• transformers live-action movies
  • transformers fandom
  • transformers forum

Go Back   TFARCHIVE > TRANSFORMERS > Transformers News & Rumours

Old 2013-02-10, 02:59 AM   #21
Warcry
Likes Beast Wars toys. A lot.

Winnipeg, Manitoba, Canada

Well, Metroplex certainly is a thing. I'm not sure if anyone other than full-grown fanboys will buy a two-foot pile of boxes that folds into differently shaped boxes, though, and as far as looks goes he doesn't come close to the original. Less "invulnerable fortress" and more "basketball player wearing boxes". He's uglier than the G1 toy in every mode and is too big for the added articulation to make much difference, so he's an easy miss even before considering the price tag.

Springer's vehicle modes look like Obsidian and the Batmobile were co-opted by the 80s Ninja Turtles. Heh. Probably an upgrade from the generic blocks he was in G1, but maybe not the best choice for a retro line. It looks like a good toy, but it's not an especially good Springer. It might merit a buy if it looks fun when I see it in person, but it definitely won't be an immediate must-have nostalgia buy.

I want to like Blitzwing, and I think the alt-modes turned out about as well as you could expect -- the original Blitzwing wasn't as dreadful as Broadside but his alt-modes really didn't work well together. But that robot mode...not very impressed. I don't think I've seen a Voyager-sized toy with such weak-looking articulation since Armada. Compared to Springer, it looks like he should be a Scout or something. Points for replicating the original sword and the Animated-style face-switching, but he's a pretty weak effort overall.

Trailbreaker's poorly thought out. With a colour scheme that doesn't stand out from the crowd, he's only got four real eye-catching traits to replicate: a flat, boxy chest, his behind-the-head forcefield projector, (sometimes) his missile-hand and his funky, boxy knees. This toy only has one of those, which means it really doesn't look like Trailbreaker at all. Of course, I don't actually care about Trailbreaker and this looks like a pretty neat toy on it's own merits so like Springer, I may pick it up if it catches my eye in-store.

IDWBee isn't a bad-looking toy at all, But even after intermittently having that look for a couple years in the comics it doesn't look like Bumblebee at all to me. It's a lovely-looking design, though my first thought upon seeing it was how good a Streetwise it would make.

Orion Pax might actually be the nicest-looking Classics Optimus toy they've done so far, though that says more about the competition than anything...

And then there's IDW Megatron. I hate IDW's new Megatron design. I think it's terrible, fanboyish nonsense, with almost zero visual continuity with other versions of the character and even less with the other, normal-looking Decepticons in the series. I didn't expect much from a toy that uses that for source material, but they did good. Losing the ridiculous TRON lines everywhere and smoothing over some of the design's eccentricities left Hasbro with something that actually looked like a Transformer, and from there they built a really nice robot out of it. The thing still doesn't look even a little bit like Megatron, but it's a cool Transformer and those are in short supply these days.

Last edited by Warcry; 2013-02-10 at 03:26 AM.
Warcry is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2013-02-10, 03:55 AM   #22
Kungfu Dinobot
Autobot Concubine

Former British Colony
Thumbs down more ramblings...

Generations Deluxe: Megatron is the only one I find interesting. Even then I'd rather have a G2 remake.

Gen. Voyager: Both are a thousand steps-up from the G1 toys, but neither is worth $50+

Gen. Legends: Can't give less of a shit.

Metroplex: While the Aircraft Carrier mode is a decent update for a cityformer, Metroplex looks like a bigger steroid freak than Bane. No doubt the fanboys are wanking for it though.

Beast Hunters Voyager: Shockwave and Grimwing are cool, but i'd rather Magnus be his own mold.

BH Deluxe: Skystalker's too simplistic, Dreadwing's an official knock-off of the cyberverse figure and Rachet's just a retool.

BH Cyberverse: Shockwave has a better tank mode than the voyager, but loses the transmetal alien scorpion mode. rest are meh.

BH Ultimate: I just hope Predaking has less rubber than the voyager.

Kungfu Dinobot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2013-02-10, 03:58 AM   #23
zigzagger
There ain't no Sanity Clause

Smile

No plans of picking any of these up, but I think Springer looks great. Two out of three of the modes do, anyway, and it manages to look better than Fansproject's Defendor.

