Old Skool CITV Weekend.

Chat about stuff other than Transformers.
inflatable dalek

Old Skool CITV Weekend.

Post by inflatable dalek »

Just in case any Brits have missed it, the CITV channel is celebrating 30 years of the brand (as opposed to just children's telly on ITV) with lots of nostalgia. I suspect there's at least a few shows on here every one watched religiously, even if they were more of a posh CBBC kid (well, except for you insanely young pups like Summerhayes).

https://www.facebook.com/permalink.php? ... 4389202351

Saturday 5th January 2013

9:25am Mike and Angelo (1990)
9:50 Super Gran (second episode, 1985)
10:15 Wizadora (last episode, 1998)
10:30 T-Bag (1987)
10:50 Engie Benjy (s3, ep1, 2004)
11:05 The Raggy Dolls (1994)
11:15 Puddle Lane (1986)
11:35 Count Duckula (1991)
12:00noon The Sooty Show (1986)
12:25pm Art Attack (1992)
12:40 The Big Bang (1997)
1:00 Finders Keepers (1991)
1:30 Fun House (1994)
2:00 Knightmare (1993)
2:30 Fraggle Rock (1983)
3:00 The Worst Witch (1998)
3:30 Woof! [Eric] (first episode, 1989)
4:00 Dramarama: Blackbird Singing In The Dead of Night (1988)
4:30 Press Gang (first episode)
5:00 The Tomorrow People (1992)
5:30 Children's Ward (2000)

Sunday 6th January 2013

9:25am Mike and Angelo
9:50 Spatz (1992)
10:10 Huxley Pig
10:30 Rainbow (1984)
10:50 Button Moon (1985)
11:05 The Riddlers
11:15 Rosie and Jim (first episode, 1990)
11:35 Dangermouse (1986)
12:00noon Sooty & Co (1993)
12:25pm How 2 (1995)
12:40 Fingertips (2002)
1:00 Jungle Run (2001)
1:30 Fun House (1995)
2:00 Knightmare (1993)
2:30 Fraggle Rock (1983)
3:00 My Parents are Aliens (2005)
3:30 Woof [Rex] (1993)
4:00 Dramarama: Back to Front (1989)
4:30 Press Gang (last episode)
5:00 The Tomorrow People (1992)
5:30 Children's Ward (unknown)
I'm especially looking forward to the episodes of Woof! and Mike and Angelo (especially if it's the "Regeneration" episode between the two Angelo's).

The Tomorrow People is worth keeping an eye out for as they'll have almost certainly picked the one with Christopher Lee as the villain from his wilderness years as an actor.
REVIISITATION: THE HOLE TRUTH
STARSCREAM GOES TO PIECES IN MY LOOK AT INFILTRATION #6!
PLUS: BUY THE BOOKS!
Denyer

Post by Denyer »

Cheers for the reminder. Hoping to find download sources for this, or maybe their catch up site is recordable.

Can't think why they're running the last episode of Press Gang, though... It isn't representative at all.

The swipe keyboard added to Android recently is remarkably effective, isn't it? Or did your tablet already come with one?
inflatable dalek

Both my phone and tablet have one, but I only really use the only on the phone myself, on the larger scale it seems a bit harder to use for some reason.

Mike and Angelo was terrible sadly, and that was the original Angelo as well who I remember being better than the second one...

The sound on Supergran was really poor, Wizadora was strangely entertaining (shame it wasn't the original actress though. And the moral about how being important doesn't matter was slightly undone by George-off-George and Mildred just getting the second most important person he knew to open his shop for him when the Princess fell through).

T-Bag was probably undone by it being an episode from a middle of a serial, and seemed to be completely ad-libbed by a bunch of people on drugs. Odd they didn't go for one with the second T-Bag as well considering she's in Emmerdale now (plus in the ones from the later years T-Shirt has grown up to be about 12 foot tall, which was hilarious as his friendship with the new small girl every year looked creepier and creepier as he got older and older and taller and taller).

