• transformers forum

Go Back   TFARCHIVE > TRANSFORMERS > Transformers Media & Fandom > New Comics

Old 2014-03-12, 04:38 PM   #201
inflatable dalek
Duke of Kidderminster

Kidderminster UK
Smile

NOW OUT AND READ SPOILERS AHOY.

Hmm. The character stuff was all great (though I think the "Prowl is a dick" thing is going too far now, he was needlessly OTT to Chromedome but equally it's not like he hasn't been going through some shit himself), the Blurr gag was a bit obvious but still fairly funny and I'm really liking the cheerful Constructicons.

A minor niggle is the book is trying too hard to push Megatron's forthcoming change of team, that's two issues in a row where he's had lengthy "I'm nicer than you think" speeches and it does feel a bit as if this could have perhaps been seeded a bit more evenly throughout the series. Loved Ratchet's reaction to him though.

However, I did find the final reveal of what Shockwave's been reeeaaaaaaaaaaaaaaallllllllly up to somewhat underwhelming. First, because it owes a lot to some of the sillier RTD era Who season finals (Shockwave might as well be played by Timothy Dalton), but mainly for two other reasons:

1: Shockwave plans to use the time machine to create the Dead Universe as a mean of stealing energy for Cybertron's present... OK, to a degree that makes sense. But that means Shockwave is indeed now firmly retroactively behind everything the IDW continuity has been about. We didn't know how lucky we were when Dreamwave only had him behind things that had happened after he was created.

[Though if the good guys beat him, presumably the Dead Universe won't be created and none of the last nine years worth of comics will have happened. Soft reboot ahead?]

2: What exactly is he going to get out of causing the "End of time... itself!" as the Daltonator might put it? He's going to trap Cybertron in a constant never ending "Now" with no past or future, how is that logical and how is it to the advantage of the species? Is he just a loon now or am I badly misunderstanding?

Actually, what's Jhiaxus getting out of helping to create the Dead Universe, a place that has been nothing but bad news for him? If he's always been working towards this, why did he seem to be trying really hard to help destroy our Universe back in Revelation?

Oh, and will Scoop please **** off.

Cyclonus and his singing is intriguing as well, and I loved the Brainstorm bit as always.

inflatable dalek is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2014-03-12, 04:44 PM   #202
Auntie Slag
Satisfaction guaranteed !

Cambridge, UK
Question

Just looking at the splash page preview; who is the Trailbreaker-looking guy stretchering Megatron on the bottom left of the page? (Trailbreaker/cutter is on the right with some of the other Lost Light crew).

Auntie Slag is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2014-03-12, 04:46 PM   #203
inflatable dalek
Duke of Kidderminster

Kidderminster UK
Smile

The Decepticon medic guy? Fasttrack IIRC?

Old 2014-03-12, 04:57 PM   #204
Auntie Slag

Cambridge, UK
Smile

Blimey, never heard of him! A quick check of the TF Wiki says he was mates with Blurr and then joined the Decepticons... although the way its written suggests they're not entirely sure if we're referring to the same Fasttrack. There seem to be a few of them.

Thanks!

Old 2014-03-12, 05:04 PM   #205
Unicron
Time for plan bee-weeoop

Quote:
Originally Posted by Auntie Slag View Post
Just looking at the splash page preview; who is the Trailbreaker-looking guy stretchering Megatron on the bottom left of the page? (Trailbreaker/cutter is on the right with some of the other Lost Light crew).
Quote:
Originally Posted by inflatable dalek View Post
The Decepticon medic guy? Fasttrack IIRC?
Flatline, actually.

Unicron is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2014-03-12, 05:18 PM   #206
Auntie Slag

Cambridge, UK

Cheers Unicron :-)

Hey Dalek, I thought you knew about Transformures?

Old 2014-03-12, 07:06 PM   #207
Unicron
Time for plan bee-weeoop

No problem. Honestly I had no idea who it was either, what with not having actually read RID or Dark Cybertron yet (gonna pick up the trades for DC eventually). Somewhere in the TFW2005 thread for the preview, there's a post tagging everyone in the big splash page.

Old 2014-03-12, 07:11 PM   #208
inflatable dalek
Duke of Kidderminster

Kidderminster UK
Talking

Quote:
Originally Posted by Auntie Slag View Post
Cheers Unicron :-)

Hey Dalek, I thought you knew about Transformures?
Says the man who can't get Slug's name right in his own name!

