Generations IDW Orion Pax [uploaded]

Working area for reviews.

Moderators: Skyquake87, ganon578

tahukanuva
Custom Title: Human After All

Generations IDW Orion Pax [uploaded]

Post by tahukanuva »

Pictures now. Review soon.

Look at that two-handed swing! This dude's pretty rad.
Attachments
IMG_20130906_183559.jpg
IMG_20130906_184137.jpg
IMG_20130906_183436.jpg
tahukanuva

Post by tahukanuva »

Name: Orion Pax
Function: Idealist, Super-cop
Subgroup: “Thrilling 30”
Size Class: Deluxe

Long before the burden of leadership was forced upon him, Orion Pax was a great thinker, an intellectual revolutionary. He spent his life plugged into a console, sorting, parsing, and filing historical data. As the world outside grew darker and more bleak, he saw hope for the future in his world’s past. He saw, when no one else would, that Cybertron could once again be free – and he has clung to that dream even through the dark times since.

You know something Dreamwave got right? Changing Optimus’ pre-Primehood name. ‘Orion Pax’ is a dumb name. It doesn’t sound a thing like ‘Optimus’ or even like a Transformer name. “Optronix” is… still pretty dumb actually. But it’s better. It still isn’t what Hasbro would’ve named him (Probably “Wheelwell” or something like that) but it fits in much better with the other nontoy guys like Straxus or Devcon or Jhiaxus. Point is, I don’t like the name. It’s pretty lame and Optimus deserves better.

Name aside, though, the idea of Pre-Optimus Prime is an intriguing one to me. We always see Optimus fully formed as a larger-than-life god-to-his-men. While that’s certainly inspiring and heroic and all, by design it lacks depth. Seeing our hero before all that lets us learn how he works; what makes him so driven, heroic, self-sacrificial? What sort of person is behind that emotion-concealing and totally badass faceplate? There’s a lot of dramatic potential there involving one of my favorite fictional characters, so whatever the name, an Optimus-before-he-was-Optimus toy was definitely something I’d be wanting.

Plus I own a lot of Optimus Primes by this point and sometimes you need some novelty to keep the spice in the relationship.

Alternate Mode:
It’s… almost a pick-up truck? Like, there’re a lot of features you’d expect from a normal Earth modern pick-up (the general silhouette, headlights, wheels-with-tires, truck grill) but they’re mixed in with a lot of Cybertronian elements (no doors, ‘techy’ details everywhere, engine in the passenger compartment, those weird-ass fins on the back). It’s a weird look, but I like it. It looks Optimus-y without just being a tiny big rig. (That’d be an oxymoron, you see.) The color arrangement also manages to feel like Optimus without just copying Optimus; there’s a lot more red, but now there’s some blue in the front, too. And those weird-ass grey fins suggest his eventual grey trailer. Kind of.

There's a neat little sculptural detail on the underside, (the soles of his feet to be precise) two pairs of tiny jets. That's a weird design decision, but it reminds me of his sweet take-on-all-comers charge in the 80s movie, so it's fine by me.

Anyway it rolls well and hides his robot bits for the most part. His forearms are pretty visible in the back, but since this isn’t technically a disguise at this point, that’s really better than we should expect. Also, due to construction, it looks like he has a rubsign on the roof. That’s neat.

Robot Mode:
I won’t spend a lot of space describing the conversion because why would you need that, but I will say that it bears a resemblance to the larger movie Prime figures with the way his arms sit parallel (behind the torso rather than in front of it) and the way his legs are made up from the entire bottom half of the vehicle folding in front to back. This engineering is pretty neat, albeit almost certainly unintentional.

Once Orion’s all converted, you’re left with a pretty small deluxe figure, as they all seem to be nowadays. Of course this works better for Captain Not-Important-Yet than it does for say, Megatron’s largest body yet. Though it should be noted just how small he is; he looks RtS Laser Optimus right in the mouthplate, or for a point of reference almost everyone will own, his eyes reach the collar of a Classics Seeker. So, pretty dang small. Also worth noting are his proportions. His head is pretty itty-bitty. Probably only barely out of proportion, but it does lead to an impression of him being smaller, which doesn't really work in his favor. His fist, by contrast, are pretty dang big. I kind of like the effect since two-fisted action hero super-cops tend to do a lot of punching and his giant mitts work great for that. But to each their own.