Seems based on Nick Roche's LSOTW redesign, too, which is a definite plus

Quote:
Originally Posted by Warcry View Post

And then there's IDW Megatron. I hate IDW's new Megatron design. I think it's terrible, fanboyish nonsense, with almost zero visual continuity with other versions of the character and even less with the other, normal-looking Decepticons in the series. I didn't expect much from a toy that uses that for source material, but they did good. Losing the ridiculous TRON lines everywhere and smoothing over some of the design's eccentricities left Hasbro with something that actually looked like a Transformer, and from there they built a really nice robot out of it. The thing still doesn't look even a little bit like Megatron, but it's a cool Transformer and those are in short supply these days.
I've gotten use to it over time, but yeah, it doesn't immediately evoke "Megatron", as you say. It translates well in toy form, though. Sleek alt-mode, cool looking robot; I think it's one of the stronger reveals here.

Might also make for some decent repaints.

zigzagger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2013-02-10, 06:44 AM   #24
Clay
"I've done better and got over it."

Murray, KY
Red face

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cliffjumper View Post
Blitzwing is ****ing abysmal. Turns from shit custom of Blitzwing to flat pile of robot parts to blocky pile of robot parts! Buy two now, one to play, one to keep sealed! Buy the Overcharge/Sandstorm/Gearhead retools! Keep Hasbro execs in blowjobs! At least Springer wins points for being slightly better and a lot cheaper than that Warbot Defender cluster****.

Nice Trailbreaker too, because it's not just some random black 4x4 with those red and yellow stripes stuck on that might as well be ****ing Ruckus or someone. Got to watch the repaint potential! Everything that's wrong with Generations right there, complete with people going "Hay a Trailbreaker i ned one of those 4 my classix will buy!".

**** this. Over the shark we go...
I have heard of Transformers fans being persistent complainers, and I can now say, truly, we are them.

Totally right about Blitzwing, though.

Clay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2013-02-10, 07:20 AM   #25
inflatable dalek
Duke of Kidderminster

Kidderminster UK
Red face

Why does Springer's box art have a green Drift on it?

inflatable dalek is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2013-02-10, 07:56 AM   #26
Kungfu Dinobot
Autobot Concubine

Former British Colony
Talking

A couple more things:

Gen. legends Prime's cab seem to split in robot mode. Nice to see HasTak go the extra mile to give smaller toys some complexity

Grimwing's cool, but too simple for a voyager.

It seems Shockwave's treads turn into his bandolier. An interesting but illogical touch

Quote:
Originally Posted by inflatable dalek View Post
Why does Springer's box art have a green Drift on it?

Never noticed! Eventual repaint maybe?

Old 2013-02-10, 10:51 AM   #27
Skyquake87
One with the Matrix

The Generations Voyager stuff looks alright. I quite like that Springer and Blitzwing are proper Triple Changers and a massive improvement over Classics Tankor and Astrotrain. However, the actual photos of the toys vs Hasbro's tarting up in photoshop have me suspicious that these will turn out to be as hollow and disappointing as all the other FoC toys (Bruticus still makes me sad. He's so wonky).

As for the deluxes, well. Not for me. Trailbreaker is so generic looking as to be anyone and the IDW designs look as bad rendered in plastic as they do on the page. Bumblebee, in his G1 guise, just looks awkward crammed into a loose rearrangement of the movie design. I'm not really sure the world needed another Optimus toy either. I think Megatron's mould will work better for me once Hasbro get around repainting it and sticking a different head on it and telling us its someone else (as long as its not an Autobot). Again, the recent poor quality on the Generations line makes me wary of picking these up anyway.

...and that goes for Metroplex as well. Unless he's made out of the strong, dense plastics of the Unicron trilogy, I can see him being a bit of a disaster. I'm impressed that Hasbro are churning out such a massive piece, and I'm sure it will sell well, but the toy seems to lack the charm and functionality of the original. Neither of the alt modes look to work terribly well and the spindly robot mode looks like a long slab of white.

Beast Hunters. I'm actually not sure what i make of these. The actual beast robots look like Digimon characters, and I'm not much of a fan of these sort of fanciful asian dragon designs that they've gone for. Predaking - in his Ultimate scale- looks to be the only one that works the aesthetic well. As for the vehicular Transformers with their odd rocky outcrops and huge bladed wings, um, oookay. They might look better in the flesh (plastic?), but it just looks 'too much', especially on Ratchet. The jarring match of colours doesn't help. Shockwave looks okay, but has the same sort of blah alt mode as the Move version. the intermediate walking tank armoured spiky thing looks like Straxus' comic book alt mode though. I'm more impressed with the Cyberverse toys which all look really great, so if those show up I will see if I can pick some of them up. Although I have horrible feeling they'll be even more expenisve than the last lot.

