• transformers fandom
  • transformers forum

Go Back   TFARCHIVE > COMMUNITY > Other Toys, Cartoons & Comics

Old 2010-06-22, 08:35 PM   #21
Halfshell
Magical Truthsaying Turtle

Don't complain to me. I don't care.
Red face

Aaah. Tiger Force Psyche-Out was a European exclusive, and there's a separate section for that. So glad I've found him on the site now - thought I was going insane.

Halfshell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2010-06-22, 08:39 PM   #22
Sades
Ms. Snarkypants

In a hut by a river on top of a big ol hill.
Thumbs up

We never got planes, for some reason. Planes would have been so awesome.

Oh, I think I might have lied... thought technically speaking the Tomahawk isn't a plane.

http://www.yojoe.com/action/88/frostbite2.shtml

I remember having that guy kicking around. I'm pretty sure we had three or four different versions of that guy, in fact. Or it could just be that multiples were bought to keep us kids from fighting.

[edit] Snowcat, yes. The other(s)? I don't remember that version of vehicle so they probably came in boxes of garage-sale toys we picked up, minus vehicles. Or I just forgot.

Air Chariot.

['nother edit] Was totally thinking of something else. Dagnabit.

bookbookbookbookbookbook bookbookbookbookbookbook bookbookbookbookbookbook bookbookblaghbookbookbook bookbookbookbookbookbook bookbookbookbookbookbook bookbookbookbookbookbook bookbookbookbookbookbook bookbookbookbookbookbook

Last edited by Sades; 2010-06-22 at 09:22 PM.
Sades is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2010-06-22, 09:50 PM   #23
Cliffjumper
Cellar Door

Smile

It's weird now much bits of the line have imprinted on me considering (or maybe because) I didn't have much of it. I really want one of those little one-man Cobra helicopters just because I really, really remember the little ball-turret on the front. I also really remember how pasty most of the original figures were - the strangest thing about the new stuff is that they're generally a fairly normal colour.

UK releases, if I'm remembering what I read the other day correctly, were roughly a year behind, as opposed to basically the same as with Transformers, plus a lot of the early stuff was skipped by Palitoy in favour of their own originated stuff (and lots of early Joes were completely recoloured to be SAS figures and the like). There was also a lot less released over here, with a lot of the overtly American stuff skipped - this is why the UK original material exists, so that pages and pages weren't spent advertising figures that weren't in UK shops.

Most characters were reassigned to various nationalities (Flint, Crankcase and Wild Bill were British, Barbecue was Italian, Airtight was German, Beach Head was from New Zealand and so on). Duke, Scarlett, Snake-Eyes and others were still American, but as part of the American branch of Action Force (which is why the 'joining forces' bit doesn't make sense - the US reprints had always purported to just show the further advenures of the US branch of Action Force, not GI Joe). IIRC Destro was Scottish in the US material anyway.

Weird as it sounds, I kinda prefer the idea of International Heroes to the occasional nationalistic bent of Hama's comics - there's at least one scene where civilians are demonstrated to be bad people because they own German cars rather than the multicoloured tanks crapped out by American manufacturers.

Cliffjumper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2010-06-22, 10:07 PM   #24
Sades
Ms. Snarkypants

In a hut by a river on top of a big ol hill.
Red face

You know what I found strange? The website said that the Canadian toys had the American flag swapped out for the Canadian one, but all I can remember (what I can remember, anyway) on our toys was American flags. Highly possible that a lot of them had swapped out insignia, as I know there's a host of figures we had that I haven't looked for yet (I can't spend all day looking at Joe figures) but from what I can recall, it was American. I guess it's time for a sibling poll.

bookbookbookbookbookbook bookbookbookbookbookbook bookbookbookbookbookbook bookbookblaghbookbookbook bookbookbookbookbookbook bookbookbookbookbookbook bookbookbookbookbookbook bookbookbookbookbookbook bookbookbookbookbookbook
Sades is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2010-06-22, 10:09 PM   #25
inflatable dalek
Duke of Kidderminster

Kidderminster UK
Smile

Interestingly enough the film is much more of an Action Force movie in a lot of ways, even down to the nationality reassignments (in relation to the original RAH stuff of course). Though considering no one seemed to notice this effort they might as well have not bothered.

