• transformers live-action movies
  • transformers fandom
  • transformers forum
Old 2014-02-02, 08:45 PM   #121
Denyer
Shooty Dog Thing

UK
Thumbs up

Mmm. Would prefer the toy colours, but works for me.

http://i.imgur.com/9JE7ilN.jpg

Denyer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2014-02-23, 04:43 PM   #122
Clay
"I've done better and got over it."

Murray, KY

Third party Dinobot Snarl:

http://www.tfw2005.com/transformers-...-snarl-179362/

Dinobots! Dinobots everywhere!

Also, Maketoys Not-Swerve and Not-Gears and, by popular request, my first blaster.

Clay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2014-02-23, 05:04 PM   #123
Warcry
Likes Beast Wars toys. A lot.

Winnipeg, Manitoba, Canada

Not the best timing for Swerve and Gears, it has to be said...

Warcry is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 2014-02-23, 07:36 PM   #124
Blackjack
Unashamed Movie Fanboy

That My First Blaster accessory is ridiculously funny, though.

But yeah, like Warcry said, definitely not the best timing for Swerve and Gears. Especially not such an athletic-looking Swerve. Swerve is supposed to be boxy and dumpy.

Blackjack is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2014-02-23, 08:17 PM   #125
Denyer
Shooty Dog Thing

UK
Thumbs up

Quote:
Originally Posted by Clay View Post
Neat.

Might be getting a full set of MP Dinobots within the year if someone does a good Sludge.

[edit]

http://i.imgur.com/RMVO4BE.jpg

Last edited by Denyer; 2014-02-23 at 10:19 PM.
Old 2014-02-23, 10:06 PM   #126
Knightdramon
Primus

York, UK

Too many Dinobots...lol never thought I'd say that.

New Snarl looks very nice [if a bit too similar to Grimlock, legs and arms-wise] but he suffers from one fatal flaw.

Same flaw almost all 3rd party companies suffer from.

Extremely long production window for each figure.

Recent examples? FP Stunticons were supposed to be finished last year.
PE Warden was said to come out last year
MMC Predaking was supposed to be 4/5ths of the way there by now, he's only 2/5s,
FP Headmasters were supposed to be much further than 3 releases in

And so on. So sadly we have a long way ahead.

Furthermore, unknown if I'll get it or not yet, but 12.99 GBP for the effing first Blaster for Swerve? Honest to god, 13 pounds for 2/3 sprues of plastic with around 12 parts in total on them, for something that's going to be smaller than an average USB stick in size?

It's times like this that I just back away and take a cold, hard look at what these prices get us these days

Knightdramon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2014-02-23, 10:54 PM   #127
Denyer
Shooty Dog Thing

UK

Not too impatient, personally. Scoria was an easy pick because of the very good feedback for Quakewave. The Bullsfire "Swoop" and this one are new companies with something to prove first. And QC is a greater concern with Snarl -- if the stego plates aren't thicker or metal they'd end up very fragile.

Price... there isn't much I collect, and dipping into the releases of various third party lines (rather than following one or more combiners) has resulted in decent figures I don't regret so far. MMV.

Old 2014-02-23, 11:19 PM   #128
Knightdramon
Primus

York, UK

With no actual general hasbro or takara release that tickles my fancy until MP Wheeljack in August, I find myself flirting more and more with some 3rd party releases, but can't pick one.

Fansproject Code and Smart Robin look and feel awesome to me, plus they're both featured in MTMTE. Only thing holding me back is the voyager brainstorm from hasbro, or lack of seeing one.

Maketoys Swerve is also of interest, I really like what maketoys is offering thus far, but the price is a tad hard to swallow. Plus, being the "manga" line...I'm afraid I'll get this and Smart Robin, and maketoys will just come up with a nicer brainstorm.

PE Fort Max looks awesome, but at around 100 pounds I'm not so interested.

The feral cons appear to be amazing designs, but I'm thinking that the end result is predaking [for which I have no real love], and standalone, they are bright coloured animals. Not even sci-fi vehicles.

Ah...decisions. And the Dinobots don't interest me.

Old 2014-02-24, 02:49 AM   #129
Denyer
Shooty Dog Thing

UK

FP do some excellent stuff, but are sufficiently more expensive than other lines for the size that any niggles would be noticeable.

If they did a variant Smart Robin like this, I'd be all over it without waiting to see what Hasbro come up with;

http://www.tfw2005.com/boards/transf...l#post10448354

Heads really do make a huge difference. The stock ROTF Bludgeon head is a case in point.

Hasbro/TT Swerve is really quite funky -- and would expect them to continue doing more fairly impressive Classics minibots.

Old 2014-02-24, 05:47 PM   #130
Knightdramon
Primus

York, UK

Eh...for me Marvel Brainstorm was nice as well, so I can always pretend it's him with Arcana.

Thinking of taking the hit and getting FP Code, Smart Robin and Maketoys [...same company, don't know why they bother] Swerve.

Old 2014-02-25, 03:10 AM   #131
Clay

Murray, KY

Quote:
Originally Posted by Knightdramon View Post
Thinking of taking the hit and getting FP Code, Smart Robin and Maketoys [...same company, don't know why they bother] Swerve.
Huh? Maketoys and Fansproject are two different groups as far as I know.