The pirate lesbian singing a song about how she really, really, really hates men and only wants a ship full of "Lasses" was awesome though. "Men do we need them? HA HA HA NO!".

Best not to think why she was so keen to have a juvinile Bonnie Langford clone join her crew though.
inflatable dalek

Considering CITV stars seem to have escaped the scandals that have enveloped their CBBC counterparts it's amazing how everything Pat Sharp says makes him sound like a paedophile. "Show me your boogie!".

Loved Neil Buchanan slapping the kids about on Finders Keepers though.
Denyer

Post by Denyer »

Supergran's more of a 70s feel show -- the sound's not terrible, but what's on ITV Player doesn't use stereo as we're familiar with it these days. Can't remember whether the original was mixed the same. Most of the vocals are on one channel only, with the other used for sound effects or directional sound (eg, in the theme tune at the start.)
inflatable dalek

Based on Facebook, the entire country has pretty much shut down due to everyone watching this.

It's strangely reassuring to have so many people go at once "That's not the proper Knightmare opening!".

Oddest highlight of the day has been Sooty of all things. I mean, it had Geoff Capes in it, what's not to love?

I was slightly disappointed by the episode of Fraggle Rock shown being the American version rather than the British one with Fulton Mackay doing the "Human" links. Though apparently only a few of the masters of those survive.

Indeed, I suspect the reason why a few of the long runners were represented by later episodes rather than from their "Classic" (or when Pat had the mullet) periods is that the archives of a few ITV regions are supposed to be rather barren or even non-existent due to stuff being chucked out everytime there was a merger/take over. (or in the case of one now owned by Disney, no one's allowed to look at it to find what is there).
electro girl

Post by electro girl »

I managed to catch Fun House today and it made me so happy. One of my fave shows as a kid was Rosie and Jim But I have to be out when its on so I'm gutted.

I sort of switched between CITV and CBBC seemingly at random. I know that my main reasons for prefering it were Pokemon and the fact that Goosebumps on CBBC was too scary (Did you see that ****ing haunted sponge thing?!?!).

I am unhappy that they are not rebroadcasting SMTV Live or even just segments like Chums.
-------------------------
A Chinese cartoon where the robots turn into blingwads!
Skyquake87
Protoform

Post by Skyquake87 »

Like you Electro Girl, I used to flick between CBBC and CiTV. Looking back, I seem to have watched a lot more ITV stuff than the what was on the Beeb. The only Children's BBC shows that i can bring to mind are spooky drama Moondial (nice how they used video effects to create 'night' in this) - written by Helen Cresswell whom did Woof!, Maid Marian And Her Merry Men, The Lowdown (a sort of current affairs for children with cool opening titles), Simon And The Witch, The Album (f**k knows why I remember this, probably the irritatingly catchy theme tune) and stuff that didn't air in the usual after school slot that somehow now gets lumped in with kids stuff like Sunday teatime family dramas Alice In Wonderland, The Lion The Witch And The Wardrobe and The Box Of Delights.

I haven't managed to catch any of these re-runs, but a lot of them I can recall very vividly ('Who you going to be today, Huxley Pig? oink oink/ A suitcase full of clothes/ everybody knows/ So who you going to be today, Huxley Pig? oink oink') . One thing I could never stand was bafflingly awful Children's comedies, Spatz I remember being terrible, if only because of the incongrouous American Diner setting, but I don't suppose setting it in a greasy spoon would have been the same. Mike And Angelo I thought was alright, but I really could not stand My Parents Are Aliens. A one joke sit-com that somehow trundles on to this day. Awful, eye gougingly bad stuff that made the BBC's Alonso Bonzo look like comedy gold by comparrison. I think I couldn't stand this forced sort of comedy because when CiTV got it right with things like Your Mother Wouldn't Like It (and spin off Palace Hill - a Grange Hill Spoof), Round The Bend, Gilbert's Fridge and the oddly scheduled The Whinging Pom - on on a Saturday teatime?- it made rubbish like MPAA even more unbearable because you knew they could do so much better. CiTVs crown jewel (in my eyes) has to be Sir Gadabout, which was a ridiculous comedy about a load of inept knights. A fairly modern offering (early 2000s, I think) that was the last kids show I remember thinking 'this is really good' as a grown up, before the Beebs MI: High and SJA came along... All this probably says a lot about my viewing habits and interests as a child which pretty much remain unchanged. I could never get into present day dramas like Press Gang and so on, no matter how good folk told me it was. It was just normal people talking in a room doing normal stuff, and it baffled me that this kind of thing was so popular. I like TV when its proper escapist. I think that's why I don't get the mass appeal of soaps - watching stuff based around real life seems a waste of time when you could be living it yourself, instead of through some ficitional avataars.