I didn't know Flint wasn't British in the American version as well, I guess because the 80's film (my main reference point for what these characters sound like) either doesn't have a speaking part for him or it's not very memorable. I always thought that little badge on his cap was some sort of regimental thing.

inflatable dalek is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2010-06-22, 10:47 PM   #26
Cliffjumper
Cellar Door

Smile

He actually got to be a bit important in the old film, just not in a very time-consuming way (he's in charge of the squad that finds Roadblock, and technically leads the assault on Cobra-La after contacting Hot Rod Falcon, Arcee Jinx, Blurr Big Lob & co.). He does have a fairly neutral accent, though.

Fun fact: lots of armies have regiments. Flint was ex-special forces both sides of the Atlantic, though obviously the British version was ex-SAS and thus among the hardest men to ever walk the Earth, the American version less so. I'm seriously tempted to round up all the Palitoy SAS stuff (Blood for the Baron, while completely biased towards the Fleetway/Palitoy axis rather than Marvel/Hasbro, is the flat-out best site to read for this stuff), because they're the ****ing SAS. Who cares if they don't have elbows or knees?

Old 2010-06-23, 08:42 AM   #27
S_Windell
Dinobot

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wildrider View Post
Got some classics, like the sniper in the wooly beany, Longshot?

I also had a really cool guy in fatigues a jungle hat and a shotgun, it wasn't Recondo in his battle kayak, one of the later ones.

Ah memories, I still have the German chemical weapons guy Airtight? His weapon was crap. But his outfit was cool and I used to look out for him in the comics.
The sniper/wool cap guy is Lowlight. One of my favorite figures from the line! And a potentially cool but underused character. Longshot would've been a nice name for him though. In fact, it took me a few seconds before I go, "wait, no...he wasn't called that..."

The guy with the jungle gear and shotgun. Did he come with some type of dog? I think I know exactly who you mean. But surely you'd remember and mention the dog if it's him...

Airtight was really cool looking, yeah. But he didn't really have a weapon, per se, it was chem neutralization gear, which in the least made sense.

Quote:
Originally Posted by inflatable dalek View Post
I didn't know Flint wasn't British in the American version as well, I guess because the 80's film (my main reference point for what these characters sound like) either doesn't have a speaking part for him or it's not very memorable. I always thought that little badge on his cap was some sort of regimental thing.
He has a grand total of ONE line in the movie. Incidentally, most of the emblems on those figures are loosely based on real life American military ones. The one on Flint's beret is most likely based on the Army's 86th division...

S_Windell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2010-06-23, 09:16 AM   #28
Cliffjumper
Cellar Door

Smile

Flint has more than one line in the animated movie - it's him who suggests taking a team of Joes to look for the team of Joes who got lost because they're short on numbers (go figure), and he calls Falcon to explain the effect of the spores. Not sure if he gets some more generic stuff in there, though.

It's probably to his credit that he's not in it much, though - it's a terrible, terrible movie. God knows what out-and-out fans of the cartoon made of their favourites being basically made to look shit (TF:TM has nothing on it for humiliating existing characters, be it Snake-Eyes getting clobbered by one of those dolphin-nosed guards, most of the big name Cobras being glorified extras, the moronic Cobra-La...).

Old 2010-06-23, 10:29 AM   #29
inflatable dalek
Duke of Kidderminster

Kidderminster UK
Smile

I don't know, I only really perk up during the Cobra-La stuff, mainly because the design work and thought put into creating a techno-organic culture is really impressive. I especially love the little crab carpet. What happens to Cobra Commander is frankly still terrifying as well.

The Joe stuff on the other hand, apart from them having an internationally famous wrestler working for their top secret organisation under his own stage name, is just a bit dull. And even in the 80's Falcon would probably be done for sexual harassment of Jinx. And would Hawk really be allowed to have his own brother under his command? We're not allowed family on the same department at work and we're only a supermarket.

Never knew American units had those little coat of arms style badges as well. And now I know ect.

Old 2010-06-23, 11:54 AM   #30
Cliffjumper
Cellar Door

Smile

Not sure how it's sexual harrassment seeing as they're obviously in some form of relationship before his security ****-up - they've dated recently (as she tells Zaranna), she's just trying to get on with her work. He was Duke's brother (or was it half-brother?) in the film (in the comic he's just some guy, IIRC, though he's in it less than Chuckles), and it seemed to be news to Hawk at least.

GI Joe's an ad-hoc unit featuring basketball players, MPOs, ninjas, a guy wearing a Cobra uniform with graffiti on it, a lump in a Hawaiian shirt (one of at least two dumb Joes), a couple of pacifists, at least two dogs and so on. Seeing as they couldn't hope to function as any sort of integrated conventional military unit it follows that they aren't bound to typical regulations. Plus it makes sense - they're meant to be the cream of all the various branches, why let something like that get in the way of a promising recruit?

