• transformers live-action movies
  • transformers fandom
  • transformers forum

Go Back   TFARCHIVE > TRANSFORMERS > Transformers Media & Fandom

Old 2012-04-10, 08:22 PM   #21
Cliffjumper
Cellar Door

Smile

They already are going a fairly good job of subverting things with Arcee - there's minimal reference to her gender (and certainly very little actual discrimination of it) and they've generally avoided having her as a mother, a sister or a girlfriend to anyone, or even the semi-subversion of making her a femme fatale (which is, let's be honest, what BW Blackarachnia is/was). The closest we've had to a weak Autobot is Cliffjumper - a bit like the movies the vague implication is that if they've made it this far they must be fairly capable. TBH making her physically small works with the subversion rather than against it.

Welker's really won me over in Prime. Soundwave aside I always thought he was massively, massively over-rated for his G1 work though it's difficult to tell whether it's the writing, format or acting that makes the original Megatron such a laughable twat - probably all of it. It probably would have been very easy for him to resurrect the old shit for this, but he hasn't, he's done something different and the result is a Megatron that's actually pretty damn impressive - and not just through cunning and being up against a bunch of clots like the BW version, this one's the full package.

Cliffjumper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2012-04-11, 07:50 PM   #22
inflatable dalek
Duke of Kidderminster

Kidderminster UK
Smile

I never had any huge issues with his Megatron voice, it's not a favourite but I don't mind it. It's the Galvatron that really bugs me, mainly because I think Nimoy's was definitive.

So finished the pilot... I guess there was a script for Dark of the Moon knocking about when they were working on this then with it's giant space bridge bringing something nasty back from Cybertron ending?

Still, a great little action show that, for the most part looks really good (the streets of the town are frequently far too deserted-even with the handwave of it being Nowhereville- but that's about it). Fowler did indeed wind up kicking arse as well. I really hope "Raf hacks it" isn't going to be the resolution to all the plot problems though.

And with all the expensive CGI could they not afford to do anything for the music bar put the soundtrack for the last Trek film over it? It wasn't even a subtle rip off, I kept expecting the USS Kelvin to turn up.

Did Orci and Kurtzman actually have anything to do with the creation of the show bar handing over a DVD of the films to the writers and going "Like that"?

inflatable dalek is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2012-04-11, 08:59 PM   #23
Cliffjumper
Cellar Door

Smile

Yeh, Jasper suffers from just generally being too clean, but I think they're wise to it and urban settings are used sparingly.

The show does a really good job of knowing how and when to use the humans. There's a little run mid-season of filler episodes where Miko gets a bit more focus than is strictly necessary, but that's it. The show as a whole is very, very canny.

Old 2012-04-12, 07:31 PM   #24
inflatable dalek
Duke of Kidderminster

Kidderminster UK

I'm not actually sure what persuaded Prime to keep Jack and Miko about, Raf seems more useful than some of his own troops but the others only really hung about in the opening. Though it's lucky he did let them hang out else the Scraplets would have won...

The next two episodes:

Skyquake was awesome (after my bad Cliffjumper experience I still want his toy), but it was a bit more kiddified than the opening with the comedy subplot and the main action basically boiling down to just action, plus the word "master" getting used about 5000 times to shove the title in there. The initial CG model for Sqyquake with it's plane parts didn't really gel with the idea he didn't have an alt mode yet either. And does Fowler really fly a fighter jet in his one suit?

The Scraplets episode was good straightforward fun, and there was a fanish buzz in seeing the little critters make it to TV. Shame they didn't form a giant monster, but Uncle Bob would still be proud.

But... the Autobots can fly about in space where the temperature extremes are greater than any found on Earth, but the Arctic causes them a problem?

Last edited by inflatable dalek; 2012-04-12 at 07:48 PM.
Old 2012-04-12, 07:46 PM   #25
Knightdramon
Primus

York, UK

Well, besides the problem of CGI being costly to produce, hence the one model for Fowler in everything he does, and the jet kibble on Skyquake.

Though, to be fair, most TFs seem to have a predetermined alt mode pattern to their overall physique; I can't see Arcee fitting to be anything else but a motorcycle, and so on.