In terms of Saturday morning telly (sadly not represented by CiTVs retro weekend), again, CiTV got more of a look in. Number 73, Get Fresh, Motormouth (the original with the big inflatable mouth presented by Neil Buchanan, Gabby Roslin, Andy Crane and someone else possibly that also had that weird 'behind the scenes' soap/ comedy thing going on), Ghost Train being my favourites. I always had a lot of time for the BBC's Going Live! though, which until SM:TV came along, was the greatest Saturday morning kids tv...ever!

God, this is bringing back so many memories. Saturdays I used to be glued to the telly from a ridiculous hour of the morning, watching those gloriously weird Australian/ European animated shows on Channel 4, a bit of the Wide Awake Club, whatever Saturday morning fun fest was on, The ITV Chart Show (RIP) and Captain Scarlett after that ( which ITV had a fit of rerunning at the time). And then it would be off to play out! woo!
Cliffjumper

Post by Cliffjumper »

Think the only ITV stuff we ever watched was the Cosgrove Hall cartoons. The rest of it was shite, especially the long line of bad sitcoms badly imitating bad American sitcoms, usually featuring some **** with a baseball cap on backwards.

The Beeb had proper links (especially from Philip Schofield, a man so great that he could have spent the entire decade raping 12-year old girls and I'd still think he's great), better cartoons (Mysterious Cities, Willy Fogg and I think Dogtanian, plus Racoons and X-Men on weekends), Trevor & Simon, comedies that were funny (Maid Marian is one of the few kids' shows that's actually good), quality imports like Round the Twist, someone calling ASWAD "twats", the pantomime villainy of Shaun Ritchie in Run the Risk, the best ever show to never-ever-ever rewatch in Grange Hill and that shit RTD wrote no-one claimed they'd watched until he started doing Doctor Who.

I would mention Blue Peter but TBH I only ever used to half-watch in the (often fulfilled) hope that Mark Curry would injure himself. The uni-coinciding Konnie/Matt/Gethin dream-team was better than anything we had as kids.
Auntie Slag
Custom Title: Satisfaction guaranteed!

Post by Auntie Slag »

Bloody hell Skyquake, I thought I was the only one who remembered Moondial. I remember liking it because it felt quite grown up for a kids programme, and probably because I fancied the main girl in it; Minty I think her name was.

Aside from that, Johnny Briggs was a staple, as was Seaview, Jossy's Giants, Heartbeat with Tony Hart and all others mentioned above. Had a soft spot for Towser, Bertha, Mysterious Cities of Gold, Really Wild Show etc.

If we're going on this nostalgia trip, then I really miss BBC2 and Channel 4's output for kids. BBC2 had an awesome Sunday morning line-up for a while, which included Maid Marion & Her Merry Men (were these repeats from earlier in the week, or were new episodes aired on Sundays?), and Boxpops which was one of my favourites. Channel 4 had Network 7, Run the Gauntlet (kids version), The Crystal Maze, The Rough Guide and the ****ing awful POB.

BBC2 also did episodes of Jim Hensons' The Storyteller, which was fantastic and featured John Hurt with a prosthetic nose and a Sprocket-like dog!

No rose-tinted specs here though, modern kids TV... like Cliffjumper said, pisses all over our stuff. Horrible Histories being the prime example. Others include 'Sorry, I've got no head', and slightly older cartoons like Rocko's Modern Life, Cow & Chicken, Courage the Cowardly dog, Hey Arthur and so on.

