• transformers forum

Go Back   TFARCHIVE > TRANSFORMERS > Transformers Media & Fandom > New Comics

Old 2013-10-21, 05:14 PM   #941
Terome
Indigent

Brighton

Quote:
Originally Posted by Red Dave Prime View Post

I wouldn't mind a justified trip back to earth or to other alien planets. Cybertron worked better as a dead duck world if you ask me.
Yeah, they should have blown that sucker up back when they had the chance.

Terome is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2013-10-21, 06:56 PM   #942
Denyer
Shooty Dog Thing

UK

Quote:
Originally Posted by Red Dave Prime View Post
given the ease with which Whirl kills the Terradores leader, you wonder how these guys can even be compared to the Autobots yet alone seem to be equal or even better. The other is that by having a race out in the universe who do everything the Transformers do but more, it kinda takes away from them
They're just boasters?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Death's Head View Post
(I'm basically saying James Roberts should be editor here.)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Skyquake87 View Post
..or write everything!
No-no, and, not or...

Denyer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2013-10-21, 06:57 PM   #943
Auntie Slag
Satisfaction guaranteed !

Cambridge, UK

Cybertron should be an amazing place! Massive robots clubbing each other senseless, tall-as-you-like skyscrapers and worlds descending into the floor of the planet (e.g. Flame's hideout, the twisted Institutes, the gladiatorial pits, the smelting pools, the space bridges).

Cybertron is full of stuff. From the moment we first saw its Decepticon-ravaged state in the Smelting Pool saga it looked like a fascinating and grisly planet! Megatron is dead proud of it. He wants to take it around the galaxy to show it off and kill stuff with it.

There should also be stacks of robots who are not just bipedal. Why not explore the reasons why one robot shouldn't move at all, compared to another who more or less moves around and lives like a human? And explore the brilliant differences a robot can do on his own planet that a human cannot (bodyswapping for example), or why, if a robot can download all the books on Earth in moments, why should he bother to move around and communicate at the pace of a human?

I mean, logically they should've all concluded that fighting was pointless before fighting ever started. So there's some things to explore as to just why a robot wants to hit things.

Auntie Slag is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2013-10-21, 10:36 PM   #944
Death's Head
Gestalt

London

Quote:
Originally Posted by inflatable dalek View Post
The odd thing is, based on Eugenesis, before both series started I'd have had him as a shoe in for the post-Cybertron rebuilding one. Not that I've any complaints with how MTMTE has worked out, but it does feel as if Barber is, if not out of his depth then certainly out of his comfort zone at times. I've read/heard at least one interview where he talked about the difficulty of fitting what he considered to be the required amount of action scenes into the series, which to me suggests a lack of faith in the basic political nature of the set up.
I suspect that James was given MTMTE with a specific brief to make it the 'comedy' book - to contrast with the more serious-minded Robots in Disguise. A lot of people have criticised James for the humour inherent in MTMTE as if it were a fundamental hallmark of his work but, as anyone familiar with his previous work would know, it's actually a rather recent addition - for me the real hallmark of his work has always been attention to detail, particularly with regard to world-building, and intricate plotting (I mean, look at the sheer amount of cultural-exploration he gave us regarding Cybertronian society in, what, about seven issues worth of flashbacks across Chaos Theory and Shadowplay?)

I think it comes down to the fact that James is simply the better writer. Some of the problems people have flagged up with recent issues of MTMTE regarding pacing and the ever-controversial text-based coda to Remain in Light are, I feel, more to do with the editorial side of things, rather than any lack of skill on James' part. I wonder, had he been the senior writer, if these problems couldn't have been avoided.

But then if James was busy writing RiD, what on Earth would MTMTE have turned out like...?

Quote:
After all, no one ever watched House of Cards and though "You know what these needs, Ian Richardson blowing da shit up".
We do live in the age of Pride, Prejudice and Zombies...

SMITH
Portfolio | Blog | Freelance Agent Brompton Rhodes - Guns, Girls and Gorillas!
Death's Head is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 2013-11-09, 05:25 PM   #945
Auntie Slag

Cambridge, UK

Sorry for resurrecting an old thread, but we were commenting in a few different places about Rewind being trapped in the slow cell with Overlord. Chromedome had his arm cut off by the door, implying that in the time it took him to rush to the gun port and blow up the slow cell, Overlord would've had the equivalent of half an hour to use Chromedome's severed arm on Rewind and do some serious lobotomisation.

