• transformers live-action movies
  • transformers fandom
  • transformers forum

Go Back   TFARCHIVE > TRANSFORMERS > Transformers News & Rumours

Old 2013-01-01, 07:03 PM   #21
Denyer
Shooty Dog Thing

UK

I think it's more that sellers generally rely on buyers being one-stop-shoppers, whether it's eBay or Amazon. And there's a psychology of going for the cheapest used/new entry on a listing irrespective of whether searching for a few seconds will get a better price for new goods elsewhere. If there isn't much difference in price, I'd tend to go with Amazon because the buyer protection is reasonable and it's preferable to creating yet another account somewhere else.

Denyer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2013-01-01, 07:52 PM   #22
Cliffjumper
Cellar Door

Smile

I think also a lot of people probably don't really understand Marketplace and think they're getting new items from Amazon... A lot of Marketplace sellers tend to suffer on feedback for this from what I've seen.

Cliffjumper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2013-01-02, 09:01 PM   #23
inflatable dalek
Duke of Kidderminster

Kidderminster UK
Smile

It's now "Currently Unavailable" with no price attatched at all. Either they've now sold all their pre-orders or a correction is forthcoming.

inflatable dalek is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2013-01-02, 09:31 PM   #24
Cliffjumper
Cellar Door

Smile

The reviews from spastics banging on about how cheap the price is could have been a tipping point. All is not lost, however. According to Geo: -

"Amazon will fulfill refunds for giving a wrong description."

Clucking bell, that would learn them, having to refund £35 to a few dozen people (well, Transformers fans) for a ~£100 item.

Old 2013-01-02, 09:37 PM   #25
Cliffjumper
Cellar Door

Smile

Further thought: if Amazon just refund the people who have paid with some excuse along the lines of a listing error, what exactly will happen? I mean, if they're not actually allowed to (which, TBH, I'm highly skeptical about... IIRC online retail stores like bricks & mortar do have a basic right to refuse service). Are we seriously imagining people taking them to small claims or whatever, or are they more likely to just piss and bitch about it in online forums?

Or are we likely to have someone do something really hilarious like complain to the papers?

Old 2013-01-02, 11:08 PM   #26
Summerhayes
always late to the party

Somerset, England.

A Refund? Well, I'm no longer worried about missing out on pre-ordering.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cliffjumper View Post
IIRC online retail stores like bricks & mortar do have a basic right to refuse service). Are we seriously imagining people taking them to small claims or whatever, or are they more likely to just piss and bitch about it in online forums?
I'm pretty sure a refund would be entirely legitimate, Amazon are probably within their rights,

Quote:
Or are we likely to have someone do something really hilarious like complain to the papers?
I could imagine the papers kicking up a fuss if a parent mentioned it regarding promising an Optimus Prime for a kid, but if an adult fan complained because they wanted one for themselves ... I don't think society is ready to give a shit.

Summerhayes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2013-01-02, 11:33 PM   #27
Denyer
Shooty Dog Thing

UK

Invitation --> offer --> acceptance. Amazon don't take payment until they ship or give other confirmation of acceptance.

Some companies handle things better than others;
http://conversation.which.co.uk/cons...-shops-honour/

Amazon are currently in the middle of a heavily publicised sale and £35 is hard to argue as an obvious mistake when other MP products retailed in the UK for between £20-60. People who didn't load up their baskets with several have acted in better faith than scalpers.

http://www.amazon.co.uk/Blood-Stage-...7169296&sr=8-2

Got that delivered for a quid in 2009 along with the same for some other books, although it's fair to say not many other people would have noticed or cared.

Old 2013-01-02, 11:47 PM   #28
Notabot
Lutheran

Lowden, IA

I smell an online petition!!!!

Notabot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2013-01-03, 12:22 AM   #29
Cliffjumper
Cellar Door

Smile

Quote:
Originally Posted by Denyer View Post
Some companies handle things better than others;
http://conversation.which.co.uk/cons...-shops-honour/
Yeh, I know most shops will tend to honour prices as a goodwill gesture regardless of legal standing (our rule of thumb is that we honour the price for the person who notices then change the label immediately; obviously much lower value stuff; rule of thumb also goes out the window if the customer's being a twat about it either through rudeness or trying to buy ten of the item).

If this stuff was in their warehouse I think they'd be shipping and some poor sod would be losing their job. However, as it's a preorder and they're yet to receive any stock it probably gives them a lot more wriggle-room (if it was me I'd make sure that precise listing never becomes avaliable and would instead create a near-dupe for the item at the correct price; there's weirder stuff on Amazon for multiple editions of films).

