• transformers cartoon
  • transformers live-action movies
  • transformers fandom
  • transformers forum
Old 2010-11-30, 09:36 PM   #41
Hound
Married to Sadie

Henshin!

I finally finished Zeta Gundam and Char's Counterattack.

What I really like best about these were just how beautifully they were animated.

I do prefer the Zeta series over the movies. The last series of battles are a whole lot easier to follow that way and it helps that they were in english too.

The only thing I didn't get was the Axis were helping the AEUG against the Titans and then at the start of an episode the AEUG is being attacked by the Axis. I felt like I'd missed the part of the story where Axis turns on the AEUG. Which I suppose could have happened, I'm sure I zoned out a couple times watching 50 episodes of cartoons.

As for the movie, Quess was a little twat huh? I was hoping for something more of a moment when she got killed. Little bitch.

Hathaway was an idiot, poor moron should've been killed without much notice from anyone.

A little jarring Char going from really a good guy to a complete bastard. Is he in ZZ at all? Do we get to see him taking over Zeon?

I think I'm going to take a break from Gundam for a bit before watching 08th MS Team. I don't want to burn out on all of this.

1921\4\6-2010\1\21 Goodbye Grandma, I love you
Hound is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2010-11-30, 09:49 PM   #42
Cliffjumper
Cellar Door

Smile

No, neither him nor Amuro are in ZZ - Bright is, Hayato is, Kamille is and (IIRC) Fa is, plus maybe Astronage and a couple of lesser lights (I've yet to watch it all the way through, and haven't seen any of it for a while, though the Amuro/Char thing is fact, despite them being in the start titles). So no, we've just basically got to assume Char's decided to get nasty as the AEUG thing didn't make any long-term difference to the way Earth was being run. Apparently Tomino planned to have them both in ZZ but cut them when CCA was green-lighted, though I'm not entirely sure why they couldn't be in both, and there's a feeling we've missed a big chunk of the story (not just for Char, but for Amuro suddenly being back in the saddle with an elite federation unit).

And yeh, I think I said it up-thread, but Neo-Zeon suddenly folding in to Zeta really screws the thing. It feels like the Titans plot (which is generally much better) never really gets dealt with properly, despite Scirocco still ebing the main bastard.

I despise Quess and Hathaway... the whole pointless subplot drags CCA down from being a five-star Be Invoked-level epic to being a bit more uneven. And it's a shame because just about every other part of it (apart from Char's VA mispronouncing "Titans" in the middle of a grand speech, which always makes me laugh and spoils the mood) is superb - the Char/Amuro duels are epic, there's the superb intro for the v-Gundam where it turns back a Zeon attack from the other side of space (possibly missing Corin Nander screaming "GUUUUNDAAAAM!", though that probably would have caused major continuity errors... well, more major continutiy errors as I don't think we were ever given half an explanation for Corin...), the random grunt going "We're not going to let Londo Bell take all the credit!", ****ing awesome stuff.

Tomino sadly has a bit of a habit of needlessly shoving annoying children into a lot of things - Hathaway's basically... name's gone... runt moron from Zeta who dies comically flying into an asteroid - was it Katz or the other one... and you think right, that's it, the annoying guy's gone now, but you get a new one. Like when you're watching Zeta and thinking "Hey, isn't it great not having three annoying kids around the whole time?" and then three get stuffed in with the AEUG for no reason.

Cliffjumper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2010-12-01, 10:54 PM   #43
Sunstreaker2
It's a Gundam!

Trumbauersville, PA

Great, I get to be the one guy in existence who doesn't hate Quess.

I never liked CCA, the actual Amuro Vs. Char stuff seemed too short, and so many of the characters were flat out brainless.

Especially Hathaway "Murdering Comrades is Okay!" Noa, and Gyunei "I Can Totally Have Char's Girl!" Guss.

Plus Chan was really really boring. I wish they would have just kept Beltorchika around.

No longer looking for RID Dreadwind, but I still need Smokejumper. I'm also in need of Mammoth Nemesis Prime's tail piece, as my figure lacks it. Send me a PM.
Sunstreaker2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2010-12-03, 11:26 PM   #44
Jaynz
Puppy Kicker

Chan was originally going to be Char's sister.. no idea why that didn't stick. It's even mentioned twice in Zeta, making this sudden 'new' love interest all the more confusing. (She would have been more of the center of conflict as her husband and brother, both of whom she had strong loyalties, were busy trying to kill one another...)

Quess is better in the frackin' Dynasty Warrior game. :P

Hathaway is probably the most worthless character in all of Gundam. I actually can't think of a worse one, including the annoying kids.

