• transformers live-action movies
  • transformers fandom
  • transformers forum

Go Back   TFARCHIVE > TRANSFORMERS > Transformers News & Rumours

Old 2013-01-25, 11:34 AM   #21
Knightdramon
Primus

York, UK

I don't know about that, I mean, I own some G1 cars [Sunstreaker, Jazz, Inferno, Ironhide] and I could definitely use some updates on these. Part of the "get them all" charisma for me is that until well into my adult life, the cartoon and the very sporadic re-runs after 1993 was the only characterization I had for them. Heck, even the techspecs for them were in a language that 5-6 year old me did not understand.

And the "technological" snob in me appreciates the articulation, twist and turns of a 2012 figures compared to a 1980 figure. The new "retro look with modern articulation" prevailing in the MP line is something I LOVE at the moment.

As for updates, I've made peace that they will never cease to come to fruition. There's a core circle of characters that will get updated looks no matter what. We've had a Classics DLX Optimus, a very good voyager, an MP before that, a robotmasters after the first MP01, a henkei voyager with much better apps than classics, a new MP 10 figure and now there's an upcoming Generations DLX or VYGR that's modeled after the IDW portrayal.

You just have to do with what's cool to you, and for me at least, these new MP figures are fantastic and somewhat affordable with their release schedule.

Knightdramon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2013-01-25, 04:14 PM   #22
inflatable dalek
Duke of Kidderminster

Kidderminster UK
Smile

I thought Sideswipe looked fine as a slightly larger Classics toy. But for the price, I'd expect something more than a slightly larger Classics toy.

inflatable dalek is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2013-01-28, 12:57 AM   #23
Clay
"I've done better and got over it."

Murray, KY
Smile

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cliffjumper View Post
I can't actually see there being too much of a Western market for the things, though. Both reissues and Alternators have shown the line just doesn't have the depth to shift more than a couple of figures of this size and price to most collectors.
I dunno, I think this may be part of an entirely uncharacteristic forward-thinking plan. 2014 won't just bring another film, but also the 30th anniversary of the whole franchise. Considering the 20th anniversary was a relatively minor blip without three major movies drawing 400 trillion dollars beforehand, the idea for adult collector oriented stuff may be to have it all fresh-and-ready as soon as people in general start to pay attention again.

To be fair to the choices for Masterpiece so far, they've been mostly smart about which molds can be sold as the most characters. A fancy Datsun mold will get more uses as more characters than Sludge would.

Clay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2013-01-28, 11:22 PM   #24
The Big Ragebowski
I'm back baby!!!!

Leeds
Default MP-19 Bluestreak

As predicted MP-19 will be Bluestreak!!!

Very excited about this one! Just need an MP Mirage, Wheeljack, Hound and Trailbreaker and I'm sorted!!

Due to arrive in September and I've just put my preorder in at an acceptable Ł99.99

I'm hoping for the black hood or the blue diaclone paint job, will be interesting to see how it turns out!

The Big Ragebowski is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2013-01-29, 12:02 AM   #25
Cliffjumper
Cellar Door

Smile

Quote:
Originally Posted by Clay View Post
I dunno, I think this may be part of an entirely uncharacteristic forward-thinking plan. 2014 won't just bring another film, but also the 30th anniversary of the whole franchise. Considering the 20th anniversary was a relatively minor blip without three major movies drawing 400 trillion dollars beforehand, the idea for adult collector oriented stuff may be to have it all fresh-and-ready as soon as people in general start to pay attention again.
I really am growing more and more skeptical as to just how cyclical Transformers or much else actually is, TBH. We've yet to have a wave of kids who grew up with Beast Wars pile in despite it being as old now as G1 was when it started gathering serious nostalgic moss; if anything, the average age of fandom seems to be increasing (similarly, Pokemon and Power Rangers haven't had large scale revivals, just continued pottering at healthy levels and largely still selling to kids rather than 20-somethings). It's a little too early to judge on UT but I genuinely don't think it or the live action films will pull in a whole new wave of fans, just a lot of people who got Transformers for a little while and then moved on. More and more evidence points to us "kids of the 80s" being a broken generation far more obsessed with material pop culture artifacts than those before or after.

The 25th Anniversary didn't seem to bring a ginormous spike in itself, at least not beyond the increase that could otherwise be attributed to a mega hit movie using the brand.

