• transformers cartoon
  • transformers live-action movies
  • transformers fandom
  • transformers forum
Old 2014-10-26, 12:58 PM   #281
Knightdramon
Primus

York, UK

So Archer basically pulled a Figueroa on us --ie "I'd never do such a thing" only to come out and do it a bit later on.

I'm guessing that MMC is not doing Tarn first because they want some important ones towards the back of the queue. Same as not doing Impactor first but Commotus/Turmoil.

The DJD is one of these cases where the sum of the parts is way more important than each figure individually.

Though I am a bit disappointed at some of the things missing---where on Earth is Nova Prime? They showed us the CAD designs last August, and I've been wanting a [proper] figure of him since 2008 or so!

Not MP Megatrons...basically don't care for either. This is one of the cases where you know Takara is 100% doing it, and possibly better and cheaper.

Perfect Effect didn't have a presence there at all, did they? I'm guessing they are working on Scorponok.

I'm excited about MMC's Lockdown, which looks like an amalgamation of all his forms. Looks like he must transform into a jet or something, I'd be very surprised if they could get a car out of that.

Maketoys Tailgate is fun. I want that.

MMC's "MP" Mirage---don't care. Much like MP Megatrons---it's not a case of IF, it's a case of when for takara.

Overall I feel a bit uneasy about MMC---the time it takes from CAD to prototype to actual release is waaaaaay too long. At this point I doubt we'll see Tarn before 2016!

Knightdramon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2014-10-26, 02:25 PM   #282
Clay
"I've done better and got over it."

Murray, KY

Quote:
Originally Posted by Warcry View Post
Better than the official MP Megatron by a mile, but still awful!

I don't think it's actually possible to build a good toy of G1 Cartoon Megatron with a gun mode.
I dunno, this one seems pretty spot on. (See attached)

Quote:
Originally Posted by numbat View Post
- Not-MP-Megatron doesn't really look much better than MP-05. It just has different issues. Would be interested to see the gun mode though. Really, Takara ought to bring out a new version in scale with MP-10 - I am sure there's a market for a Destron Leader amongst the 'new' MP line...
The gun mode was in the panel presentation, toward the end. (see attached) I agree that Takara will probably bring out their own shortly after the re-release of MP5, but the question is... do we trust them to not **** it up again?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Knightdramon View Post
Though I am a bit disappointed at some of the things missing---where on Earth is Nova Prime? They showed us the CAD designs last August, and I've been wanting a [proper] figure of him since 2008 or so!
He was in their display with Feral Rex and the girlie bots. He just didn't have his wings on.

Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	TFCon-2014-3rd-Party-176_1414272612.jpg
Views:	55
Size:	157.6 KB
ID:	10434   Click image for larger version

Name:	TFCon-2014-3rd-Party-177_1414272612.jpg
Views:	60
Size:	129.4 KB
ID:	10435   Click image for larger version

Name:	TFCon-2014-3rd-Party-180_1414272612.jpg
Views:	58
Size:	98.5 KB
ID:	10436  
Clay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2014-10-26, 03:48 PM   #283
Warcry
Likes Beast Wars toys. A lot.

Winnipeg, Manitoba, Canada

Quote:
MMC's "MP" Mirage---don't care. Much like MP Megatrons---it's not a case of IF, it's a case of when for takara.
Same with the Sunstreaker that a different group showed off. I mean, really...if there's one thing in the TF catalogue that you can expect Takara to get to soon, it's the Autobot cars. I'm sure there are some fans impatient enough to pay third-party prices, but are there really enough to make a venture like this profitable?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Clay View Post
I dunno, this one seems pretty spot on. (See attached)
The gun mode has horrible proportions. It should look like this: the handle is twice as big as it should be and the barrel is too short. In robot mode, the torso is blocky like the original toy and the arms are sort of skinny, losing the imposing proportions of the character model. The fusion cannon doesn't look right, either.

All of those were problems with the official MP as well, and this design manages to improve on all of them and give him properly bulky legs. But it's still nowhere close to the "walked right off the model sheet" look that the good MPs have. I can't imagine how you'd do better, but it's still very flawed.

