Cellar Door

Jesus ****ing Christ.

Cliffjumper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2013-02-09, 06:22 PM   #222
inflatable dalek
Duke of Kidderminster

Kidderminster UK
Smile

Actually started a Quatermass rewatch, currently halfway through the second serial. Tate was actually better than I remembered, there's a certain wry weariness to him that works well. He is somewhat overshadowed by Paul Whitsun Jones really hamming up his journalist though.

Robinson on the other hand is like something from a Harry Enfield sketch. Which is a shame as the production is so much more polished than the first it's surprising there's only two years between them. Plus a random Wilfred Bramble not looking any younger than as Steptoe cameo. Kneale really deserved a credit on Spearhead From Space as well, the first five minutes of both are identical.

inflatable dalek is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 2013-02-09, 08:57 PM   #223
Heinrad
Ironmod

Riskin' it all on my Russian Roulette!

After years of general not-to-hard searching, I finally found Kuffs on DVD. Gotta love Christian Slater.

I also picked up a Russian film called Black Lightning. It's a lot of fun. Although there's an odd irony to watching a movie that Mike Mcconnohie plays the bad guy in(or dubs the voice for) involving a flying car. How droll.

As a professional tanuki (I'm a Japanese mythological animal, and a good luck charm), I have an alarm clock built into me somewhere. I also look like a stuffed animal. And you thought your life was tough......

3DS Friend Code: 1092-1274-7642
Heinrad is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 2013-02-10, 12:24 PM   #224
Auntie Slag
Satisfaction guaranteed !

Cambridge, UK
Red face

Bought the Robocop trilogy because it was 2 only. I've been watching the agony that is Robocop 2 for the first time in over 20 years and oddly its miles better than I remember it.

It's shot and plays almost like an episode of Police Squad, its disgustingly violent in places, and best of all some of the characters have brilliant names like State Attorney Sphincter and an OCP lawyer called Shyster.
The haircuts and colour styles almost make it look like a 70's film, rather than something shot in 1990.

And it makes modern superhero films look like the pretentious, self-important piles of crap they are. This is not a good film, and I probably won't ever watch it again, but its completely oddball, and I kind of get the idea that everyone in it really had fun.

Sadly it completely destroys the atmos the original Robocop achieved with aplomb.

"It's not until you're an adult you appreciate how awesome a dog is. Your dreams start dying, somebody cheats on you, bankers f*** up your pension. Then you come home and that dog's looking at you and he's like, 'Dude, you're awesome!' - Bill Burr

I re-invented my image so many times that I'm in denial that I was originally an overweight Korean woman. - David Bowie
Auntie Slag is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2013-02-16, 01:46 AM   #225
inflatable dalek
Duke of Kidderminster

Kidderminster UK
Smile

It was a few weeks ago I got this, but as a word of warning to the good people here...

After being delayed over Christmas, I resumed my rewatching of the Alien and Predator movies, mainly to see if any of them were as bad as Prometheus.

Short answer: No, even Bald Casualty Actors... IN SPACE and My Failed Firefly Pilot were more enjoyable. Predator 2 is at least shorter.

And then it was the time for the AVP flicks. I'd seen the first before, and you know, it's still harmless B Movie fun that does exactly what you'd expect of such a daft concept and does it well. It also has several ideas that are also explored in Prometheus... and does them better. Or at least not in a "Well, this is trying to present itself as smart but when you think about it for thirty seconds it's really stupid" way.

So then it was the time for AVPR, as the cool kids call it. I was confident by this point my Prometheus threshold would not be broken. Sure, I'd seen the reviews. Been warned by friends. But what do they know? They thought I was crazy for liking the first AVP film after all.

Oh hubris, your name is dalek. Everyone was right. Well, except the oft repeated complaint about it being too dark, I had no problem making everything out or following the action (though I do wish more this wasn't the case). Perhaps everyone else who saw it forgot to take their sunglasses off?

I don't have a problem with a film that sets out to subvert the cliche of kids and animals always surviving these events, the original Assault on Precinct 13 has a great example of that with the girl buying the ice-cream who, as John Carpenter puts it, "Got creamed". I would even say the first chestbuster coming out of a small boy could have worked in a similar vein if not for the fact they really played up how nasty that would be.