Few stuff in the UK to trade/sell. Measly sales thread.
Knightdramon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2012-04-12, 08:15 PM   #26
Cliffjumper
Cellar Door

Smile

As a general note, it takes until towards the end of the season for the thing to really reach the heights of the opener, IMO - though this is more due to the fact "Darkness Rising" is really, really good than the others being shite. There is a bit of a wobble as they're obviously fumbling for a direction for the first handful of individual episodes, but they largely make the right choices as the season goes on.

Re: the Arctic, felt it was as much the snow as the temperature myself, though I can't remember whether dialogue contradicts this or not.

And yeh, with Skyquake and Wheeljack I don't see an awful lot that couldn't be part of an equivalent Cybertronian vehicle (the kicker with Skyquake is more that Fowler's jet has robot kibble, which is a bit harder to fanon away). It's worth noting that as far as I can gather while the computer games are apparently in the same Aligned continuity as Prime neither party seems to be making any real effort in this direction...

Old 2012-04-14, 08:36 AM   #27
inflatable dalek
Duke of Kidderminster

Kidderminster UK
Smile

Yeah, whilst Hasbro having put some thought into an ultimate style set up the vastly different lead in times for computer games, TV and books means lining them all up would be pretty much impossible, and in fairness I don't think Hasbro have really pretended they are all in one beyond the general sense the G1 comic and cartoon, the fact they seem to be calling this "Aligned" even pretty much states it outright.

I'm lossing a bit of respect for Roberts having so shamelessly stolen Ratchet's personality from here for MTMTE though.

Old 2012-04-14, 11:41 AM   #28
Cliffjumper
Cellar Door

Smile

Some say a lot of the Prime one is nicked from Animated, but I can't see it beyond "is a little bit grumpy and maybe a bit old" (which might as well mean the Movieverse version). The Prime one isn't a punchable twat, for a start. I don't think I've found any TF series ever - even BWII/Neo - as downright aggravating to watch amd listen to as Animated is. And is it me is Prime funnier because there aren't jokes every other line? Much funnier for Fowler to every now and then crack a great line than Captain Hilariousname's constant shite. It's like having a cast of Rattraps with no straight guys.

Sorry, Animated just really gets on my tits.

I think Aligned is just the idea of having similar characters and big ideas rather than a set continuity, yeh - all using the same bible/starting point [difficult to say specifics without spoiling the season for you]. I doubt Hasbro can be ****ed to micro-manage every aspect, though. I can't see IDW being made to conform as Hasbro don't give a shit about the comics what with their 25+ reading demographic; TF4 will be interesting, though, because the last film especially didn't seem to really care what they thought about things - to the extent of bringing in at least one character who'd be near-impossible to merchandise and renaming two characters largely to give nerds an aneurysm. Paramount are probably the first company involved in TFs to be big enough to tell Hasbro "Shut up, this is how things are".

Old 2012-04-14, 11:51 AM   #29
inflatable dalek
Duke of Kidderminster

Kidderminster UK
Red face

I still want Mirage and Wheeljack in the next one. Perhaps holding signs saying "No film is beholden to its spin offs you momins". They could always have Cliffjumper pop up to call Mirage a traitor to sweeten the pill.

I think that by the end of his first scene Ernie Hudson had already spoken more lines than he did as his turn as Token in both Ghostbusters films combined. By the end of she pilot he'd also added all his lines from that episode of The A-Team he did with Michael Ironside (and hey, with all the "Keep the parents happy" casting on this show how about him getting in on the act as well?) as an evil cab company owner.

Must actually watch some more Animated one day, the first episode seemed harmless enough, though it's been long enough I can't really remember a thing about it.

Old 2012-04-14, 12:00 PM   #30
relak
Dinobot

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cliffjumper View Post
Yeh, Jasper suffers from just generally being too clean, but I think they're wise to it and urban settings are used sparingly.

The show does a really good job of knowing how and when to use the humans. There's a little run mid-season of filler episodes where Miko gets a bit more focus than is strictly necessary, but that's it. The show as a whole is very, very canny.
well there was said somewhere that Miko was the favorite character of the animators in japan.

