The Transformers Archive Skip to main content / Also skip section headers

[The Transformers Archive - an international fan site]
Please feel free to log in or register.

 
  • transformers toys
  • transformers comics
  • transformers cartoon
  • transformers live-action movies
  • transformers fandom
  • transformers forum

Go Back   TFARCHIVE > TRANSFORMERS > Transformers News & Rumours

Reply
 
Thread Tools
Old 2013-03-19, 04:51 PM   #21
numbat
Legends Class
 
numbat's Avatar
 
Scotland, UK
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Warcry View Post
But how many people are going to shell out Masterpiece prices for Bluestreak or Smokescreen?
I'll be buying Smokescreen for sure - not interested in Prowl or a future Jazz though.

I think after Prime, Megatron and perhaps Grimlock, Soundwave and Starscream the characters people will be willing to shell out for will be extremely subjective and reflect personal attachments.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Knightdramon View Post
I for one greatly, greatly prefer MP Sideswipe to the old henkei sideswipe I had. Size is comparable in car mode, yet the complexity and size in robot mode is not. Henkei\universe Sideswipe's leg has what, 6-9 parts? MP Sideswipe's lower leg has more than that :P
I agree - although the appeal of the Henkei/Classics-style figures is very different. I do like having Sideswipe and Sunstreaker as the same mould but different robot modes - that's neat. But I'd rather have MP versions with totally different moulds reflecting G1.

Also - MP Sideswipe is actually a nice size (about Voyager), and easy to play with (while being satisfying without being particularly complexy). He's actually an easy figure to pick up off the shelf and play around with - quite a new experience for me from the MP line (MP-05 Megatron and the old MP-04 Convoy required you to set aside 30mins or so to transform...). I find the new MP-10 Convoy/Prime easier to transform than his predecessor, and MP-11 Starscream is also easy to transform (although I worry about some of his parts). Soundwave is also easy enough to play with.

So MP does not mean crazy big super complex Transformer you need to schedule time in for - the latest figures are a great balance between amazing design and actual playability.
 
numbat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2013-03-20, 05:05 PM   #22
inflatable dalek
Duke of Kidderminster
 
inflatable dalek's Avatar
 
Kidderminster UK
Smile

In theory they'd get more than enough mileage out of the main year one Autobot cars as well through repaints, I think Hound is the only one who doesn't have at least one "Proper" character reuse (though in the world of Masterpiece Acidstorm who knows what they could come up with), even Jazz has Stepper (and there's even a Masterpiece Targetmaster that could be repainted for him).

You'd probably quickly run out of people wanting all of them, but the collected number who'd individually buy Grapple, Inferno and Ehobby exclusive Artfire could well make doing most of the characters viable.

Though we're talking over a fairly lengthy time period of course.
 
inflatable dalek is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2013-03-20, 09:13 PM   #23
Jaynz
Puppy Kicker
 
Jaynz's Avatar
 
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by inflatable dalek View Post
In theory they'd get more than enough mileage out of the main year one Autobot cars as well through repaints, I think Hound is the only one who doesn't have at least one "Proper" character reuse (though in the world of Masterpiece Acidstorm who knows what they could come up with), even Jazz has Stepper (and there's even a Masterpiece Targetmaster that could be repainted for him).

You'd probably quickly run out of people wanting all of them, but the collected number who'd individually buy Grapple, Inferno and Ehobby exclusive Artfire could well make doing most of the characters viable.

Though we're talking over a fairly lengthy time period of course.
Hound has Detritus (eHobby)... and perhaps Swindle (Alternators).
 
Jaynz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2013-03-20, 09:19 PM   #24
Knightdramon
Primus
 
Knightdramon's Avatar
 
York, UK
Default

Nah, Mirage, Wheeljack and Sunstreaker also don't have ready made repaints bar some 'invisible scout' or 'police streaker' or 'red diaclone' repaints.

I do think, however, that people over at tfw2005 are going nuts over this interview and believe we'll get everything. Hopefully the line continues well into the future so we'll get more characters.

The newer MPs [from MP10 onwards] are far more playable than the old bunch. I've had various incarnations of MP01 for years, and besides a transformation here and there I rarely touched or posed them. I've been going crazy over MP10 because of all the display options and the fact that you can do more daring poses with him than his predecessor. MP Sideswipe is transformed often enough that at this rate, he'll surpass MP Rodimus as my most transformed figure. I suppose the same will be going on for Prowl and company.
 
Knightdramon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2013-03-20, 09:43 PM   #25
Warcry
Likes Beast Wars toys. A lot.
 
Warcry's Avatar
 
Winnipeg, Manitoba, Canada
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Knightdramon View Post
Nah, Mirage, Wheeljack and Sunstreaker also don't have ready made repaints bar some 'invisible scout' or 'police streaker' or 'red diaclone' repaints.
I'll agree that a lot of characters don't have any real obvious "hit" repaints. Wheeljack would probably be redecoed into Slicer, were he to get the Masterpiece treatment. But he's not even a B- or C-list character. And Mirage, Sunstreaker, Skids, Hound and Tracks would all be forced to dip into the really, really obscure end of the pool. Crasher, Alternators Dead End, Crosscut, Detritus and Road Rage aren't exactly in the same category as someone like Red Alert or Bluestreak.

