• transformers live-action movies
  • transformers fandom
  • transformers forum

Go Back   TFARCHIVE > TRANSFORMERS > Transformers News & Rumours

Old 2010-11-03, 11:02 PM   #81
another tf fan
I'm your freak-a-zoid

USA

I'm psyched... I think Prime will be "rightfully huge".

another tf fan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2010-11-04, 08:18 AM   #82
NightHawk
Psychiotic brutality

The Netherlands

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sades View Post
Comments like this always surprise me now, given the amount of character redesigns that have gone on in the past, ooh... fifteen, sixteen years. It's not a "wrong" reaction... it's just surprising to me.
Well I suppose it can be surprising, but I'm more pointing out at the consistency of it. Prime, throughout the years, has pretty much always been a truck, pretty much always sported red and blue colors and pretty much always a mouth plate. (No I am not counting Beast Wars, that's Primal, not Prime.)

Ever since the movie design, they suddenly have to give him a mouth all the time, Animated, IDW comics and now Prime. I don't mind redesigns at all, but some things you just don't chance. That's like giving Shockwave 2 eyes and a mouth. (No, Longarm Prime doesn't count, that's an alternate form for disguise, Shockwave remained to have 1 eye.)

NightHawk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2010-11-04, 08:27 AM   #83
inflatable dalek
Duke of Kidderminster

Kidderminster UK
Smile

I'm not familiar with the context for mouthed IDW Prime, but in the case of Animated and the new show it's likely because the main target audience is kids who only know Prime from the films... where he has a mouth. It being absent would be more odd for them.

inflatable dalek is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2010-11-04, 10:44 AM   #84
NightHawk
Psychiotic brutality

The Netherlands

Prime was first shown to have a mouth in issue 13 (I think it was 13) of All Hail Megatron, Ironhide offered him a drink and Prime accepted, he slipped his mouthplate back like movie Prime. And of course the Ongoing has Prime with a mouth.

Perhaps I'm just nitpicking, but I'm just not used with Prime having a mouth, I think it's just weird....though not as weird as this:

Old 2010-11-04, 02:45 PM   #85
Cliffjumper
Cellar Door

Sod the face plate, I'd love it if something so accomplished as that artwork appeared in a comic now, rather than the Bryan Hitch mimicking stuff filled with Photoshopped colours, complete with character models reinvented on the whim of an egotistical penciller.

Cliffjumper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2010-11-04, 07:54 PM   #86
praetorian
Powermaster

Here's another 30-sec clip for the new show. It may even solve the recent debate here, since Prime is shown in this clip with a faceplate.

http://www.facebook.com/video/video....4210041&ref=mf

It seems appropriate to me that Prime would put his faceplate up when he's in battle (like he did in the two recent films, in Animated, and in Beast Wars), and that he put his faceplate down when talking with other Autobots or even humans (which he also did in the two recent films, in Animated, and in Beast Wars). Personally, I think he looks better with the faceplate up, but I've never really grasped the concept of a Transformer having a mouth/teeth, etc. But I can appreciate the artistic and even marketing reasons for having a Prime with a mouth.

praetorian is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2010-11-04, 08:39 PM   #87
Jaynz
Puppy Kicker

In Beast Wars, Optimus Prime was only shown with his faceplate on. :P

Jaynz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2010-11-04, 08:45 PM   #88
inflatable dalek
Duke of Kidderminster

Kidderminster UK
Thumbs up

Quote:
Originally Posted by NightHawk View Post
Prime was first shown to have a mouth in issue 13 (I think it was 13) of All Hail Megatron, Ironhide offered him a drink and Prime accepted, he slipped his mouthplate back like movie Prime. And of course the Ongoing has Prime with a mouth.
Ah yes, I've repressed most of the Coda.

inflatable dalek is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2010-11-05, 07:47 AM   #89
NightHawk
Psychiotic brutality

The Netherlands

Quote:
Originally Posted by praetorian View Post
Here's another 30-sec clip for the new show. It may even solve the recent debate here, since Prime is shown in this clip with a faceplate.

http://www.facebook.com/video/video....4210041&ref=mf

It seems appropriate to me that Prime would put his faceplate up when he's in battle (like he did in the two recent films, in Animated, and in Beast Wars), and that he put his faceplate down when talking with other Autobots or even humans (which he also did in the two recent films, in Animated, and in Beast Wars). Personally, I think he looks better with the faceplate up, but I've never really grasped the concept of a Transformer having a mouth/teeth, etc. But I can appreciate the artistic and even marketing reasons for having a Prime with a mouth.
Speaking of Animated, holy crap was that Bulkhead I saw?! He looks awesome.

And I notice that, Prime is given a more younger adult look. Like a lead character who is between his 20's and 30's

Old 2010-11-05, 10:29 AM   #90
Summerhayes
always late to the party

Somerset, England.

