• transformers live-action movies
  • transformers fandom
  • transformers forum
Old 2015-08-06, 10:01 AM   #541
Clay
"I've done better and got over it."

Murray, KY
Smile

I think so. I know that they've shown their designs for Highbrow and Apeface, so Snapdragon should be in the cards too. They're just producing them sporadically.

Clay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2015-08-06, 06:43 PM   #542
Knightdramon
Primus

York, UK

I think that the implication was that the GP designer just left, not necessarily joined FT, but yes the Grimlock design art looked a bit GP-ish.

I believe that at this point FT should just take a deep breath, take one step back, and restrict themselves to just updating with proto pictures and tidbits about the designs.

Toy business should be toy business. The fandom really does not need to know insider information, inciting rivalry between companies, staff accusing other companies of copying copied designs, retailers being badmouthed [and vice-versa] and all that.

Toys should be judged on the merits of being a good toy/collectible. Pair that with an immature businessman and you can alienate your audience. As these are high-end commodities, one does not need to be pushed much to drop his/her hundred/thousands of pounds/dollars elsewhere.

Just my two cents overall.

Knightdramon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2015-08-06, 09:27 PM   #543
Thunderwave
Gestalt

Upstate, NY

Quote:
Originally Posted by Knightdramon View Post
Toy business should be toy business. The fandom really does not need to know insider information, inciting rivalry between companies, staff accusing other companies of copying copied designs, retailers being badmouthed [and vice-versa] and all that.
One of the things I learned studying business was "Never, EVER let your customers see more behind the scenes then they absolutely need to". This? This we don't need to see. It's going to end up hurting all the companies involved.

Thunderwave is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2015-08-08, 02:29 PM   #544
Clay

Murray, KY

Toyworld reveals... another Devastator

For those not counting, this is the fifth unofficial Devastator. The Seacon count is still zero.

Old 2015-08-08, 03:04 PM   #545
Brendocon 2.0
Mostly Harmless. Mostly.

UK
Red face

Very excited about ignoring that for the Unite Warriors version.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Clay View Post
The Seacon count is still zero.
But hey at least there's a Throttlebot combiner amirite?

Also Raiden would be nice.

Brendocon 2.0 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2015-08-08, 05:27 PM   #546
Hound
Married to Sadie

Henshin!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brendocon 2.0 View Post
Also Raiden would be nice.
This.

Hound is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2015-08-08, 06:14 PM   #547
Knightdramon
Primus

York, UK

Quote:
Originally Posted by Clay View Post
The Seacon count is still zero.
Don't worry, it only takes a shadowy silhouette to go from 0 to at least 3 in a matter of days.

Old 2015-08-10, 02:35 PM   #548
Brendocon 2.0
Mostly Harmless. Mostly.

UK
Smile

Haven't seen these posted before, so apologies if duplicating.

Colour images of Maketoys Gundog (Hound) now on TFSource. Two different schemes available.

http://tfsource.com/make-toys/gundog/
http://tfsource.com/make-toys/mrtm-02-sp/

Assuming the lighter green is the animation model, but prepared to be corrected on that.

Old 2015-08-10, 06:08 PM   #549
Knightdramon
Primus

York, UK

That is correct, yes. And they look pretty damn good if I might say so!

Apparently FT is/was into some sort of trouble with their original/current FT08 Grinder [Grimlock] design and were told by "retailers" that they need to change it if they want retailers to carry it, as it was too close to MP08.

This is the best f*cking sort of poetic justice if we get confirmation that it occurred after their c0ck up with Cloud 9/quakeblast.

FT also provided interesting confirmation regarding the rest of the dinos.

Scoria and Soar are the only ones getting Toy releases.
Scoria, Sever and Grinder are the only ones with G2 releases and Diaclone releases.

All are due to get an X release.

So it looks like Stomp will only have 2 releases, regular and X.

Old 2015-08-10, 10:32 PM   #550
Ryan F
hunts pandas for lolz

Will probably go Fans Toys for Hound, but Maketoys have definitely won the Reflector wars - the way they hid the lens in robot mode is such a genius bit of design.

Ryan F is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2015-08-14, 01:25 AM   #551
Clay

Murray, KY
Smile

Here's Maketoys' Rover (Streetwise) in color.

And here are prototypes of Himed (First Aid) and Katana (Blades).

They seem to be sticking very close to the style of Giant, Quantron, and M3, so I think this group is the next set for me.

Old 2015-08-15, 02:38 PM   #552
Denyer
Shooty Dog Thing

UK

DX9 are having a go at a Galvatron with Tyrant... and when I say having a go, they look to have knocked it out of the park for anyone who's a particular fan and collects in Soundwave/Quakewave/etc scale. Can't see anywhere it'd fit in the collection, personally, but I imagine it'll look very swish opposite their Carry version of Rodimus.

https://www.facebook.com/dx9toys/posts/1664548043766403

http://i.imgur.com/RIVvReQ.jpg

Denyer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2015-08-15, 06:32 PM   #553
Brendocon 2.0
Mostly Harmless. Mostly.