Cliffjumper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2013-01-29, 09:17 AM   #26
Summerhayes
always late to the party

Somerset, England.

I've been trying really hard to avoid looking at these Masterpieces too much. I really love these big, chunky, nice toys and I know if I look at them too much I'm gonna end up buying all of them.

Quote:
similarly, Pokemon and Power Rangers haven't had large scale revivals, just continued pottering at healthy levels and largely still selling to kids rather than 20-somethings
I've been sort of waiting for the big revival of those two, Pokémon especially. But I think it sort of happened already, without anyone noticing. The thing with Pokémon is, even more so than Transformers, it never really went away. The games continue to be some of the best sellers every time a new wave comes around, and the cartoon has just run and run. And I was talking to the dude in the shop the other week, and he says its not the kids he primarily sells it to any more; its people my age who never grew out of it.

Summerhayes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2013-01-29, 09:51 AM   #27
Skyquake87
One with the Matrix

I wonder if the continued healthy levels of sales for those two is because they don't flood the market with hundreds of characters at a time and launch 3 or 4 spin off lines in other areas as well? Perhaps that's why Transformers always seems to be boom and bust. Maybe that in itself isn't a bad thing, but the more careful and smaller scale drip feed of Prime toys is perhaps a sign that Hasbro want to aim for a more stable middle ground, even if distribution rather knackers this approach.

Skyquake87 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2013-01-29, 10:10 AM   #28
Cliffjumper
Cellar Door

Smile

Could well be; I'd hazard it could also be why TF is slowly settling down to a dozen or so core characters (Prime, Megs, Screamer, Soundwave, Bee, Bulkhead/Ironhide, Arcee, Ratchet, Shockwave); Power Rangers (DANGER! Non-expert) seems to be based around the Rangers, a Zord or two and a playset or so, which makes it nice and digestible to kids once a year.

Old 2013-01-29, 08:13 PM   #29
Summerhayes
always late to the party

Somerset, England.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Skyquake87 View Post
the more careful and smaller scale drip feed of Prime toys
Quote:
slowly settling down to a dozen or so core characters
I can see how that idea makes sense financially, but for me it kills what make the G1 line so fun; every toy was a different character, and that was the toy of that character. It made the Transformers' world seem so big and real and alive, and it made it feel more like a war and less like cops-and-robbers. It also avoided the burning shame of knowing there's a better version of your character when you can only get, say, a Legend or a Scout.

Quote:
Power Rangers (DANGER! Non-expert) seems to be based around the Rangers, a Zord or two and a playset or so, which makes it nice and digestible to kids once a year.
I haven't really been in the loop since I was a nipper, but that seems more or less like what I remember. You could hardly get any toys of the various villlains, so my Megazord used to fight whatever monster was to hand; Godzilla, a cuddly baboon, Buzz Lightyear . . .

Summerhayes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2013-01-30, 06:05 AM   #30
Warcry
Likes Beast Wars toys. A lot.

Winnipeg, Manitoba, Canada
Smile

Quote:
More and more evidence points to us "kids of the 80s" being a broken generation far more obsessed with material pop culture artifacts than those before or after.
That's an interesting observation, but I'm not sure I'd agree with it. Every generation has the same "in MY day everything was so much better" attitude about their childhood. It manifests itself in different ways, though, because what each generation did as children is so much different. My dad still loves all the stuff he used to do as a kid, but he grew up in the middle of nowhere in the 50s so his childhood revolved around shooting stuff, and wanton vehicular mayhem. He also still loves (and makes every excuse to rewatch) the cartoons that were on TV when he was a kid -- Looney Tunes, Yogi Bear, stuff like that.

Our generation, on the other hand, grew up amid a massive multimedia blitz targeted at children. Our childhoods revolved around Optimus Prime or Lion-O or Raphael the way my dad's childhood revolved around chasing rabbits with his .22-caliber rifle, and as adults we have the same fondness for it. I don't think there's anything "broken" about that, and you can see the same behaviour in every generation if you know what to look for. It's just the manifestation that's different.

I am curious what the kids who are growing up now will have to be nostalgic for, though. A lot of the stuff they're growing up loving are ephemeral stuff that only exists on a server somewhere, and there may not be any trace of it in a few years. They might wind up being the "broken generation" rather than us -- the first generation who don't have the option of revisiting their childhoods because there are no physical manifestations of it left by the time they start thinking about it again. Toys and books can last for a long time if they're cared for, but software only lives for as long as someone's got the right hardware with an OS that can run it...something that is difficult enough in the PC world a decade or more after release, let alone in the rapidly-shifting world of smartphones, tablets and iPods.

