• transformers live-action movies
  • transformers fandom
  • transformers forum

Go Back   TFARCHIVE > TRANSFORMERS > Transformers News & Rumours

Old 2011-12-11, 07:01 PM   #21
Not Cliffjumper, No Sir
Protoform

Smile

I think it was possibly an intentional choice, but made at a late (mid-run) choice. Like you say, in the first couple there's an attempt to make them a little less identikit, which is dropped fairly shortly aside from Mindset - but I suspect that's as much for ease of art (especially when Yaniger really began to fall behind the schedule and The Manster having to do so much work in such short time) as a plot point. However, I think it's a valid reading regardless of authorial intent.

And yup, it is one Hell of a coincidence that Starscream, Shockwave and Megatron are all on the Nucleon-plumbed Ark and also in the AM range... I reckon Galvatron would probably have met his end fairly shortish (he tends to take over a bit when he's alive what with his rogue status and power levels), but hopefully in a more convincing fashion - Megatron, maybe?

EDIT: My bad!

Last edited by Cliffjumper; 2011-12-11 at 07:21 PM.
Not Cliffjumper, No Sir is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2011-12-11, 08:29 PM   #22
inflatable dalek
Duke of Kidderminster

Kidderminster UK
Smile

Indeed stranger, Ratchet is the other odd one out, with no new toy I'd be amazed if he'd have even had Galvatron's brief reprise, I suspect at best the being turned into an Action Master would have solved the link problem for Megatron. At worst, as happened with G2, it'd have been forgotten.

inflatable dalek is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2011-12-15, 03:01 PM   #23
Blackjack
Micromaster

Regeneration #1? That's quite a punny title, but whatever.

Normally I don't mind art like this, but if it's going to be a continuation of Marvel comics, hey, at least make the colouring somewhat... I don't know, less glossy, perhaps?

I've honestly not been following this 'Marvel #81' thing, so I really don't know anything about it other than plans about it is in the works. However, if it is going to be set in 2011 yet ignore G2, well, I don't think I'm going to be happy about it at all.

Fingers crossed that it won't be Furman Stock Plot #81, with a Machination/Skywatch thing and a big giant head thrown in for good measure.

Blackjack is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2011-12-16, 08:22 AM   #24
Ulcrain
Dinobot

For all those wanting a concluion to G2, just read Alightnment

Ulcrain is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2011-12-16, 08:29 AM   #25
inflatable dalek
Duke of Kidderminster

Kidderminster UK
Smile

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ulcrain View Post
For all those wanting a concluion to G2, just read Alightnment
Or A Rage In Heaven, which pretty much is a successful conclusion despite the teasing (people worried about lose ends can always tear the last page out). Alignment may wrap up that one dangling plot thread, but the consensus seems to be it's not terribly good.

Old 2011-12-16, 11:03 AM   #26
Blackjack
Micromaster

Smile

I've read Alignment.

Really isn't much than 'a couple hundred years later, Liege Maximo does his crazy becoming-a-god plan, rocks fall, everyone dies'.

Nowhere as satisfying as A Rage in Heaven. All Alignment did was show us Liege Maximo's crazy plan, which in itself isn't much of a read. And Megatron being dead-and-resurrected as quite a big part of the story, which we already had in G2 itself... and even Grimlock and the others don't feel really right, you know?

It's not flat-out terrible, just not satisfying.

Blackjack is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2011-12-16, 03:14 PM   #27
Terome
Indigent

Brighton

The most memorable part of Alignment is the bit about how Grimlock doesn't need to sit down in a chair, but likes to do so anyway.

Terome is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2011-12-16, 03:28 PM   #28
inflatable dalek
Duke of Kidderminster

Kidderminster UK
Smile

Quote:
Originally Posted by Terome View Post
The most memorable part of Alignment is the bit about how Grimlock doesn't need to sit down in a chair, but likes to do so anyway.
I've really got to sit down and read this thing one of these days. It sounds so bad it goes all the way round infinity out the other side to become awesome.

To clarify though, I don't think anyone was expecting this book to be The Leige Maximo Strikes Again!, it's just the complete ignoring of G2 that's a bit disheartening. Actually no, complete ignoring wouldn't be so bad, Furman's initial slagging off of some of his best work as being too "90's" is what was annoying. Not only is it a bit of a cheap shot (will he do another continuation in 20 years when this one becomes "Too Teenies" and every two decades thereafter to keep it feeling current?) it sets him up for a fall if this book isn't anywhere near the quality of the best of G2. And lets not forget how high that bar is, we could wind up with a perfectly good comic that still disappoints because it's trying to supplant something better.

Old 2011-12-16, 05:25 PM   #29
Cliffjumper
Cellar Door

Smile

What rankles is that it's really not necessary, and feels like a desperate throw of the dice from a licensee which ran out of ideas two years ago and a writer who can't get a writing job anywhere.

I've no problem with the end of G2, which has just about the right amount of closure. I don't even really have a massive problem with the end of G1, considering it could have ended all Dead Furmanverse. I just do not think anyone involved in this project has the skill and guile to make it any good. The whole concept's ****ed in the arse by the 20-year gap and the '84-86' cast focus.

Alignment isn't so much bad as weird. It's a comic writer trying to write prose. A comic writer who isn't very good at endings try to write The Ending. It's full of really weird choices (without wanting to spoilerise, and working from old memories, a few characters go to one bad place... One is given a rather good gruesome death. Next paragraph or so we're informed that another is the sole survivor without any mention of what exactly happens).