UK
Red face

Oooh that looks promising. Will have to wait and see what colour scheme they go with.

Might wait for some people I trust to get their mits on it first, too. DX9's Astrotrain is nice but completely the wrong size for its engineering, while I like my Invisible but I'm not sure I like him enough to not swap him out for MMC's Sphinx when it comes along.

Old 2015-08-15, 06:38 PM   #554
numbat
Legends Class

Scotland, UK

Looks pretty cool, but not sure I need a masterpiece Galvatron.

numbat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2015-08-15, 06:59 PM   #555
Denyer
Shooty Dog Thing

UK

Mmm. Nice to have options, but it's like MP Magnus or that MP scale Blaster that KFC did... a pretty perfect recreation of a to-me-was-also-there type character I'm not fussed about a huge representation of. Whereas the original Dinobot toys are much loved due to 4/5 of them being amongst the first things I collected via eBay before the movies made everyone clear out their attics.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brendocon 2.0
I like my Invisible but I'm not sure I like him enough to not swap him out for MMC's Sphinx when it comes along.
It's got the cartoon/Marvel model down well. Horses for courses; Invisible captures the feel of the original toy for my taste.

http://i.imgur.com/cnTOzti.jpg

edit:
Quote:
DX9's Astrotrain is nice but completely the wrong size for its engineering
There is a bit of that, in the sense that people probably do play with the sliders in CAD packages late in the process, but he'd be handle-with-care regardless with all of those panels.

Old 2015-08-15, 07:14 PM   #556
Denyer
Shooty Dog Thing

UK

XTB seem to have just broken cover on a Galvatron homage as well...

http://539designs.deviantart.com/art...ddon-553904625

Also an Inferno...

http://539designs.deviantart.com/art...view-553901562

I'd like a good Inferno (blame the UK comic) but it'd have to be Voyager or only a bit bigger and there's one of those already even if he is a bit more square.

Old 2015-08-15, 07:34 PM   #557
Brendocon 2.0
Mostly Harmless. Mostly.

UK
Smile

I did actually expect the DX9 Galvy picture to be from X-Transbots until I read the post, given that they're in the process of doing Scourge and Cyclonus. Not surprising that they'd wheel out the other one as the next in sequence.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Denyer View Post
It's got the cartoon/Marvel model down well. Horses for courses; Invisible captures the feel of the original toy for my taste.
Mine seems determined to fall over backwards all the time, which isn't really helping its cause. Unless I'm just not noticing some flip-out heel support.

I've got very little attachment to the toy designs of most of the Autobot cars (hence my bewilderment at so many people opting for the pimp-daddy crazy-faced MP Bumblebee). One thing I've learnt from having some time semi-unplugged from the fandom/media is that (preference for comic characterisations aside), the Sunbow animation models are my default expectation for what everybody should look like*. If somebody can deliver those in a way that doesn't fall apart in a stiff breeze, I'll be opting for it 95% of the time.

As you say, horses for courses.

* Well, for the season 1-3 characters anyway. And excluding Rumble, obviously.

Old 2015-08-15, 08:19 PM   #558
Cliffjumper
Cellar Door

Smile

I love my Invisible... but I just can't justify third party prices on the whole, not while there's still a chance Takara will get there; I went for Invisible because after MP Smokescreen I don't trust T-T to not **** with MP Mirage and put Ichikawa's face on it or some such shit on it.

That Hound is damn tasty, mind. TBH my favourite models for most though would - don't laugh - be the Dreamwave stuff, where the animation models were blended with the toys' details and richer colours.

Cliffjumper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2015-08-16, 09:56 AM   #559
Knightdramon
Primus

York, UK

X-Transbots also showed an Inferno render and a Galvatron render.

Just a hunch, but anybody that wants a Galvatron might as well hold on a little bit longer. Movie's 30th anniversary is just coming up, didn't we get Rodimus on the 25th?

For Galvatron I might double dip, if they do both gray and purple version. To this day I can't decide which one I like more.

All of maketoys MP offerings look great, Chromedome and Reflector have got nothing but ace reviews. Looking forward to their Starscream.

Old 2015-08-18, 12:58 PM   #560
Ryan F
hunts pandas for lolz

Quote:
Originally Posted by Knightdramon View Post
All of maketoys MP offerings look great, Chromedome and Reflector have got nothing but ace reviews. Looking forward to their Starscream.
I can personally vouch for the Reflector - it's really very good indeed.

Ryan F is offline   Reply With Quote