They've still got a fair number of more feasible multi-use molds they could invest in before that'd be an issue, though. Jazz/Stepper, Ironhide/Ratchet, Inferno/Artfire/Grapple/Hauler and Trailbreaker/Hoist would all probably be higher on the priority list if they can work out licenses. And if they decide to dip into the Minibot assortment they'd have a bevy of other easily-repaintable toys there too. Though in-scale Masterpiece Minibots would be around Deluxe-size, wouldn't they?
 
Warcry is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2013-03-21, 02:14 AM   #26
Jaynz
Puppy Kicker
 
Jaynz's Avatar
 
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Warcry View Post
And if they decide to dip into the Minibot assortment they'd have a bevy of other easily-repaintable toys there too. Though in-scale Masterpiece Minibots would be around Deluxe-size, wouldn't they?
Trickier. While it would be true for Bumblebee, Cliffjumper, Hubcap, the rest of the minibots are a lot trickier with scale. Windcharger/Tailgate is actually a wide-bodied muscle car (forget the exact type). Huffer/Pipes would be lorries, so not exactly small there either. Brawn/Outback and Gears/Swerve would be the same size (or a little larger than) as Prowl, etc. This is to say nothing of guys like Powerglide, Warpath, Seaspray, and Cosmos!
 
Jaynz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2013-03-21, 02:19 AM   #27
Warcry
Likes Beast Wars toys. A lot.
 
Warcry's Avatar
 
Winnipeg, Manitoba, Canada
Smile

That's true, but the aim of the line would more likely be cartoon-scale than real-world-scale. The alt-modes would probably be deformed just like the originals (other than maybe Bumblebee) and the robot modes would be scaled so that they're smaller than the likes of Sideswipe or Prowl. Or at least, that's how I'd figure they'd do it.
 
Warcry is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2013-03-21, 05:03 AM   #28
Slayer-Fan123
I kill Ewoks
 
Slayer-Fan123's Avatar
 
South of Heaven
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Warcry View Post
Pretty elaborate if it's a hoax.

Cartoon fanboys have, predictably, freaked out over the yellow eyes.
Would had preferred something else over Buzzsaw, but the cassettes are overall REALLY awesome.
 
Slayer-Fan123 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2013-03-21, 09:31 AM   #29
numbat
Legends Class
 
numbat's Avatar
 
Scotland, UK
Default

As much as I'd love to see a Masterpiece Bumblebee, I think it's highly unlikely given the issues with licensing (if I recall an amazing Alternators version was designed but had to be canned because VW would not be associated with anything to do with war - I suppose that's understandable given their contribution to the German military in WWII...).

Still, here's hoping!
 
numbat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2013-03-21, 11:24 AM   #30
Addl
Matrix Keeper
 
Addl's Avatar
 
Germany
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by numbat View Post
VW would not be associated with anything to do with war - I suppose that's understandable given their contribution to the German military in WWII...).
I do hope that this stupid political correctness in my country ( to be against anything even distant related to the two world wars, as all has to be bad) will fade in time, now having passed 80 years.

There is no harm done in licensing toy cars with guns or even toy tanks.
It is not like the kids would grow up and not buying a scirocco, as this company licensed bumblebee.

Anyway they could also be proud, as engineering is always at its height in wartime and there mere fact, that these products are used by the military, even in battle, is a fact that it was the best available and had the hardest competition there is: the enemy.

Oh we'll, I do not own any MP TF, as I missed the entry and now in china have no space to stack stuff until I leave again.
But from way I read about the material quality I am not sure as to if I should start buying.

Cartoon design of the toys appeals to me, but I am not interested in a "only display" fragile item which will brake if you transform move around too much. At least for that price.

I would be willing to pay, let's say, around 300 eur for a solid MP TF with a lot of metal parts and then only stick to around my top 5 favorite.
 
Addl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2013-03-22, 09:41 AM   #31
numbat
Legends Class
 
numbat's Avatar
 
Scotland, UK
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Addl View Post
I do hope that this stupid political correctness in my country ( to be against anything even distant related to the two world wars, as all has to be bad) will fade in time, now having passed 80 years.

There is no harm done in licensing toy cars with guns or even toy tanks.
It is not like the kids would grow up and not buying a scirocco, as this company licensed bumblebee.

Anyway they could also be proud, as engineering is always at its height in wartime and there mere fact, that these products are used by the military, even in battle, is a fact that it was the best available and had the hardest competition there is: the enemy.
Absolutely. I do hate war, but I think pretending anything connected with it didn't happen is a bit weird. It's understandable that a vehicle manufacturer would be involved in developing weapons during wartime, and it's not as if the British and US equivalents have taken the same stance. But I guess it's bad for marketing to be associated with Nazis - especially when VW trade heavily on their peace-loving hippy image.
 
numbat is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply


Currently Active Users Viewing This Thread: 1 (0 members and 1 guests)
 
Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off

Forum Jump


All times are GMT. The time now is 05:41 AM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.7
Copyright ©2000 - 2017, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.
 
 
[the-hub.co.uk]
[transfans.co.uk]
[oneshallstand]
[unicron.com]
[counter-x.net]
[ntfa.net]
[allspark.com]
[transformertoys.co.uk]
[tfu.info]
[botchthecrab.com]
[obscure_tf]
[tfradio.net]
 

[TFArchive button]
Link graphics...

BOOKMARK US
Or in FF, hit Ctrl+D.