• transformers fandom
  • transformers forum

Go Back   TFARCHIVE > TRANSFORMERS > Transformers News & Rumours

Old 2012-01-21, 11:15 PM   #21
Knightdramon
Primus

York, UK

LOL, seriously?

Damn some people and their sense of self entitlement. Seriously, you'll find EVERYTHING in there. Why Hasbro sucks, why the UK sucks, why America sucks, why Americans suck, why Hasbro hates Americans, how the UK is guilty of receiving Overlord in g1...oh my god.

Saving this, forever.

HASBRO HATES THE US

F*cking morons

Knightdramon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2012-01-22, 12:05 AM   #22
Thunderwave
Gestalt

Upstate, NY

Quote:
Originally Posted by Knightdramon View Post
LOL, seriously?

Damn some people and their sense of self entitlement. Seriously, you'll find EVERYTHING in there. Why Hasbro sucks, why the UK sucks, why America sucks, why Americans suck, why Hasbro hates Americans, how the UK is guilty of receiving Overlord in g1...oh my god.

Saving this, forever.

HASBRO HATES THE US

F*cking morons
I loled. The part that always make me laugh about those posts is the fact that the posters usually can't be assed to use capital letters or even punctuation of any sort most of the time. I know the "internet is not an essay" argument, but if you can't be bothered to even remotely try to use a real language I'm going to assume it's because you're stupid and treat you as such.

Also, the "Buy only 3rd party stuff" argument always makes me assume you've got more money then sense.

Thunderwave is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2012-01-22, 12:59 AM   #23
Skyquake87
One with the Matrix

Gee, they're just f**king toys.

anyhoo.. I'm a bit lost with this 'first editions' thing. what's that all about?

also, that ebay link for wheeljack at 46.00 and counting can f**k off. seriously? seems anything with the name 'wheeljack' attached to it is a license to print money.

i had a look in the argos catalogue. not muchly inspired by prime in all honesty. i'm puzzled that a lot of folk whom hated the Animated aesthetic are all over it now that the same design ethos (pretty much) is rendered in CGI. the branding seems a bit off - what's the RiD motif for? surely folk know what to expect from Transformers by now...

Skyquake87 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2012-01-22, 11:51 AM   #24
numbat
Legends Class

Scotland, UK

Quote:
Originally Posted by Skyquake87 View Post
i'm puzzled that a lot of folk whom hated the Animated aesthetic are all over it now that the same design ethos (pretty much) is rendered in CGI. the branding seems a bit off - what's the RiD motif for? surely folk know what to expect from Transformers by now...
Not me. Couldn't stand the Animated aesthetic, and really am not into these guys at all. Still, they're great for their target audience - kids! Which is more than can be said of much of the Movie lines, although DOTM went some way to addressing this with Mechtech and generally simpler toys.

As to the RID thing - the Legion Soundwave I received from the States courtesy of Clay had a sticker on it with the 'Two toys in one - vehicle changes to robot' type thing on it, which I've not seen in the UK for ages. I guess it's still helpful to bring more people in?

numbat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2012-01-23, 02:48 PM   #25
Jaynz
Puppy Kicker

Quote:
Originally Posted by Skyquake87 View Post
anyhoo.. I'm a bit lost with this 'first editions' thing. what's that all about?
Those molds were originally going to be part of the Generations line, with Prime and FoC joining into Classics, basically. There was also going to be longer down time between those figures and Prime getting its own line in entirety.

Quote:
i had a look in the argos catalogue. not muchly inspired by prime in all honesty. i'm puzzled that a lot of folk whom hated the Animated aesthetic are all over it now that the same design ethos (pretty much) is rendered in CGI.
"Animated Done Right?" I'm not a huge fan of the faces, but I admit the overall aesthetic which blends both Animated and Movieverse together actually does a better job in looks than the two parts of it. Not exactly my favorite look, but I'm much happier with it than I have been with the main line in about a decade now.

Quote:
the branding seems a bit off - what's the RiD motif for? surely folk know what to expect from Transformers by now...
Trademark. They have to use the motto "Robots In Disguise" regularly or risk losing it to a competitor.

Jaynz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2012-01-23, 09:32 PM   #26
Knightdramon
Primus

York, UK

Having seen VYGR Optimus and Megatron...WTF is happening with this line?