IIRC the only reason it doesn't really happen in the army now is to avoid Saving Private Ryan-style scenarios, as much for PR as anything else. Family being kept seperate in the workplace is largely for the security of the employer - if a manager's brother is the one with their hand in the till, they're less likely to ship them, and so on.

Old 2010-06-23, 12:16 PM   #31
inflatable dalek
Duke of Kidderminster

Kidderminster UK
Smile

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cliffjumper View Post
He was Duke's brother (or was it half-brother?) in the film (in the comic he's just some guy, IIRC, though he's in it less than Chuckles), and it seemed to be news to Hawk at least.
Errr, well done, you spotted my deliberate mistake. Made on purpose because...err...

Visionaries. Now there was a proper toyline. Action Force didn't have holograms the losers.

Quote:
IIRC the only reason it doesn't really happen in the army now is to avoid Saving Private Ryan-style scenarios, as much for PR as anything else. Family being kept seperate in the workplace is largely for the security of the employer - if a manager's brother is the one with their hand in the till, they're less likely to ship them, and so on.
I don't know, I think the film shows a pretty good argument for it. He lies to his superiors (or at least withholds) about having them being brothers, argues in favour of him in a way he probably wouldn't for Joe Bloggs in the same position and ultimately gets himself "Put in a coma" by taking a snake for him. Not a good day for Duke all in all (though I suppose you could argue he'd take the snake for anyone as he's just that kind of guy even if the higher ups would probably rather not have their top rank soliders doing that sort of thing due to being more valuable).

Old 2010-06-23, 12:40 PM   #32
Cliffjumper
Cellar Door

Smile

What top ranks? In the cartoon, the only person who outranks Duke is Hawk (IIRC Flint is on the same level as Duke), who doesn't have a problem with it.
The cartoon version has an even loser military structure than the comic version. It's not like Duke completely screwed GI Joe with his actions - his pleas for clemency at the court martial lead to the Joes ending the film victorious and with a much-improved Lieutenant Falcon.

Old 2010-06-23, 12:49 PM   #33
inflatable dalek
Duke of Kidderminster

Kidderminster UK
Smile

[distracting from the increasing level of inaccuracy in my posts]Plasitc dinosaurs! Now they were awesome toys. Better than soldiers and cheaper yet basically the same as the official Jurassic Park stuff.[/Distracting from the increasing level of inaccuracy in my posts]

Interesting to see how many people did have lots of the toys here actually, I've tended to find Action Force has completely slipped through the cracks of people's memories even though the film and other tapes likely did well at a rental level. I've found it saves time when trying to encourage people to watch the new film just to say it's based on Action Man (roughly true, even if I don't think the version of Action Man most people my age think of when I say that had anything to do with it. But at least just about everyone's heard of it, I find trying to explain Action Force usually gets people backing away slowly).

Old 2010-06-23, 03:03 PM   #34
Halfshell

Red face

Following my research for my earlier post last night, I went rummaging about online for DVDs of the series.

I found the entire collection boxset on Amazon.com in chunky deluxe packaging and was tempted.

Really nice of them to put a clip of the series on the product page. Killed my enthusiasm stone dead. Yay.

Old 2010-06-23, 03:11 PM   #35
inflatable dalek
Duke of Kidderminster

Kidderminster UK
Red face

Damn, that is a really nice box though.

Old 2010-06-23, 03:13 PM   #36
Halfshell

Smile

I know!

If it were half the price and had some actual content in it, I'd be all over that.

Old 2010-06-23, 03:25 PM   #37
Hound
Married to Sadie

Henshin!

I wants it!

Hound is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2010-06-23, 03:43 PM   #38
inflatable dalek
Duke of Kidderminster

Kidderminster UK
Red face

Buy it, take the DVD's out, put something useful like a bicycle pump inside and sell it to Halfshell to make half your money back.

Old 2010-06-23, 09:46 PM   #39
Cliffjumper
Cellar Door

Rise of Cobra is probably the shittest film I've seen for a long, long time. LOL comedy black guy! Black guy makes jokes and refuses to take situation seriously! LOL funny black man! LOL funny black man can't use his stupid suit properly because he's a funny silly black man! LOL funny black man thinks the dead guy's breakdancing because that's all funny black men understand! And the crazy Moroccan doesn't get similies! He's not as funny as the other one because he's not as black, but it's still pretty lawlsome.