Aside from the size (which doesn’t bother me, though you may be more of a stickler), Orion’s a pretty fantastic little robot. His colors are bright but rich, with enough paint that none of him feels bare. And he looks like you think young Optimus would look. He’s got a less pointy helmet, no mouthplate, and a single unified window boob. A few of the other cosmetic details are different, but for the most part this is just a smaller, more expressive version of the guy that we all likely recognize pretty well by now.

Articulation-wise he’s pretty ace. I’d do a breakdown if I trusted myself not to miss anything, but just assume he’s got enough to get into any reasonable pose you’d want. Pax’s head sits on a really nice, expressive balljoint, his hips and knees bend pretty deeply, his ankles have enough movement to keep him stable, his arms have enough for a rad two-handed overhead axe swing, and he even has the often neglected waist joint.

For accessories he comes with a stubby version of his future Ion rifle, and a large Energon axe. They’re both sturdy and well-sculpted, and between them and the articulation you can get Orion Pax into some great two-fisted action hero poses.

Comic Book
We have a full review of this issue, written by Red Dave Prime, so I’ll be brief: it’s no “Spotlight: Megatron” (one of my favorite anythings ever) but it is a pretty fun little story featuring Orion Pax being a two-fisted action hero. It’s probably far more suitable as a toy pack-in than “Megatron” was. Also the drawing of Orion on the ‘Hasbro Exclusive Cover’ is creepy. as. balls.

Transformation Design: 8. It’s mostly pretty smooth and fun, but the truck side panels run all the way back to front, so they can be kinda tricky to get lined up completely and not press on the front wheels.
Durability: 8. He’s pretty dang solid. The axe is transparent plastic, but not particularly thin. Just don’t step on it.
Aesthetics: 9. His colors are really striking, and he face somehow conveys ‘youth’ so I’d say he’s earned this.
Articulation: 10. It’s really good, you guys. And he has a lot of it.
Value/Price: 9. Yeah, he’s tiny. But he’s well-made and comes with a comic book. And Transformers in general are pretty cheap. $13-15 won’t get you this much size and quality from any other toy-line.
Overall: 10 for me/8.5 for normal people. Admittedly, he has a lot of factors that endear him to my personal specific tastes. But he's still pretty friggin' great. If you can find room in your heart for one more Optimus, I recommend that you go for this guy. I doubt you’ll be disappointed.
tahukanuva

Post by tahukanuva »

Okay, cool. It's been a while since I've done one of these, so I hope I've done it correctly. Any typos or awkward phrasing you guys find, or any details you think I forgot to cover, I'll be happy to fix.
Denyer

Post by Denyer »

Certainly give me more interest in the guy. Wasn't intending to get Bumblebee either initially, but that also turned out well (with a few extra paint apps)...
Denyer

Post by Denyer »

This thing's ****ing scout-class, isn't it? I like him, but are they ****ing serious?
Knightdramon
Protoform

Post by Knightdramon »

From his wave onwards, yes, the difference in height and mass to previous lines is disheartening. Looks like a nice figure, but seeing them in person, it made me want it but at the same time save that money for an MP figure.
Few stuff in the UK to trade/sell. Measly sales thread.
Denyer

Post by Denyer »

Thing is, it's noticeably smaller in stature than the Bumblebee in the same wave.

Feels more solid and the detail works better -- in pretty much every respect a better figure -- but the head in particular is tiny.
tahukanuva

Post by tahukanuva »

It comes to my attention that an actual height-comparison photo wouldn't be a bad idea. The size doesn't bother me at all, but it can be a big deal for others. I'll have that up as soon as possible.
Denyer

Post by Denyer »

The toy sells the design/character better than the Spotlight issue, TBH. Digging the "Orion Pax: Lawman" look and feel.
inflatable dalek

Post by inflatable dalek »

I do think it's a shame someone (understandably to an extent) clearly thought the "Normal" Orian Pax look in IDW was too close to various previous computer game/War Within Titanium pre-Earth Optimus toys and thus pumped for a design only seen in one issue.

So you do get something unique and different looking from just another Optimus-Prime-That-Doesn't-Turn-Into-An-Earth-Truck toy, but winds up with a pack in comic where the character in question basically ends the issue going "What the **** was I thinking?! Back to a proper Pax-ey face for me!". There can't be many toys that include an extra where, to all intents and purposes, the toy itself rejects its design.