And does anyone want to see a "Predalien" going into a maternity ward and mouth raping a pregnant woman so lots of chestbusters eat out from her insides killing her and the baby? This film is just full of needlessly, nasty and just plain horrible moments that I can't imagine anyone wanting to see (well, I suppose it might be possible to make a brilliant horror film out of these ideas, but this is not the way to do it).

And I like shlocky OTT horror normally, but weirdly everyone is being directed to play it as real as possible taking any potential fun from even the more mild horror tropes.

And then all the stuff between the mouth rape and baby eating (though to be fair, the picture does fade out when the "Predalien" is actually surrounded by babies so maybe he just threw them a little party and did magic tricks? Based on the running time I saw the theatrical cut rather than the longer DVD version... God knows what it did in that. Probably bum raped all the babies whilst shouting "Jimmy Savile is your daddy!") is as dull as dishwater.

So well done Ridley Scott, you made an Alien film that was less bad than the one directed by, based on the finished film, two 12 year old boys who think violence and swearing are the best things ever but don't really have any idea of what to do with them.

Old 2013-02-17, 02:45 PM   #226
Cliffjumper
Cellar Door

Smile

Tropic Thunder - funny but overrated, though it's nice to know Robert Downey Jr can still act when he's not chowing on corporate scrotum.

Collateral - On a minor Michael Mann kick at the moment, having finally got round to seeing Thief (tasty!) and The Keep (excellent, seems purpose-designed to piss off people who liked the book by omitting basically everything) and hunting down a dirt cheap copy of Manhunter (which hopefully follows the same formula) so found this relatively style-less film to be a bit of a disappointment despite the leads being really, really good. I actually rather like Tom Cruise - he's a bit like Downey in that he can act when he's not just parachuted into production-line crap.

Plus a whole ****-ton of Hammers, despite them being largely underwhelming and a lot more boring than I remembered (the Frankenstien ones are awful, poor Peter Cushing dragging whole films along on his weedy little shoulders). Hopefully Dr. Jekyll and Sister Hyde will redress that as I seem to recall it being quite smart and featuring Martine Beswick in a Victorian suit.

It'll be on tonight's double bill with Sorcerer - an American remake of Wages of Fear directed by the guy who done Exorcist and starring the bloke in Jaws everyone thought was dead until he died. Nailed on as a classic, that one. I'm not sure if it's a common thing on DVDs that I've never noticed but the disc actually also contains a bonus feature called "Film Highlights". I mean, Jesus ****ing Christ, is the chapter menu not there for the sort of morons who like that sort of thing?

Old 2013-02-19, 09:43 PM   #227
Cyberstrike nTo
Primus

In the Dead Universe known as Indianapolis

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cliffjumper View Post
Jesus ****ing Christ.
Oh fine.

Farscape: The Peacekeeper Wars was originally 2 part mini-series follow up to Farscape, a four season show that ended in a cliffhanger.
Click here if you want to read a plot summary, warning it does contain spoilers.

Farscape: The Peacekeeper War has a lot of ideas that were intended for season 5 of the show. Trying to wrap up a lot of the existing plot threads and set up a couple for a possible new series (that didn't happened sadly) and/or another mini-series or movie is a tall order and while most of the major plots are resolved in satisfying way and while a few are not like Scorpius being a double agent or a triple agent and the reasons why for his girlfriends treason which makes little sense in reguards to her character on the series.
It tries to explain the backstory so that new veiwers can understand what is going on but to be honest IMHO it's much better to watch the TV series before you watch it so you understand the backstory. Still it allows Farscape goes out with a bang.

Batman: The Dark Knight Returns part 2 the second part of the adaption of the most famous Batman series is IMHO very faithful for the most part and in someways improvement over the source material especially in terms of the climatic final battle between Batman and Superman.

Skyfall one the best James Bond films in recent years. What more needs to be said about it that has already been said?

The X-WCW a fun site for fun people.
Cyberstrike nTo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2013-02-23, 06:17 AM   #228
HeavyArms
Unicron

Karingal, Victoria, Australia

Person Of Interest, Young Justice Season 1, Steins; Gate Part 2, Lawless and Horizon In The Middle Of Nowhere.

