• transformers live-action movies
  • transformers fandom
  • transformers forum

Go Back   TFARCHIVE > TRANSFORMERS > Transformers News & Rumours

Old 2014-11-02, 06:39 PM   #321
Denyer
Shooty Dog Thing

UK

See if turns up first. Fifteen should cover thing+PP+postage.

Denyer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2014-11-05, 11:57 PM   #322
Clay
"I've done better and got over it."

Murray, KY

Here's Takara Stinger, referred via TFW.

Just a red repaint of Bumblebee, not a remold.

Clay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2014-11-06, 02:13 PM   #323
numbat
Legends Class

Scotland, UK

Yay! Pre-ordered. (Given the fact that AoE Generations are overpriced exclusives to TRU in the UK, with the first wave still hogging shelves, I really don't mind paying to import the Takara ones - with a few exceptions the paint jobs are infinitely better.)

That's fine by me - I had hoped for a reshelled Bumblebee, given the mould is clearly designed with this in mind, but had lost all hope of anything by now. If they couldn't secure the rights to the Pagani Huayra, I'm just glad they went and repainted the Camaro.

That rounds off my AoE collection very nicely indeed - I was very disappointed by the lack of Decepticons / villains. Two just doesn't cut it. To be fair, neither does three, but, hey, it's better. Also, the AoE Deluxe New Camaro Bumblebee mould is really fun.

Thanks Takara!

numbat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2014-11-07, 12:57 AM   #324
zigzagger
There ain't no Sanity Clause

Talking

And the robot mode is fairly accurate. So at least it's half of what folks wanted, right?

zigzagger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2014-11-07, 11:10 AM   #325
numbat
Legends Class

Scotland, UK

Quote:
Originally Posted by zigzagger View Post
And the robot mode is fairly accurate. So at least it's half of what folks wanted, right?
That's really the main thing for me anyway.

I'm halfway through writing a review of Takara's version of the AoE Deluxe New Camaro Bumblebee. It's still my fave mould of the line, which came as a real surprise. It has its issues, but nothing compared with pretty much all of the other figures (given Evasion Mode Prime is pretty much perfect, but I find the transformation a pain).

numbat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2014-11-09, 11:30 AM   #326
Knightdramon
Primus

York, UK

The KO Ratbat seems to come in a clear tape case btw.

Stinger looks nice. He's 20 quid on Kapow, so I think that's cheap enough before shipping?

Quick question---anybody going for the United Autobots [cas and Prime] set?

Knightdramon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2014-11-09, 12:01 PM   #327
Denyer
Shooty Dog Thing

UK

Got the Prime from it loose. Not a fan of the faceplate but will be switching with a TRU standard one and using the latter for the DX9 armour.

Old 2014-11-09, 12:30 PM   #328
Denyer
Shooty Dog Thing

UK

Quote:
Originally Posted by Knightdramon View Post
The KO Ratbat seems to come in a clear tape case btw.
I'm assuming these are actual product shots (not sure what's up with the variance in metallic paint): http://www.aliexpress.com/store/prod...230149645.html

Old 2014-11-09, 02:50 PM   #329
Knightdramon
Primus

York, UK

Yeah, some people were talking about moulding differences but I couldn't spot any.

Have ours shipped?

Old 2014-11-09, 03:35 PM   #330
Denyer
Shooty Dog Thing

UK

Tracking number says south of Shangai at the moment.

Old 2014-11-22, 05:02 AM   #331
Clay

Murray, KY

Just got an email about Exhaust from BBTS. It would appear that, yes indeed, there are problems with having the cigarette brand emblem on a toy in the US. Given the recent hissy fit that one lady had with the Breaking Bad figures at Toys R Us, apparently Phillip Morris is wanting to flat out avoid opening a can of worms:

Quote:
Hi - We wanted to update you about a new development in regards to your preorder of the Transformers Masterpiece MP-23 Exhaust figure from Takara. We were just contacted by a law firm on behalf of Marlboro & Phillip Morris USA. They informed us that the MP-23 Exhaust figure infringes on their trademark and trade dress for products marketed and sold in the USA.

The mark in question is generally shaped like this:

| |
|/\|

This mark is found on the hood/roof of the MP-23 car in red, and also in smaller green shapes on the left and right fenders. They are concerned because these marks cannot be used on products that could be intended for children as dictated by the Tobacco Master Settlement Agreement (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Tobacco...ment_Agreement).

We must comply with the requests they have made in order to avoid legal action with Phillip Morris. We have removed the MP-23 listing from our website. Your preorders have been transferred to a generic unpublished listing in case the product is changed or modified before release and would no longer be infringing. If the product is not changed, we will cancel all preorders and we will not be able to sell this product.

We apologize for the trouble on this item.

Thanks!
Joel Boblit
President
www.bigbadtoystore.com
Anyone know where else I can preoder Exhaust? I totally understand why BBTS is having to back off, but I still want one

Old 2014-11-22, 05:13 AM   #332
Warcry
Likes Beast Wars toys. A lot.

Winnipeg, Manitoba, Canada

Japanese sites would be your only good recourse, in that case. But all the well-known ones that I could think of off the top of my head (hlj, Anime-export, etc) are sold out, many just today, after the news hit. So you may be screwed unless you're willing to buy from questionable Chinese sources.

