• transformers fandom
  • transformers forum

Go Back   TFARCHIVE > TRANSFORMERS > Transformers Media & Fandom > New Comics

Old 2013-01-10, 12:00 AM   #201
Red Dave Prime
Assistant Comic Reviewer

Ireland

Quote:
Hmm, for most of the issue it's fairly standard RID, talking about elections happening any second (a fairly moot point by this stage); Arcee being annoying; characters dying and so on.
Thats a fair assessment. And in truth, that sums up a lot of RiD of late - elections, nice minor character bit, Arcee/Prowl acting prickish, Metalhawk confused as to who to thrust and then BOOM! A big cliffhanger.

Quote:
Though I suspecting some sort of back peddling on Prowl: A cerebro shell perhaps?
This is the thing. When Prowls motives get revealed, it's kinda vital that all these twists and turns make sense upon review. Its the thing which has made MTMTE a great re-read. Whether you enjoy Roberts work, he's been very good at setting up his twists. I'm not sure if this is going to work out.

A cerebro shell would be one way, but it tends to reduce the robot under its control to a bit of a zombie so I dont believe its whats happening here.

Prowl turning to the Decepticon cause would pretty much go against his character completely and if thats the way its going then I'm going to be pretty disappointed. Although, Prowl was alone with Megatron during Police Action so it's possible that Barber may link it to that.

My other idea is that Prowl is double crossing Megatron. Its flimsy but now he has all the decepticons united and proving they're a threat, he knows the autobots and nails will unite. This leaves him with a powerful new body (probably built by shockwave) and inside the new decepticon force, able to destroy it from within. But I feel I'm grasping.

IMO Where as MTMTE is an enjoyable ride no matter how the plots end, I think Barber really needs to pull out a great 2-3 issues to conclude this arc as his issues havent been individual as much fun as Roberts.

Red Dave Prime is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2013-01-10, 10:42 AM   #202
Knightdramon
Primus

York, UK

F*cking loved it. I'll have to re-read it later though.

Ace, just ace. I still think there's a play behind all this, a twist on the twist and that Prowl just kills them all.

Or he just wants an atrocity bad enough to unite both NAILS and Autobots against the Decepticons.

I genuinely felt sorry for Starscream this issue, it finally feels as if he's the victim and not a d*ck.

And finally, finally, a RID issue cliffhanger that leaves me wanting for more, much much more.

Few stuff in the UK to trade/sell. Measly sales thread.
Knightdramon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2013-01-10, 03:11 PM   #203
Phase Sixer
Protoform

Axiom Nexus

Wow! What a issue, this is the Megatron I want to see, I have been critical of RID and skeptical, but Barber has so far come through, Im very very intrigued to see where this is headed

Prowl, where to start, some on other sites have stated that this feels forced and not Prowl, but I beg to differ, this is EXACTLY a move that this Prowl would pull, if Prowl has crossed over and gone decepticon, I will love that

Prowls actions, he has already shown in AHM coda #3, that he is willing to DECIEVE his autobot companions for the "greater good" no matter what the cost, he blows off his cover in the ongoing series to SAVE a decepticon, Prowls meeting with Megatron later in the ongoing, and to top everything off, and from what I gathered, Prowl hates that he was duped by Spike, Spike and presumably the US goverment working with decepticons the whole time the autobots where trying to help them, this is why he loathes Spike, having Prowl join up with the decepticons as part of some type of "end game" for Prowl is devilishly spot on for this Prowl, and kudos to Barber for pulling such a move

Starscream, poor Starscream, just when he seems to have everything (power) within his grasp, it all slips away, hopefully Starscream has learned a valuable lesson, when it comes to power, you can never SCHEME your way to the top, there is always somebody with a better scheme than you, THE POWER IS IN THE PEOPLE or BOTS in this case, Megatron fully understands this, Starscream does not, this is why Starscream will never unseat Megatron, Starscream is all about hisself, while Megatron rallies the PEOPLE

I loved the converstation Starscream gave to Megatron, He's trying to tell Megatron that he has it under control and this Titan showed up and said he's the choosen one, and Megatron is just there and I could just picture Megatron saying in his head, "Starscream I dont give a f*ck about what your doing or what some titan said", loved Megatron walking to the black room while Metalhawk is trying to give a speech, Megatron is walking like I dont give a f*ck about what he's saying im Megatron, this was an awesome issue

That beautiful double page spread, the only thing that I said when I saw it was, oh sh*t, somebody get Optimus er Orion Pax back to Cybertron NOW or there will be no hope, Megatron is back

Between Megatron in RID and Overlord in MTMTE, if they blow me away like this issue did, I will forgive IDW for shortening the Dead Universe plot and AHM and what was known as the Costa years, I will forgive it all

Phase Sixer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2013-01-10, 06:59 PM   #204
Terome
Indigent

Brighton

Ahahaha! That was some fine work, RID team!

