• transformers fandom
  • transformers forum

Go Back   TFARCHIVE > TRANSFORMERS > Transformers News & Rumours

Old 2012-02-16, 08:30 PM   #61
inflatable dalek
Duke of Kidderminster

Kidderminster UK
Smile

Excellent, I will have to pop down to Sainsbury's tomorrow then. If only to guarentee my much sought for Wheeljack (I'll stop going on about it when I get one) then turns up at work for half the price.

inflatable dalek is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2012-02-17, 08:31 AM   #62
Skyquake87
One with the Matrix

Before you tootle off to Sainsbury's 'making life taste better' , Asda have the Prime deluxes for 10.97.

I bought Wheeljack, having thought Cliffjumper actually looks like a chinese person sneezing and I've no interest in Bumblebee. i saw Soundwave and Starscream and one of the airborne drones, but passed them over. They look very fragile.

Wheeljack was an impulse purchase, as around the 10 is a good price for a newly released deluxe over here these days and I did want to see what the line is really like.

The vehicle mode is excellent. There are join lines (mainly on the windscreen), but overall they are exceptionally well hidden on Jacky because his vehicle mode has loads of etched panels and details all over the bodywork. It's a good size, with freely moving wheels and you can attach the swords to the front bumper for a silly looking attack mode and they will also attach to the holes above the rear wheels. paint is pretty minimal, just the red and green flashes of the G1 flavoured racing stripes and painted rear lamps. However, the wheels are coloured silver, so hooray for that.

The transformation is pretty complex for a deluxe, but very cleverly done. Younger kids will find it a struggle though. Parts shift about and rotate around from an unravelled vehicle, clever stuff.

Robot mode is very nice indeed. Very crisp looking, with blacks, greys and silvers breaking up all the white. The light piping is redundant as the clear black plastic is too opaque. As with RTS Wreck Gar, the shoulders/ neck have Sandi Tosvig like proportions. The arms are quite long too. Great articulation in the hips, knees and ankles as well as the neck, shoulders elbows and wrists. No movement at the waist though. The wings are a nice touch and the two katanna-type swords are pretty cool...and are etched with those Cyberglyphs. Undocumented in the intstructions, the swords can also tuck behind his head in a He-Man stylee.

Size-wise, he's about 6" tall, so on a par with Beast Wars and Robots In Disguise Deluxes, so a nice size but probably a bit slender compared to his more muscular animation model. He really pops in the flesh and is an impressive little guy. Overall, very impressed for a line that I didn't have much interest in and an impressive leap forward in realising the Animated asethetic on which Prime heavily borrows , with (on this evidence) none of the attendant QC flaws and those stupid half enclosed balljoints.

Skyquake87 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2012-02-22, 09:50 PM   #63
Skyquake87
One with the Matrix

As I don't know how long Asda will be selling the deluxes for a tenner and they seem to be flying off the shelves, i bought three more...

Soundwave. he is fantastic. Exceeded all expectations and really solid for something so slender and fragile looking.

Cliffjumper is alright, but his arms are a bit weird. The folded up doors for forearms aren't so great, and I'm still not sure about his weird facial expression. Vehicle mode is excellent though and he comes with a cool weapon.

Bumblebee is rubbish. Really disappointing. Its the wretched Automorph gimmick that's the main culprit, the arms feel like they need to properly clip to the side of the car rather than being held at a slightly awkward angle. The head sitting on that huge paddle of plastic looks awful and makes his shoulders and chest seem too low down, plus because of the tension on the spring and the automorph, the paddle wont sit flush to the bonnet like it's supposed to. Then there's the rather cheap plastic used that looks like it'll develop stress fractures over time and the poor job done with the paint matching. There's also my pet hate- the ultimate cardinal sin - boring black plastic wheels. The vehicle mode, whilst a good shape, doesn't look as good at the onscreen model and oddly, part of that seems to be the inappropriately whispy black racing stipes. A boxy vehicle mode like this needs strong looking striaght blocks of racing stripes running in a striaght lineor at right angles - these ones going off at angles and tapering away don't look right.

Been having a look on ebay and saw a really nice looking legions class arcee figure - unusually for this size class. Post Micromasters, I've found all Transformers in this size to be horrible little cracker toys.

Old 2012-02-22, 10:43 PM   #64
Rookwise
Gestalt

Staffordshire - UK

I've got all the Prime cyberverse apart from bulkhead,Soundwave and vehicle. Arcee is the worst of the bunch imo. Poor robot mode that the back falls apart easily and bike mode doesn't go together very well at all. Head sculptures is nice though.

Rookwise is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2012-04-01, 07:10 PM   #65
Cliffjumper
Cellar Door

Red face File under "Uh, ooookay"

Among the Cyberverse figures coming up in Prime seems to be:

Bloody Dino. w00t, bring on the Machine Wars Deluxivator! I'm guessing this is okay to post, that **** on the Wiki put it on a public page.

Downside is my plans to sell Que are now on hold. Bastards.

Cliffjumper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2012-04-01, 07:44 PM   #66
inflatable dalek
Duke of Kidderminster

Kidderminster UK
Red face

Shame he isn't called Dino on package to end that argument.

inflatable dalek is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2012-04-01, 07:45 PM   #67
Rookwise
Gestalt

Staffordshire - UK

Its basically rotf sideways in red. There's a black dotm Soundwave coming as well in the same wave. Those two along with Evac. Aren't part of the tf prime line. If you look at the packaging under the tf logo. It doesn't say Prime. These are another part of the cyberverse line.