Warcry is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 2014-11-22, 05:32 AM   #333
Clay

Murray, KY

TFSource still have their product page up, so I ordered from there just in case they're more quiet about it. I also ordered from Robotkingdom which is based in Hong Kong, so one way or another, I'm getting an Exhaust, lol.

I assume that if I end up with one or two extras it'll be easy to find them homes. Really only expect Robotkingdom to come through, though.

Old 2014-11-22, 10:28 AM   #334
Denyer
Shooty Dog Thing

UK

Asides from being ****ing arrogant ****s claiming IP rights over basic geometric shapes, Philip Morris are still pushing tobacco advertising to youth markets in areas they can get away with their 'Maybe [vague bad thing will happen] ...be Marlboro' campaign, so that's a bit rich.

Old 2014-11-22, 12:58 PM   #335
Tetsuro
One with the Matrix

Suomi Finland Perkele

Quote:
Originally Posted by Denyer View Post
Asides from being ****ing arrogant ****s claiming IP rights over basic geometric shapes, Philip Morris are still pushing tobacco advertising to youth markets in areas they can get away with their 'Maybe [vague bad thing will happen] ...be Marlboro' campaign, so that's a bit rich.
I'd argue this makes them even worse than Harmony Gold.

At least HG's primary business is "only" real estate.

Tetsuro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2014-11-22, 03:07 PM   #336
Knightdramon
Primus

York, UK

Weird move...no worries though, there are plenty of other outlets to get Exhaust.

AD31 Silver Knight LDR Optimus by takara on his way to me. Really lucked out at the last store I checked. Will post impressions once he's in.

There are rumours about MP Mirage and Megatron being next, but at the very best they are unsubstantiated and premature. The next MP release beyond Star Saber will probably be announced/teased late December/early January.

EDIT: Denyer, take note of this issue with the MP Ratbat KO. It is widespread http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ej0ywmY2MBI

Old 2014-11-22, 05:15 PM   #337
Warcry
Likes Beast Wars toys. A lot.

Winnipeg, Manitoba, Canada

Quote:
Originally Posted by Clay View Post
I assume that if I end up with one or two extras it'll be easy to find them homes. Really only expect Robotkingdom to come through, though.
I forgot Robotkingdom existed! Glad you were able to find one there.

And yeah, if BBTS is getting hit with C&D letters over this I'd be surprised if any other noteworthy US site was able to slip under the radar. TFSource will probably be in the same boat.

Quote:
I don't think Philip Morris really cares about either of those things. They're just preemptively trying to cover their own asses. It wouldn't be out of character for the US government to see this and try to sue them for $1 billion for "allowing" their logo to be used on a toy, so they're actively stopping US shops from selling the thing to ward off future legal trouble. Which is a shame, because tobacco companies deserve as many billion-dollar lawsuits as they can get.

Warcry is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 2014-11-22, 06:11 PM   #338
Clay

Murray, KY
Smile

Quote:
Originally Posted by Warcry View Post
And yeah, if BBTS is getting hit with C&D letters over this I'd be surprised if any other noteworthy US site was able to slip under the radar. TFSource will probably be in the same boat.
I didn't get the BBTS email until 7pm their time, after they would have normally gone home for the day. I assume TFSource and more will be sending out emails on Monday.

Quote:
Quote:
Originally Posted by Warcry
I don't think Philip Morris really cares about either of those things. They're just preemptively trying to cover their own asses. It wouldn't be out of character for the US government to see this and try to sue them for $1 billion for "allowing" their logo to be used on a toy, so they're actively stopping US shops from selling the thing to ward off future legal trouble. Which is a shame, because tobacco companies deserve as many billion-dollar lawsuits as they can get.
Yeah, I think this is a legal precaution on Phillip Morris' end regarding the anti-tobacco act from 1998 rather than them caring about trademarks. This guy at TFW summed up my thoughts perfectly:
Quote:
Interesting; so this probably means that Takara cleared it on their end legally and it was fine. Different legislation, I imagine.

It sounds to me less like a case of "Marlboro is upset that their logo is appearing on a toy" and more a case of "Guys, legally we're not allowed to allow our logo on anything kids might be able to buy because of tobacco legislation or we could get sued, so we HAVE to take action if we know about it"
And as was brought up later in that thread, the little legion Wheeljack, in being different enough probably for the purposes of avoiding having to pay PM for the use of the trademark, actually gets by because Hasbro wouldn't have been allowed to use the actual logo by law since it's a product marketed to youth.

And as I read somewhere else, saying that Masterpiece is meant for adult collectors isn't likely to have any traction as the brand as a whole is marketed towards kids.

But again, it seems like this issue will be wholly limited to United States based retailers.

Old 2014-11-22, 07:00 PM   #339
Denyer
Shooty Dog Thing

UK

Quote:
Originally Posted by Warcry View Post
I don't think Philip Morris really cares about either of those things. They're just preemptively trying to cover their own asses.
Yeah, obviously. The same merry-go-round of dead eyed PR interviews is starting to happen with fast food companies as of a couple of years ago... "Who? Us? Market to kids? Pleasedon'tmakeushavewarninglabels we'lladdsaladstoourproductrange."

Old 2014-11-25, 12:24 AM   #340
Clay

Murray, KY

TFSource seem to have taken a "hiding in plain sight" approach. Don't know how long that'll last after Phillip Morris just googles "masterpiece+exhaust+online+store" and sends out more C&D letters, but here's hoping it works out for them.

Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	reduced-image_9344_106.jpg
Views:	94
Size:	26.9 KB
ID:	10473