Go Back   TFARCHIVE > TRANSFORMERS > Transformers Toys & Merch

Old 2013-09-03, 09:50 PM   #61
inflatable dalek
Duke of Kidderminster

Kidderminster UK
Smile

Quote:
Originally Posted by Skyquake87 View Post
No, the funny square thing isn't on Hasbro's stuff. Takara have had it on their stuff going back to the start of last decade (near enough - its on some E-Hobby stuff I have), but then Japan is some technological marvel light years ahead of the rest of world.
It's odd they don't really, the buggers are on everything at work. If you want to know more information that can be gleamed just by looking at it about Tesco value bog roll they've got your back.

I've never used such squares myself (mainly because I'm an old grumpy man), but it's odd that such an obvious and (presumably) popular avenue of promotion isn't being more fully embraced.

Considering toylines in general are in a loosing battle against computer games (especially in the UK) you think there would be more effort to use the technology da kids are down with to Hasbro's advantage.

Quote:
...Just noticed both Rumble and Frenzy's shoulders develop stress marks when you move them around the balljoints.

F**ks sake.
Ouch, really?

inflatable dalek is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2013-09-03, 10:01 PM   #62
Skyquake87
One with the Matrix

I don't use the squares because my phone is too cheap and i'm so careless with mobile phones i will never buy a big fancy flash thing that can do that stuff. Also because i am old and a bit grumpy.

Seems the only thing thats surviving the video game onslaught is Lego. And i'll bet thats because they've sensibly tied in videogames and online content into their products, without restricting any of their product offering no matter where you live (er, with the caveat of the western world on that one!).

Probably explains why everyone is riding Lego's coattails and the toy aisles are a depressing sea of knock off Lego products.

And yes, Rumble is the worst. the red plastic feels a wee bit waxy and not as tough as it should be. And the same is happening to Frenzy. I've transformed them once and just put them in poses too

God's balls, what are Hasbro making their toys with these days?

Skyquake87 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2013-09-03, 10:14 PM   #63
inflatable dalek
Duke of Kidderminster

Kidderminster UK
Smile

Quote:
I don't use the squares because my phone is too cheap and i'm so careless with mobile phones i will never buy a big fancy flash thing that can do that stuff. Also because i am old and a bit grumpy.
And I don't really understand them. My brother was able to bring up an introduction to Paul from Pegg and Frost complete with trailer just by waving his phone over the cover of the Blu Ray, I can see how that's a pretty neat way of hooking people browsing in a shop to check something out.

Quote:
Seems the only thing thats surviving the video game onslaught is Lego. And i'll bet thats because they've sensibly tied in videogames and online content into their products, without restricting any of their product offering no matter where you live (er, with the caveat of the western world on that one!).
I'm actually surprised (again) Hasbro haven't done more with the computer games considering that's basically where their key audience is, putting the effort into a really great game with a decent length of play would probably be worth more to them than even a cartoon at this point in terms of promotion. Especially as new technology means they can offer new characterts/toys as they go along.

If, say, they'd really thrown their weight behind War for/Fall of Cybertron and kept the on-line world alive with new content and stuff (technical term) and then, say, released Hoist as a free download character it would have reached way more people than any of even the best comics are capable of.

It's odd how the computer game side of things seems to have taken two steps back after the Armada one was so well recieved a decade ago (not that the new games have failed, but they don't seem to have set the world alight either. Which is daft when Transformers has a set up that almost perfectly lends itself to almost every type of action game if they got it right).

Quote:
God's balls, what are Hasbro making their toys with these days?
Dang, I'll have to check mine now. I blame the 7 year olds putting them together.

Old 2013-09-03, 10:26 PM   #64
Skyquake87
One with the Matrix

Knowing my luck, the stressy thing will just on my examples. Its mainly where the shoulder pieces have come off the sprue. Rumble has two little burrs and the stress shows just around the top Frenzy is the same, just less pronounced.

I think the big problem a lot of large companies have is that they are run by old people whom don't understand technology or see it as something they should invest in.

Firm I work for, currently in the news for Cayman Island based tax shenanigans, has decided that IT is an area it will not be investing in for the next few years and has slashed the IT department back to the bare bones. We rely on IT everyday - from logging calls, managing customer accounts and logging and dealing with operational problems. As well as for more important things like telemetry on our assets and stuff.

Everytime this stuff goes down, we're f**ked and the whole place goes into a panic because we can't do without the techology now - and yet, this doesn't need investing in?!

Lego has a very interesting working environment where play is a big part of the work and that's reflected in their product and how they work.

