• transformers fandom
  • transformers forum

Go Back   TFARCHIVE > TRANSFORMERS > Transformers Toys & Merch

Old 2013-08-07, 08:19 AM   #41
Knightdramon
Primus

York, UK

Patience is the key in this instance.

You will, sooner or later, be able to get the figure via a good person, much like how I lucked out with Rodimus via our own Notabot.

What I love is that with each big name MP that gets released, people get bolder and bolder with their trading needs.

Examples
TRU Soundwave for TRU Prime [fairest one I've seen]
TRU Soundwave for MP11 Starscream or Grimlock [really? an 120 USD figure for a 300+ USD one?]
TRU Soundwave for SDCC Metroplex [same as above]

In my experience, things get effing crazy during the first few weeks/month of release of a US MP. Same thing happened with Thundercracker, who people wanted 100+ USD for a figure that eventually settled at 60 USD. Prime, things went batshit insane there while the thing still shelfwarms at UK. Soundwave, same old, except in this instance Acid Storm keeps his price so far.

Few stuff in the UK to trade/sell. Measly sales thread.
Knightdramon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2013-08-07, 08:30 AM   #42
numbat
Legends Class

Scotland, UK

Quote:
Originally Posted by Knightdramon View Post
...in this instance Acid Storm keeps his price so far.
Yeah, well, it is Masterpiece Acid Storm after all...

New sale thread added with a range of Transformers including Masterpiece, Botcon, CHUG, RID, Movies etc.

Looking for MP-11T Thundercracker and MP-9 Rodimus v2 (Takara version with as few QC issues as possible).

Check out my new sale thread now!

Also items on eBay.
numbat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2013-08-16, 02:49 AM   #43
Digital
Protoform

Default Hasbro cancelled shipments to tru

I heard that only 500 soundwaves were released in Texas. Dumb luck I happened to catch a few. Now I'm putting these boys away for a while!

Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	image.jpg
Views:	150
Size:	543.3 KB
ID:	9770  
Digital is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2013-08-20, 09:40 PM   #44
Sunrunner
Micromaster

So, as mentioned above, TRU UK are getting both MP Soundwave and Acidstorm in stock (according to the website in mid to late August). Considering that Grimlock, Rodimus and to a lesser extent Prime all shelf-warmed after the initial scramble to snap them up, is this a wise decision?
Why release 2 MP figures in the same month? I wonder if they will be a limited run and only a handful of figures will make it into each store?
I hope this isn't the case as I'm very keen to get my hands on Soundwave, but don't want to pay scalper prices because I don't get to a store quick enough!
Considering Metroplex is also due to be released in the UK soon, I just can't see TRU having three high-end items at retail at the same time.

Also, does anyone know why TRU have picked up a non-entity like Acidstorm for release in the UK when they passed on both Starscream and Thundercracker (both of which surely would have generated a higher demand)?

Sunrunner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2013-08-20, 10:10 PM   #45
Thunderwave
Gestalt

Upstate, NY

The TRU around here got 2 shipments of the two Masterpieces in. One shipment hardly anyone saw because the local scalper is a shit and bought the entire run of both. The second one the store manager wised up and out a limit of 1 MP figure per person.

That said there is still a few Acid Storms about but Soundwave is long gone, TRU having sold through 12 cases of him in 2 weeks.

Keep in mind that I live in the armpit of toyland USA. We usually see things a month or two after they actually drop and things seem to hardly move at times due to our area's situation (namely jobs are terrible and things keep getting worse).

Thunderwave is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2013-08-20, 10:26 PM   #46
Denyer
Shooty Dog Thing

UK

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sunrunner View Post
Also, does anyone know why TRU have picked up a non-entity like Acidstorm for release in the UK when they passed on both Starscream and Thundercracker (both of which surely would have generated a higher demand)?
Not sure that the fact the site lists things means they'll ever get stock, or things will ever turn up in store. Assuming any are carried they might be order only.

I'm going to wait and see if they start taking orders on SW, personally, unless Kapow come in near the RRP.

Denyer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2013-08-20, 11:07 PM   #47
Skyquake87
One with the Matrix

I checked TRU's uk site yesterday. The expected eta of 'mid-August' has already been changed to nothing at all for Soundwave and 'stock expected 2 - 3 weeks' for Acidstorm.

Read into that what you will.

Skyquake87 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2013-08-21, 05:33 AM   #48
Rack 'n Ruin
Unregistered User

Debris, UK

Quote:
Originally Posted by Skyquake87 View Post
I checked TRU's uk site yesterday. The expected eta of 'mid-August' has already been changed to nothing at all for Soundwave and 'stock expected 2 - 3 weeks' for Acidstorm.