Warcry is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 2014-10-26, 04:46 PM   #284
Clay

Murray, KY
Smile

Quote:
Same with the Sunstreaker that a different group showed off. I mean, really...if there's one thing in the TF catalogue that you can expect Takara to get to soon, it's the Autobot cars. I'm sure there are some fans impatient enough to pay third-party prices, but are there really enough to make a venture like this profitable?
Probably. Keep in mind that third party stuff that's the size of the MP cars cost around $80 to $100, which is... about the price of the MP cars (if a little more). To me though, the more realistic criticism is that Takara have been absolutely spot on with the cars so far, so the fear that they'll horribly screw up, say, Ratchet isn't much of a concern.

Quote:
The gun mode has horrible proportions. It should look like this: the handle is twice as big as it should be and the barrel is too short. In robot mode, the torso is blocky like the original toy and the arms are sort of skinny, losing the imposing proportions of the character model. The fusion cannon doesn't look right, either.

All of those were problems with the official MP as well, and this design manages to improve on all of them and give him properly bulky legs. But it's still nowhere close to the "walked right off the model sheet" look that the good MPs have. I can't imagine how you'd do better, but it's still very flawed.
See, that's part of the problem MP5 has... it's a strict 4/3 scale model of a pistol, and the robot is horrible for it. It was also a rush job, apparently designed in 12 days or something to meet a deadline. With this third party Megatron, they lose some of the exactness of the pistol mode in favor of the robot, and it's all the better for it. For people that want a Megatron that turns into a gun and looks like Megatron, I can't see too many real complaints aside from it being illegitimate.

That's all for the sake of argument, though. The Megatron I want is the one that turns into a tank.

Old 2014-10-26, 05:30 PM   #285
Unicron
Time for plan bee-weeoop

Quote:
It was also a rush job, apparently designed in 12 days or something to meet a deadline.
Really? Never knew that before, though it would explain some things. I'd like to see what Takara's team could do if they were given proper time to work on it. I'd also like to see them pack a second Fusion Cannon/scope with it, that way there'd be one scaled for gun mode and one for robot mode.

Unicron is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2014-10-26, 07:51 PM   #286
Knightdramon
Primus

York, UK

Quote:

He was in their display with Feral Rex and the girlie bots. He just didn't have his wings on.
Yeah I saw that...thankfully at a more advanced stage since last time, since he now has some coloured plastic on...

But he was not on their upcoming releases or announcements. Which means he's still unlikely for 2015...

Old 2014-10-26, 08:49 PM   #287
inflatable dalek
Duke of Kidderminster

Kidderminster UK
Smile

The Archer/Furman thing is mildly surprising because, if nothing else, they're not going to be cheap and that's a hell of an outlay for a new company.

I can't see Skull****er staying as a name, it's going to fall foul of the auto-censor on forums (except it seems when Warcry uses it, wizard that he is) and I suspect online stores will throw some asterisks in as well when listing it, meaning people googling the product are going to have a hard time finding it.

inflatable dalek is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2014-10-26, 08:49 PM   #288
Clay

Murray, KY
Smile

Quote:
Originally Posted by Unicron View Post
Really? Never knew that before, though it would explain some things. I'd like to see what Takara's team could do if they were given proper time to work on it. I'd also like to see them pack a second Fusion Cannon/scope with it, that way there'd be one scaled for gun mode and one for robot mode.
Yep, the guy got assigned Megatron at the last minute and had to do MP4's trailer at the same time. One day for the trailer, and about 12 days for Megatron. It explains a lot, really.

Quote:
But he was not on their upcoming releases or announcements. Which means he's still unlikely for 2015...
Patience my friend. Wouldn't you rather it take longer and go through some form of quality control instead of rushing it out? It's not like they haven't been releasing other things (Feral Rex, Hexatron) in the meantime...