Pertinently, it's a lot like ReGenEraTioN #81/1, in that it was blatantly made up a few months ahead of publication, bears little obvious relaion to the tone of the material it's following up to, features shameless playing to the gallery by a washed-up hack desperate for approval and answers a lot of questions which were much more interesting as unanswered.

Cliffjumper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2011-12-16, 07:16 PM   #30
Ulcrain
Dinobot

Hell if you wanted to, you could just read the storys that the prople at TMUK made. Won't feel gulity about reading them, after all James Roberts is writeing one of new ongoing. Just try out All That Jazz.

Ulcrain is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2011-12-16, 11:03 PM   #31
inflatable dalek
Duke of Kidderminster

Kidderminster UK
Smile

I have never felt guilty about watching or reading any Transformers fiction. It's about twenty years to late for that. Minimum.

I think there's some cross wires going in here Ulcrain, both your last two posts have responded to any critiscm of what ReGeneration stands a good chance of being (but I think any of us with worries will be happy to admit we're wrong if we end up enjoying the book) by saying "Don't like this... Read Alignment/TMUK instead". Which is missing the cause of most of the worries about the actual book.

All the previously published material anyone has complained about in this thread at most is, IDW ignoring the Hasbro approved Marvel continuation that was G2. No one is expecting ReGeneration to acknowledge or include any fan fic, which both Alignment and TMUK are. Even with them both involving people who worked on official titles, even with both containing stuff that many people (not me, simply as I've never read either) love a lot. That's irrelevant for an official tie in. It doesn't affect what the reader finds good or not, but no franchise that has a lot of fan fic will see the owner pay any attention to it. Simply because there's not enough hours in the day to read all of it.

Last edited by inflatable dalek; 2011-12-16 at 11:26 PM. Reason: Book... Not Bok. Unless an evil Ferengi is going to show up.
Old 2012-01-28, 02:23 PM   #32
inflatable dalek
Duke of Kidderminster

Kidderminster UK
Red face

A Furman interview with more (I have to say fairly terrible looking) Wildman art:

http://www.comicbookresources.com/?p...ticle&id=36515

"I don't like to look back, but IDW won't let me work on any of the books they care about".

And it looks as if Cliffy is right about Magnus being "Space Cop".

Old 2012-01-28, 07:58 PM   #33
Terome
Indigent

Brighton

To be honest, I think Cliffjumper has got this series pegged. Sometimes I like to imagine that Cliffy is Simon Furman, deranged beyond belief, letting out his self-loathing through a non de plume.

I am currently at Angouleme, one of the biggest and most respected comics festivals in the world. I have yet to see the slightest mention of a Transformer or a Transformers comic.

(Actually, wait. There was that Jeffrey Brown Incredible Change-Bots book on sale somewhere.)

Old 2012-01-28, 08:34 PM   #34
Skyquake87
One with the Matrix

That Jeffrey Brown book is probably the best Transformers comic we've had over the last decade.

I wish I'd joined the fanclub

Skyquake87 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2012-01-28, 08:52 PM   #35
Terome
Indigent

Brighton

Quote:
Originally Posted by Skyquake87 View Post
That Jeffrey Brown book is probably the best Transformers comic we've had over the last decade.

I wish I'd joined the fanclub
Yeah, it really does nail everything about why the property is both great and goofy. The sequel is good, too.

Old 2012-01-29, 01:25 AM   #36
Summerhayes
always late to the party

Somerset, England.

Jesus, this looks crap. Could it be some clever ploy on IDW's part to get Furman to leave their main series alone?
I've only just caught up with the old Marvel books, but I can't imagine going back to them now like this will be anything other than stupid. Especially considering that really, every comic since G1 went off the air has basically been a desperate attempt to recover the magic.

Summerhayes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2012-01-29, 02:31 PM   #37
Denyer
Shooty Dog Thing

UK

Don't know if people are aware, but the Free Comic Book Day issue for Transformers this year is a preview/lead-in for the Regenerations book. I'm going to check that out before considering committing to a 20-issue run.

Steve's got 'em ordered if anyone else in the UK assumes that we're going to be shafted on FCBD distribution;

http://oneshallstand.com/shop/regene...issue80-5.html

Denyer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2012-03-09, 01:27 AM   #38
zigzagger
There ain't no Sanity Clause

3-page preview @ Newsarama.

zigzagger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2012-03-09, 04:15 AM   #39
Warcry
Likes Beast Wars toys. A lot.

Winnipeg, Manitoba, Canada

That's, uh...pretty pretentious.

Also, I dunno why they're recapping the story so far when absolutely no one is going to buy the book who isn't already familiar with the story that it's continuing.

Warcry is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2012-03-09, 08:51 AM   #40
Cliffjumper
Cellar Door

Smile

Furman is just Chris Claremont, isn't he?

The whole thing looks, reads, feels and will be treated by any sane person like a convention comic. The thing has less soul than reality TV.

So, IDW have screwed over their own comic universe, the Movieverse, BW and now the Marvel stuff, and their Prime comic is probably rubbish too. By my reckoning that's every half-decent body of work under the banner they've tainted with their grubby money-grabbing mandibles.

Cliffjumper is offline   Reply With Quote