I'm very curious to see how that'll turn out. Fifteen years from now the internet might be filled with twentysomethings lamenting the fact that they can't go back and play the original Angry Birds because none of their fancy new gadgets can run it.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Summerhayes View Post
I can see how that idea makes sense financially, but for me it kills what make the G1 line so fun; every toy was a different character, and that was the toy of that character. It made the Transformers' world seem so big and real and alive, and it made it feel more like a war and less like cops-and-robbers. It also avoided the burning shame of knowing there's a better version of your character when you can only get, say, a Legend or a Scout.
Agreed. The huge universe with a myriad of characters is one of the things that made Transformers so fascinating to me as a kid. A lot of the 80s toylines had the same thing going for them, too. He-Man, G.I. Joe and TMNT at least all had a huge roster of characters. It's definitely something that's been moved away from in modern kids' stuff, though.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Summerhayes View Post
I haven't really been in the loop since I was a nipper, but that seems more or less like what I remember. You could hardly get any toys of the various villlains, so my Megazord used to fight whatever monster was to hand; Godzilla, a cuddly baboon, Buzz Lightyear . . .
I seem to remember that the original Power Rangers line had lots of random monster toys in it, but that was a long time ago. I do remember hearing comments like yours from other people in recent years, but like you I haven't paid attention to Power Rangers in a very, very long time (though my nephew loves them now, so that might change a tad).

Warcry is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 2013-01-30, 07:04 PM   #31
Denyer
Shooty Dog Thing

UK

As a generation we didn't really give much of a shit about designer trainers, tablets and phones (which have particularly rapid update cycles) weren't around, etc. Slightly more austere times in real terms, and therefore there's more predisposition to collect things that weren't an option when we were kids.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Warcry View Post
Fifteen years from now the internet might be filled with twentysomethings lamenting the fact that they can't go back and play the original Angry Birds because none of their fancy new gadgets can run it.
Maybe some more obscure things, because it'll mean cracking the files in some cases, but big titles will have curators... and it's possible to run a staggering amount of legacy software in emulation these days.

If there are a lot of EM pulses, there may be problems, although childhood media is likely to be the least area of concern.

Denyer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2013-01-30, 08:17 PM   #32
inflatable dalek
Duke of Kidderminster

Kidderminster UK
Smile

Like I said in the other thread, 80's nostalgia has absolutely nothing on the icy grip the '60's still has on British culture.

Old 2013-01-30, 08:50 PM   #33
Cliffjumper
Cellar Door

Smile

Quote:
Originally Posted by inflatable dalek View Post
Like I said in the other thread, 80's nostalgia has absolutely nothing on the icy grip the '60's still has on British culture.
And like I said in the other thread 60s nostalgia revolves around experiences, music, cinema and fashion rather than overpriced bits of plastic.

Old 2013-01-30, 09:06 PM   #34
inflatable dalek
Duke of Kidderminster

Kidderminster UK
Smile

Quote:
And like I said in the other thread 60s nostalgia revolves around experiences, music, cinema and fashion rather than overpriced bits of plastic.
But 80's nostalgia revolves around all those other things as well. We on this forum just tend to focus on the toy side of things here, for some odd reason.

I'd go as far to say that we're that representative of what most people remember fondly about the decade most, any random pub conversation is as least as likely to cover Ghostbusters or Back to the Future or Boy George: Remember what grandad thought of that? style stuff than [insert your toy of choice] things.

Old 2013-01-31, 04:25 AM   #35
Warcry
Likes Beast Wars toys. A lot.

Winnipeg, Manitoba, Canada
Smile

Quote:
Originally Posted by Denyer View Post
Maybe some more obscure things, because it'll mean cracking the files in some cases, but big titles will have curators... and it's possible to run a staggering amount of legacy software in emulation these days.
If you know what you're doing, and if you've got the time and motivation to do it, sure. But spending five hours ghetto-rigging an ancient video game to run on Windows 19 (or whatever they'll have by then)/installing a virtual machine/tracking down emulation software takes a lot more effort than going down to your parents basement and pulling out a box of old toys or plugging in the Super Nintendo.