Old 2014-03-12, 07:33 PM   #209
Auntie Slag

Cambridge, UK
Talking

No need to get arcee about it!

Old 2014-03-12, 07:37 PM   #210
Knightdramon
Primus

York, UK

Quote:
Originally Posted by inflatable dalek View Post

2: What exactly is he going to get out of causing the "End of time... itself!" as the Daltonator might put it? He's going to trap Cybertron in a constant never ending "Now" with no past or future, how is that logical and how is it to the advantage of the species? Is he just a loon now or am I badly misunderstanding?

Actually, what's Jhiaxus getting out of helping to create the Dead Universe, a place that has been nothing but bad news for him? If he's always been working towards this, why did he seem to be trying really hard to help destroy our Universe back in Revelation?
The way I read it, he'll essentially immortalize Cybertron and their power sources forever through him. His main worry as a Senator was the limited resources they had, and it's been made explicit [especially in MTMTE] that bots in other star systems are using poor placebos for energon.

By constantly feeding Cybertron energy through a loop, he undoes that need.

While Jhiaxus seems like a mastermind and a puppeteer, he's more like a puppet. I think he greatly feared and/or respected [more like feared] Nova and Galvatron to stand up to THEIR plan, and he's been out of a position of power for too long to try and stand up to Shockwave. Never mind that thanks to millenia of upgrades and so on, Shockwave can take on Jhiaxus one-handed [no pun intended], possibly along with Bludgeon.

Few stuff in the UK to trade/sell. Measly sales thread.
Knightdramon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2014-03-12, 08:01 PM   #211
inflatable dalek
Duke of Kidderminster

Kidderminster UK
Smile

Quote:
Originally Posted by Knightdramon View Post
The way I read it, he'll essentially immortalize Cybertron and their power sources forever through him. His main worry as a Senator was the limited resources they had, and it's been made explicit [especially in MTMTE] that bots in other star systems are using poor placebos for energon.
But stealing energy from the Dead Universe via time travel from before it was the Dead Universe in order to create the Dead Universe takes care of the energy problem (surely the Transformers can't use up the power of an entire Universe?), what does the end of time thing achieve? Other than showing off?

Old 2014-03-12, 11:24 PM   #212
Red Dave Prime
Assistant Comic Reviewer

Ireland

Wasnt too fussed about this issue. There's some nice moments with the regulars but the Dark Cybertron thing is feeling a bit lame and has over stayed its welcome at this point.

I dunno, Shockwaves plan seems far, far too elaborate for its own good. For a start if the idea was to save cybertron why not let everyone know from the off hand? Hell, he can still keep some of the better ores secret if he wants to betray them. Cant see a single Cybertronain being bothered by Shockwave grabbing energy from the dead universe to keep Cybertron going.

And the end reveal of Shockwaves army? These are the same guys who couldnt kill a guy who whirl took down in seconds and have been routinely getting their asses handed to them every time we have seen them. Ok, 70 billion is a lot but the extra numbers didnt exactly help them against the lost light crew. Also - why does he even bother with cybertron if he could simply set up a world with the ammonites and becoming their god? The tech could be recreated on another world (going by Gorlan Prime) and it cant be sentimentality for Shockwave.

I'm sure it will all just about make sense in the end and there's a certain impressiveness in how everything is just about tying in together but its one hell of an over egged pudding. The cast list has been needlessly big and several characters that should have gotten a bit of spotlight have been nowhere because there was a need to justify having both the main casts of RID and MTMTE. Bludgeon has been wasted to the point of why bother and Metalhawk has the most flimsy turnabout from siding with the bad guy to now feeling Shockwaves gone too far (no problem with raising a dead titan and destroying half of Iacon though)

Also - Scoop. Seriously, why?

The Megatron thing bothers me a lot. Fine, he has somewhat seen the light. Fine, the Autobots appreciate that he saved the day. But he is still the guy who plunged their planet into a 4 million year long war and butchered many of the autobots colleagues. I find it hard to buy how any of the head autobots can even speak to the guy let alone team up with him. I'll give Ratchet a let-off given he's a medic but Bumblebee? A few days ago (in story ville) Megatron crushed his face.

Ah, I've ranted enough. Not bad but the return to a single MTMTE comic cant come soon enough.

