• transformers fandom
  • transformers forum

Go Back   TFARCHIVE > TRANSFORMERS > Transformers Media & Fandom > New Comics

Old 2013-04-03, 08:33 PM   #21
inflatable dalek
Duke of Kidderminster

Kidderminster UK
Smile

I'd assume any UK/European release of the toys won't have the comic, due to the trilingual requirement. Of course, that assumes as UK/European release of any sort.

Does the Trailbreaker toy look anything like he does in the issue?

inflatable dalek is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2013-04-03, 08:39 PM   #22
zigzagger
There ain't no Sanity Clause

Smile

Quote:
Originally Posted by Terome View Post
Couldn't agree more. This standard grunt just keeps getting more and more to him. A craftsman turned heretic turned criminal turned enforcer turned poster child for Autobot mercy turned black-ops heavy turned suicidal nutcase turned annoying shipmate. Who just so happened to have started the war.

Who knows what could be done to him with a whole Spotlight to explore?
I'd be content with chronicling everything you just listed in one neat little package. Obviously there'd be new stuff tossed in for good measure.

Plenty of ways that could be framed. Whirl could be telling Rung his life story, for example.

Quote:
Yeah, that bit did stand out as a reversal. Lockdown and crew were not zealots hunting down a relic, they were... poachers.
And it fits a recurring theme, at least one that I'm seeing. The Decepticons that haven't made it back to Cybertron; they're all scavengers and poachers and the like, just trying to survive.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Terome View Post
. There's a beat straight out of The Venture Bros at the end with Hoist showing up, having had his own wacky adventure.
Ha! Good call! When Hank plays detective during one episode, and Dean interns at Impossible Industries in the next, then swap stories at the conclusion...

Argh, damn it, I won't be able to unsee that now!

I'm picturing alternate-reality Rodimus arriving at the end to inform Hoist and Trailbreaker that the Lost Light had achieved its quest in his time and that Rodimus Prime: The Musical was a hit on Broadway.

zigzagger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2013-04-03, 08:45 PM   #23
Denyer
Shooty Dog Thing

UK

Quote:
Originally Posted by inflatable dalek View Post
Does the Trailbreaker toy look anything like he does in the issue?
http://www.tfw2005.com/transformers-...images-176850/

Should come out alright -- similar to how I remember the Kup spotlight version of the character, anyway, and black plastic is relatively difficult to f' up.

Keen on the Megs, particularly. Not a great toy but I like the almost-G2 homage.

Denyer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2013-04-04, 08:51 PM   #24
Auntie Slag
Satisfaction guaranteed !

Cambridge, UK
Cool

I'm going to buy it this weekend, because I can never have enough of Whirl and his Whirl-ness.

Auntie Slag is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2013-04-05, 11:23 PM   #25
inflatable dalek
Duke of Kidderminster

Kidderminster UK
Smile

Quote:
Originally Posted by Denyer View Post
When these toys were announced I mainly paid attention to... well everyone but Trailbreaker. I really don't get the moaning, as well as looking pretty nice (allowing for photoshop) he's also a big chunky guy who turns into a big chunky four by four, how is that not Trailbreaker-ey enough? Even if it were a grey scale prototype you couldn't really mistake him for anyone else.

in terms of resemblance to the character in the comic he'll be packed with, considering I don't think he's transformed to date in MTMTE (and indeed, has he transformed at all in IDW?) I'm surprised they didn't just have him turn into the same vehicle mode as the plastic rather than emulating the "Random light lines" computer game look instead.

On the way home from work today I was passed by a "Highway Maintenance" vehicle in Hoist's colours (seriously, it was like there's an insane Hoist fan in charge of car livery for Wyre Forest District Council, even the placement of the yellow matched up pretty well) that would look pretty much exactly like the toy of him we'll be getting as well.

Can I also put a bet on next month's issue being called "Hoist by his own Petard"?

inflatable dalek is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2013-04-21, 09:34 PM   #26
Auntie Slag

Cambridge, UK

Yay, finally got my copy of this through the post. Its the most enjoyable Spotlight I’ve read since Shockwave and Jazz. Funny, relatable (the amount of times I’ve had to defend a starship singlehandedly against a legion of heavily armed aliens...), very enjoyable (Whirl gives a face to the faceless).

That’s what was so great I guess; the nature of the spotlight is throwaway, which this achieves, but it also feels entirely relevant and worthwhile to sit in amongst the regular issues. That’s an excellent feat.

So well worth the money. I’m going to get Spotlight: Hoist off the back of this, because I really like the Lost Light crew and I don't want to miss the stories of what they get up to. I’ll be a happy chap if they write more Spotlights (e.g. Rung, Chromedome, Whirl).

"It's not until you're an adult you appreciate how awesome a dog is. Your dreams start dying, somebody cheats on you, bankers f*** up your pension. Then you come home and that dog's looking at you and he's like, 'Dude, you're awesome!' - Bill Burr

I re-invented my image so many times that I'm in denial that I was originally an overweight Korean woman. - David Bowie
Old 2013-04-21, 11:14 PM   #27
Death's Head
Gestalt

London

I'd be happy with a several issues worth of the characters just getting drunk and riffing.

SMITH
Portfolio | Blog | Freelance Agent Brompton Rhodes - Guns, Girls and Gorillas!
Death's Head is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2013-04-22, 09:08 PM   #28
Auntie Slag

Cambridge, UK
Cool

Oh yeah, do you remember the issue 'Eye of the Storm' from Marvel G1; the one where Grimlock goes apeshit, steals a shuttle and flits off to Hydrus 4 to find the Nucleon?

At the beginning of that issue we get the briefest of moments where everyone's relaxing, playing chess and watching Columbo... and Prime mopes around after two panels complaining to himself that everyone's getting too content and flabby! Pain in the arse leader or what?

Felt like a massive missed opportunity when he did that, as just as many interesting things happen when they're not busy biffing each other with lasers and things, as MTMTE clearly shows.

Even as a kid I always wanted to know what they got up to when they weren't fighting, just as much as I wanted characters from different years hanging out with each other because they got on, as opposed to only being associated with other toys released that year.

Old 2013-04-26, 12:55 PM   #29
Death's Head
Gestalt

London

Oh yeah! It's a sign of good writing and good characterisation when you could find yourself quite happy just watching these characters chat away. I got a similar feeling off of the Doctor/Amy/Rory trio (as written by Moffat) circa series 5-6 of the recent Doctor Who.

That's why #13 of MTMTE made me so happy, even as it frustrated others with its lack of 'action'. I mean, when else do we get to see TFs relaxing? Aside from your example, I can only think of maybe 'Out to Lunch'.

SMITH
Portfolio | Blog | Freelance Agent Brompton Rhodes - Guns, Girls and Gorillas!
Death's Head is offline   Reply With Quote