I like the imagination and ingenuity of all these toys, but the aesthetics don't do the toys any favours. They all seem to look a little bit less 'Transformery' in some way too. Maybe it's because there's a little bit of the whiff of third party around the look and feel of a lot this stuff lately (especially Generations) and its the mores of the current crop of designers. Thinking about this though, the Euro designs of the early 1990s also marked a bit of departure from the earlier more robotic looks, so may be this is no bad thing.

Skyquake87 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2013-02-10, 12:04 PM   #28
Kungfu Dinobot
Autobot Concubine

Former British Colony
Wink

Quote:
Originally Posted by Skyquake87 View Post
The Generations Voyager stuff looks alright. I quite like that Springer and Blitzwing are proper Triple Changers and a massive improvement over Classics Tankor and Astrotrain. However, the actual photos of the toys vs Hasbro's tarting up in photoshop have me suspicious that these will turn out to be as hollow and disappointing as all the other FoC toys (Bruticus still makes me sad. He's so wonky).
To be honest, I find the photoshop to be less ridiculous than the DOTM ones, but yeah QC and all that.....

Quote:
As for the deluxes, well. Not for me. Trailbreaker is so generic looking as to be anyone and the IDW designs look as bad rendered in plastic as they do on the page. Bumblebee, in his G1 guise, just looks awkward crammed into a loose rearrangement of the movie design. I'm not really sure the world needed another Optimus toy either. I think Megatron's mould will work better for me once Hasbro get around repainting it and sticking a different head on it and telling us its someone else (as long as its not an Autobot). Again, the recent poor quality on the Generations line makes me wary of picking these up anyway.

Meh, the diaclone robots have mostly been a pretty generic bunch with an occasional SWAG altmode, so Trailbreaker doesn't look half-bad to me. I
*Might* have considered Bumblebee if he had and actual hood chest. Optimus is meh and I'd prefer G2 Megs.

Quote:
...and that goes for Metroplex as well. Unless he's made out of the strong, dense plastics of the Unicron trilogy, I can see him being a bit of a disaster. I'm impressed that Hasbro are churning out such a massive piece, and I'm sure it will sell well, but the toy seems to lack the charm and functionality of the original. Neither of the alt modes look to work terribly well and the spindly robot mode looks like a long slab of white.
Emgo said the beast hunters stuff is made of denser (if not UT grade) plastic, so it's possible the generations stuff will be better as well.

Quote:
Beast Hunters. I'm actually not sure what i make of these. The actual beast robots look like Digimon characters, and I'm not much of a fan of these sort of fanciful asian dragon designs that they've gone for. Predaking - in his Ultimate scale- looks to be the only one that works the aesthetic well. As for the vehicular Transformers with their odd rocky outcrops and huge bladed wings, um, oookay. They might look better in the flesh (plastic?), but it just looks 'too much', especially on Ratchet. The jarring match of colours doesn't help. Shockwave looks okay, but has the same sort of blah alt mode as the Move version. the intermediate walking tank armoured spiky thing looks like Straxus' comic book alt mode though. I'm more impressed with the Cyberverse toys which all look really great, so if those show up I will see if I can pick some of them up. Although I have horrible feeling they'll be even more expenisve than the last lot.
I *prefer* the Predacon designs to the glorified megazords Dinobots High Moon studios churned out, but YMMV, and Shockwave is no less lazy (transformation wise, anyways) than his Animated counterpart.

Quote:
I like the imagination and ingenuity of all these toys, but the aesthetics don't do the toys any favours. They all seem to look a little bit less 'Transformery' in some way too. Maybe it's because there's a little bit of the whiff of third party around the look and feel of a lot this stuff lately (especially Generations) and its the mores of the current crop of designers. Thinking about this though, the Euro designs of the early 1990s also marked a bit of departure from the earlier more robotic looks, so may be this is no bad thing.
When Animated first appeared, fanbois everywhere were swearing the
ruination of Transformers. Nowadays, only hipsters like Cliffjumper still think they sucks

Old 2013-02-10, 12:44 PM   #29
Cliffjumper
Cellar Door

It takes more than second hand jokes from TV Tropes/Waki-quoting shitbags like you to get a rise out of me.