But Christ, Skyquake... I swear we had identical childhood tastes according to what you've written here. Carbon copy, all the way down to the Saturday ritual and the weird European stuff. I bet you can you recite the lyrics to the Wide Awake Club too!

"It's not until you're an adult you appreciate how awesome a dog is. Your dreams start dying, somebody cheats on you, bankers f*** up your pension. Then you come home and that dog's looking at you and he's like, 'Dude, you're awesome!'” - Bill Burr

“I re-invented my image so many times that I'm in denial that I was originally an overweight Korean woman.” - David Bowie
Cliffjumper

Post by Cliffjumper »

I do hate the lazy "kids' stuff now is shit compared to what we had back in the day" crap. I mean, it's a moronic truism for a start - you enjoyed the kids' TV you saw as a kid more than the stuff you're seeing as an adult with your tastes congealed? **** a duck. Oddly my dad always reckoned the kids TV I watched was shite compared to what he watched - whodathunkit?

The whole "Child of the Eighties" manufactured nostalgia industry pisses me off, a bunch of people letting advertising executives sell their childhood back to them.
Auntie Slag
Custom Title: Satisfaction guaranteed!

Post by Auntie Slag »

I like that the live action Transformers films brilliantly subvert the lazy nostalgia side you mention. They contains some excellent references to the old cartoons and comics (wreckers, Sentinel, "One shall stand" etc), but none of these things stand in the way of the brutal and fun nature of what we see. Or the 'Rik and Ade' style farts, violence and crude sexual allusions.

Appreciation without the Justin Lee Collins school of arse.
inflatable dalek

Considering both the beeb and ITV have pretty much given up on making their own kids stuff the 80's/90's/00's (what there was) stuff is technically better by default.

Haven't had chance to see any of today's output, meaning missing Rainbow. :(

But it also means having missed Spatz, which my sister loved but I despised. :)

Of the CBBC stuff the RTD show about the waterfall was brilliantly ****ed (and indirectly responsible for the return of Doctor Who as the editing of it made him quit the beeb for good so when wanted something to get him writing for them again they needed the one vanity project he couldn't refuse). Don't really remember the school one though.

In terms of links, I was surprised Tommy Boyd only did their version of the Broom Cupboard for a couple of years at the start of the 90's. I'd have sworn he'd done it forever before being replaced by the voiceover.
Terome

Post by Terome »

As I left the country at the age of six to absorb South African children's television (which consisted of even scarier puppets and Ducktales), even the text listing of some of these shows is causing some extreme pressurised nostalgia bubbles to erupt beneath my dermis. T-Bag! I had no idea what was going on in that show and likely never will.

Also, Woof was terrifying. It was right up there with the live-action Incredible Hulk and the Sugar Puff adverts in terms of nightmares. Metamorphoses were just horrible to my young mind.

Similarly, the face-peeling-to-a-skull animation in Knightmare was too much to bear.
Cliffjumper

Post by Cliffjumper »

inflatable dalek wrote:Considering both the beeb and ITV have pretty much given up on making their own kids stuff the 80's/90's/00's (what there was) stuff is technically better by default.
So because the BBC and ITV have stopped kids' TV no longer exists? Or are we using an incredibly narrow frame of reference to guarantee a certain outcome here?

TBH, if the RTD/kids' TV thing led to the CBBC version of Who I'm seriously tempted to say it makes it even shitter. Though I'd point out that Who is an example of the BBC still making television for children - while it's pitched at a family audience a big part of the way the show's set up now is to shift merchandise to small impressionable kids.

I would certainly say most channels are better off simply importing shit American sitcoms rather than doing them themselves.

