• transformers live-action movies
  • transformers fandom
  • transformers forum

Go Back   TFARCHIVE > TRANSFORMERS > Transformers News & Rumours

Old 2011-12-02, 12:16 PM   #21
inflatable dalek
Duke of Kidderminster

Kidderminster UK

I assume it'll be the new year for this country, if they were going to release the special edition that close to when we were getting the standard one they'd have just delayed the later one for another couple of weeks.

inflatable dalek is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2011-12-02, 04:02 PM   #22
numbat
Legends Class

Scotland, UK

Is it not a bit unusual in this day and age for there to be a gap between feature-packed editions and basic releases? Seems unusual to me, and potentially damaging to their business - I for one would have bought a slightly more expensive feature-packed edition had it become available at the same time as the basic one. As they didn't release one, and there's no sign of a date for such a release on the horizon, I bought the basic release and will not buy the more expensive feature-packed edition. They could have made a little more money out of me if they had released them at the same time, and given most films seem to be released in both forms at once (In fact, big blockbuster series seem to get more than one level of special edition set nowadays, with Steelbooks, fancy packaging, limited edition cards, posters and figurines becoming increasingly common), I'd guess there are a lot of people like me who would have spent the extra at the time, but are unlikely to bother to upgrade in a couple of months.

After all, the main thing is the films themselves. Given the fairly poor special features included in previous Transformers films special editions, I doubt DOTM special edition will be much better.

Was DOTM really so poorly received that it didn't warrant any form of fancy release at all at the time? And the trilogy didn't warrant some form of limited edition packaging release that fans would at least snap up (and, in this case, overpriced limited edition sets are actually targeted at the fanboy minority of the target market)?

All very odd to me...

numbat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2011-12-02, 08:22 PM   #23
Rookwise
Gestalt

Staffordshire - UK

Had I known about another version I'd have held out and bought that but I got the 3 film set on blue ray instead. Was going to get the transforming Megatron case version but decided I wanted to upgrade the previous two to blue ray.

Having bought the box set I'll not be bothering to get yet another version just for the additional features. As already mentioned. It's the film itself that prompts up to buy. The additional content is just the cheap sugar coated topping.

Rookwise is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2011-12-02, 10:43 PM   #24
Chris McFeely
Powermaster

Quote:
Originally Posted by inflatable dalek View Post
According to Christ McFeely on Twitter the Blu Ray is missing some dialogue, most noticeably the "Is your daddy home?" bit from Laserbeak, though oddly this is on the DVD included in the same triple play box. Can anyone confirm this?
T'would appear that it's not so much MISSING as an audio mixing issue. The Blu Ray's only got 7.1 English audio, and that particular line is only one one channel, rendering it subdued on 5.1 speaker setups, and utterly absent from my primitive 2.0-only set up. It's audible, faintly, on the 5.1 audio foreign-language tracks, and included in the subtitles. I cannot find a way to make my PS3 make it play, unfortunately.

Chris McFeely is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2011-12-03, 12:14 AM   #25
Notabot
Lutheran

Lowden, IA

I think the idea behind the first release was to get it out quickly and keep up the momentum of the movie for the casual purchaser. And, they probably assumed that a fair number of people would buy the first edition, then also buy the second edition for the special features. It's actually not a bad marketing idea since it can basically get "New Release" status twice, possibly both before Christmas.

Notabot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2011-12-03, 07:43 AM   #26
inflatable dalek
Duke of Kidderminster

Kidderminster UK
Red face

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chris McFeely View Post
T'would appear that it's not so much MISSING as an audio mixing issue. The Blu Ray's only got 7.1 English audio, and that particular line is only one one channel, rendering it subdued on 5.1 speaker setups, and utterly absent from my primitive 2.0-only set up. It's audible, faintly, on the 5.1 audio foreign-language tracks, and included in the subtitles. I cannot find a way to make my PS3 make it play, unfortunately.
Oh, that's annoying, I've no idea what sort of sound set up my TV has. BOO.

Old 2011-12-03, 08:07 PM   #27
numbat
Legends Class

Scotland, UK

Quote:
Originally Posted by inflatable dalek View Post
Oh, that's annoying, I've no idea what sort of sound set up my TV has. BOO.
Just rewatched it, and I can say that the line was clear as day on my Bluray, played through my Bluray player and just the TV 2.1 sound, without any tinkering whatsoever.

Not a bit of sound missing anywhere else that I could tell, nor any odd mixing.

Perhaps it's an issue with the US release, or compatibility with players / games consoles?

Old 2011-12-03, 08:56 PM   #28
Rookwise
Gestalt

Staffordshire - UK

Finally my trilogy box set has arrived from play.com. In a few mins I'll be breaking out the Ben and Jerry's and going for the full trilogy via my ps3. That is if I don't fall asleep first. Not long got home from work. Started at 5am so possibly may not make it through.