Person Of Interest: Chris Nolan's brother seems to be a producer or writer on this, which may explain why the main actor was hired for this show, as he does look similar to Christian Bale, but not really a bad thing as I liked the Dark Knight trilogy, and I liked the first episode of this as well.

Young Justice: Bought this off Amazon as it looked like the third volume was being constantly pushed back in over here, and now it looks like YJ has been cancelled after two seasons, which sucks.

Steins;Gate Part 2: Second half of a very good anime involving teleportation or some such. Much better than Chaos;Head.

Lawless: Movie based during Prohibition Era America, a good movie with Guy Pearce, Jessica Chastain and Tom Hardy.

Don't know much about Horizon though.

Destruction is my specialty
HeavyArms is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2013-02-23, 08:48 PM   #229
inflatable dalek
Duke of Kidderminster

Kidderminster UK
Smile

As the DVD only seemed to be second hand and over priced I wound up watching this on Youtube on my tab because I LIVE IN THE FUTURE. However, as it fits in with some of the above conversation and we don't have a "Latest things watched on Youtube on your tab whilst having a poo" thread...

So the lesson from the fourth and final Quatermass TV serial was All Young People Are Twats. Though thanks to the Saved By the Bell style casting, "Young" is defined as undeer 40. Lots of good moments and great ideas (albeit mainly the same ideas as Quatermass and the Pit) but being so down on the youth even though they were basically victims and ignoring the fact its the previous generation that created this evil Mavic Chen run dystopia makes it fell very lopsided in its argument.

The "Dark Britain" stuff was actually much more interesting and well portrayed than the main plot. It's made me tempted to check out the of a similar vintage Guardians TV show that has similar themes on that score.

I did love how there was no coyness about the identity of the King though. Yep, Charles will happily be monarch of evil fascist lawless Britain. Ethel offa Eastenders is probably the last person you'd expect to see in a dystopia as well.

The best bit, oddly enough, was the only bit I'd seen before, Brian Croucher's little cameo outside the destroyed Wembley (still better than the current stadium, right?) where he starts off seeming like a stock fascist bully boy, Travis II redux if you will, before breaking down at the thought of standing in the ashes of 70 000 dead children. A genuinely great bit of acting that surpasses his Blake's 7 work by a long way.

Old 2013-02-23, 09:31 PM   #230
Skyquake87
One with the Matrix

Batman : Year One Rather lovely animated adaption of the acclaimed comic book storyline. Only spoilt by Bryan Cranston's rather bored and phoned in voice acting for Bruce Wayne/ Batman. Shame really, as eveyone else puts the effort in. Even Katee Sackoff in a rather thankless supporting role. Props to Eliza Dushku for her spirited performance as Selina Kyle/ Catwoman. Shame she never played in the live action films. She'd have been a good choice, I think. There's a bunch of extras too, but I haven't watched those. All in all, very pleased with the 3 this cost from barrel scraping merchants B&M.

Transformers Prime : Season One volume 2. UK release, piecemeal as ever, of season one of the show. Just episodes 5 - 10. Having watched Prime as grainy YouTube uploads, I do have a newfound appreciation for the animation. It is just beautiful. The stories are all pretty forgetable, but I'm concerned that Miko is growing on me. Ugh.

Skyquake87 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2013-02-23, 09:44 PM   #231
Cliffjumper
Cellar Door

Smile

Once they do some proper season collections of Prime I'll be buying it on DVD; the Hub idents are seriously intrusive (I mean, a transforming Bumblebee overlaid on a scene in a Transformers cartoon?) even by American TV standards on my off-air copies.

I got myself Driven, the hilariously violent car crash camp drama starring Sylvester Stallone. The funniest film I have seen for a very, very long time.

In relation to the above, Sorcerer turned out to be rather good on the whole, did some different stuff with the base plot and added a couple of crackerjack suspense sequences of its' own - the rope bridge is fantastic; it wasn't as good as Wages of Fear but then not much else is. Dr. Jekyll and Sister Hyde wasn't quite as kinky as I remembered (for late Hammer it's quite restrained, only one scene of Beswick fondling herself in a mirror) but was still very, very good.

For tomorrow's movie it's a tossup between Eastwood shite The Gauntlet or Cobra Verde.