Old 2013-09-04, 03:16 AM   #65
Thunderwave
Gestalt

Upstate, NY

Quote:
Knowing my luck, the stressy thing will just on my examples. Its mainly where the shoulder pieces have come off the sprue. Rumble has two little burrs and the stress shows just around the top Frenzy is the same, just less pronounced.
No stress marks here on mine and I've transformed them both several times.

And the "little boxes" are called QR Codes. iirc Hasbro and a few other companies have done things with them where you can scan the codes and get character profiles, or play as the character in silly little online games. If my memory is still working right, didn't they do something like that for Hunt for the Decepticons?

As for the video games, it's not like Hasbro has had a lot of success in that area. Of all the video games they've had done only the Armada one and War/Fall games ever really amounted to anything. Most have been pretty big let downs (although I will admit the Animated DS game is a guilty pleasure). If they could work with High Moon to do a tie in game for what ever TF series hits next they might be able to make a real go of it.

Thunderwave is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2013-09-04, 07:26 PM   #66
Denyer
Shooty Dog Thing

UK

Sure it's stress marks and not just slight mould flash? That's what it looks like here.

Denyer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2013-09-05, 09:22 AM   #67
Skyquake87
One with the Matrix

I dunno, I can't quite decide. It may be mould flash, but there's definately some tell-tale lighter marks around the top of the socket. They seem fine, having fiddled with them a bit more, but still...

I do like that you can cram three cassettes in his chest and eject them one at a time. That's really cool - Hasbro could have done pointing out all his extra features - as is the ability to store Frenzy and Rumble's weapons...in his feet! The instructions really do feel like they've been done as an afterthought. Sometimes, Hasbro seem so careless with their products - why would you not want to tell people about the full capabilities of the toy?

and shut up about Google. Its not an excuse!!

Old 2013-09-05, 09:44 AM   #68
inflatable dalek
Duke of Kidderminster

Kidderminster UK
Smile

No, paper instructions should be much more comprehensive that these ones are.

Having checked my boys, no obvious stress marks... yet.

Old 2013-09-05, 10:23 AM   #69
Knightdramon
Primus

York, UK

Omitting a feature or two of the toy is nothing. MP Thundercracker shipped with the wrong instructions!

On the topic of videogames, hasbro can't advertise shit.

I firmly believe they'd make more, much more money off sales had they arranged the FOC releases to coincide with the game. What good is Grimlock and Bruticus, the big ooomph factors of the game, released way after the game is out, and one of them in colours not in the game?

Metroplex was a big factor in the game as well, even on the front cover and every promotional video, yet hasbro choose to put out one Metroplex [not the same design] over a year later, with the only tie-ins being comics.

Few stuff in the UK to trade/sell. Measly sales thread.
Knightdramon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2013-09-05, 12:43 PM   #70
Thunderwave
Gestalt

Upstate, NY

Glad to know I wasn't the only one to find his directions lacking when it came to all the neat features, like fitting three cassettes into his chest or what some of the little do-hickies he comes with are or why they all peg into each other.

And thanks for the heads up. I hadn't checked his feet, of all places, for anything unusual.

Old 2013-09-05, 02:51 PM   #71
The Reverend
Double Targetmaster

Knoxville, TN

aye, that drives me crazy. the instructions aren't just badly drawn, they're incomplete... and yes, in MP Thundercracker's case they don't even correspond to the toy.

The Reverend is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2013-09-06, 12:38 AM   #72
Thunderwave
Gestalt

Upstate, NY

Something I noticed. The bottoms of Soundwave's feet are painted. I thought they where just diecast. I slapped some painter's tape on the bottoms of his feet to stop any more wear.

Old 2013-09-09, 12:18 PM   #73
The Reverend
Double Targetmaster

Knoxville, TN

Well, in a very predictable turn of events, it appears MP SoundBlaster is en route, with MP Ratbat packaged with him.
No word on any MP Overkill, Slugfest, or Squawkbox. Too bad

The Reverend is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2013-09-11, 09:07 PM   #74
Ryan F
hunts pandas for lolz

What would be really neat is if Hasbro were to release a figure-based video game, like Skylanders or that new Disney thing. Plonk your new deluxe Bumblebee on the magic plate thingy and Presto! he's playable in a video game.

Transform And Roll-Out
The Unofficial And Unauthorised Guide To The Transformers (1984-92)
Coming 2017 from Telos Publishing
Ryan F is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2013-09-13, 07:51 PM   #75
Denyer
Shooty Dog Thing

UK

Soundwave and Acid Storm are in-store at Merry Hill TRU if anyone's still looking and is in the Midlands. Also re-stocked on FoC Grimlock and Orion Pax, IDW Megatron, etc.

Denyer is offline   Reply With Quote