[Though, based on the edits to the "Trailcutter" and Megatron Spotlights, I suppose it's possible the pack in version of Orion Pax just cut out the last "This is what I should look like!" page...]
REVIISITATION: THE HOLE TRUTH
STARSCREAM GOES TO PIECES IN MY LOOK AT INFILTRATION #6!
PLUS: BUY THE BOOKS!
Warcry

Post by Warcry »

Denyer wrote:Thing is, it's noticeably smaller in stature than the Bumblebee in the same wave.
Deluxe Optimuses are always tiny compared to everything else in the line, aren't they? I've never really understood why...is it that hard to make a toy with a truck alt-mode big in robot mode without blowing the budget? But Armada, the two-pack from Classics, RTS Laser Prime...all runts. WFC Optimus is probably the biggest of the ones I own and all he manages is being around average.
inflatable dalek wrote:I do think it's a shame someone (understandably to an extent) clearly thought the "Normal" Orian Pax look in IDW was too close to various previous computer game/War Within Titanium pre-Earth Optimus toys and thus pumped for a design only seen in one issue.
It's also possible that they started designing the toy before the Chaos Theory design got much face time. After all, it usually takes a year or two for something to make it from concept to toy.

Though if you've got the motivation right, I'm not sure I disagree with it. Whatever the design was based on, I don't see them calling a toy that looks exactly like Optimus Prime anything but Optimus Prime. The design that they ran with gets across the "young Optimus" vibe way, way better than the Milne one, which basically looks like it could be a body for Prime any time in the modern era.
Skyquake87
Protoform

Post by Skyquake87 »

Looks alright, but I'm indifferent to it. Mind you, I'm not really keen on the whole Orion Pax/ Optimus Prime thing anyway. Orion Pax is a rubbish name. He sounds like a trade agreement.
inflatable dalek

Post by inflatable dalek »

Warcry wrote:
Though if you've got the motivation right, I'm not sure I disagree with it. Whatever the design was based on, I don't see them calling a toy that looks exactly like Optimus Prime anything but Optimus Prime. The design that they ran with gets across the "young Optimus" vibe way, way better than the Milne one, which basically looks like it could be a body for Prime any time in the modern era.
Oh sure, I have no problem with the toy itself (as I don't even own the toy); my problem is the attempt to tie it into IDW's ongoing fiction. The tie in comic packaged with the main American release basically boils down to the toy apologising for it not looking like it should.

I think IDW and Hasbro could have been much, much braver in deciding how these comics went, and it would have been really easy for both companies to arrange one-off spotlights. We could have had an Orion Pax comic that was just based on the cartoon (as the toy design is at least close enough to the show for it to make no difference); an Armada Starscream spotlight; a Rattrap Spotlight; and a Rhinox Spotlight without the need to set them all in the same continuity.
REVIISITATION: THE HOLE TRUTH
STARSCREAM GOES TO PIECES IN MY LOOK AT INFILTRATION #6!
PLUS: BUY THE BOOKS!
Knightdramon
Protoform

Post by Knightdramon »

I actually think that the way they handled Orion Pax in the comics is a clever one; release a tie-in toy and at the same time explain why artistic license in Spotlight Blurr was not supposed to be artistic line, in-universe.

I do agree that the tie-in figures have been hastily put into IDW's universe, even having to go back to flashback stories for 4 of them, and sort of disregard Hoist's current design for his tie-in comic. Trailbreaker more or less ignored the toy design :lol:
Few stuff in the UK to trade/sell. Measly sales thread.
tahukanuva

Post by tahukanuva »

Mmkay, I have the height comparison photo. (Geeze, the Universe Prowl mold is bizarrely large, isn't it. I mean, Warpath's a pretty normal sized figure and Prowl sees right over him.) And just in reference to Warcry, not really intended for the review, a comparison of the deluxe Primes I had lying around. The two normal sized one manage only though one being completely hollow and having a grossly misproportioned truck mode, and the other transforming into a comet.

Also, think I'll do a very minor rewrite tonight or early tomorrow. There're a couple of points I've thought of that I should mention, and I should probably emphasize the height more since it's probably way more important to others than it is to me.
Attachments
CA5860F7-2EFC-4C49-B60B-99C51409CA83-13699-00001663E036ED4B_zps2ab4eaf2.jpg
DBE56BD3-1B51-4E72-82DD-519BFC74C1E7-13699-00001663EB704D03_zpsdcf8ea34.jpg
tahukanuva

Post by tahukanuva »

Forgot I was supposed to edit this a bit. :o

Anyway, I added a bit about his slightly odd proportions. And the weird thrusters in his feet. And edited his final score to reflect the fact that a few things that don't bother me or I even like, are the things other people aren't as favorable towards.

If there's no other problems anyone sees I guess this is ready to go?