Cliffjumper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2013-02-10, 01:29 PM   #30
Skyquake87
One with the Matrix

it's not that I'm averse from new styles and so on in Transformers, but Generations , with its FoC based designs, is really starting to look like a knock off line. It's a difficult thing to put my finger on and express, maybe it's the materials they're using and the design brief that says ' make them look a bit like their Earth modes but not' that's making me feel this way, but they just look a bit...off to me.

Skyquake87 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2013-02-10, 03:35 PM   #31
Thunderwave
Gestalt

Upstate, NY

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kungfu Dinobot View Post
Emgo said the beast hunters stuff is made of denser (if not UT grade) plastic, so it's possible the generations stuff will be better as well.
From the two I've picked up it feels a lot denser then the first wave of Generations does. The last wave of Generations, Kickback in particular, seems to be made of a more heavy duty plastic.

As for the designs...

I kinda like Blitzwing's jet mode. I have a weakness for that style jets, like the Jetfire mold. Springer is okay, and he does look a lot better then the Warbot mess. At least they actually try to get three modes into each. The Triple Changers have never looked particularly good.

Metroplex is...yea. I don't care if he's upscaled to fit with the Legends guys, the G1 mold was better. -.- The new 'plex doesn't look invulnerable. He looks like a heavy wind would blow his lanky rump over.

I do like most of the Beast Hunters stuff, though. I really dig the more "savage" look of the characters. Ratchet is a bit of a mess as is Dreadwing, but the rest don't look that bad. I appreciate that Smokescreen and Shockwave have removable Beast Hunters armor so they'll blend in either set. I also really dig the beasts. i do enjoy it when Hasbro tries something new.

Generations Deluxes as a whole are a lot of...wha? While there are a few stand outs. Orion Pax dosen't look half bad, but I'll reserve judgment until I see him in person. Megatron isn't a bad mold but it's not Megs. Trailbreaker is....meh. I was hoping for more.

Thunderwave is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2013-02-10, 03:51 PM   #32
numbat
Legends Class

Scotland, UK

Looks pretty nifty, although the combined mode does look as if it has dragons just hanging off its shoulders instead of arms...

numbat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2013-02-10, 04:25 PM   #33
Denyer
Shooty Dog Thing

UK

Drat... Springer and Blitzwing (even though the animated head seems to be optional, thankfully) are Voyagers. Not so interested in anything larger than Deluxe, it makes the engineering seem far less capable. That and non-airbrushed photos* are putting me off FoC Grimlock as well.

*eg, http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/TRANSFORME...13f8eab&_uhb=1

Megs... not without precedent as an alt-mode...

http://tfwiki.net/wiki/File:G2toy_AT...d_screamer.jpg

...although the alt-mode they've arrived at doesn't look much like a stealth bomber.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kungfu Dinobot
hipsters
Doesn't mean what you think it does. Focus on topics rather than posters, and forums will be less inclined to kick you around in the dirt.

Denyer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2013-02-10, 07:10 PM   #34
Kungfu Dinobot
Autobot Concubine

Former British Colony
Unhappy

Quote:
Originally Posted by Denyer View Post
Doesn't mean what you think it does. Focus on topics rather than posters, and forums will be less inclined to kick you around in the dirt.
What I do know is that hipsters are a bunch of self-obsessed young people trying to be "different".

Can't you people take a joke

BTW, I greatly respect CJ's force of personality and ability to not let fanboys control his opinions

Old 2013-02-10, 08:04 PM   #35
Cliffjumper
Cellar Door

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kungfu Dinobot View Post

Can't you people take a joke
I tell you not to call me out about things. You call me out about something else, what, 12 hours later?

LOL.

I don't know what drama-obsessed communities you've been kicking around here but other posters and other boards are not innate currencies of discussion here. If you're talking to me or Bowspearer or whoever, fair enough. Otherwise knock it off, kid.

Cliffjumper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2013-02-10, 08:08 PM   #36
Kungfu Dinobot
Autobot Concubine

Former British Colony
Red face

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cliffjumper View Post
I tell you not to call me out about things. You call me out about something else, what, 12 hours later?

LOL.

I don't know what drama-obsessed communities you've been kicking around here but other posters and other boards are not innate currencies of discussion here. If you're talking to me or Bowspearer or whoever, fair enough. Otherwise knock it off, kid.