Red Dave Prime is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2014-03-14, 04:01 AM   #213
Phase Sixer
Protoform

Axiom Nexus

This story still is all over the place

I mean unless prime and rodimus are supposed to be in the dead universe to stop shockwave, what was the point of having prime and company in the DU? I mean we have learned absolutely nothing new about dead universe we didn't already know. (Except the fact that nova lives in a fortress shaped like his head) And the reality that this story tells is that nothing can be done from the DU. So if nova does kill prime, what then? He still can't get out, shockwaves plan was never as he put it to restore some ancient royalty to the thrown. Which really makes all the DU parts pointless at this moment. And honestly what happens to prime and company if both nova and Galvatron make it thru the space bridge? Who would care that they are there?

Shockwaves plan is like, ok? What exactly is changing the universe so there is no past or future or whatever and have the all the energies of the universe converse on cybertron is actually going to achieve what? Does this mean no one in the universe exists? Planets like earth and nebulous or any planets for that matter what happens on these worlds? I mean ten issues and this is the plan. This is what jhiaxus would allow the student to become the master for and go along with?

This Megatron, I just simply don't like, Megatron talking with bumblebee? Feeling remorse? Megatron? Who would happily wade thru dead autobots chest deep just to kill the last one? And now this? This is bad comedy

And don't get me started on Metalhawk, jeez is he with the nails? Is he with autobots? Is he with shockwave? I mean we have no explanation for him, he wakes up and is suddenly on shockwaves side, he was DEAD, and awoke in a zombie like trance, but now he has his own mind. Is it just ok to change a character just to fit your story at the moment?

The character bits are good, like prowl and chrome dome exchange and Magnus, the swerve and blurr bit was good, but other than that it's all over the place, here's hoping the last 2 issues make some sense of things

Phase Sixer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2014-03-15, 01:21 AM   #214
Terome
Indigent

Brighton

Largely agree with the general direction of this thread - lots of good bits and satisfying moments but the morass of the plot (Metalhawk, Scoop, Shockwave's big reveal) sucks it down in a frustrating way.

I'd agree that Megatron's about-face is somewhat sudden but I suppose it's going to have to happen one way or another. I do quite like him teamed up with Bumblebee too.

Terome is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2014-03-15, 09:06 AM   #215
Knightdramon
Primus

York, UK

Guys...isn't it obvious that Metalhawk was faking being with Shockwave, just to get an idea of what's going on?

The thing with Megatron is a tad ridiculous in that he was walking around, killing Autobots and nearly killing Bumblebee just a day ago. Literally, a day ago.

He has a history of teaming up with Autobots when the danger is too high, but this is kind of taken to the extremes.

Old 2014-03-15, 06:40 PM   #216
Unicron
Time for plan bee-weeoop

Quote:
Originally Posted by Knightdramon View Post
The thing with Megatron is a tad ridiculous in that he was walking around, killing Autobots and nearly killing Bumblebee just a day ago. Literally, a day ago.

He has a history of teaming up with Autobots when the danger is too high, but this is kind of taken to the extremes.
Yeah, it's a bit ridiculous. I guess those couple of hours he spent locked up in Wheeljack's magic bubble gave him time to reflect on his actions, leading to this change of heart.
That or it's part of his newest scheme of the week.

They probably came up with the 'Megatron goes good' too late to seed the idea in RID, which seems like another sign of how much that comic was stalling for time. It's why I'm glad Roberts is going to be the one handling Megatron after this is over. We should get a good explanation that way.

Old 2014-03-15, 07:28 PM   #217
Knightdramon
Primus

York, UK

We're already getting him written by Roberts. It read like Roberts' writing.

The problem with DC, as I've repeatedly said, is that apparently RID spent the past 5-6 months building up to it, while MTMTE did its own thing, hence why RID seems so...disjointed in comparison.

With the interviews and all that, it seems as if DC was decided veeeery early into the series, so it still comes as a surprise as to why there are various obvious errors here and there.

Furthermore, it appears as if lots of these issues were drawn at the same time by different artists altogether, because whenever an artist changes or something, there are discrepancies here and there.

Old 2014-03-18, 01:13 AM   #218
zigzagger
There ain't no Sanity Clause

Default Transformers: Robots In Disguise #27

Transformers: Robots In Disguise #27: Dark Cybertron Part 11 (of 12) preview @ Newsarama.

zigzagger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2014-03-18, 01:15 AM   #219
zigzagger
There ain't no Sanity Clause

Oh...

And the preview for Regeneration One #100 is in there too, for those who are paying attention.

Me, I'm looking forward to next month.

zigzagger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2014-03-18, 05:10 AM   #220
Unicron
Time for plan bee-weeoop

Hmm... that flashback in the DC preview... definitely raises some questions.