Love Cakebastard's hilarious "Northerner doing a Rab C Nesbitt impression" as well. Just about pips Jonathan Price's Martin Sheen impression. Is it intentional that everyone's a c*nt? I'm meant to want GI Joe to lose this one, right? Snake-Eyes and Storm Shadow aside, what the Hell is the difference between this and some shitty random action film made by talentless ****wits? Just so we're clear, the guy playing Hawk did spent all the filming having one long stroke, yeh?

When the **** is this film going to stop?

Also, I reckon Snake-Eyes and Storm Shadow were childhood rivals. If only there were a few more scenes of kids fighting to make it clear.

HAHAHAHAHAH! Funny black man made a funny after saving the world! Love the way the girl who's probably meant to be hot can't just be bad, she's got to be mind-controlled or what-****ing-ever. This is a turd of a film.

Last edited by Cliffjumper; 2010-06-23 at 10:19 PM.
Old 2010-06-23, 10:38 PM   #40
inflatable dalek
Duke of Kidderminster

Kidderminster UK
Red face

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cliffjumper View Post
Rise of Cobra is probably the shittest film I've seen for a long, long time.
Either you've not watched any films whatsoever in a long time or I'll be... glowering at you. Yeah, take that glowering bitch.

Quote:
LOL comedy black guy! Black guy makes jokes and refuses to take situation seriously! LOL funny black man!
LOL Comedy Black Guy [I'll just call him Ripcord from now on to save time) actually saves the whole day at the end of the film by shooting down that last missile. How is he taking the situation less seriously than.. well just about anyone other than Duke (who does an angry face once he finds out his ex is involved and doesn't lose it) and Hawk (who gets stabbed through the chest and has reason to be pissed)?. His only really painful jokes are when he's drugged and when he's off duty and trying to get his end away on Scarlette.

Quote:
LOL funny black man can't use his stupid suit properly because he's a funny silly black man!
Does he actually use the suit that much worse than Duke? Especially considering he's only let through the training because they need Duke and he''ll only join if Ripcord can as well? He's still standing at the end despite the fact he should be dead ten times over and he doesn't get captured like Duke does either.

Quote:
LOL funny black man thinks the dead guy's breakdancing because that's all funny black men understand!
He makes a crap joke about the [deeply silly] sight in front of him. I can't see gags about break-dancing as just being a "Black Guy" thing now though, it's fairly mainstream these days isn't it?

Quote:
And the crazy Moroccan doesn't get similies! He's not as funny as the other one because he's not as black, but it's still pretty lawlsome.
The serious pro faced soldier guy. A cliché yes, but not really anything to do with colour (BlokeFromLost is basically playing the same hard core old soldier guy that Jesse Ventura plays in Predator after all).

Quote:
Love Cakebastard's hilarious "Northerner doing a Rab C Nesbitt impression" as well. Just about pips Jonathan Price's Martin Sheen impression.
I don't mind Eccles in this, he's clearly hamming it up but in a fun way. I'm not sure Price actually sounds any different from an American when he's speaking normally these days anyway so the accent didn't bother me there either.

Quote:
Is it intentional that everyone's a c*nt? I'm meant to want GI Joe to lose this one, right? Snake-Eyes and Storm Shadow aside, what the Hell is the difference between this and some shitty random action film made by talentless ****wits?
Snake-Eyes himself isn't very much like the original RAH versions though is he? You've got a mute ninja who can't speak because of a hideous disfigurement who was like a brother to Storm Shadow Vs. a ninja who choses not to speak and never much liked the guy in white to start with [Assuming the "aside" bit means "aside from these two what makes it GI Joe"].

I really can't see how anyone could hate this film. It's very, very, very silly, but it's fun, passes the two hours without getting boring, the cast is pretty much spot on and is all round a better young kids film than Revenge of the Fallen is.

I don't understand any accusation of racism towards it either (as implied by the spoof "LOL Black man" stuff), Ripcord is the film's second lead, and despite having a lot of comedy stuff (though that's relative in a film that's not very serious anyway) saves the day and gets the [white] lead good female character (as opposed to Duke, who ends up with the lead villainess).

Plus, Waynas is pretty much playing himself, or at least his standard screen persona. I'm not sure how "Black actor plays his standard part" is worthy of mockery when Skids and Mudflap (white actors throw a bunch of Wigger clichés about) isn't.

EDIT: Though for the record I don't think either is racist, and find the twins funny as silly comic relief, mainly because that's what my cousins were a few years ago.