Fine, I'd quit it, I'm sorry, man!

It wasn't 12 hours later like you said, there was a day or two inbetween!
But maybe I'm just bad at time, of numbers....

Old 2013-02-10, 08:38 PM   #37
Knightdramon
Primus

York, UK

Looked at pictures a bit more. Read more things. Played some FOC [which I suck ridiculously bad at].

My opinion on them is more or less the same. I'm liking DLX Orion Pax more and more each time I see him, it puts a smile on my face. He's a definite purchase.

DLX Megatron and Bumblebee have gone to a rather lower level. On one hand, they both look awesome as toys, on the other, at least one of them [Bumblebee] is ridiculously late into play. He first appeared in that body...3 years ago? He's been in his WFC body...for a bit over a year. Megatron would have greatly benefited as a voyager. No, not because bigger is better, but because this specific body is pictured to be his biggest and most powerful upgrade ever. And it's still being used in the comics.

Trailbreaker is still meh. Too little, way too late. Springer is a definite purchase from me, Blitzwing will make Astrotrain and Octane look horribly outdated.

Metroplex is a huge step forward for Hasbro though, and as expected for his size, he looks way too simplistic. 24 inches tall...it's like 2 MP1 Primes on top of the other eh? Mmmm that's big.

Knightdramon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2013-02-10, 08:50 PM   #38
numbat
Legends Class

Scotland, UK

I've managed to get my computer working again (died the other day) so have been able to look at the photos on a screen bigger than my Blackberry.

I really am liking Metroplex very much - I actually think he looks like a perfect update of the G1, upscaled with more detail and better articulation. Clearly still a brick, and the alternate modes still suck beans, but really he's still a must-have. Looks tough-as-nails, and really excites the '80s kid within me. (Although his waist looks just as spindly as the G1 version - which is where my toy broke as a kid... Will history repeat?)

Nice to see Blitzwing has both a G1 and Animated head sculpt, but I really would have bought him anyway. I love the updated design.

Bumblebee is pretty cool as a novelty, and looks well designed. Still not sold on the other Generations offerings though.

Beast Hunters are not looking as bad as they did on the Blackberry - well, the Predacons at least. I'll wait and see what Shockwave looks like without his Beast armour before deciding on him (it's removeable, am I right?). Smokescreen still looks like the only decent Autobot, and that Dreadwing is dreadful.

Anyhoo - look forward to these things beginning to hit shelves. Wonder if that will even happen in the UK at all... Not seen a new Transformer on shelves since last October (maybe Prime Voyager Dreadwing in November) or something, and still never seen FOC figures in stores in UK. Looks like stores are clearing their TFs as well - stock's dwindling, and only Cyberverse (mix of Prime and DOTM) remains in most places, with a spattering of early wave PRID Deluxes and the odd Airachnid.

numbat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2013-02-10, 09:00 PM   #39
inflatable dalek
Duke of Kidderminster

Kidderminster UK
Smile

Thinking about it, whilst- as discussed in the After AHM thread- IDW seem to have been required to promote the Generations toys even when it makes no sense (why did everyone on Cybertron in RID get a new alt mode when resources are supposed to be limited?) the amount of shilling in recent issues this reveals is actually fairly staggering.

Though it does explain why Spotlight: Orion Pax wasn't Roberts best work, "Right, we need a story bringing back the Orion Pax design we've only used once and setting up this hunt for Metroplex storyline". Two months before Springer comes back then?

inflatable dalek is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2013-02-10, 09:07 PM   #40
Kungfu Dinobot
Autobot Concubine

Former British Colony
Red face

Quote:
Originally Posted by inflatable dalek View Post
Thinking about it, whilst- as discussed in the After AHM thread- IDW seem to have been required to promote the Generations toys even when it makes no sense (why did everyone on Cybertron in RID get a new alt mode when resources are supposed to be limited?) the amount of shilling in recent issues this reveals is actually fairly staggering.

Though it does explain why Spotlight: Orion Pax wasn't Roberts best work, "Right, we need a story bringing back the Orion Pax design we've only used once and setting up this hunt for Metroplex storyline". Two months before Springer comes back then?

I dunno, ever since Shane insisted that Transformers can reformat willy nilly, comparing it to changing clothes, it seems that resources is no longer an issue.

Actually, it stopped being and issue in AHM, otherwise the Constructicons wouldn't be bloating to ridiculous proportions everytime they combine.