Old 2011-12-04, 04:00 AM   #29
inflatable dalek
Duke of Kidderminster

Kidderminster UK
Smile

Quote:
Originally Posted by numbat View Post
Just rewatched it, and I can say that the line was clear as day on my Bluray, played through my Bluray player and just the TV 2.1 sound, without any tinkering whatsoever.
Maybe it's a firewall thing? Though I hope it isn't as my player isn't plugged into the net at all, and I've managed a whole year without a single one of those "You must update your software" moments a lot of other folks seem to have..

Watched the DVD at a friends house (the Blu Ray itself will have to wait a little bit now), and it was all gravy. I actually think the John Malkovich stuff is mostly brilliant now, it's just let down by that really odd scene of him with Bumblebee, which reeks of "Sure, I'll do this fun cameo as my kids love it... but I gotta do something with the yellow guy. My kids like him best. Write it in and give me a pot of cash and I'll do it".

Though dear God, the Autobots seem really shit without Prime, to almost cartoon levels. He has to save the day pretty much by himself and all the bulk of the Autobots manage to do in Chicargo is just about avoid getting shot in the back of the head for being a useless pussy.

SPOILER! (select to read)
A thought on people who complained that the whole shuttle gambit Prime played was him being a selfish prick and actually letting the Decepticons invade Chicargo and kill loads of people as a lesson to the US Government...

I think they're confusing what Prime is saying when he shows up again after being dead. he says the human government now knows the Decepticons can't be trusted, but his next comment about how "They needed to believe we had gone" isn't talking about humans, it's talking about the Decpeticons, and leads into the "We take the battle to them!" bit rather than being separate to it. If you take his first two lines as being of a piece he does sound like a complete bastard who deliberately faked his death to teach humanity a lesson, but with only the first part being about humans it becomes a lot friendlier. Still a bit snarky, (with good reason as being exiled was an almost suicidal act on Earth's part) but deceiving the Decepticons was first and foremost what he wanted to do there, not go "Ha, see, you're idiots!" over a pile of corpses.

Also, Rosie really can't act. Any moment that requires her to just stand there has her making model poses that look increasingly ludicrous as more and more carnage is going on around her. Whatever her other flaws as an actress, at least Megan Fox can stay still naturalisticly...

Old 2011-12-04, 10:07 AM   #30
Rack 'n Ruin
Unregistered User

Debris, UK

Quote:
Originally Posted by numbat View Post

Not a bit of sound missing anywhere else that I could tell, nor any odd mixing.

Perhaps it's an issue with the US release, or compatibility with players / games consoles?
Big phew from me. I don't have surround sound, and love that line.

Rack 'n Ruin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2011-12-04, 12:49 PM   #31
Cliffjumper
Cellar Door

Red face

Surely TF fans can just add their own at home? Most of 'em have creepy paedo-sounding voices of their own, after all.

Cliffjumper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2011-12-04, 05:26 PM   #32
Rookwise
Gestalt

Staffordshire - UK

Watched it last night and the Laserbeak asking ."is your daddy home" was very clear. WTF was he doing as a pink Bumblebee though :-/

Rosie's acting is way off. Nice lips though :-P

Didn't really enjoy dotm compared to rotf even with rotf's faults. Certainly not a patch on the first film either.

Old 2011-12-13, 09:22 PM   #33
inflatable dalek
Duke of Kidderminster

Kidderminster UK
Smile

My Star Trek season 1 Blu Ray set seems to have a similar issue, in that the sound on The Man Trap is very very muted through just my two speakers and I had to really crank it up. The Cage (which, as the pilot, is of course on the season 3 set) sounded fine though so hopefully Paramount got better at mixing it as they went along.

Old 2011-12-13, 10:01 PM   #34
numbat
Legends Class

Scotland, UK

While I didn't have any particular issues with any missing dialogue, I must admit all of the dialogue is very quiet compared to the loud explosions - a common issue I find with DVDs and Blurays. It took me ages to get the balances half-decent for quiet viewing on my two historic DVD players.

Don't get me wrong - I enjoy some loud explosions in my movie watching, but my wife tends to complain and at other times of night / morning when I'm up and nobody else is, I'd rather not upset anyone...

Fortunately, I just discovered an excellent feature in the menus of my new Bluray player - 'dialogue enhancement'! It does just what it says in the tin, without need to fiddle about with settings for ages and only get things half right! It just seems to crank the dialogue track up a few notches, bringing it closer to the sound effects track (although this is still louder, as you'd want).

Very pleased with that.

(I know explosions are loud and all, but there's no need to make my neighbours' ears bleed in the name of entertainment... Actually... On second thoughts... Still, wouldn't be able to survive the wrath of my wife...)