[The Transformers Archive - an international fan site]
Please feel free to log in or register.

• transformers toys
  • transformers comics
  • transformers cartoon
  • transformers live-action movies
  • transformers fandom
  • transformers forum

Go Back   TFARCHIVE > TRANSFORMERS > Transformers Toys & Merch > Site Toy Reviews

Old 2012-09-02, 11:45 AM   #21
Cliffjumper
Cellar Door

Smile

Ratchet's got some neat work on him but 1) is irritatingly small (I think he's the smallest Deluxe so far, or he might just seem to be) and 2) the near-total lack of robot mode detail means he looks like a damn prototype. Reprolabels have you covered (DO NOT GO ARMS MICRON, THE STICKERS ARE SHIT) but that's hardly the point and basically means you're paying a Voyager price.

Cliffjumper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2012-09-02, 12:20 PM   #22
Thunderwave
Gestalt

Upstate, NY

Ratchet's biggest failing is how much "fake" kibble they use when you put him next to other deluxes. I'm assuming it's because his character design is lots of soft, round edges and his vehicle mode is a rolling box. He's so close to being a shellformer. What this means, though, is that they had to try and spread paint apps over both robot and vehicle modes separately where as for most figures there is a lot more overlap. Plus he uses huge swaths of red over white, so trying to mold parts out of red plastic isn't going to help any, sadly.

But in his base state he looks...alight. I'm planning on getting the Reprolabels for him when I place my next order with them. His daggers are indeed squishy and a pain to get into vehicle mode for "Stabby Death Ambulance" mode (Seriously, what's with the pointy stabby death options on the Prime figures?), but they fit his hands alright, or at least mine does, and they don't look terrible especially if you fold his hands in while he's holding them.

Thunderwave is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2012-09-02, 02:47 PM   #23
Cliffjumper
Cellar Door

Smile

I don't mind the daggers - no need to mount them on the ambulance because it'd look stupid even if they were made out of sterling silver, just clip them under the doors. And in robot mode I only have them as 'wrist blades' with the hands down where they seem fine - the only problem I have is there's nowhere proper to store them out of the way in robot mode; I say 'problem' but I just put them down a few inches away from Ratchet which seems to work.

Cliffjumper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2012-09-02, 03:11 PM   #24
Thunderwave
Gestalt

Upstate, NY

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cliffjumper View Post
I don't mind the daggers - no need to mount them on the ambulance because it'd look stupid even if they were made out of sterling silver, just clip them under the doors. And in robot mode I only have them as 'wrist blades' with the hands down where they seem fine - the only problem I have is there's nowhere proper to store them out of the way in robot mode; I say 'problem' but I just put them down a few inches away from Ratchet which seems to work.
Some people are obsessed with on toy accessory storage, so that can be seen as a negative to a toy. Maybe it's my upbringing on G1 toys, but I don't mind if a figure has no place good looking to store their weapons/accessories/kibble (oh how I miss G1 combiner kibble >.>). I've got a drawer full of guns, swords, cyberplanet keys, and the like. I bought a little three drawer thing like you'd see in an old woman's sewing room. Works great for keeping all the little bits and pieces in one place and gives me two other drawers to keep other small things in, and the whole thing is small and easy to move if I need to.

However Prime Soundwave doesn't need to worry about that. Laserbeak stores nicely in both modes. I'm amused though that they gave Soundwave places to plug Laserbeak in on his arms so he can perch there like in the show. Also, RID Voyager Megatron has a plugs on both arms for both his weapons. While I don't display the dagger...thing he comes with usually, the wrist plug does work nicely for Laserbeak ala G1.

Thunderwave is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2012-09-05, 12:44 PM   #25
Blackjack
Unashamed Movie Fanboy

Quote:
Originally Posted by Skyquake87 View Post
Seems you guys elsewhere in the world have a much easier time picking up the figures at retail.
Eh, I had to import from Singapore or go there to even pick up anything outside wave one, three and four of deluxes.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Warcry View Post
Seriously, it's not like this is Armada or Cybertron where you're trying to push dozens of characters at a time. Prime has, what, about a dozen characters? Maybe eighteen if you count one-shots like Cliffjumper or Skyquake? I should be able to walk into any toy store in the world and find at least one version of any given character, and the fact that I (and most others) can't is a huge failure on Hasbro's part.
Yeah. TF: Prime is one toyline in which I would collect all members of the main cast, and now? I had to order Breakdown from Japan, Knock Out and Vehicon were a big pain to hound down, Soundwave I had to get from scalpers... the only toys I brought from retail like actual toys were Wheeljack, Megatron, Cliffjumper, Starscream and crap Airachnid.

Didn't get Bumblebee, Bulkhead or Prime because the FE edition disappeared. Still hunting down Arcee and Ratchet with minimal success. Dreadwing and Skyquake haven't showed up here.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Skyquake87 View Post
Whatever is going on, i think we've now reached the point where regular consumers have no interest in another version of Bumblebee that looks the same as the last.
As the last five dozen, you mean. The first movie did have a dearth of deluxe class Bumblebees due to scalpers, but ROTF gave us about two dozen in varying size classes, the subtitle-less Transformers line gave us another dozen and the relatively small Dark of the Moon was also about 25% Bumblebee toys and merchandise.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Skyquake87
Cyberverse
Prime's Cyberverse didn't even show up around here, and even then I'm very iffy about picking up 'Commander' and 'Legion' class toys. The Legions are rather fine, I suppose, because their price difference isn't that great, but 'Commander' toys are more expensive than Scouts class toys of past, and the two I owned -- Guzzle and Hatchet -- are even smaller than most Scouts class toys I own, which seemed quite robbery for me.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cliffjumper View Post
Ratchet's got some neat work on him but 1) is irritatingly small (I think he's the smallest Deluxe so far, or he might just seem to be) and 2) the near-total lack of robot mode detail means he looks like a damn prototype.
Mmm, the size quite a shame because Ratchet should be the tallest among the deluxe class Autobots (Arcee, Bumblebee, Wheeljack), if my memory serves me right.

He does seem quite barren in pictures yes, and I've never bought Reprolabel stickers. Agree that Arm Micron stickers are shit -- those on my Breakdown are holding on fine, but they already show signs of peeling on the sides and it's less than a month of owning him.

Blackjack is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2012-09-05, 12:59 PM   #26
numbat
Legends Class

Scotland, UK

Well, it's been the usual scenario here. It's taken months for any of the Prime figures to appear, and we're swamped with one wave. The non-Bumblebee characters are flying off the shelves, leaving the yellow guy to warm the shops. We seem to have come in on Wave 2, and I'll be amazed if I see any other Waves ever now...

New sale thread added with a range of Transformers including Masterpiece, Botcon, CHUG, RID, Movies etc.

Looking for MP-11T Thundercracker and MP-9 Rodimus v2 (Takara version with as few QC issues as possible).

Check out my new sale thread now!

Also items on eBay.
numbat is offline   Reply With Quote