• transformers cartoon
  • transformers live-action movies
  • transformers fandom
  • transformers forum

Go Back   TFARCHIVE > COMMUNITY > General Discussion

Old 2011-09-28, 02:27 AM   #21
DrSpengler
Primus

I like being able to say in conversation, "I was talking to some British people online and THEY said..."

If I outgrew TFArchive, my access to British people would take a serious toll.

DrSpengler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2011-09-28, 02:40 AM   #22
zigzagger
There ain't no Sanity Clause

Smile

**shrugs**

Meh. I tend not to pay much attention to what folks, or, hell, society in general says what I am or am not supposed to be doing according to my age group. That goes for a lot of other things, too.

So, yeah, pretty much what Hound and few others have already said; I'm an "adult" when I need to be. Nothing really un-adult about hanging around this place anyway.

Life's fleeting and I find buying into all that ageist crap is a bit self-defeating.

zigzagger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2011-09-28, 03:59 AM   #23
Notabot
Lutheran

Lowden, IA
Thumbs up

Quote:
Originally Posted by DrSpengler View Post
I like being able to say in conversation, "I was talking to some British people online and THEY said..."

If I outgrew TFArchive, my access to British people would take a serious toll.
I forgot about that international aspect of the Archive. My parents and in-laws think it is beyond cool that I'm an international Transformers dealer. Bonus sweetness!

Notabot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2011-09-28, 08:20 AM   #24
angloconvoy
Big Metal Person

Ichihara, Japan

Quote:
Originally Posted by electro girl View Post
For the most part I look at you all as almost wise elders whos posts show me what to expect when I become a "real" adult.
I cannot even begin to tell you the trouble you're in.

Funny what Sades said about the aches. They accumulate as you get older. However, the hole in my leg (which several archivers can attest to having seen, it's more of an exceptional dent, really) came from playing on an aquaduct when I was 30. So you, know, just do whatever makes you happy, and always cross the aquaduct on the bridge, rather than the support beams.

Sades, you're an angel.

angloconvoy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2011-09-28, 03:52 PM   #25
Heinrad
Ironmod

Riskin' it all on my Russian Roulette!

Well, as I'm still coming here at the ripe old age of 908, I'd say the answer is no.

Not only do I get to talk to people from other countries(without the attendant phone bills), I'm talking to people I have something in common with, getting information that I wouldn't have otherwise, and things I wouldn't have been able to get.

And if you ever feel the need to justify collecting Transformers to anybody, be they somebody who considers themselves more mature or somebody you're trying to impress, simply point out that collecting Transformers is cheaper than stamp collecting and less destructive than drugs.

As a professional tanuki (I'm a Japanese mythological animal, and a good luck charm), I have an alarm clock built into me somewhere. I also look like a stuffed animal. And you thought your life was tough......

3DS Friend Code: 1092-1274-7642
Heinrad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2011-09-28, 04:25 PM   #26
Cliffjumper
Cellar Door

Smile

Quote:
Originally Posted by Heinrad View Post
And if you ever feel the need to justify collecting Transformers to anybody, be they somebody who considers themselves more mature or somebody you're trying to impress, simply point out that collecting Transformers is cheaper than stamp collecting and less destructive than drugs.
I'd come out with the less twatty reason that I like Transformers. Horses for courses and all that, I suppose.

I would, however, largely echo Notabot and Angloconvoy's postings on the subject. Here, while quiet, is a nice mellow place to keep track of people without getting quite as many lunatics as facebook and the like.

Transformers I see no reason to stop liking because of my age - time and money are the limitations that adult life brings, not forgetting who you are and what you like. If anything, my tastes are solidifying. Not sure if it's age or what, but I no longer feel that vague obligation there was ten years ago to pay attention to all of the TF stuff; now I'm a lot happier treating shit stuff like the UT and Animated like it doesn't exist. Apart from when I need something to fill the unflattering half of a comparison, e.g. "It was as annoying as every single Autobot in Animated" or "That moved about as much as an animation cel in an episode of Armada".

Cliffjumper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2011-09-28, 05:08 PM   #27
Paul053
The man who painted heaven

North star where bananna froze

In the past nearly 10 years, my lives and hobbies have been shrunk down to a pathetic level. No more Sunday football game time (American football), no more catching up on basketball roster moves and not even care about the finals, no more Star Wars (not my fault, it's Lucas's fault), only one or two times to the movie theater per year, PS3 becomes DVD player, etc. It's all replaced with family life, church life, and work life. So no, I will not let my Transformers life to go away for now. Plus recently I'm so busy customizing them.

Paul053 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2011-09-28, 07:29 PM   #28
inflatable dalek
Duke of Kidderminster

Kidderminster UK
Smile

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cliffjumper View Post
I'd come out with the less twatty reason that I like Transformers. Horses for courses and all that, I suppose.
Plus the drug habit is cheaper and prone to better quality control.

To answer the question in a way that doesn't just poke fun at Sades dribbling senility, I'm still jonesed about a lot of forthcoming stuff. I'm about as excited for the big chunky interview filled UK Classics book as I was for the weekly comic back in the day, same for the Rocharts ongoing. Mind, I'm also deeply excited for the just announced Star Trek The Next Generation HD remastering (because if there was ever a show that needed a decent clean up it's that, goodbye soft edges!) so I may never grow up.

inflatable dalek is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 2011-09-28, 10:46 PM   #29
Sixswitch
Rameses Niblik The Third, Kerplunk Kerplunk, Whoops, Where's My Thribble

Sent to outer space, to find another happy place.