Jaynz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2010-12-04, 04:07 AM   #45
Sunstreaker2
It's a Gundam!

Trumbauersville, PA

What about Katz?

He's up there.

No longer looking for RID Dreadwind, but I still need Smokejumper. I'm also in need of Mammoth Nemesis Prime's tail piece, as my figure lacks it. Send me a PM.
Old 2010-12-04, 04:08 AM   #46
Jaynz
Puppy Kicker

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sunstreaker2 View Post
What about Katz?

He's up there.
Katz is pretty damn close, but Hathaway manages to beat him out in sheer dumbassery. (Katz doesn't actually MURDER HIS PARTNER for saving his life...)

Old 2010-12-20, 09:18 AM   #47
Hound
Married to Sadie

Henshin!

I finished 08th MS Team and watched the first 3 eps of MS IGLOO.

I liked 08th MS Team but I think I actually prefer the more epic feel of Mobile Suit Gundam and Zeta Gundam.

MS IGLOO has been pretty damn cool though so far. It's told form the perspective of a Zeon unit during the One Year War and it's pretty damned good. I still don't care for the look of it all but the story makes up for it. Char's even in it for a second or two...

Old 2010-12-20, 12:10 PM   #48
Sunstreaker2
It's a Gundam!

Trumbauersville, PA

I need to go back to my masochistic quest to watch the SEEDverse.

I went movie with Destiny because 8 hours of Shinn is infinitely more survivable than 25 hours of Shinn.

Old 2011-02-03, 02:04 AM   #49
Hound
Married to Sadie

Henshin!

I finished watching all the MS IGLOO series.

The first six were all from the Zeon POV and they were awesome. It's this crew of engineers and rookies whose job it is to evaluate experimental weapons. It follows them through these test missions at pivotal moments in the one-year-war. Very tragic stuff. Lots of death. I didn't care for the CG animation but otherwise it was brilliant.

The final 3 episodes were from the Federation POV and had some weird "Death God" entity thing. It was all very weird. Not bad, just a little too out there for my taste.

Old 2011-02-03, 08:10 PM   #50
miked23
Powermaster

Burlington, Ontario Canada

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hound View Post
I finished 08th MS Team and watched the first 3 eps of MS IGLOO.

I liked 08th MS Team but I think I actually prefer the more epic feel of Mobile Suit Gundam and Zeta Gundam.
08th MS Team was really good, Probably my favorite series next to Wing.

Have you seen War in the Pocket?

miked23 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2011-02-03, 08:53 PM   #51
Hound
Married to Sadie

Henshin!

Quote:
Originally Posted by miked23 View Post
08th MS Team was really good, Probably my favorite series next to Wing.

Have you seen War in the Pocket?
I haven't, but I've got that and Stardust Memory on DVD coming. Should be here monday.

Then I've just got to get through ZZ and Victory and I'll be all done with the UC cartoons.

I guess I'll be watching Gundam Wing after that. Still not sure though. I just can't seem to make it through that first DVD. Every time I start watching it I get bored and fall asleep.

1921\4\6-2010\1\21 Goodbye Grandma, I love you
Old 2011-02-03, 11:20 PM   #52
Sunstreaker2
It's a Gundam!

Trumbauersville, PA

Wing truly gets good when the Gundam pilots are put in the clutch due to OZ getting stronger and the colonies no longer desiring their help.

Old 2011-02-04, 12:28 AM   #53
miked23
Powermaster

Burlington, Ontario Canada

Quote:
Originally Posted By: Hound

I haven't, but I've got that and Stardust Memory on DVD coming. Should be here monday.
Plot and character wise, Stardust Memory isn't that great. But the awesome gundams and some of the fights you get in it easily make up for the lack of story and character development.

War in the Pocket is the opposite I found not as much action but the characters and story are really solid.

Quote:
I guess I'll be watching Gundam Wing after that. Still not sure though. I just can't seem to make it through that first DVD. Every time I start watching it I get bored and fall asleep.
Yeah Wing has a habit of getting really boring at points especially with all the damn clip episodes. But like Sunstreaker2 said it does get really good later on so I'd try to stick with it.

miked23 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2011-02-10, 08:23 PM   #54
Hound
Married to Sadie

Henshin!

Quote:
Originally Posted by miked23 View Post
Plot and character wise, Stardust Memory isn't that great. But the awesome gundams and some of the fights you get in it easily make up for the lack of story and character development.

War in the Pocket is the opposite I found not as much action but the characters and story are really solid.