Old 2012-04-01, 07:59 PM   #68
Rookwise
Gestalt

Staffordshire - UK

Vehicon platoon :-P

Old 2012-04-02, 10:58 AM   #69
Skyquake87
One with the Matrix

Heh heh that looks awesome. I just stuck with three i really like the legion vehicon.its a good figure overall.vehicle mode is a bit weird and i'm not keen on the grey wheels but other than that its a winner.

Old 2012-04-02, 08:16 PM   #70
Jaynz
Puppy Kicker

Quote:
Originally Posted by Skyquake87 View Post
Heh heh that looks awesome. I just stuck with three i really like the legion vehicon.its a good figure overall.vehicle mode is a bit weird and i'm not keen on the grey wheels but other than that its a winner.
I got five of the Vehicon Cyberverse myself, but I think that may be the limit. Cyberverse is pretty much down to a couple of leftover Dark of the Moon figs (Skids, Mudlap, Prime, Bumblebee) and... Prime Bumblebee with a smattering of Cliffjumper. Fortunately I'm currently 'complete', but it does worry me that I'll AGAIN miss a wave or two due to so much Bumblebee around clogging shelves.

Seriously, Hasbro.. just... stop.

Jaynz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2012-04-02, 11:14 PM   #71
Hasbro
WAY COOLER THAN MATTEL

Pawtucket, Rhode Island

WE WOULD LIKE TO THANK THE MULTIMILLION DOLLAR GLOBAL CORPORATION OF TFVANGUARD FOR ITS VALUABLE ADVICE AND WE WILL STOP MAKING BUMBLEBEES IMMEDIATELY.

EDIT: WE JUST NOTICED THAT OUR STOCK IS WORTH SIGNIFICANTLY MORE THAN YOU, SO WE WILL CONTINUE WITH OUR SUCCESSFUL BUSINESS PLAN, BUT THANK YOU FOR YOUR SUGGESTION.

Hasbro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2012-04-02, 11:18 PM   #72
Jaynz
Puppy Kicker

Wow, it's like I'm back at the Allspark.

Old 2012-04-03, 06:24 AM   #73
tahukanuva
Human After All

Tennessee, US
Red face

Well you know, Vanguard, large toy companies never make any mistakes like Mattel running DC into the ground. Three times.

I mean, the Bumblebees are selling, but not nearly as much as their case assortments anticipated. The Prime toyline's off to a great start and I'd hate to see it die early 'cause of too many 'Bees.

EDIT: To support Mr. Vanguard's view...

Last edited by tahukanuva; 2012-04-03 at 06:36 AM.
tahukanuva is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2012-04-03, 09:02 AM   #74
Skyquake87
One with the Matrix

I'd join in the general dismay...but in the UK we're lucky if we get anything beyond wave 2 anyway...

I'm sure Bumblebee is a bankable character, but he seems to be packed in with every wave of Prime deluxes currently scheduled to come to market (was sniffing around BBTS out of boredom the other day) , which through adult eyes does seem a bit excessive, but looking around the toy shelves Prime is practically non-existent as a line over here. Since the initial launch in Feb/ Mar the toys have all been snapped up, so these multiple 'bees are clearly a hit with kids.

It does look silly in larger stores whom have more shelf space though, as the case assortments are 'bee heavy which does result in silly pictures like in the TFW thread.

Frankly, with all the Transformers toys that have been swilling around since 2007 and the launch of the movie line, its been surprising to not see more of the more common toys shuffled off to discount shops. Our ex-catalogue/ discount shops over here have had ROTF Voyagers and Leader Class figures, and lines that shipped too late and missed their window of opportunity (wave 4 HFTD deluxes, PCC Combiners, Animated Voyagers). Whilst I would have expected to see the scores of Skids, Mudflap and Ratchet toys in clearance shops, its been surprising to see that they've all been snapped up at geenral retail with just ROTF deluxe 'bee and Cannon 'Bee (admittedly a rubbish figure anyway) turning up in clearance.

All of which does show that however daft it looks to us, Hasbro know their consumer base very well indeed.

EDIT : i am actually quite pleased that Transformers hasn't ended up the way of mattel's he-man line , being a line of expensive short run figures. i like that product is widely available, affordable and caters to a wide range of tastes and budgets. that's actually a really cool thing, and i wish some of the cry babies on the tfw would open their eyes and realise that.

Last edited by Skyquake87; 2012-04-03 at 09:15 AM. Reason: i funk of sutin else
Old 2012-04-03, 12:44 PM   #75
Jaynz
Puppy Kicker

No one ever said "They should never make another Bumblebee", but putting them longpacked in every assortment, while you have no less than three movie Bumblebees still on shelves... it's excessive. Yes, some of them are selling and he's a popular character, but it's clear that (at least in some places), Bumblebee is already pretty damn saturated, and the Prime character model isn't far enough removed from the movie model to make a difference.

And, apparently, wave 4 will get us another Bumblebee, a black with yellow deco, which looks an awful lot like one of the bigger Bumblebee movie warmers. At least we're getting a more inspired 'Hot Shot' deco of the physical toy before that.