• transformers live-action movies
  • transformers fandom
  • transformers forum
Old 2012-10-03, 07:48 PM   #1
Clay
"I've done better and got over it."

Murray, KY
Default MP Thundercracker released

Picture taken, uploaded, and post made in-store from my phone. The future is *here*.

http://i50.photobucket.com/albums/f3...003_144321.jpg

Clay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2012-10-03, 07:53 PM   #2
inflatable dalek
Duke of Kidderminster

Kidderminster UK
Smile

That's the new, smaller scale version rather than the original Seeker Masterpiece toy right?

Is it much of an improvement? The original never really grabbed me in pictures. Mind, my disdain for the original Starscream colour scheme probably didn't help (more realistic, sure. But with so many different named and generic seekers out there you really need the Starscream colours for it to work as the G1 character).

inflatable dalek is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2012-10-03, 07:58 PM   #3
Cliffjumper
Cellar Door

Smile

**** that's sexy. The original toy colours for Thundercracker are so sharp... Is it made in the same shitty fashion as Skywarp, though?

Cliffjumper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2012-10-03, 08:05 PM   #4
Knightdramon
Primus

York, UK

Not as glossy as it appears, will be receiving mine hopefully by Friday. Once I have it in hand I'll write on how the mould is nice but the whole presentation SUCKS [generations toy artwork used, instructions of the old mould used, advertising of the old mould and so on].

dalek, he's not any smaller than the older mould. I'd say he's around 60-70 percent new tooling, the rest being older parts.

Knightdramon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2012-10-03, 08:08 PM   #5
Skyquake87
One with the Matrix

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cliffjumper View Post
**** that's sexy. The original toy colours for Thundercracker are so sharp... Is it made in the same shitty fashion as Skywarp, though?
My 20 Argos Hasbro MP Skywarp is alright - what was wrong with yours? okay he lacks the glossy paint of the Takara version, but he's pretty good.

Not sure if I'm that bothered. I only picked up Skywarp because he was going cheap ( and I like Skywarp's colours). Thundercracker has always struck me as a bit...bland.

Skyquake87 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2012-10-03, 08:28 PM   #6
Denyer
Shooty Dog Thing

UK

Yeah, the price when Argos didn't seem to know what to do with them really adds to the value, otherwise I would've skipped the seeker mould...

edit: The smaller versions are KOs aren't they?

Denyer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2012-10-03, 08:38 PM   #7
Warcry
Likes Beast Wars toys. A lot.

Winnipeg, Manitoba, Canada
Smile

I've never really seen the attraction of the Masterpiece Seekers, to be honest. The retooled version is way better than the first iteration, admittedly, but only to the point where it looks like the Classics seeker mold scaled up by 200% (instead of a laughable mess like the first one). I've already got a lovely Thundercracker that I paid around $12 for, and I really can't see myself paying six or seven times that for a bigger version of the same thing.

Warcry is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 2012-10-03, 09:13 PM   #8
Cliffjumper
Cellar Door

Smile

The finish on the Hasbro 'warp was atrocioius - the plastic isn't just flat, it's poor quality and covered in sprue burrs. That it got reduced by Argos (and that I shifted mine on at a 200% profit) is neither here nor there - a badly done toy is a badly done toy regardless of price, and if you're going to put the word 'Masterpiece' on the front of a box you don't use knock-off quality materials. I mean obviously it's a Transformers figure so there's a better than average chance sheer carelessness and corner-cutting is going to damage the end product at some point but I forget why exactly this should be acceptable.

Cliffjumper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2012-10-03, 10:36 PM   #9
Blackjack
Unashamed Movie Fanboy

I nearly got him, but the random tampographs showing 'REFLECTOR CHEEEZ' and 'SOUNDWAVE SONIC BOOM' on his tailwings and wrists put me off.

They look so tacky.

Blackjack is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 2012-10-03, 11:51 PM   #10
Skyquake87
One with the Matrix

Hmm. Maybe i got lucky with my 'warp then.i've checked him over (he's been guarding the bookshelf) and there's no burrs on mine.

I do agree that these masterpiece figures have largely turned out to be anything but.

Skyquake87 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2012-10-04, 04:43 AM   #11
Clay
"I've done better and got over it."

Murray, KY
Smile

Quote:
Originally Posted by Warcry View Post
I've never really seen the attraction of the Masterpiece Seekers, to be honest. The retooled version is way better than the first iteration, admittedly, but only to the point where it looks like the Classics seeker mold scaled up by 200% (instead of a laughable mess like the first one). I've already got a lovely Thundercracker that I paid around $12 for, and I really can't see myself paying six or seven times that for a bigger version of the same thing.
Couldn't disagree more, really. The original version of the MP mold was great to me. The fuselage splitting apart to become a kind of cape or duster was a neat update and a simple way to make the feet... work like feet, you know?

The Classics mold follows far more closely the original for the people that want that, and the alterations to the MP design made it different enough to warrant existing.

I do agree with you though that this new version of the MP Seeker mold is basically just an embiggened version of the deluxe toy, making it kind of pointless. I would like to have the Sunstorm version since they oddly never did that color scheme as the deluxe, but it's too expensive.

Clay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2012-10-04, 05:35 AM   #12
Warcry
Likes Beast Wars toys. A lot.

Winnipeg, Manitoba, Canada
Smile

Quote:
Originally Posted by Clay View Post
The Classics mold follows far more closely the original for the people that want that, and the alterations to the MP design made it different enough to warrant existing.
I'd call that a problem, not an asset. The rest of the Masterpiece line are big, flashy toys that look as much like the 80s animation models as physically possible, so I think it's fair to say that's what the goal is. And if that's what the designers set out to do, I don't think I could call the final product anything less than a failure. Not only was the first MP Starscream not the best representation possible, he was trumped by a figure half his size and 1/6 his cost before he even came out (plus the original colour scheme was a terrible choice on Takara's part).

But truth be told, it's just luck of the draw that Starscream has a perfectly-accurate G1 replica in a different size class and no one else in the MP line does. I could just as easily be saying this about Sideswipe or Rodimus or Grimlock if their Classics toys were more faithful to the original. I'll probably react the same way if they ever made a Masterpiece Cyclonus since the Universe mold (regardless of which colour scheme you prefer) already captures the original design pretty much perfectly right down to Nightstick.

Not everyone's going to agree with me obviously, and my preference for smaller figures is pretty clear (none of the G1 character models are so complex that they couldn't be faithfully captured by a smaller toy, though Soundwave has to be as big as the MP to have both the tape gimmick and the right proportions). But I just have a really hard time getting excited about a "Masterpiece" figure that's only marginally different from a Deluxe I already own.

Warcry is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 2012-10-04, 12:20 PM   #13
Knightdramon
Primus

York, UK

Going to be receiving mine tomorrow morning.

MP03 came out at a time when even takara didn't know what they were doing with the MP line. Convoy was supposed to be a one-off, then Starscream was next, but they thought they'd tap into a wider public acknowledgment if they brought in kawamori [he's a diva in japan] and passed him off as a real world jet.

Been looking at pictures of the original MP03 mould on google [gray test shot and all] and it has miniscule differences from MP11.

To be fair, MP11 *IS* the definitive Starscream figure for me, and it's much more than an upscaled Classics toy.

Newsflash: MP Black Convoy, Rumble and Buzzsaw listings also up. Convoy is without trailer, 130 USD.

Knightdramon is offline   Reply With Quote