Yeah Wing has a habit of getting really boring at points especially with all the damn clip episodes. But like Sunstreaker2 said it does get really good later on so I'd try to stick with it.
Just finished watching War in the Pocket. I liked it but it seemed a little rushed. They had a lot going on with Bernie and Chris and the kid and his family and the Zeon Commander guy but none of it gets expanded on and so you're left with a lot of stuff that you don't get to see happen. Plus it's got such a bummer of an ending...

I'll be watching Stardust Memory next and I guess a change to something a little more action oriented will be nice after 0080.

As for Gundam Wing, like I said before I'll watch the 2 DVDs I have, which is the first 10 episodes, if I'm hooked by then I'll get the rest and the movie but if not I may come back to it sometime later. After I've watched some of the other, like Turn A.

Old 2011-02-10, 08:42 PM   #55
Cliffjumper
Cellar Door

Red face

You've seen more of it than me now.

But you still haven't seen Turn A, which is the best one IMO. A bit Marmite, but rewarding after you adjust to the pacing. Harry Ord is awesome, Loran is probably the most adorable protagonist of any Gundam series, the design work is fabulous (Gundam + steampunk = win), the music is fabulous (spoiler-free link - http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=A2NkIJyRylw), the Gundam Hammer gets a revival and it's really, really funny in places.

Wing I still largely hate. Everyone's just too... ****y. Duo excepted, it's a bunch of emo prettyboys monologuing cod philosophy at each other.

Cliffjumper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2011-02-10, 10:40 PM   #56
Hound
Married to Sadie

Henshin!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cliffjumper View Post
You've seen more of it than me now.
I dunno about that, I've still not watched ZZ or Victory and those are not short series. I've just seen more different series.

So far I've not been disappointed in anything but Wing. I'm willing to give it a chance. Maybe I'll find myself in a mood where pretty looking mobile suits in really cool fight scenes is enough and I can push through everything that's not that in the series.

As for Turn A, I'm really looking forward to it. It's my motivation to finish the rest of the UC stuff. I figure if the stuff I watch before it gets boring or awful I can always go, "Get through this and Turn A is next".

Old 2011-02-16, 05:00 AM   #57
Brave Maximus
Cybertronian Paladin

Gehenna

Wing is probably, by far the weakest of the Gundam Series excluding G Fighter. The problem is, it was the biggest seller in North Am, so people look at it with rose coloured glasses.

G Fighter is really a love it or leave it series, personally, I hate it. Apparently it gets good in the last 10 episodes or so... but I really don't want you to sit through 40 eps of CRAP.

As Cliffy said, Turn A is freakin awesome. The first time I watched it, I couldn't get into it. Now - it's easily one of the best gundam series of all time, On par with Zeta - maybe even better.

As for ZZ and Victory (I'm assuming you'll watch F91 inbetween):
It took me a year to watch ZZ. It's crap. Tomino was off at the beginning and the writing/directing team was horrible. Really was a "Villian of the week" show. After Tomino comes back (around ep 36ish) - it starts getting better and you start to see his usual style show through. There's still the Aztec space ninjas... but try and ignore it. It's really a show you need to push yourself to watch, just to get the feel of the whole UC thing.

Victory on the other hand is an amazing series, but it is VERY dark. Tomino was quite depressed, and you can actually see him getting darker as the series progress. The body count in Victory is nuts. But it is well written and most of the deaths actually affect you. You may have seen the character for 2-3 episdoes, but their death isn't a throw-away, and it has an impact.
That being said - Uso's freakin 10!!! How the hell do his feet touch the control pedals?!?!? Still great series and one of my favourite designed mechs.

Are you still sticking with UC or are you working on AU stuff as well?
Gundam X is great, and always will be my favourite series. I wish we'd get a North Am release of it. Far better than Wing and the protagonist is Likable.

Gunam 00... save it until last. It's good. But... different.

SEED & SEED Destiny.... ummm... yeah... clip shows lots of clip shows.

Have you gone into the UC OVA's?

Cliffy, have you been watching Unicorn?
I like it, it's pretty good and the 1hr format for an OVA is awesome...
that being said, 6 episodes spread out over 3 years.... not so cool.

Brave Maximus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2011-02-16, 04:13 PM   #58
Jaynz
Puppy Kicker

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brave Maximus View Post
Wing is probably, by far the weakest of the Gundam Series excluding G Fighter. The problem is, it was the biggest seller in North Am, so people look at it with rose coloured glasses.
I wouldn't go so far. I would put Wing well over either 00 or 00-2, all things considered, and definitely over Seed Destiny. I'm not remotely saying it's perfect, and Endless Waltz was dreadful, but I think there's more of a 'counter-popularity' going on with Wing than a true appraisal of its merits. I would still recommend someone for Wing, with the caveat that the first 6 episodes are so are very muddled in the emo and over-drama. Past that, even Heero calms down a bit and you can start liking the story.