Anyway, Fansproject's not-Roadbuster couldn't have come at a worse time. They've hinted at it and shown prototypes for a long time now, but the preorders have only been available since yesterday, a good week after Hasbro showed their own.

I mean, Roadbuster was a good bet for a figure that wasn't going to get an update from Hasbro anytime soon, but it just didn't turn out that way. More's the pity, the Fansproject figure looks just fine and dandy, but I can't see too many people biting with a comparable figure at a quarter the price being available later this year.

Old 2014-02-25, 06:34 AM   #132
Unicron
Time for plan bee-weeoop

Yeah, I just saw the email earlier about BBTS' preorder for that. That's some impeccable timing

Unicron is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2014-02-25, 07:55 AM   #133
Knightdramon
Primus

York, UK

If not run by a large majority of the same people, then they at least share one primary toy designer.

Giant and Intimidator are so, so, so close in engineering and style.

Swerve and Gears are too alike with the stunticon cars in general engineering and shoulder articulation.

Happy accidents? Maybe but I doubt it.

Old 2014-02-25, 03:30 PM   #134
Denyer
Shooty Dog Thing

UK

Quote:
Originally Posted by Clay View Post
More's the pity, the Fansproject figure looks just fine and dandy, but I can't see too many people biting with a comparable figure at a quarter the price being available later this year.
Doesn't really scream Roadbuster other than the colours... it's a very square box of bits, apparently intended to interoperate with a couple of other upcoming FP figures, and there's a powermaster engine type thing thrown in as well.

Hopefully they're doing alright, because I'm hoping more of the Function X series sees release, but the Warbot, Retro Future, etc. series don't appeal. Even with the homage to Rack'n'Ruin;

https://www.fpcore.com/news/2014/01/...-ground-hammer

Old 2014-02-25, 05:37 PM   #135
Denyer
Shooty Dog Thing

UK
Thumbs up

Remember how this thread got aggregated around the Mach5 not-Ironfist? Looks like a best-case scenario happened -- the design's being put into production by a more established third party producer (Mech Ideas, who did the ace homages to Topspin and Twintwist):

https://www.facebook.com/kapowtoys.c...6?stream_ref=1

http://i.imgur.com/8U8HxDn.jpg

http://i.imgur.com/uVvDAEl.jpg

Old 2014-02-25, 09:00 PM   #136
inflatable dalek
Duke of Kidderminster

Kidderminster UK
Red face

Typical this gets announced a day after I pump for a pre-order on the Botcon version (http://www.bigbadtoystore.com/bbts/p...10&mode=retail if anyone hasn't seen it), considering this looks more like the LSOTW version that'll probably be a cancel when this reaches the point it definitely looks as if it's going to happen.

inflatable dalek is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2014-02-25, 09:56 PM   #137
Denyer
Shooty Dog Thing

UK

Not to get too judgmental but the FOC Swindle mould is a disappointing figure even the nice metallic Takara colours don't do much for -- it's definitely not worth upwards of fifty bucks and I've got one you're most welcome to. (General tip for anyone after cheap Japanese releases -- watch sellers like this one that regularly have large numbers of specific pieces for a few quid a shot.) I can send you your comics back at the same time? Book's probably best waiting if you still want it.

Also, that doesn't look much like Ironfist.

Old 2014-02-25, 10:29 PM   #138
Knightdramon
Primus

York, UK

Quote:
Originally Posted by Denyer View Post
(General tip for anyone after cheap Japanese releases -- watch sellers like this one that regularly have large numbers of specific pieces for a few quid a shot.)
Wow, extreme find----will definitely snatch one of those Megatrons. Wow.

Old 2014-02-26, 03:54 PM   #139
inflatable dalek
Duke of Kidderminster

Kidderminster UK
Red face

Quote:
Not to get too judgmental but the FOC Swindle mould is a disappointing figure even the nice metallic Takara colours don't do much for --
Oh God, is that what it is? Well, that's a cancel then. The Impactor they got out of that set still makes me cry (though a toy of himself that could combine with the Wreckers is exactly what Ironfist would have wanted).

Agreed on the resemblance not being perfect, but at the time I thought it was going to be the only way to complete my set of utterly mismatched is size age and style LSOTW team. Preorder cancelled now anyway, I'll risk this toy not happening over owning another part of that hideous* FoC combiner.

*OK, maybe the other parts are better than the Onslaught that made Impactor, but I'll bet that coke Knightdramon owes me they're not.

inflatable dalek is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2014-02-26, 10:24 PM   #140
Clay

Murray, KY
Smile

Quote:
Hopefully they're doing alright, because I'm hoping more of the Function X series sees release, but the Warbot, Retro Future, etc. series don't appeal. Even with the homage to Rack'n'Ruin;

https://www.fpcore.com/news/2014/01/...-ground-hammer
I think Fansprojects' offerings have, on the whole, been greeted warmly. The last year or so they've done the three Headmaster figures and the Stunticons, which have all sold very well apparently. If not-Roadbuster fails to move quickly, I think that they can overcome that and get on with the other proposed figures.

And thinking about it more, it seems that the safer bets for third party groups are entire combining teams. Hasbro seems very reluctant to fool with them, and the results are very compromised when they do. Of course, then the problem is competition between third party groups... but Mech Ideas picking up the Ironfist design and producing it bodes well for the talent behind the companies getting their work into the light of day one way or another...