Old 2014-10-26, 08:54 PM   #289
inflatable dalek
Duke of Kidderminster

Kidderminster UK
Red face

So there's a reason for MP Megatron being like that, what's Rodimus' excuse?

inflatable dalek is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2014-10-26, 09:13 PM   #290
Knightdramon
Primus

York, UK

Quote:

Patience my friend. Wouldn't you rather it take longer and go through some form of quality control instead of rushing it out? It's not like they haven't been releasing other things (Feral Rex, Hexatron) in the meantime...
Yeah, but so far I think Hexatron [the first one] is the only MMC figure that came out without any delays? 4/5ths or so of Feral Rex were greatly delayed.

Still pacing like crazy :O
Quote:
Originally Posted by inflatable dalek View Post
So there's a reason for MP Megatron being like that, what's Rodimus' excuse?
Bad taste of fans

In all seriousness, as we've discussed up close in AA, he's a great figure if you get one with no manufacturing issues. My Hasbro version had its...um...220th or so transformation yesterday and it's still fine.

He remains the most poseable MP large figure by far, it's just that he's been plagued by bad QC and unfortunate build materials

Old 2014-10-26, 10:10 PM   #291
numbat
Legends Class

Scotland, UK

I love your post Clay: makes the point for patience very well!

numbat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2014-10-26, 10:40 PM   #292
Clay

Murray, KY
Smile

And here's something to be patient for: Fansprojects Monstructor! Just now noticed him at the end of the panel coverage images. Seems to be in very early stages. They may not have all of the figures in physical prototype yet, hence the partial reveal. But I wonder if the dinosaur silhouette is a tease that they're planning something for Dinoking at the same time. I guess we'll find out in 2016 or so. But at least the third party option will be cheaper than the originals...

Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	TFCon-2014-3rd-Party-266_1414272612.jpg
Views:	66
Size:	124.4 KB
ID:	10437  
Old 2014-10-26, 10:41 PM   #293
Denyer
Shooty Dog Thing

UK

Could probably go for Slog...

Denyer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2014-10-26, 11:49 PM   #294
Warcry

Quote:
Probably. Keep in mind that third party stuff that's the size of the MP cars cost around $80 to $100, which is... about the price of the MP cars (if a little more). To me though, the more realistic criticism is that Takara have been absolutely spot on with the cars so far, so the fear that they'll horribly screw up, say, Ratchet isn't much of a concern.
It's your second point that I was thinking of more than your first -- you're right that price isn't much of an issue. Most of the fandom seems content to buy the MP cars at a crazy markup from BBTS or the like instead of ordering straight from Asia, so that'll be pretty much a wash. But Takara's done a good job with the cars so far, and no matter how good it is I can't see a third-party Mirage or Sunstreaker fitting in with the official MP cars as well as a future Takara MP Mirage or Sunstreaker will. I mean, compare MP Bumblebee with all the third-party kicks at the can we've seen over the last few years. Just from looking at pics I think you can make a good argument that some of the third-party ones are actually far better-engineered than the MP (which I'm not especially impressed by), but none of them look right alongside MP Prime or Sideswipe like he does.

But you're probably right. A lot of people in this fandom have vastly more money than patience, so the 3P cars will likely sell just fine, only to be discarded like so many Warbot Defenders when something better and official comes around.

Quote:
That's all for the sake of argument, though. The Megatron I want is the one that turns into a tank.
I'm coming at it from a similar angle -- the Megatron I want is, uh, a decidedly post-Unicron variety.

Quote:
Normally I'd call that cheating, but for Megatron I don't think there's any other way to get the look right in both modes. The fusion cannon really only vaguely looks like a scope, and most of the time not much like the one he wears in gun mode.

Quote:
Originally Posted by inflatable dalek View Post
The Archer/Furman thing is mildly surprising because, if nothing else, they're not going to be cheap and that's a hell of an outlay for a new company.
I would hazard a guess that, like most startups, they're paying their talent in stock options more than cash.

Quote:
In all seriousness, as we've discussed up close in AA, he's a great figure if you get one with no manufacturing issues. My Hasbro version had its...um...220th or so transformation yesterday and it's still fine.

