• transformers fandom
  • transformers forum

Go Back   TFARCHIVE > TRANSFORMERS > Transformers Media & Fandom

Old 2012-05-18, 02:48 PM   #41
inflatable dalek
Duke of Kidderminster

Kidderminster UK
Smile

It's one of those things that would probably work best done by fans themselves even if that means less top notch voice acting.

It does show up some of the flaws in the idea though, I can't see anyone who wasn't already a really dedicated fan sitting through it (you've got two minutes of story so far recap followed by Galavatron giving a lengthy "As you know, your father the King" speech before a strangely badly staged action scene), and that's the group who are most likely to want the original cartoon "as is".

inflatable dalek is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2012-05-18, 02:54 PM   #42
Cliffjumper
Cellar Door

Smile

Yeh, I wouldn't really want to knock the VAs as it's fans doing it with their own time and equipment (and some of it really isn't too bad). But you've got the choice between an extended recap or a cold open. I would suspect that very very few casuals would be all that au fait with the set-up of something relatively bread and butter like Season 3. And jesus does the animation look dated - I realise the HM production team made a conscious choice to ape the American shows which was then somewhat scaled back, but it doesn't really help matters. The problems remain inherent to the show.

If someone put a gun to my head and told me I had to pick a Japanese series to re-edit and market, I'd actually go for Masterforce despite it being shite. Headmasters, especially for the first half-dozen or so episodes, is a sequel to season 3 and relatively heavy on continuity - with very few links to the set-up of Seasons 1-2 which are most likely to be remembered (and expected) by a potential more mainstream audience. Very, very few non-fans have seen more than the odd episode of the G1 cartoon since the 1980s.

It would be like IDW launching their Transformers comics with a direct, continuity-laden sequel to the Marvel run.

Cliffjumper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2012-05-18, 03:10 PM   #43
inflatable dalek
Duke of Kidderminster

Kidderminster UK
Smile

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cliffjumper View Post
Yeh, I wouldn't really want to knock the VAs as it's fans doing it with their own time and equipment (and some of it really isn't too bad).
Oh sure, it's good for what it is (though I'm afraid I didn't make it far into the episode), and it's certainly does the job. I think the sound levels not being quite right on the voices is more the problem than the acting.

I think less literal translations of the Japanese would help, I sure the dialouge flows much better in the original but here (and in the previous subtitles and Star TV dub so it's a professional problem as well) it tends to seem very stilted.

Quote:
And jesus does the animation look dated - I realise the HM production team made a conscious choice to ape the American shows which was then somewhat scaled back, but it doesn't really help matters. The problems remain inherent to the show.
Yeah, it's a decision that makes perfect sense in context, though we now think of them as a completely different beast the Japanese series were intended to be just the next lot of episodes of a successful show. It's understandable that they'd start off trying to feel as much like the previous season as possible (it even seems to be over compensating, there's lots of characters and stuff, especially in the early episodes, that hasn't been seen since before the movie), I doubt that many, if any, kids watching even knew the series was effectively under new management.

It doesn't quite work somehow though, and you can tell it didn't at the time because the way everything is pretty much chucked out for Masterforce suggests the previous year did, if not so disastrously as to cause cancellation, at least poorly enough to warrant a major revamp (I suspect Takara were aware of how the line was dying in America and may have considered directly carrying on in that style would be a really silly idea).

Quote:
If someone put a gun to my head and told me I had to pick a Japanese series to re-edit and market, I'd actually go for Masterforce despite it being shite.
As long as Ginrai is called Optimus Prime throughout.

I actually think Masterforce builds up to a pretty decent climax, it just takes a real long time to get going.

inflatable dalek is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2012-05-18, 05:42 PM   #44
Cliffjumper
Cellar Door

Smile

Eh, I find the problem with Masterforce is that it's got too much in common with other Japanese mech shows which do that sort of thing much better. I'd suggest it's possibly the most marmite of the TF series, though. "Shite" is a bit harsh; just totally not my thing is probably more apposite.

And yeh, the decision to carry on very much in the vein of Season 3/2010 is a sound one - it just to me really grounds the series in 1987 and just the wrong thing to try and relaunch G1 to an older audience. It's a 25-year old cartoon, and it shows.

Only watched the first part myself, and it really does just back up what I'm saying. The scenes such as Galvatron and company and later Spike, Wreck-Gar etc. just emphasise to me that the raw material isn't worth salvaging - Headmasters includes a lot of scenes of robots just standing around talking at each other (more than US G1 ever did); what is actually said is important to the episodes but the actual direction and composition scenes makes them very dull and boring regardless of how it's delivered. Yet slice them out and you're missing plot points.

TBH I'm happy enough to take Headmasters as it is, goofy stuff included. To do otherwise reminds me of that guy who had done that fan edit of RotF slicing out the jokes and dubbing Stan Bush numbers over the nu-metal stuff. It's like 'who are you kidding?'.

Cliffjumper is offline   Reply With Quote