Well, 20-30 millions...

Summerhayes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2010-11-05, 03:47 PM   #91
praetorian
Powermaster

Quote:
Originally Posted by TFVanguard View Post
In Beast Wars, Optimus Prime was only shown with his faceplate on. :P
http://tfwiki.net/wiki/Faceplate

Quote:
Optimus Primal was shown to have a mouthplate which would slide into place when he entered battle. This was used to reconcile the presence of an actual mouth on his animation model with the lack thereof on his toy. Later retoolings of the toy reflected the animation model.

Old 2010-11-05, 03:51 PM   #92
Notabot
Lutheran

Lowden, IA

The transformation animation for Bumblebee was a little rough. Sort of jumped from half car to half robot abruptly. I'm not expecting fully accurate transformation sequences every time, but this is your "please watch the show" ad. You'd think they'd put their best foot forward. (Unless that is their best foot and all other transformations take place behind trees or off camera.)

Notabot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2010-11-05, 04:41 PM   #93
Jaynz
Puppy Kicker

Quote:
And you completely missed the point.... Optimus Prime was not shown without a faceplate in Beast Wars. Know your Optimi!

Old 2010-11-05, 09:09 PM   #94
Wildrider
Death blossom deployed!

Sneaking out the back door since 1978

To faceplate or not to faceplate is so 2007, is that the best quibble we can come up with?

I'm personally happy with explosions, shiny things and quips and maybe plot.

Could be a lot worse, I followed a link to G.I. Joe Renegades, nicely drawn, but with all the animated flair of a dodgy motion comic.

Wildrider is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2010-11-05, 09:53 PM   #95
Summerhayes
always late to the party

Somerset, England.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Notabot View Post
The transformation animation for Bumblebee was a little rough. Sort of jumped from half car to half robot abruptly.
He also seemed to skip from one part of the air to another. I got the impression that wasn't the whole clip but had been chopped up A) for speed and B) so the whole transformation wasn't given away. Like all the transformations in the trailers for the first movie.

Summerhayes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2010-11-05, 10:02 PM   #96
Jaynz
Puppy Kicker

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wildrider View Post
To faceplate or not to faceplate is so 2007, is that the best quibble we can come up with?
Eh, for me it's just a distinction, mentally, between Optimus Prime and Optimus Primal. The 'lips' make it a different character for me, really. Granted, that's just me personally speaking, and it's far from any real beef I have with the upcoming series.

Old 2010-12-09, 04:21 PM   #97
praetorian
Powermaster

So, Prime has started; the five-part miniseries, Darkness Rising, seems to have had good success.

Thoughts, anyone?

Here are some I had:
1. The overall story-line seems to be in continuity with the War for Cybertron game. I like that the Autobots are actually Robots in Disguise and no one but this agent from the Pentagon has had any contact with them, until the kids come into the picture. Their alt modes actually have a proper function.

2. The CGI is OK. I do like both the robot and vehicle models. Starscream, for instance, carries a balance between being a sleek fighter jet, while also being accurately displayed with a skulking gait and overall devious look. Prime himself looks both powerful and wise, and his truck mode doesn't have any unnecessary flare.

3. The kids are not as annoying as the kids in Armada/Energon/Cybertron/Animated. Except the girl. She's annoying and the attempts at making her, along with Bulkhead, the comedy relief of the show doesn't really seem to fit most of the time.

SPOILER! (select to read)
Cliffjumper was killed way too easily and too soon.

5. I am a big fan of G1 and TF:TM. But, really, does every battle between Megatron and Prime have to be played out like it's the last time they're going to fight each other? When Optimus said, "One shall stand, one shall fall" in TF:TM, he meant it. Using that line again cheapens what once was an epic nature to the phrase.

6. This really is a good mixture of movie-verse models, styling, and storyline, with Animated softening and G1 references, with Cybertron-esque CGI. Other than Beast Wars, this show may have some of the tightest dialogue and script.

Old 2010-12-09, 04:32 PM   #98
Cliffjumper
Cellar Door

Wink

Quote:
Thoughts, anyone?
One or two.

Cliffjumper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2011-02-01, 10:58 PM   #99
praetorian
Powermaster

TV Guide's one-line summaries of upcoming episodes 6, 7, and 8:

http://www.tvguide.com/tvshows/trans...eason-1/308171

SPOILER! (select to read)
New characters revealed as well: Skyquake and Wheeljack.

Old 2011-02-02, 12:05 AM   #100
Bluecatcinema
Dinobot

Nice info. I hope the Decepticons get a decent amount of members in this series. Character-wise, things always seem to tilt in favor of the Autobots.

Bluecatcinema is offline   Reply With Quote