He remains the most poseable MP large figure by far, it's just that he's been plagued by bad QC and unfortunate build materials
I'm not so forgiving of the design as you are. The shoulder and knee breakage are QC and materials issues for sure, but there are plenty of design issues thrown in the mix as well. His hands suck, his lower legs and back don't peg together securely, the transformation into Hot Rod's car is sort of a mess, and the transformation into the Winnebago of Doom is flat-out cheating. The Hasbro versions have horrible elbows, too.

On balance I like him, but he doesn't compare well at all to Grimlock, Soundwave or MP-10 Prime.

Quote:
And here's something to be patient for: Fansprojects Monstructor! Just now noticed him at the end of the panel coverage images. Seems to be in very early stages. They may not have all of the figures in physical prototype yet, hence the partial reveal. But I wonder if the dinosaur silhouette is a tease that they're planning something for Dinoking at the same time. I guess we'll find out in 2016 or so. But at least the third party option will be cheaper than the originals...
Now...that's interesting! I'm not interested in getting the whole team, but a well-done Wildfly might be able to pry my money away.

I hope they don't make them gigantic like all the other third-party combiners out there, though. The Pretender Monsters are supposed to be pretty tiny, and even at MP scale they shouldn't be much bigger than Scouts, or a small Deluxe at the very most. Icepick shouldn't be the same size as Sideswipe.

I also hope they don't "badassify" the alt-modes too much. They won't be recognizable as the Pretender Monsters if their alt-modes aren't a bunch of weird, cubist, vaguely animal-shaped things. The one example that they show is about right, being an angry-looking block with limbs.

I'm guessing from the dinosaur tease that they're doing the shells as well?

Old 2014-10-27, 03:15 AM   #295
Clay

Murray, KY
Smile

Quote:
Most of the fandom seems content to buy the MP cars at a crazy markup from BBTS or the like instead of ordering straight from Asia, so that'll be pretty much a wash.
Yeah, but sometimes things take a massive, unexpected detour to Florida and New York City, in which case it's nice to have a chat with customer service on the same continent as you are.

Old 2014-10-27, 07:13 AM   #296
Knightdramon
Primus

York, UK

That's been revealed as Dinoking and not [yet] Monstructor, hence the shell

Old 2014-10-27, 09:04 AM   #297
numbat
Legends Class

Scotland, UK

I personally tend to order direct from Asia in most cases as it is so much cheaper. But I have had a couple of bad experiences which have been a pain to resolve. I'm erring more towards ordering from Robotkingdom in Asia and increasingly Kapow in the UK, depending on prices. Slightly more expensive than some alternative routes, but Robotkingdom have always been ace on customer service, and Kapow are convenient being UK-based.

I would use BBTS more (they have amazing customer service - second to none!). They sometimes make sense for US exclusives, but because they are importing stuff from Asia mostly, you have to pay for that on top of then importing them to the UK, which ends up being much more expensive than other options.

And I did use TFSource in the past, but they're too pricey now. (But again, they're pretty good on customer service.)

This just makes me think of how many Transformers I've received broken or otherwise damaged in the box - Hasbro and Takara really need to get their QC in order! Of course, I've had some pretty terrible QC experiences with third party stuff too - notably the Justitoys WSTs.

numbat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2014-10-27, 03:16 PM   #298
Unicron
Time for plan bee-weeoop

Quote:
Normally I'd call that cheating, but for Megatron I don't think there's any other way to get the look right in both modes. The fusion cannon really only vaguely looks like a scope, and most of the time not much like the one he wears in gun mode.
I would have been against the idea too, until I got MP Megatron. It really screamed for a second one. Something more in scale and a crapton lighter. I never exactly searched hard but I'm surprised I never saw a 3rd party replacement

Unicron is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2014-10-27, 05:55 PM   #299
Warcry

Quote:
Yeah, but sometimes things take a massive, unexpected detour to Florida and New York City, in which case it's nice to have a chat with customer service on the same continent as you are.
...touché.