Quote:
Pop culture is pop culture. The form that it takes and the bits that are remembered fondly vary from generation to generation, but the motivations and emotions behind it are the same. The things that are remembered the strongest from the 60s are a reflection of what was going on at the time, and the 60s were a very different time so it's no surprise that very different things are remembered. And even then, in my experience people who grew up in the 60s and 70s have nostalgia for things that are just as shallow as the children of the 80s -- I know a lot of people from that generation who spend their free time watching reruns of MASH, All in the Family, Happy Days, Maude, etc, etc...

You also need to consider that our generation (or at least those of us who grew up in the Western world) was lucky enough to grow up in a time of relative calm and serenity -- there was no civil rights unrest, no Vietnam war, no worries of nuclear annihilation...but also no moon landings, no Woodstock and in general very little that you could say was culturally transformative. The 80s and 90s were probably the most boring decades of the last century, and without any huge "watershed" moments for our generation to rally around is it really a surprise that trivial stuff makes up a bigger slice of our generational memory? The collapse of the Soviet Union was a historical anticlimax since it had been in obvious decay since before we were born and the Gulf War was over before it could make any real impact on most people, which would make 9/11 the first really big "this will change the world" moment for most of us...and we were already adults by then. I don't think many of us realize just how lucky we were to grow up in that world.

Add to that the fact that most of society looks back on 80s music and fashion as an old shame, and there's really very little left to be nostalgic about other than stuff like toys and TV.

Warcry is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 2013-01-31, 07:11 PM   #36
Denyer
Shooty Dog Thing

UK

Quote:
If you know what you're doing, and if you've got the time and motivation to do it, sure. But spending five hours ghetto-rigging an ancient video game to run on Windows 19 (or whatever they'll have by then)/installing a virtual machine/tracking down emulation software takes a lot more effort than going down to your parents basement and pulling out a box of old toys or plugging in the Super Nintendo.
It used to. These days for stuff that's popular enough there are large communities and people tend to have already done the work. There are even commercial vendors like gog.com selling titles for a few dollars. If I make it to retirement, I'll be taking up things like Planescape Torment.

Old 2013-01-31, 09:28 PM   #37
Knightdramon
Primus

York, UK

Quote:

Add to that the fact that most of society looks back on 80s music and fashion as an old shame, and there's really very little left to be nostalgic about other than stuff like toys and TV.
I have to disagree here, as 80ies fashion is laughable by our standards, but the music is not a shame at all. Rock and metal music ["pure", heavy metal, and byproducts such as thrash at the time] were never stronger. Disco and pop were never as memorable as they were in the 80ies.

I do agree that we grew up in a relatively peaceful time on these two decades, but that's for [most of] mainland Europe, USA and maybe Japan. The Balkan territory, ie what was right above Greece, suffered a great deal during the years we were peacefully growing up, and so did other middle-eastern countries.

Besides that...yay Bluestreak's added to the mix! HINTS AND RUMOURS place MP20 near the end of the year [December probably, much like Soundwave was scheduled to] and a big Decepticon. Galvatron or Megatron v2.0 anybody?

Old 2013-01-31, 10:54 PM   #38
Denyer
Shooty Dog Thing

UK

For those who've picked up the newer, smaller Convoy, there's certainly an opportunity for Takara to do a better Megs.

Old 2013-02-01, 12:56 AM   #39
numbat
Legends Class

Scotland, UK

Quote:
Originally Posted by Denyer View Post
For those who've picked up the newer, smaller Convoy, there's certainly an opportunity for Takara to do a better Megs.
Is the new smaller Convoy/Optimus better than the original Masterpiece?

numbat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2013-02-01, 07:55 PM   #40
Knightdramon
Primus

York, UK

In many ways, yes. Pretty much my only complaint with him [and that's in relation to MP01] is that due to the IDW inspired folding gimmick, his gun is a bit small.

In other words, he has a PERFECT truck mode [I know it doesn't matter to others, but mine stays in truck mode 30 percent of the time], legs have a much leaner way to transform that reduces kibble in BOTH modes, proportions are spot on in both modes, trailer and roller are fun and he's complete from the get-go. Fans may forget it, but it took takara 2-3 years to release a trailer for MP01, and even then there was no roller.

Yes, he scales better with everybody else, more fun to transform around, infinitely more stable when posing and has less gaps around in both modes.