Quote:
G Fighter is really a love it or leave it series, personally, I hate it. Apparently it gets good in the last 10 episodes or so... but I really don't want you to sit through 40 eps of CRAP.
I had a pretty long article here somewhere on G Gundam. I didn't hate it, but it was easy to see why a UC Gundam fan, in particular, would. There are a lot of genuinely great moments and good stories within the series, but it's mired in a lot of over-effort to be light and goofy. It comes off fairly schizophrenic.

As for ZZ and Victory (I'm assuming you'll watch F91 inbetween):

Quote:
It took me a year to watch ZZ. It's crap. Tomino was off at the beginning and the writing/directing team was horrible. Really was a "Villian of the week" show.
ZZ has three story arcs which are just terrible. Sadly the first one is the first few episodes, setting up Judeau getting the Zeta Gundam. (Moon-Moon and the Paradise Colony are the other two awful ones). If you can get past those episodes, ZZ is actually very very good. But I admit that it is asking a lot to do, particularly if you start watching ZZ right after finishing Zeta.

Judau, however, is probably the most well-adjusted, all-around awesome pilot that the UC ever throws out.

Quote:
Gundam X is great, and always will be my favourite series. I wish we'd get a North Am release of it. Far better than Wing and the protagonist is Likable.
X is supposedly getting a sub-only release soon. I haven't seen any news of it in awhile, sadly. The entire fan-sub series was on youtube recently, but it's a crap-shoot if it's been taken down by now.

Quote:
SEED & SEED Destiny.... ummm... yeah... clip shows lots of clip shows.
Tough call. I can recommend SEED to someone, though there is probably one clip-episode too many in it. Destiny is harder to stomach, though... there are a LOT of flashbacks in certain arcs of the series, on top of too many clip shows, and Shinn is just plain unlikable for the most part - requiring the series lead to switch to Athrun again. It doesn't help that the final arc was done in a hurry by a different writing crew, and just throws EVERYTHING into the mix.

Old 2011-02-16, 04:32 PM   #59
Brave Maximus
Cybertronian Paladin

Gehenna

I went back and watch Wing again recently.
The issue I have with it is - it has great MOMENTS. The fight between Zechs in Wing and Heero in the Heavy Arms is great, Quatre going nuts in the Zero, a few other things - that really are memorable.
Unfortunatly, there's a lot of story that's overly emo, or just plain doesn't make sense. I like the idea of real soldiers being against an automated army (we're starting to see this now). But most if it, if you sit back and think about, really doesn't make sense. And that's why I have a hard time recomending it over even things like 00 (I actually like the concept behind 00)

G-Fighter. I can see what you mean. If you've never seen a Gundam Series, it's probably a great starting point. But, for a series that's been hard-core Real Robot, to suddenly put out a Super Robot Drama... it... hurts ><

Ok, I'll give you - Judah is actually like-able and normal... Too bad no one else on the damn ship are! Hell, even their bad guys are nuts!!
You know it's bad when Bright (who suffered through Amuro, Katz and kids, Camille and CHAR) said "That's it, **** it, I'm out!" (not how it goes, but - it's how it feels).

I have X on HD download... if it gets a domestic release, I will be VERY happy.

That is my big issue with SEED/Destiny. I love some of the characters and Frey actually made me HATE her (which is impressive). But...
When you start noticing that every episode is made up of 1/4 recycled footage (Strike Launching and phase shifting, backpack switch, Kira going SEED, etc) - it gets a little hard to watch. Destiny is worse. It feels like they had no idea where they were going. Since SEED was a rehash of MSG (not a complaint, MS without bell-bottoms is ok in my books) - Destiny started out as trying to do a new take on Zeta... but... then fell apart. Shin was a mess. He actually made Camille look less whiney by comparrison, and that is an impressive feat.

Brave Maximus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2011-02-16, 04:47 PM   #60
Hound
Married to Sadie

Henshin!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brave Maximus View Post
I don't know at this point. I'm almost finished with Stardust Memory so I'll find ZZ and watch that next. I'm just kind of moving on next to whatever I think I will enjoy most until I get burnt out on it all. I may not get burnt out and end up watching everything. I'll see. I watched the first episode of 00 streaming somewhere and I really liked that first episode so there's some interest there. Out of all the series that I've read about the only one's that I think will be bad are G Gundam and Seed. So assuming I don't burn out first I'll watch those last.
Quote:
Have you gone into the UC OVA's?
I'm planning to watch all the UC animes. So I've got ZZ, F91 and Victory left. Oh and Unicorn but I'm going to wait until that is finished. Years from now or whatever it's going to be.