RID Bumblebee looks like DOTM Skids when compared to FE Bumblebee.

RID Cliffjumper is smaller than a pigeon's crap. I mean REALLY small.

RID Wheeljack looks okay but only because there's no previous mould to compare him to. Thankfully he's bigger than Cliffjumper.

RID Prime, while actually having a decent transformation, ends up sub par next to the FE one. Did they just ignore the back kibble? And what's up with that godawful gun?

RID Megatron doesn't look half bad and has a better integrated gun but he's DOTM Megatron height, slightly taller.

DOTM had mechtech guns as big as the figures in some cases, hence the downsizing. What does RID Cliffjumper have?

Man, I love the show and wanted to go apeshit on the line. Now...I'm not sure I want much of it.

Old 2012-01-23, 09:44 PM   #27
Thunderwave
Gestalt

Upstate, NY

Quote:
DOTM had mechtech guns as big as the figures in some cases, hence the downsizing. What does RID Cliffjumper have?
Raw awesome styling.

Old 2012-01-23, 09:48 PM   #28
Denyer
Shooty Dog Thing

UK

Wheeljack looks oddly like Bludgeon, TBH.

Denyer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2012-01-23, 09:55 PM   #29
Cliffjumper
Cellar Door

Red face

Quote:
Man, I love the show and wanted to go apeshit on the line. Now...I'm not sure I want much of it.
You're just trying to stop me from ranting, aren't you?

These are clearing out of Argos stores at incredible rates as far as I can tell, presumably to be sold to impatient Americans for ridiculous rates. So I'm not likely to get Jacky far ahead of anyone else (especially as I probably spent close to a hundred quid on DotM Leadfoot, Que & Soundwave, which is about 3 times retail overall assuming they get this far).

For those who don't know, Argos is a catalogue store with no stock on shelves, and everything's dealt with by assortment - meaning that if you were to make a reservation or online order for a Revealer they could end up with anything from the range. Obviously if you're in store the staff will generally bring one of each type they have in store down from the stockroom for you to pick one, but these are being brought up a case at a time by people who've got the cash to stump up the 150 to order/reserve a dozen at a time - virtually guaranteeing two of each - pick what they want and sell on the rest to make a profit (and thus probably giving enough funds to go again; these'll hold UK retail prices on ebay even after they get to stores with shelves, so it's very low risk). It's basically a scalpers' dream of a system. I wonder if that girl I slept with still works in the one in town?

tl;dr So it's a pretty ****ed-up way for Hasbro to do it even for the UK; give it a week an as many of these will be in American hands as British, and very few of them will be in the hands of kids, which is pretty sad when you think about it.

EDIT: Actually, it's not ****ed up for Hasbro, is it? They've basically guaranteed that Argos will be shifting cases and cases of these guys for a month or two faster than they can stock them.

Cliffjumper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2012-01-23, 10:18 PM   #30
Knightdramon
Primus

York, UK

It's a pretty shitty way for kids. They can't choose which one they want if the employer is somebody stupid enough not to bother getting them out?

Most of it is sold to impatient Americans, heh, that's an understatement. It amazes me how some people can't wait a MONTH to get the very first wave and prefer to buy it for 5 times the price. It's not an exclusive, it's not a specialty item, it's not an overseas line [eg Japanese Masterpiece]. It's the FIRST wave of the next MAINLINE, meaning it will choke stores for months to come.

STUUUUUUUUUUUUUUPID people wish I hard an Argos in my country

Old 2012-01-23, 10:37 PM   #31
Cliffjumper
Cellar Door

Smile

In sort-of mitigation of Argos, to be fair their shopping system is set up for household goods like furniture and electronics, where it works respectably as DVD players and coffee tables don't ship in assortments. It is worth considering, though, that it's probably the biggest non-supermarket toy seller in the UK in terms of number of branches. Plus a lot of the time the staff will, upon asked to be shown everything in an assortment, probably just grab the first two out of the box rather than make a genuine attempt to show the whole range. Argos stock room workers are a bit of a joke in the country - typically being the people too low on social skills to be even trusted with standing behind a till without screwing up.

TF-wise I've only used them recently for single-figure 'assortments' like Alt Wheeljack, MP Skywarp or ROTF Legends Devastator. Though they are one of the few places in the country that actually reduces TFs when a line ends.