Old 2013-02-23, 09:50 PM   #232
inflatable dalek
Duke of Kidderminster

Kidderminster UK
Smile

I'll likely order the OZ Blu ray of Prime at some point as it's the same region. Why Australia and Germany get a complete season one set (alongside individual disc releases) when we've only got as far as the first ten episodes across two releases I've no idea. It can't be more popular in those two countries surely?

@Cliffy, does the German DVD set have the original English track on it? Unless you're fussy about readable packaging that might work out better for you than waiting to see if the UK ever bothers with a release.

Old 2013-02-26, 09:25 PM   #233
Cyberstrike nTo
Primus

In the Dead Universe known as Indianapolis

The Night of the Hunter. I keep meaning to check out more Robert Mitchum films but usually I end up watching documentaries about him or featuring him. This film is the only film directed by actor Charles Laughton sadly he never directed a film again it has elements of German Impressive American Southern Gothic, Film Noir, Horror, Suspense Thriller, film.

Mitchum plays Powell a serial killer who is arrested in Depression-Era West Virgina for car theft. In jail he meets Peter Graves, who plays a bank robber who in the heist killed 2 men and stole $10,000. Before he's arrested he hides the money but on his farm his 2 kids, John and Pearl, see him hiding the money and know it's at. He swears them both to secrecy, mumbling "And the children shall lead them" and he is hanged for the murder and robbery.

Powell courts his widow and marries her. John is suspicious of his new step dad and Pearl likes him. Powell tries to convince her to tell him where the money is, John constantly stops her. Pearl digs up the money to give to Powell but John stops her and they stuff it in her doll instead. Powell kills their mother (her dead body tied to a car with her hair flowing with underwater plants is both beautiful and disturbing at the same time) because she suspects he's up to no good. Powell then confronts the kids in the cellar and after a lot yelling John tells him that the money is buried down there. Pearl gets scared and reveals that the money is in her doll. John knocks down a shelf that falls down on Powell's head. The kids escape in a row boat and Powell kills a farmer and steals his horse and chases them. The kids go down the river in an almost fairy tale like before they wind up at near home of Rachel (played by Lillian Gish) a strong-willed elderly woman who takes in orphans. Powell tracks them down and tries to lie about his relationship with the kids, John calls out his lies and Rachel believes him and she and the kids hole up in her house against Powell before the police arrive and arrest him. Powell is tried and sentenced to die, and John and Pearl are raised by Rachel.

The film is one of the most visually striking films I've seen in a LONG time and Mitchum's performance for the most part is frighting although there are times he comes off like he's overacting (especially chasing the kids up the cellar he looks like he's doing a bad Frankenstein played by Glenn Strange impression). Shelly Winters who plays his unfortunate wife is equally very good, as a woman who believes his religious drek and also a woman who wants to be loved but he won't make love to her because of his so-called "religious convictions". Gish reminds me of my both of my grandmothers strong willed women who don't take no crap but also have a heart of gold. The story as weird as it is holds together very well, except for a messy epilogue that while visually great feels out of place.

The X-WCW a fun site for fun people.
Cyberstrike nTo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2013-02-26, 09:30 PM   #234
inflatable dalek
Duke of Kidderminster

Kidderminster UK
Smile

Skyfall. Small British film akin to Run For Your Wife.

I was actually amused a couple of weeks ago by an advert in one of the papers for holidays in Scotland that made great play of "Come see the setting of Skyfall! The home of all that fantastic scenery! Drive a hired DB5 through the Highlands and feel like Daniel Craig!" when only two scenes of the film were actually shot in Scotland, as soon as Bond drives through the gates of Skyfall he's in Surrey for the entire climax of the film...

Old 2013-02-26, 11:21 PM   #235
Summerhayes
always late to the party

Somerset, England.

Got around to picking up Skyfall on DVD last night and have it a watch with the missus. My opinion remains pretty well unchanged. A fun bond romp but nowhere near as special as people made out.

Still alive, I'm just bad at keeping up with forums.
You can read my articles and reviews at gintendo.co.uk but I wouldn't bother if I were you.
Summerhayes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2013-02-28, 07:11 AM   #236
inflatable dalek
Duke of Kidderminster

Kidderminster UK
Smile

I did like the villains performance a bit more this time, still Joker-lite but the extent to which he's completely shagged out after the explosion near the end (and his "OH shit" face when it happens) is quite nicely done.

