• transformers fandom
  • transformers forum

Go Back   TFARCHIVE > TRANSFORMERS > Transformers News & Rumours

Old 2011-12-15, 09:06 PM   #41
inflatable dalek
Duke of Kidderminster

Kidderminster UK
Lightbulb

I respect Pat Lee more for refusing to pay for half the crap his company turned out. It was better spent on the Porsche frankly, I suspect the car had a firmer grasp of art and storytelling anyway.

inflatable dalek is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 2011-12-15, 09:18 PM   #42
Neuronutter
Gestalt

Halifax, NS

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cliffjumper View Post
Nope. Stiffing some naive hacks out of a few thousand dollars makes him history's greatest monster.
Pat Lee's like Saddam, Pol Pot and Gaddafi all rolled into one.

Neuronutter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2011-12-16, 08:12 AM   #43
inflatable dalek
Duke of Kidderminster

Kidderminster UK
Smile

And lets not forget, he managed to hoodwink Alex Milne not once, but twice. Which is pure comedy gold in and of itself. I wouldn't be surprised if IDW don't pay him either considering how easy it is to string him along. Lee's not evil, he's the Transformers version of Jeremy Beadle.

The current Moonbase 2 podcast has a lengthy James Roberts' interview that, if nothing else, shows he can talk the talk better than Costa (he even manages to make the fact he's completely revamping Drift's character seem like it isn't a desperate attempt to make someone like the poor bugger). Only a month to go till we find out if he can walk the walk on an ongoing as well.

Old 2011-12-21, 09:25 AM   #44
inflatable dalek
Duke of Kidderminster

Kidderminster UK
Smile

My (apologetically) lengthy thoughts on the main points of the interview, and the current state of Transformers in general:
http://thesolarpool.weebly.com/1/pos...od-comics.html.

Roberts really does have a huge hole to dig the comics out of doesn't he? Apologies to Mr. Barber, but if it were just you (or just about any other writer working with you) it would be very hard for me to give a toss.

EDIT: Oh, and just as I finish that, I find Chris Ryall tweeted this in response to the interview (courtesy Transfans):

Quote:
Sometimes you spend your afternoon at the Magic Kingdom only to find an exploding inbox full of very avoidable problems.

Freelancers, really, take this to heart: if you're writing characters you don't own and want to keep writing them, mind what you say online.

Alright, well, now that I know what my tomorrow will be, might as well not think about it any more until then. G'night all.
I assume that was the stuff he said about the origin of the new books which contradicted the Official Line was what caused especial annoyance? Though the Magic Kingdom crap makes me actually like Costa more by default.

Old 2011-12-21, 11:43 AM   #45
The Reverend
Double Targetmaster

Knoxville, TN

(chuckle) I stopped reading IDW early on. Dreamwave had its faults, but IDWs emphasis on drawing lots of ECUs of eyes and mouths annoyed me.

The Reverend is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2012-01-05, 01:30 PM   #46
StarscreamX
Dinobot

So just to recap

When they needed someone to write their shiny new Transformers comic, IDW picked a bloke who doesn't understand the characters, doesn't like the characters, doesn't know how to WRITE the characters and thinks that all of the readers are a bit mental and would much rather be writing something else instead

GENIUS

StarscreamX is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2012-01-05, 02:36 PM   #47
Red Dave Prime
Assistant Comic Reviewer

Ireland

Hey, dont forget they kept him on for 2+ years.

Red Dave Prime is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2012-01-05, 09:52 PM   #48
Neuronutter
Gestalt

Halifax, NS

Quote:
Originally Posted by StarscreamX View Post
So just to recap

When they needed someone to write their shiny new Transformers comic, IDW picked a bloke who doesn't understand the characters, doesn't like the characters, doesn't know how to WRITE the characters and thinks that all of the readers are a bit mental and would much rather be writing something else instead

GENIUS

Awesome. That really is too funny!

Neuronutter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2012-01-05, 09:57 PM   #49
Cliffjumper
Cellar Door

Smile

Quote:
Originally Posted by Red Dave Prime View Post
Hey, dont forget they kept him on for 2+ years.
Furman was on the book for much more than 2 years. Infiltration was seven years long for a start.

Cliffjumper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2012-01-06, 06:35 AM   #50
Red Dave Prime
Assistant Comic Reviewer

Ireland

Furman at least likes the subject. Comparing his run to costas is more than a bit unfair.

Red Dave Prime is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2012-01-07, 06:17 PM   #51
StarscreamX
Dinobot

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cliffjumper View Post
Furman was on the book for much more than 2 years. Infiltration was seven years long for a start.
Furman's run wasn't very good either it's true but I would argue his run was a bit better than Costa's. Furman's big problem was that he didn't seem to know how to actually tell a story anymore, setting up about a hundred subplots that got maybe two pages worth of development (if we were lucky) each issue. In a way it's a good thing IDW made him hurry up and conclude them or we'd probably still be waiting for any development on the Dinobot/Dead Universe/Machination/Facsimile plotlines to this day.

But at the same time, he managed to write most of the characters pretty well and gave us some fun moments with some cool characters. And Verity, Jimmy and Hunter O-this-name-is-bloody-ridiculous were, while forgettable, not as annoying as Spike.

I'd say Furman was better than Costa. But then that's a bit like saying a punch in the face is better than a kick in the bollocks. They both hurt, one just hurts slightly less

StarscreamX is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2012-01-11, 11:47 PM   #52
poyguimogul
Life is.. So unpredictable..

The mini-apple.

"We are failing because Dreamwave was better."

We know. (or at least I do)

poyguimogul is offline   Reply With Quote