I'm gobsmacked at the prices these things are going for - half a dozen have sold for over 40 already on ebay. I can't exactly talk with my DOTM practices, though in my defence Que and Soundwave weren't significantly more than UK retail and I'm still skeptical that Leadfoot is going to reach Western retail (and therefore would rather pay 60 for one now rather than God knows what down the line), but it seems insane that that many are going - that's got to be, what, 5 times US retail price (before shipping, which'd probably take it to 6 times) for figures which are outright guaranteed a wide US release, probably in a matter of weeks?

Old 2012-01-23, 10:50 PM   #32
Skyquake87
One with the Matrix

fools and their money and all that...

a couple of bids on voyager prime and megs have ended at well over the 100 mark. bloody hell. i can't believe people are so impaitent. jesus, they're just toys... mind you, having had a read through that link to TFW that was posted, I'm not suprised. Bunch of American cry babies. It's not often (i.e. ever) we get Transformers stuff before the rest of the world. I wonder if UK fans get just as ridiculous over getting the latest batch of whatever..?

Sigh.

Anyway, last time I got Transformers from Argos they confused me by having all their available stock on display in the store! (it was a couple of DOTM HA Basics, since sold on, in case you were wondering.now there's a review in itself!actually, they were pretty good, but I was so underwhelmed with the entire DOTM line that I got shot of all my DOTM toys as they looked rubbish next to by HFTD & NEST figures)

Having had a proper sniff around the Prime stuff, I think all I'd like is Arcee and a few Vehicons for her to tear through. Might wait and see if Argos put them in one of their 2 for 15 deals down the line. Or they're cheaper at some tax dodging supermarket chain...

Skyquake87 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2012-01-23, 11:05 PM   #33
Thunderwave
Gestalt

Upstate, NY

Quote:
Most of it is sold to impatient Americans, heh, that's an understatement. It amazes me how some people can't wait a MONTH to get the very first wave and prefer to buy it for 5 times the price. It's not an exclusive, it's not a specialty item, it's not an overseas line [eg Japanese Masterpiece]. It's the FIRST wave of the next MAINLINE, meaning it will choke stores for months to come.
This. This confuses the living shit out of me. Are there like clubs of TF fans out there that get together every so often to compare collections? Is there like dick-waiving going on where you get bragging points the sooner you get figures?

Old 2012-01-24, 12:26 AM   #34
Denyer
Shooty Dog Thing

UK

Quote:
Originally Posted by Thunderwave View Post
dick-waiving
Appropriate typo, that. Definitely some kind of compensating/substitution going on...

Denyer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2012-01-24, 12:38 AM   #35
zigzagger
There ain't no Sanity Clause

Quote:
Is there like dick-waiving going on where you get bragging points the sooner you get figures??
That's pretty much what a lot of the more "popular" American Transformers reviewers on youtube do.

zigzagger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2012-01-24, 09:18 AM   #36
numbat
Legends Class

Scotland, UK

Well, as ever, if anyone's after any of these guys in a mental rush over the pond here (for themselves! not resale), let me know and if I swing past an Argos anytime soon I'll see if they have them and post on at cost. None of this sell fo 40 quid crap.

numbat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2012-01-26, 06:47 AM   #37
Thunderwave
Gestalt

Upstate, NY

And now RiD is out in the US. The first ones for sale have started showing up in stores in California.

So I'll looking at a month, maybe two for them to get here. XD

Old 2012-01-26, 03:18 PM   #38
Cliffjumper
Cellar Door

Smile

Quote:
And now RiD is out in the US. The first ones for sale have started showing up in stores in California.
Which means anyone lucky enough to be down that way is going to get one in-hand a week or so ahead of non-British buyers who've spend six times retail to get them "first".

Sometimes the world just works perfectly, doesn't it?

Old 2012-01-26, 05:42 PM   #39
praetorian
Powermaster

They're out at US retail!

http://www.tfw2005.com/transformers-...retail-174229/

Deluxes are now called "Revealers"; Voyagers are now called "Powerizers"

praetorian is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2012-01-26, 07:55 PM   #40
Thunderwave
Gestalt

Upstate, NY

BBTS listed some new Takara toys for preorder, including a Voyager Breakdown.

Seems that with that, and Voyager Skyquake, my hopes for the line are coming true for the most part.