There's some nice nuancies I didn't pick up on at the cinema as well, like how Bond is playing up how bad his aim is during the whiskey scene in order to lull those around him into a false sense of security before he kicks ass (well, and to presumably try and avoid killing someone as that's an impossible shot even for a crack marksman). Makes the seeming return of his shooting skills near the end a bit easier to swallow.

Old 2013-03-02, 09:13 AM   #237
HeavyArms
Unicron

Argo, Mulan 1 & 2, Hunchback Of Notredame 1 & 2 and Lego The Adventures Of Clutch Powers.

I hear Argo is very good and with the awards it won, it better be. Another great directorial effort by Ben Afflect.

Don't remember much about either Mulan or Hunchback Of Notredame, but I did see the first movies of each years ago and I didn't hate them and since the sequels came in the same cases as the originals, I thought why not.

I saw a little bit of Clutch Powers a couple of weeks ago on tv and I liked what I saw, also Yvonne Strahovski voices a character on it, so it can't be all bad.

Quote:
Skyquake87 Batman : Year One Rather lovely animated adaption of the acclaimed comic book storyline. Only spoilt by Bryan Cranston's rather bored and phoned in voice acting for Bruce Wayne/ Batman. Shame really, as eveyone else puts the effort in. Even Katee Sackoff in a rather thankless supporting role. Props to Eliza Dushku for her spirited performance as Selina Kyle/ Catwoman. Shame she never played in the live action films. She'd have been a good choice, I think. There's a bunch of extras too, but I haven't watched those. All in all, very pleased with the 3 this cost from barrel scraping merchants B&M.
Bryan Cranston voiced Lieutenant Gordon on Year One, Benjamin McKenzie, from The OC, does a piss poor job of voicing Batman/Bruce Wayne.

Old 2013-03-02, 02:33 PM   #238
inflatable dalek
Duke of Kidderminster

Kidderminster UK
Smile

Picked over the corpse of HMV to get the big fancy Indiana Jones Blu Ray set (Club Obi Wan matchbox! With actual matches!) for a sensible price.

Also acquired Double Indemnity, which I don't know much about but has been pimped up to me by a friend recently and I do like a bit of Noir.

And Storage 24, with Mickey Offa Doctor Who in his own spin-off.

As we don't have a theatre thread... saw We Will Rock You when I was in London. The song's and choreography were all brilliant, but the speaky bits were exactly what you'd expect from Ben Elton post-Blackadder. Bollocks. Just a lot of old man moaning about the evilz of the internet and corporate manufactured pop created as a result of Simon Cowell style talent contests.

In a show where one of the main cast (not on the night I saw it) was an X-Factor finalist. Plus is there anything more corporate and soulless than taking a popular band and lazily putting their tunes into a musical?

And is there any band that have shamelessly exploited their legacy as much as Brian May and Robert Taylor (John Deacon at least had the good sense to go "Way-hay, look at all the money I've made. I don't really need to duet with 5ive or any of that crap, time to retire with dignity intact")? Other than Macca that is.

Old 2013-03-02, 05:49 PM   #239
Auntie Slag
Satisfaction guaranteed !

Cambridge, UK
Smile

Caseless copies of Captain America, Crazy Heart and Super 8 for 99p each from Oxfam. Only wanted Crazy Heart but it seemed silly to leave the other two behind for what they were asking.

Auntie Slag is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2013-03-09, 10:31 AM   #240
HeavyArms
Unicron

Picked up Batman: The Dark Knight Returns part 2, Game Of Thrones season 2 and Taken 2 (Steelbook).

Batman: The Dark Knight Returns part 2 is the second of a two part film that is based on a highly recommended graphic novel from the 80's written by Frank Miller. It stars Peter Weller as Bruce Wayne/Batman and Ariel Winter as Robin.

A Game Of Thrones season 2 is based on the second book in the series A Song Of Ice And Fire and is highly recommended.

Taken 2 is the somewhat worse sequel to Taken, both of which star Liam Neeson, in which he as to deal with a group of Albanians.