Not too sure if it quite makes sense on every level but we'll see how it pans out. What are we looking at here: cerebro-shell, Pretender Megatron, straight-up defection or something else entirely?

Panel space was limited but boy oh boy did anyone else find that Bluestreak / Jetfire / Warpath dispatch to be really brutal? It was Jetfire knowing it was coming way ahead of Bluestreak, who was in denial right up to the point he had his head blown off, and Warpath, who went down fighting in the most limp and weary of ways.

Here's a line that gets me thinking - Arcee talking about Prowl's 'allies.' Presumably she knows all about who is hanging out in the Black Room. That puts her kewl rebellious attitude throughout in a different light...

Terome is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2013-01-10, 08:01 PM   #205
inflatable dalek
Duke of Kidderminster

Kidderminster UK
Smile

If Barber pulls it off so that whatever is going on with Prowl (who could also be under the influence of whatever sent the Dinobots nuts) feels like it was smartly planned out from the beginning rather than him just making it up as he goes along this could be awesome.

Of course, it doesn't matter if he has been making it up as he goes along, just as long as it doesn't feel like it.

inflatable dalek is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2013-01-10, 09:09 PM   #206
Terome
Indigent

Brighton

I agree. This is, by design, the making or breaking point of the story. Would be nice to see it accomplished - no serial is ever completely planned out and making it seem like it was is a trick I always like to admire.

Forgot about the wacky Dinobot plot. Yeah, that definitely was a thing, wasn't it? Lots of dead-ends you can get out with when 'the earth spirits made them crazy!' is set up far enough in advance.

The timing could be quite nice if Prowl really was behind Overlord being on the Lost Light.

Old 2013-01-10, 09:37 PM   #207
Red Dave Prime
Assistant Comic Reviewer

Ireland

Maybe Prowl just wants the war to start up again?

But yeah, if this pans out even remotely well then Barber deserves a bit of praise.

Old 2013-01-10, 10:05 PM   #208
Terome
Indigent

Brighton

I seem to remember an episode of Peter Pan & The Pirates where Pan kills Hook somehow and then spends quarter of an hour realising how he's robbed himself of anything to do so he uses some kind of genie or genie equivalent to wish Hook back to life again and he is happy to resume his life of eternal conflict.*

Poor Prowl!

* I especially like how this is so at odds with the book, where Hook is killed and Pan forgets about him almost immediately because he is a sociopathic little shit.

Old 2013-01-12, 06:59 PM   #209
Summerhayes
always late to the party

Somerset, England.

there are only two ways I can see this satisfyingly ending for me; either prowl is using a fake Megatron and planned all of this to unite the authors and nails in a fight they can win, wherein he does a hero but nobody but are knows, or he has genuinely defected and becomes the main viLal I n of the book (which he more or less is already)

Still alive, I'm just bad at keeping up with forums.
You can read my articles and reviews at gintendo.co.uk but I wouldn't bother if I were you.
Summerhayes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2013-01-13, 02:41 AM   #210
Red Dave Prime
Assistant Comic Reviewer

Ireland

Quote:
Originally Posted by Summerhayes View Post
there are only two ways I can see this satisfyingly ending for me; either prowl is using a fake Megatron and planned all of this to unite the authors and nails in a fight they can win, wherein he does a hero but nobody but are knows, or he has genuinely defected and becomes the main viLal I n of the book (which he more or less is already)
Option 3: Pre-decepticon Megatron wakes up with a hangover beside an equally messed up Impactor and say "Man, I've just had the weirdest dream..."

So ends the IDW Transformers saga, explaining away all the plot inconsistencies by way of Megatron having one energon shot too many...

Old 2013-02-23, 02:54 AM   #211
zigzagger
There ain't no Sanity Clause

Default Transformers: Robots In Disguise #14

Transformers: Robots In Disguise #14 preview @ Comics Alliance.

zigzagger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2013-02-23, 08:21 AM   #212
Red Dave Prime
Assistant Comic Reviewer

Ireland

Bumblebee - "That doesnt make the slightest bit of sense"

Blurr -"But its happening anyway!"

hmmmm....

I must check back on this as to what point did they figure out Megatron is working with Prowl. Was it Arcee who told? Probably. Hopefully.

Hard to judge this yet but fingers crossed it all makes sense. I do think the cover with Megatron and Prowl looks like really weird - kinda like they are some strange robot warrior couple.

Old 2013-02-23, 10:30 AM   #213
Knightdramon
Primus

York, UK

Awesome, can't wait to read more. Looks like Sideswipe and Blurr were on the rescue\investigation team; I hope Sideswipe doesn't die in the next page.

Though I'm really, really, REALLY curious as to how they'll wrap the whole Prowl matter up. Last issue he saved Wheeljack, this issue he's about to kill him? Is he triple crossing everyone? Is it an act in front of the Decepticons?

And...yay with Megatron getting a new body, shortly before his generations toy comes out!