Quote:
That's been revealed as Dinoking and not [yet] Monstructor, hence the shell
Boo! I'm sure they'll do both eventually, though.

Quote:
I personally tend to order direct from Asia in most cases as it is so much cheaper. But I have had a couple of bad experiences which have been a pain to resolve. I'm erring more towards ordering from Robotkingdom in Asia and increasingly Kapow in the UK, depending on prices. Slightly more expensive than some alternative routes, but Robotkingdom have always been ace on customer service, and Kapow are convenient being UK-based.
For me, when it comes to the Takara MP cars the question isn't "order from Asia or the US" so much as it is "order from Asia or not at all". As much as I like my G2 Sideswipe, the cars are cool but in no way worth the $100+ that he ended up costing after shipping, customs and exchange (that's what Grimlock cost!). I don't have much experience with buying directly from Asian sellers either, but the price differential is so wide that I'm at least willing to give it a shot. Even if it results in headaches, there'd have to be a lot of them in order to make up the price difference.

Quote:
I would use BBTS more (they have amazing customer service - second to none!). They sometimes make sense for US exclusives, but because they are importing stuff from Asia mostly, you have to pay for that on top of then importing them to the UK, which ends up being much more expensive than other options.
BBTS is great, both for their customer service and because they retail tons of other stuff aside from TFs. The exchange rate makes it hard for me to justify buying from them, though (last year I could buy stuff from them, pay to have it shipped and still save money off of Canadian retail -- nowadays I'm spending 5% or 10% more than I'd pay locally if I buy from them).

Quote:
This just makes me think of how many Transformers I've received broken or otherwise damaged in the box - Hasbro and Takara really need to get their QC in order! Of course, I've had some pretty terrible QC experiences with third party stuff too - notably the Justitoys WSTs.
Really? The only times I can remember having major problems with a TF was MP Rodimus's shoulders, and Generations Thunderwing missing a thigh swivel. I must have good luck with stuff like that.

Quote:
I would have been against the idea too, until I got MP Megatron. It really screamed for a second one. Something more in scale and a crapton lighter. I never exactly searched hard but I'm surprised I never saw a 3rd party replacement
I've never seen a replacement either, but I think there's a Shapeways part floating around that lets you mount G1 Megatron's scope on the MP. Apparently it looks a whole lot better, though I don't recall seeing pics of it.

Old 2014-10-27, 06:50 PM   #300
Knightdramon
Primus

York, UK

Onto the buying market---when and where possible, always buy from the continent the item was intended for---ie Japan for Takara figures, USA for Hasbro North American stuff.

I flat out refuse to pay 80 USD before f*cking shipping costs from the US to Europe for an MP car that only costs 60 USD shipped to the UK.

For retailers, it's a mixed bag. UK, I vastly prefer Masterforce as I like the guy, once shipped the item gets to my house the NEXT day, and he's got a good selection of 2nd hand figures as well. I used Kapow once for the exclusive MMC Black Hexatron, but generally refuse to buy from them as I really disliked how the owner personally attacked another UK retailer and called him a tax evader for basically having better prices. I mean, what the F*CK man? Though one thing I'm starting to dislike about UK retailers are these f*cking incomplete listings. "19-25 GBP non refundable preorder, final price to be determined". LOL so if your "final price" is way too rich for my blood, I've basically given you a gift 25 pounds, and committed to an item I don't know the price of?

I've really cut down on US retailers as I believe the price is not equal to the service no matter what, but generally I use BBTS. I've read of proper horror stories from TFSource customer service and generally dislike their price/service discrimination towards non USA customers. "International customers will receive a discount on their shipping for orders over 150$". How much? At least effing state that. Is it a 25-30% off? A 2% off? Such details make the difference between a "hey I'll order these" and "why bother".

Enough derailing though...cannot remember the last proper "hey wtf" I got when opening a toy in regards to QC. I'm pretty forgiven to borderline "who gives a f*ck" on things like paint overspray or thinner paint though. What I do mind are loose joints.