Read into that what you will.
That's weird. I just checked the TRU mobile site for Soundwave, and it still shows mid-August. Disparity between the two, or a glitch yesterday?

Wreck and Rule!
Rack 'n Ruin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2013-08-21, 06:30 AM   #49
Skyquake87
One with the Matrix

Possibly! Site now back to showing mid-August for Soundwave and late August for Acid Storm!

If all these American scalpers keep buying four at a time, i wonder if we'll get any .. ? :P

Old 2013-08-27, 01:11 PM   #50
praetorian
Powermaster

Up on the Canadian TRU website for pre-order. Price at $89.97! One pre-order per customer.

praetorian is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2013-08-29, 07:49 AM   #51
inflatable dalek
Duke of Kidderminster

Kidderminster UK
Smile

The listing on ToysRUs UK now has it down as being available in stores (but not for delivery or click and collect...).

Might have a trip to Merry Hill over my forthcoming week off.

inflatable dalek is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2013-08-29, 06:20 PM   #52
Denyer
Shooty Dog Thing

UK

They had stock for delivery this afternoon (since sold out) -- no great rush, personally. Might drop by Merry Hill tomorrow evening in case any have been put out.

Old 2013-08-30, 08:11 PM   #53
Denyer
Shooty Dog Thing

UK

In-stock for delivery or click and collect now. None at Merry Hill yet; nearest was Solihull and I had other stuff to do when I ordered at about six before I left work, so should be delivered sometime next week...

Old 2013-08-31, 05:24 AM   #54
inflatable dalek
Duke of Kidderminster

Kidderminster UK
Red face

I misread that as you ordering 6, I was going to say that was a bit excessive.

Not being terribly trusting of the postal service for big expensive things I may go have a day out in Solihull (though Google suggest Shirley is the best station to go to as it's closer to the Toys R Us. Shirley not! ect).

My mother is worryingly keen to come with me as she's apparently always wanted to go shopping in Solihull.

Old 2013-09-03, 06:50 AM   #55
Skyquake87
One with the Matrix

I got one yesterday with money off with my vouchers and everything. Although I did have to check availability. There's 3 stores in easy-ish reach of me (all out of town barns) and only the larger of 3 stores carries MP Soundwave. And he does seem to be limited stock, according to the guy I used to work with at TRU.

My, what a big box he comes in. It is a nice box though. A big purple box embossed with logos and other design fartiness. There's a bit of wrap around card with some nice touched up photos on that make the Cassettes look bigger than they are. Inside, everything's nicely laid out, although the expanse of packaging materials is hugely wasteful. Shame the instructions are, as usual these days, just jammed in and all scrunched up in a mess at the bottom - and why no product catalogues Hasbro? I used to love these...especially as Soundwave forms part of the thrilling 30 - it'd be nice to see what the other 29 are...

Kind of tickled how Soundwave is a good size, roughly twice that of his old school toy, yet the Cassette Robo are pretty much the same size as the originals. Some nifty engineering in the little guys. Ravage is heart stoppingly fragile though. The two bird-bots are awesome and I like that Rumble and Frenzy are unafflicted with springy heads! Hooray! The pile drivers for both don't like to stay on the arms though and plugging the guns into their backs isn't as easy as it should be.

If I'm being picky, which I am, I do feel Soundwave is a little over egged for a guy that has what is ultimately a pretty straight forward transformation scheme. Takara's wizards have felt the need to add in some unnecessary twiddly bits for the transformation. I was expecting him to be a bit like MP Grimlock with a pretty straight forward sequence with added articulation, yet he's oddly fiddly around the legs. I also miss that you can no longer store the shoulder cannon and rifle in a battery compartment. The dictation machine alt mode is very hefty and as with MP Megs is now a bit too big to pass for what its supposed to be, but its nice and detailed.

Robot mode is nice, although his lower legs swamp the figure. He has very tight hip joints too which gives mine a little bit of an awkward backwards tilt. These joints are those sort of parts that feel too tight around their surrounding mechanisms and seem to exert a lot of pressure onto the waist when you try and ratchet them about. I can see why they are so sturdy, but I think those tough yet moveable joints like this you got on Cybertron-era toys (and previous) would have been better. The head sculpt is nice, but his yellow visor seems a bit feeble and wishy washy which is a shame.