Old 2013-02-25, 10:47 AM   #214
Terome
Indigent

Brighton

Reads a bit like it was written with the foreknowledge that a preview of about this length would exist... all of the characters are treading water establishing the zany situation. I understand that the previews are necessary but surely there are alternatives to simply presenting the first few pages if their presence is going to affect the final product?

Old 2013-02-25, 11:22 AM   #215
Knightdramon
Primus

York, UK

Raise of hands for those who remember Ongoing's #1 preview.

I personally think it's a neat trick, what they're currently doing with RID and MTMTE previews. The MTMTE ones more than often offer very, very little in the way of the more concrete story.

This RID one, for instance, just drew most major players [Metalhawk, the rogue Decepticons, Sideswipe and Blurr] in the spotlight of the "Black room". I mean, it "spoils" what's about to happen without actually even hinting what's going to happen later on.

Old 2013-02-25, 03:48 PM   #216
Summerhayes
always late to the party

Somerset, England.

This was never my favourite series, but I am genuinely excited to see what's going on here. Hopefully many of the points I thought were issues with the series will be explained, just as the high body count seems to be turning out to be some sort of red Herring.

You can read my articles and reviews at gintendo.co.uk but I wouldn't bother if I were you.
Old 2013-02-25, 04:02 PM   #217
Knightdramon
Primus

York, UK

I like to think of both MTMTE and RID as something like LOST, but separated in two comics.

MTMTE has many, many, many great character moments with a spotlight of about 10 regulars each coming back and forth in prominence.

RID, on the other hand, seems to have taken all the story and plot lines together and making you think they're not connected, but actually are.

Without spoiling anything, RID has 3 to 4 storylines concurrently spanning that seem disjointed but may very well be intertwined in ways we can't imagine. MTMTE on the other hand has 1 storyline with no point yet [the Knights] but has turned up a much, much richer sidestory regarding the conspiracy in the basement.

Old 2013-02-25, 06:51 PM   #218
Summerhayes
always late to the party

Somerset, England.

I'm definitely seeing the lost connection. In fact, didn't Roberts say as much in mtmte 1? Amusingly, I'm actually only just watching through lost properly now, on love film, and living it. I'm halfway through series 3

Old 2013-02-27, 07:44 PM   #219
inflatable dalek
Duke of Kidderminster

Kidderminster UK
Smile

Issue read, spoilers following:

Well, how the series justified the rug pulling cliffhanger was always going to be a make or break moment for me on this book, and it doesn't quite work on a couple of levels.

First, and probably the most damaging in terms of this issue worrking in its own right, is the plot basically flatlines in order to have characters exposition. Even though the explanations are actually far more simple (cerebro shells, magic combiners) than the amount of time given over to them suggests.

Secondly Prowl turns out to be entirely irrelevant despite being so central to all the build up. People talk about him (and through him) but he doesn't bring anything to the table himself.

And as well as Deviprowl looking a bit silly, wouldn't it make more sense to either keep Prowl possessed or convert a loyal Decepticon for the purpose? Because having the poor pissed of sap you've brutally mentally abused as the centre of a giant scary monster really isn't going to work out well for you is it?

Oh, and the ending was about 50000% obvious from the moment Megatron said Ironhide and the Arielbots were like, totally dead man, honest.

Ironhide's lines at the end were a bit odd as well, making it sound like they'd been watching the death and carnage to date but not bothered to do anything till now. What a git.

The big problem arc wise, is that it does feel like Barber has been making it up as he goes along, and is now jumping through hoops to make things work. I can't see this having been the intended endpoint back when Ratbat was killed. It just feels messy somehow. And haven't we had inner monolouges from Prowl since he was supposedly taken over?

And how did Bombshell manage to fake both his death and that of the Constructicons (which involved their heads exploding no less)seconds after taking Prowl over as a seemingly opportunistic move?

And what has been Arcee's motivation?

inflatable dalek is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2013-02-27, 09:59 PM   #220
Red Dave Prime
Assistant Comic Reviewer

Ireland

All of your points are bang on - but I still enjoyed this. Things are moving along at a quick pace and as long as we dont get a reset button at the end (wheeljack better stay dead) than this could work out ok.

I liked the exposition here simply because of the use of the old artwork. It tied everything together and did a nice job of showing some degree of history to the series as a whole.

Was it the best option with Prowl? Probably not - I think it was the easiest. Prowl converting to an out and out villain would have been a real shock to the status quo and the idw fan community (no bad thing) but would have needed a great explanation. Prowl being on some crazy double cross against the cons would have been a stretch too far.

I'd echo some of your faults - Ironhides comment at the end do some odd but I think they are aimed at the sign of the Decepticon Icon being raised. (but I do hope Ironhide becomes Megatrons nemesis for a while - there's pure fear and hate on Ironhides side) Prowl as the centre of the new Devastator may be more to do with Megatron looking for a "blank" transformer to take that position seeing as there are no more Constructicons.

Arcee? No, not sure where that ones going either...