Yes.

Piss Off.

I found God. Then I lost him. He'll probably turn up down the back of the sofa someday.
"The early bird gets the worm, but the early worm is ****ed."
"I'm not oppressing you Stan, but you haven't got a womb. Where's the fetus going to gestate? You going to keep it in a box?"
Sixswitch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2011-09-29, 05:40 PM   #30
StoneCold Skywarp
Best Served Chilled

Exclamation

"It never ends..."

Twitter - @stncldskywarp PS4 - StoneColdSkywarp

Last edited by StoneCold Skywarp; 2011-09-29 at 06:32 PM.
StoneCold Skywarp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2011-09-29, 07:15 PM   #31
inflatable dalek
Duke of Kidderminster

Kidderminster UK
Red face

Quote:
Originally Posted by StoneCold Skywarp View Post
"It never ends..."

"It's over... finished!"

inflatable dalek is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 2011-09-29, 09:31 PM   #32
Skyquake87
One with the Matrix

Bah, age ain't nothing but a number. I'm dead excited as I have a Scud The Dispoasble Assassin action figure on its way! woo hoo!

Skyquake87 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2011-09-30, 12:06 PM   #33
Summerhayes
always late to the party

Somerset, England.

I'm only 21, but I've always found the idea that "mature" means not doing something you love because nobody else is doing it to be ridiculous. On the other hand, being that I hold down 2 jobs, one shitty and one voluntary, I'm finding myself strapped for cash and time, so I tend to aim for the general discussion rather than the Transformers section.

I actually find all of y'all to be great folks, and would even consider a lot of you to be good friends. This is one of only 2 internet forums I've ever found to be bearable, and so even if I don't have much to say about robots, I tend to gravitate here.

Still alive, I'm just bad at keeping up with forums.
You can read my articles and reviews at gintendo.co.uk but I wouldn't bother if I were you.
Summerhayes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2011-10-01, 04:41 AM   #34
Dead Man Wade
Next-Generation Spambot

Funny location

Quote:
Originally Posted by Skyquake87 View Post
I'm dead excited as I have a Scud The Dispoasble Assassin action figure on its way!
Jesus, I haven't even thought about Scud since, like, 1997. May have to dig those out of whatever box they wound up in.

Dead Man Wade is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2011-10-02, 04:41 AM   #35
Blaster
This used to mean something.

Vancouver.

I am only now reaching the age that most of you were at when I started posting. So I'm safe.

Wake up son of mine. Momma got something to tell you. Change has come; life will have its way.
Blaster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2012-07-29, 07:47 PM   #36
Gruff
Gestalt

Plymouth, UK

I'm over 30 and have just come back here after a long long absence. One can never be too old to be a Transformers fan or post on a website's messaging board.

I'll take the virtual world over the real one any day!!!

Gruff 3:16 says Brendocon is da man!!
Gruff is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2012-07-30, 01:44 AM   #37
electro girl
Tall child, holding a beer.

Robot Republic of Yorkshire.

I never feel old and I just like you all. This site has been an active part of my enjoyment of Transformers for years now so I'd just like to say ta to the likes of Cliffy, Hound, Dalek, Sades, Denyer, Numbat, Ackula, Auntie Slag, Warcry, Blackjack, Paul053, Notabot, Terome, Clay and anyone else. Perhaps I've had a bit but if it takes a few drinks to say I like you guys well then I like you guys.

-------------------------
A Chinese cartoon where the robots turn into blingwads!
electro girl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2012-07-30, 11:30 AM   #38
Addl
Matrix Keeper

Germany

I don't know anybody here in person, and since I registered 12 years ago here, this means I do not care for you enough to actually meet someone.

... Oh please not more of those stressy social commitments...

Isch bin dabbei!
Addl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2012-07-30, 04:31 PM   #39
Auntie Slag
Satisfaction guaranteed !

Cambridge, UK
Talking

It's great, I've learnt so much stuff about Transformers that I would never have known through being here. Having this stuff in my head makes me happy.

Knowing that there's three live action films that are really good fun, a shedload of comics that currently are better than they've ever been and toys all over the place (though I've only bought one in the last 10 years, and that was Human Alliance Jazz at the beginning of this year). It's just fantastic. I thought I'd have forgotten about Transformers after age 12. Instead, I'm in this parallel universe where they're everywhere!

More please.

[Edit]And my TPB of 'More Than Meets The Eye' dropped through the letterbox on Saturday. Great stuff!

"It's not until you're an adult you appreciate how awesome a dog is. Your dreams start dying, somebody cheats on you, bankers f*** up your pension. Then you come home and that dog's looking at you and he's like, 'Dude, you're awesome!' - Bill Burr

I re-invented my image so many times that I'm in denial that I was originally an overweight Korean woman. - David Bowie
Auntie Slag is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2012-08-07, 09:18 AM   #40
SpaceCadet
Protoform

Frankfurt, Germany

I have so many other responsibilities these days; the biggest one is trying to be a good wife and father. I've let so many oy my interests fall by the way side in the last six or so years because of this, but Transformers is one interest that will never go away.

It's much the same as people who maintain an interest in a certain authors sci-fi or fantasy novels. It's not just a toy-line to me; it's a whole mythos and universe in its own right, that just happens to have some rather neat toys.

SpaceCadet is offline   Reply With Quote