Spangles, eh?
Skyquake87
Protoform

Post by Skyquake87 »

@ Auntie Slag :) I think because of where I lived growing up was strangely isolated, I do remember watching quite a lot of telly up to around starting secondary school in 1989 (kids telly featuring a lot less after the age of 11...mostly because my shcool hours were 9 - 4.30, so by the time I got home I'd missed everything - kids today don't know how lucky they are finishing at 2:30 - 3:30 in the afternoon..!). See, I knew there was some stuff on the Beeb I watched - Johnny Briggs! What an awesome show that was. I liked that that show was about your 'everyman' in class whom had things go wrong for him all the time. Gave me hope (!) Oh! And that girl whom started every proclamation "My mum, who's a nurse..." causing her classmates to roll their eyes. I remember a slice of wedding cake made out of toothpaste and bread, Humphrey and the sister whom spent an episode going on about Angorra sweaters. Jossy's Giants. Football team shenanigans, right? Awesome theme, as I recall. And I have just remembered Gruey, whom went onto be Cracker's son. So the BBC did also do stuff that I watched. Hoorah! Ooh! And I has just remembered that Tony Robinson cartoon show that was on on a Saturday - Stay Tooned- that fillled a void after Rolf Harris f**ked off to CiTV to start up Rolf's Cartoon Club ('you can join today!' - so I did) and I always remember for featuring awesome Canadian cartoon 'The Cat Came Back'

I loved those weird early morning cartoons on C4. Sharkey And George ('The crime busters of the sea/ Sharkey And George/ clear up any mystery') , that one about the human body (educational, but not nauseatingly so), Kaboodle, Dennis, Heathcliff and Cats & Co (was that what it was called, it was the cats that lived in a junk yard cartoon that was double-billed with Heathcliff and had that alarmingly hot female cat) and loads of weird Eastern European animation that was really eerie.

...and yes, I probably can still remember the Wide Awake Club theme 'We're Wide Awake/ It's good to know you're ready/ And you're Wide Awake/ So on your marks/ And get set go!/We're Wide Awake!' . Strangely, the show got retitled as 'WAC '90' in er, 1990. And lost the theme tune and it was largely downhill from there. Although TVam getting Chris Evans and his forgotten chum to inject some life into their kids segment with 'TV Mayhem' (1991-2) was a stroke of genuis - and probably what led to him getting The Big Breakfast gig when TVam lost is broadcast license thanks to Thatchers tremendous 'competition' wheeze (that has strangely never been repeated - and was how we lost stalwarts such as Thames Television, which only survive now as production houses for a handful of programmes).

@ Cliffy, I think you're right in that kids shows are probably more sophisticated these days. The criticism about things 'not being as good as they were in my day' is down to the frame of reference changing. For instance, the appeal of Tracey Beaker is utterly lost on me. A girl growing up in a foster home whom manipulates, outright bullies and uses every trick she can to discredit others to and get her own way is a puzzling role model. Without the inner monolgue you get from Jacqueline Wilson's prose, the character comes across as a total b*tch using her unfortunate background to her advantage, which is an odd thing to show kids. You too can get your own way by being completely selfish and self absorbed!

Worse though, is the stuff that tries too hard (Spatz, MPAA). The endless witless comedies, that weird prison variety show on CBBC with a parade of slightly embarrassed struggling bands coming on every now and then.

It's a shame that Jamie Oliver pretty much destroyed CiTV overnight with his healthy eating campaign - the 'ban' on junk food advertising to children before 7pm* (or whatever) really put the nail in the coffin of a set of programming that was already on the ropes- as it was always good to have a brash, chaotic counterpart to the Beeb's more considered output. Since CiTV and CBBC transferred to digital, it feels like children's telly has fallen off the radar somewhat. Whereas in years gone by, the really really good stuff made a dent outside its demographic, nowadays that doesn't seem to happen and its just a weird stew of forgettable cheaply made programmes (a lot of factual /science based stuff on a budget of 10p seems to be the order of the day) leading imported cartoons and shows like the gloriously mental Aquabats to plug the gap our own home grown stuff should be filling. I suppose in this age of tiny audiences, the impact of multi channel broadcasting and online catch up probably makes it easier for commerical broadcasters not to bother. Both C4 and C5s children's output is largely pre-school, with nothing much on offer for anyone over the age of four.