Go figure.

relak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2012-04-14, 12:04 PM   #31
Cliffjumper
Cellar Door

Smile

Yeh, Miko's Japanese origin is a pretty obvious sop to Tomy-Takara-Kojima-Sinclair-Ronco-Reliant.

Quote:
Originally Posted by inflatable dalek View Post
Must actually watch some more Animated one day, the first episode seemed harmless enough, though it's been long enough I can't really remember a thing about it.
That'd be the first episode that ends with Starscream (who Megatron doesn't trust) walking up to Megatron and slapping a bomb to his back without Megatron noticing?

Old 2012-04-14, 12:17 PM   #32
inflatable dalek
Duke of Kidderminster

Kidderminster UK
Red face

Oh, as I've seen mention in several places of how awesome Prime Starscream is, I should say I'm not all that impressed with him so far, he seems pretty much the same as ever. Being marginally more subtle than in the original cartoon still means he sounds completely insincere and unconvincing during any "Alas poor Megatron" moment.

Old 2012-04-14, 05:56 PM   #33
Knightdramon
Primus

York, UK

Quote:
Originally Posted by inflatable dalek View Post
Oh, as I've seen mention in several places of how awesome Prime Starscream is, I should say I'm not all that impressed with him so far, he seems pretty much the same as ever. Being marginally more subtle than in the original cartoon still means he sounds completely insincere and unconvincing during any "Alas poor Megatron" moment.
He's so awesome because he is and looks a sleazy, backstabbing a$$hole who's not beyond running when things aren't in his favour. Can't say much more without spoiling anything.

Oh, and he has the best Starscream voice so far. And instead of the heroic G1 proportions, the bruiser Animated look or the BEAST of a body in the movies, this one looks like he's supposed to. I'm not sure if it makes much sense, but his characterization so far aligns perfectly with his looks.

Few stuff in the UK to trade/sell. Measly sales thread.
Knightdramon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2012-04-14, 07:09 PM   #34
Cliffjumper
Cellar Door

Smile

Yeh, Starscream's a bit Infiltration to start off with (the whole 'Con set-up is) but gets better later. I'm not as mad on him as some are, but he's the best Starscream we've had since (reading between the lines of) the first film.

Old 2012-04-15, 08:55 AM   #35
Skyquake87
One with the Matrix

i had high hopes for Starscream as was really enjoying having a competent and commanding version, but he's quickly been dragged down the cowardly traitor route, which is very disappointing. No doubt this for "the fans". F**k the fans, just serve the character well and with what his circumstances and m.o. deserve, not the same old bulls*t we've had for the last 20 odd years. boo.

I find that as aggrivating as Cliffy does Animated.

Skyquake87 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2012-04-15, 12:04 PM   #36
Cliffjumper
Cellar Door

Smile

I think my ideal Starscream would be the 2007 version, which by default or design really kept people guessing. It'd be great to have a really ambiguous version where we're not sure if he's sychophantic or sarcastic, cowardly or useless, rubbish or lazy. As much as it was hilarious when Prime hit him with his own arm and he got killed by Sam, it was even cooler when he took out Ironhide and Ratchet in ten seconds and then sat back and watched while Megatron fought Prime in the first film.

Mind, I'm always torn between wanting a really strong, impressive Starscream and wanting Starscream fans to be very, very unhappy.

Old 2012-04-15, 07:33 PM   #37
tahukanuva
Human After All

Tennessee, US
Smile

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cliffjumper View Post
Mind, I'm always torn between wanting a really strong, impressive Starscream and wanting Starscream fans to be very, very unhappy.
Honestly, I'm just as much a fan of Smackedwithhisownarmscream as I am of any of the more competent takes on him.

I really like Prime Starscream because he gives the feeling that he'd be a perfectly fine leader if he weren't stuck under the only Megatron with a brain and a loyal army. And, while there's no way we weren't going to get a backstabber, I like how this one waits for real chances to take over, rather than just going "AHA MEGATRON HAS TRIPPED CROWN ME" every episode.

tahukanuva is offline   Reply With Quote