. Especially as he has a big daft looking pointy head. Marvellous.

Old 2013-02-24, 06:52 PM   #240
Sades
Ms. Snarkypants

In a hut by a river on top of a big ol hill.

Some of the stuff you guys talk about make me seriously WANT. For serious.

I bought new minifigs the other day. They are awesome! I have nothing else to add. :/

bookbookbookbookbookbook bookbookbookbookbookbook bookbookbookbookbookbook bookbookblaghbookbookbook bookbookbookbookbookbook bookbookbookbookbookbook bookbookbookbookbookbook bookbookbookbookbookbook bookbookbookbookbookbook
Sades is offline   Reply With Quote