*whilst managing to catch a re-run of Fun House (Pat making awful , awful unfunny jokes - on purpose, but just embarrasing himself!), there was an advert for McDonalds, but the focus was on the milk you can get as a drink with a Happy Meal, so is this how they get around the 'ban'? 'Look! Its healthy really! Honest!'

RE: RTD and the Beeb. Good point, and interesting that the Beeb comissioned him to come up with something to fill the void left by the premature ending to the SJA and he's come up with ...Wizards Vs Aliens, which seems a bit of a desperate throw of the dice and shamelessly populist.

I would disagree that imports are the way forward. I hate the creeping Americanisation of the world. We really are heading towards a depressing monoculture. I think the problem comes when programmers directly mimic US tropes. The most successful British tv shows are the ones that come from our own history and culture (I loved those weird Chidren's Film Foundation movies the BBC went through a phase of showing - the dead children in the mine being my favourite). RTD also did SJA as the Beeb's original pitch was for a Harry Potter style the Doctor and The Master growing up on Gallifrey and getting into scrapes - can you imagine how awful that would have been? They clearly wanted something (Totally Doctor Who being a terrible show designed purely to capitalise on Who's huge popularity), and I think the compromise was a good one. It's just a shame that as with adult telly, its not lead to more experimental kids tv, but has rather put something of a full stop on it.
Skyquake87
Protoform

Post by Skyquake87 »

...sorry for the double post.

Just re-read my last comment and the irony of saying that on a forum dedicated to a franchise that is an American thing isn't lost on me. I guess with Transformers, it was the stamp of the British creators on it that leads to a sense of ownership - and even thinking that our take was superior to the US version (something that's starting to be reflected in Dalek's excellent reviews of the old UK comic). see, it's what you do with those American standards that counts!
inflatable dalek

Cliffjumper wrote:So because the BBC and ITV have stopped kids' TV no longer exists? Or are we using an incredibly narrow frame of reference to guarantee a certain outcome here?
Just comparing like for like. I don't think it's crazy blinkered nostalgia to suggest that if the two main stations in the UK are putting almost zero effort into making children's TV (the beeb to be fair are maintaining a tokenistic presence, most obviously with the brilliant Horrible Histories) then the days where they actually had some do have a huge advantage in the comparison stakes.

I do think the raising of a white flag over children's TV by the main channels is a big mistake on their part. Arguably traditional television is an inevitably doomed medium anyway but there being no real place for them on main TV (and most digital channels only having the budget for imports) is going to accelerate the speed we're heading towards where we'll have our first generation of kids grow up without it as their primary form of entertainment provider.

Of the stuff I did see it seemed to be the things geared to the younger kids that had stood the test of time better (Sooty; Wizadora; Raggy Dolls. Though the later has a real broken Aesop going on with the idea that segregating different and disabled people from the rest of society lets them have exciting adventures. Points for having "Being French" as a valid reason for being chucked in The Reject Bin though). I don't know if that was a strength of ITV's or if my brain is just undeveloped though. I may belong in that Reject Bin with Frenchie.

Woof! Was bloody terrible.
TBH, if the RTD/kids' TV thing led to the CBBC version of Who I'm seriously tempted to say it makes it even shitter. Though I'd point out that Who is an example of the BBC still making television for children - while it's pitched at a family audience a big part of the way the show's set up now is to shift merchandise to small impressionable kids.
I'd say it (and Merlin) is definitely more in the Strictly/X-Factor side of things in trying to bring everyone in together myself. And if there really is some Evil Merchandising Mastermind behind it all they've done a terrible job this year with their "Just six episodes with heavy reuse of costumes done to death as toys, plus the already widely avaliable avaliable dinosaurs and the nebulous concept off a black featureless box" masterplan. Unless they were counting on Cowboy aand the Cherrubs carrying things alone. Were there even any Who toys out this Christmas at regular retail?
Cliffjumper

Post by Cliffjumper »

I didn't say it was a good thing; I said compared to the myriad attempts to clone the style by ITV and the BBC importing probably made more sense. And as you say Americanisation has been around as long as we have. Arguably our generation, seduced by Star Wars, Transformers, Thundercats, He-Man, GI Joe etc (don't tell me where the animation studios doing work for hire were based) into watching American cartoons, reading American comics (occasionally with stories written by British people set in America based on characters devised by Americans) and filling our homes with toys made by American companies based on American-devised companies, are the most guilty of all.