But I just noticed that Chromedome only ever injected with his right hand... in every scene that required it. It suggests his severed left-arm has no such special brain-needles. In which case the arm is a red herring, so what was Overlord up to for that half-hour?

Little things like this keep me intrigued. Roberts must've insisted to Milne and other artists that whenever Chromedome do this, he use his right hand. Much like Scrounge and his special arm.

Old 2013-11-09, 05:57 PM   #946
Warcry
Likes Beast Wars toys. A lot.

Winnipeg, Manitoba, Canada
Smile

Quote:
Originally Posted by Auntie Slag View Post
Sorry for resurrecting an old thread, but we were commenting in a few different places about Rewind being trapped in the slow cell with Overlord. Chromedome had his arm cut off by the door, implying that in the time it took him to rush to the gun port and blow up the slow cell, Overlord would've had the equivalent of half an hour to use Chromedome's severed arm on Rewind and do some serious lobotomisation.
A lot of people have said that, but they're reading things backwards. Time ran slower inside the cell than outside. If the slow-down was active, it would have seemed like less than a second for Rewind and Overlord between the door closing and them getting blown up.

Otherwise what good would a slow cell be? Your prisoners would escape and kill you before you even realized they were thinking about it.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Auntie Slag View Post
But I just noticed that Chromedome only ever injected with his right hand... in every scene that required it. It suggests his severed left-arm has no such special brain-needles. In which case the arm is a red herring, so what was Overlord up to for that half-hour?
I'm not sure about that. Some of the cover art, at least, shows him injecting with both hands. I would put this down to "most humans are right-handed", because most of the time in comics artists are going to automatically draw all their characters as if they're right-handed even when it doesn't actually make sense to do so (like with Transformers).

Warcry is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 2013-11-09, 06:16 PM   #947
Auntie Slag

Cambridge, UK
Smile

Cool, thanks for clearing up the slow-cell time. That solves the issue of Overlord having time to do anything other than glance at Rewind. However, the door was closed, but was the slow cell activated? Chromedome could see Rewind through the glass pane, and it appeared as if they were moving at equal rates either side of the door. Maybe I'm just reaching too far now.

Does the cover art show Chromedome injecting with both hands? I'm looking at the Roche cover art to Issue 3, and only the right hand is on Shock's face.

Sorry, it's obvious I'm pontificating about doing work by looking at old issues and trying to find clues. I'm also intrigued as to the link between Rung mentioning deja vu when looking at the portal, and Chromedome describing his injecting trick to Skids as not feeling painful, more like a sense of deja vu. Has Rung/Is Rung a product of the Institute, and is he linked to Chromedome somehow? Was Rung a head? His legs I've always thought have the same stylings as a Headmaster toy, and with his colouring he could be a substitute for Stylor.

And why was the medical droid described as 'taking a shine' to Spoke and Lockstock?

Old 2013-11-09, 11:50 PM   #948
Unicron
Time for plan bee-weeoop

Milne cover to issue 14 shows both hands injecting Overlord.
Being a cover it doesn't necessarily mean anything.

What I'm trying to figure out is why both Overlord and Tyrest have finger-drills. Overlord mentions his are related to mnemosurgery. Does that mean Tyrest is into brain-tinkering too or is it a coincidence?

I'm also trying to figure out why a schematic of Fort Max's Battlestation/Spaceship mode shows up on a screen in Brainstorm's lab. Could be simple easter egg, but given Roberts' love of hints and foreshadowing, I'm wondering if Brainstorm is going to use that point one percenter spark he harvested to create Grand or Brave Maximus.
I can't see any reason why it wouldn't work. Alt-mode size is a non-issue, what with Brainstorm's work with that mass displacement gun in the annual.

Unicron is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2013-11-10, 04:12 PM   #949
Knightdramon
Primus

York, UK

And, page 10. One of my favourite pages ever. Amazing how powerful such a simple question is ["are you happy"] with static stills and text of what various bots reply. The ones with Chromedome and Drift are amazing.

Few stuff in the UK to trade/sell. Measly sales thread.
Knightdramon is offline   Reply With Quote