He does look very cool though, standing around surrounded by his minions with Laserbeak perched on his arm. And sticking them on the ground in front of him covers his massive legs!

I'd say Soundwave himself is worth a solid 60 - he's in the same class as Hasbro's MP Grimlock- not sure the tiny cassette guys are worth the same to get an RRP of 119.99. But then Hasbro are charging 14 for those crappy data disk dudes...

Old 2013-09-03, 05:35 PM   #56
inflatable dalek
Duke of Kidderminster

Kidderminster UK
Smile

Quote:
Originally Posted by Skyquake87 View Post
I got one yesterday with money off with my vouchers and everything. Although I did have to check availability. There's 3 stores in easy-ish reach of me (all out of town barns) and only the larger of 3 stores carries MP Soundwave. And he does seem to be limited stock, according to the guy I used to work with at TRU.
They certainly didn't have any others out when I went to collect the one I reserved (there's an exciting story to tell other people's grandchildren in years to come "I had to go to Solihull to get this toy, it involved walking for up to twenty minutes!"), as I was leaving one guy excitedly stopped me to go "Where did you get that!!!! Where are they?! How much?!" to which I just had to laugh evilly and walk out cackling.

Quote:
My, what a big box he comes in. It is a nice box though. A big purple box embossed with logos and other design fartiness. There's a bit of wrap around card with some nice touched up photos on that make the Cassettes look bigger than they are. Inside, everything's nicely laid out, although the expanse of packaging materials is hugely wasteful.
It never even occurred to me that the box was deceptively large, I guess because I already had a reasonably rough idea how big he was. I could see how anyone coming in cold to it would be a bit annoyed.

Quote:
Shame the instructions are, as usual these days, just jammed in and all scrunched up in a mess at the bottom - and why no product catalogues Hasbro? I used to love these...especially as Soundwave forms part of the thrilling 30 - it'd be nice to see what the other 29 are...
What was the last range to have a catalogue in the pack? The Unicron ones are famous of course but did the films/Animated/any of the classics have them? I guess they've basically been made redundant by Google now (anyone picking this up who's curious about the thrilling 30 thing can find out more about it in 30 seconds than any catalogue could give).

Old 2013-09-03, 07:31 PM   #57
Skyquake87
One with the Matrix

The rotf nest toys, powercore and animated were the last ones to have a catalogue i think. Mainly in the us packages though. Us europeans haven't had them since cybertron in 2006,presumably to avoid disappointment! I know there's google,but thats no fun

Old 2013-09-03, 07:51 PM   #58
inflatable dalek
Duke of Kidderminster

Kidderminster UK
Smile

One thing I'm surprised they don't do (unless I've missed it) is take advantage of those little square barcode things smartphones can scan (as I believe they're technically called). A quick swipe over one of them could easily lead to a current product catalogue, or character profiles (giving you a choice of languages to avoid the whole trio-lingual reducing the amount of space thing) or all sorts of stuff.

Hell, I'd bring Robot Points back and make it so that when you've collected enough you get a free Itunes download of a Prime (or whatever comes next) episode. There are so many 21st century ways Hasbro could get around the fact the current cartoon and comics (especially in the UK) aren't easily viewable by the whole potential audience.

Sure, maybe not many six year olds will have a smart phone or an itunes account, but there's more than a good chance their parents will.

Last edited by inflatable dalek; 2013-09-03 at 09:51 PM.
Old 2013-09-03, 09:35 PM   #59
Denyer
Shooty Dog Thing

UK

Quote:
Originally Posted by inflatable dalek View Post
I guess they've basically been made redundant by Google now (anyone picking this up who's curious about the thrilling 30 thing can find out more about it in 30 seconds than any catalogue could give).
Not really -- it's good to show kids that don't necessarily have that motivation the rest of your product.

My guess would be that retailers aren't keen on catalogues or packaging that promotes stuff other than what's in the current wave.

Old 2013-09-03, 09:40 PM   #60
Skyquake87
One with the Matrix

No, the funny square thing isn't on Hasbro's stuff. Takara have had it on their stuff going back to the start of last decade (near enough - its on some E-Hobby stuff I have), but then Japan is some technological marvel light years ahead of the rest of world.

...I miss robot points.

Of course, they amounted to jack sh*t here in the UK (except the cardboard STARS centre.be still my beating heart).

I can easily imagine this sort of thing Hasbro would happily set up for US consumers. the rest of us can go whistle!

...Just noticed both Rumble and Frenzy's shoulders develop stress marks when you move them around the balljoints.

F**ks sake.