Like you say, kids' TV has simply been moved to digital. The reason we don't know as much about it anymore is because we don't watch it, though I can tell by sorting magazines in the shop I work at that the BBC have a steady stream of popular shows. It doesn't mean it doesn't exist and it doesn't mean it's not doing its' job. I'm sure when kids now hit 30 they'll have plenty of shit to banter about on "I Love the Teenies" on BBC78.

Stuff that surfs the zeitgeist tends to be more family orientated - Anderson, Who, Pixar. I'd be very, very hesitant to sit a six year old down in front of Johnny Briggs though.

I'm not entirely sure Tracy Beaker is meant to be a role model anymore than Marmalade Atkins or Tucker Jenkins were. She's meant to be entertaining, and probably is if you're the right age.

I mean, I wonder how many kids actually sat down and enjoyed Old "Skool" (nice!) CITV. Because kids' TV is like the NME. How great you think it is has nothing to do with how good it is, but entirely down to how old you are when you were watching it. Anything you watched between about 6 and 9 was great, at 10-11 it's beginning to jump the shark apart from the stuff that was live action from about 4:30 onwards, from 12 up when you're hitting puberty it's all shite. And then you go to college and uni with people from the same generation and have lazy drunken conversations where you find out that, Holy ****, you all thought Watt on Earth was great unlike the shit they make now for people half your age. Thus reinforcing that your childhood TV was a lot better than anyone else's.

Hell, this place is basically solid proof of that. We all think Transformers is great. When I got here I was about 20, and so was everyone else - 80+% of the board was 18-24. Now it's probably closer to 28-34 ten years down the line - most of whom like G1 the best. Attitudes congeal and the older you get the more likely you are to largely talk and associate with like-minded people, especially with the internet on hand.

I mean, Dalek mentions about the Old "Skool" (nice!) CITV stuff being all over facebook, and it was. From the people I went to "skool"/college/uni with and are roughly the same age as me. The ones more than 5 years older/younger? Not so much.
Skyquake87
Protoform

Post by Skyquake87 »

Given the cyclical nature of revivals/nostalgia, the lack of any enthusiasm for a 1990s revival-despite the required 20 year gap c.f. '70s retro gracing the early 1990s and '80s nostalgia in the early 2000s- points that for the time being at least,society seems done with such wholescale reselling of such things. In terms of the era, there wasn't the same kind of explosion of cultural ephemera.the biggest kids franchises of the '90s were what, power rangers and pokemon? The childrens programming of the decade is largely forgotten -even stuff like rtd's efforts were a footnote until who hit,with most folk remembering him for queer as folk. Perhaps with the decade itself being feeling both fairly recent and,culturally, being a remix (how appropriate,given the cult of the dj) of what had gone before, there's less thats unique and original from that decade to hold onto. Not that to say any of that is wrong, as its more healthy to move on from things, but does point to there being a definate sense that in terms of childhood toys and telly, the best days are behind us,despite the bbc still funding original programming. It struck me how much of the bbc's 'i love shows' had a huge focus on stuff like danger mouse, he-man, transformers that were as important to the culture of the time as other developments in society, yet by the time the 1990s rolled around, suddenly it all seemed to be much more grown up and there was a feeling that there wasn't so much of a buzz around what kids were into which persists to this day. The last toy mania of the kind that gets on the news was for zhu zhu hamsters about five years ago.coming off the back of things like cabbage patch dolls, transformers and which happened fairly frequently, that does seem to mark a decline in the patterns we grew up with.