As I say IIRC the bottom line is on paper no retail business is obliged to provide goods and/or services to any customer.

I do think this will depend on how much the price is wrong by. If it's meant to be £60 (which I'd say is probably minimum RRP compared with Grimlock and Roddy), they'll honour. If we're talking ~£80 (and considering the general inflation of UK TF prices we might well be) I can't see it.

Old 2013-01-03, 10:01 AM   #30
inflatable dalek
Duke of Kidderminster

Kidderminster UK
Smile

If they're going to decline peoples preorders they should start sending emails out by the start of the week.

Old 2013-01-03, 06:05 PM   #31
Denyer
Shooty Dog Thing

UK

Already cancelled them off by the looks of things, and no current Amazon listing apparent.

Old 2013-01-03, 06:06 PM   #32
Neuronutter
Gestalt

Halifax, NS

As expected the inevitable email arrived:

Hello

We’re writing to let you know that the price for the following item(s) was displayed incorrectly when you placed your order:

'Transformers Masterpiece Optimus Prime' (ASIN: B00AJJ6H0E)

Despite our best efforts, with the millions of items available on our website, pricing errors can occasionally occur.

In our Conditions of Use and Sale (see http://www.amazon.co.uk/gp/help/cust...nodeId=1040616), we state that where an item's correct price is higher than our stated price, we will, at our discretion, cancel the order and notify you of that cancellation.

Your order has now been cancelled. If you still want to purchase this item, please place a new order which will be charged at the correct price, when we dispatch it to you.

We’re sorry for any inconvenience caused and hope to see you again soon.

Warmest regards

Customer Service Department
Amazon.co.uk

Neuronutter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2013-01-03, 07:02 PM   #33
Cliffjumper
Cellar Door

Smile

Pleasantly surprised by the sanguine reactions around to be fair - nobody thus far suggesting a never-going-to-happen boycott or anything hilariously mental like that.

Old 2013-01-03, 08:11 PM   #34
Skyquake87
One with the Matrix

Doesn't come as much of a suprise,i suppose. I know i was just chancing it and was thinking it'd be a surprise to get the figure for £35.no harm,no foul

Skyquake87 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2013-01-03, 08:51 PM   #35
inflatable dalek
Duke of Kidderminster

Kidderminster UK
Smile

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cliffjumper View Post
Pleasantly surprised by the sanguine reactions around to be fair - nobody thus far suggesting a never-going-to-happen boycott or anything hilariously mental like that.
Common sense prevails, nothing wrong with chancing your arm, but considering we all knew the price was likely wrong it's hard to complain.

Or... we could punch a small child in the face to make them cry and then call up the papers to say Amazon have ruined their life?

Old 2013-01-04, 02:26 AM   #36
tahukanuva
Human After All

Tennessee, US

There's still some comedy to be had at the big board. Nothing too crazy, but there's a few people calling the ones who tried to buy the thing criminals, one dude criticising all the Transformers fans buying toys 'because won't people make fun of adults buying toys?' and whatthehell's that guy doing there anyway, and a handful of people so uptightly aghast at Amazon that you can hear their monocles cracking.

Still, no lawyers or newspapers involved yet. Though I think someone contacted Hasbro UK, who couldn't give less a shit.

tahukanuva is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2013-01-04, 10:36 AM   #37
Skyquake87
One with the Matrix

Are all the folk on the big boards excitable morons? It was clearly a pricing error by amazon, one that i have on compunction in admitting, that i was happy to take advantage of. The reactions you cite smack of sour grapes -probably those whom now realise that they needn't have paid a few hundred dollars to get a toy that is now getting a cheaper western release. I am glad i don't go on the big boards.

Skyquake87 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2013-01-04, 10:40 AM   #38
inflatable dalek
Duke of Kidderminster

Kidderminster UK
Smile

Amazon have apparently mentioned to a couple of the people who've contacted them that the correct price will be £99.

Some of the new angry reviews are rather funny (one intentionally to be fair).

Old 2013-01-04, 12:28 PM   #39
tahukanuva
Human After All

Tennessee, US

Quote:
Originally Posted by inflatable dalek View Post
Some of the new angry reviews are rather funny (one intentionally to be fair).
My favorite is the guy who thinks he single-handly got this cancelled and in doing so, saved Amazon from bankruptcy.

tahukanuva is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2013-01-04, 03:16 PM   #40
Cliffjumper
Cellar Door

Smile

YAY! Threat of boycott mentioned. Because Amazon's future hinges on two dozen nerds buying DVDs of TF4 off them in 2015.