• transformers fandom
  • transformers forum

Go Back   TFARCHIVE > TRANSFORMERS > Transformers Media & Fandom > New Comics

Old 2014-03-26, 04:25 PM   #241
Red Dave Prime
Assistant Comic Reviewer

Ireland

@ Warcry

Price would define this. Its 12 issues long so if you buy individually it will be about €60 (which I have) and in that case, not worth it. Pick it up at half that probably in TPB and I think it gives more than it takes. Not as good as MTMTE but better than RID as a series. Worth a read, but not essential.

Red Dave Prime is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2014-03-26, 10:57 PM   #242
inflatable dalek
Duke of Kidderminster

Kidderminster UK
Smile

The last two issues are worth reading in a silly action scene way, and the (entertainingly OTT) Previously stuff fills you in pretty well.

Worryingly, you don't need to read the issue where Shockwave explains his plan though.

inflatable dalek is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2014-03-27, 12:09 AM   #243
zigzagger
There ain't no Sanity Clause

Smile

Quote:
Originally Posted by inflatable dalek View Post
The last two issues are worth reading in a silly action scene way

Part 10 (MTMTE #27) wasn't too shabby either, I thought. Mostly just folks from both titles sitting around gabbing away, but it was a lot of fun and touches on a few plotlines that are pertinent to MTMTE (e.g. Prowl and Chromedome's bit, and every moment with Megatron, really -- worth it just to see Ratchet snark off to him).

It's where I decided to pick up, and I was able to follow along just fine. But, more on that later. I'm tired.

zigzagger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2014-03-27, 12:33 AM   #244
Terome
Indigent

Brighton

Yeah. Okay. They pulled it off.

It was a long and winding way to get to the standard Christian moral but the scene that has been set looks promising.

Quote:
Warcry: So now that the whole thing is done, what's the verdict? Does the decent ending make it worth going back and slogging through the silly early chapters? Or should I just read the last issue or two so that I'm primed to pick up the story in MTMTE when the actual plot starts up again?
I'm curious to see how it reads on a single afternoon but if I were you I'd pick up one or more of the new issues - we've been told they will serve as custom-fitted jumping on points. MTMTE seems like the logical choice but Windblade looks quite fun from the little we've seen and Barber might actually fool me twice with the solicits of RID.

Terome is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2014-03-27, 08:19 AM   #245
Knightdramon
Primus

York, UK

Hmmm...much more coherent thoughts later on, but the rough draft

--I was right! Shockwave regressed back to his old self!

--Kind of a natural progression for Rodimus to volunteer to carry the wounded back. Not anymore gung-ho, he decides to care for his crew, which is what he was guilt-infested of in his very first IDW appearance.

--...black hole opens up, with possibly time travelling and time-changing properties...and bumblebee's body is left around that. Cop out. Love though how Megatron tried to grab Bumblebee while Magnus and Prime left him behind

--Megatron's progression felt natural, indeed. He'll be like an anti-hero for a while, yeah.

--Galvatron leading the Decepticons seems a bit forced, but okay

--Starscream's kind of an asshole. He has his moments, but he's indeed an arse. Also, while self-boasting as the Decepticon's greatest warrior, for the past few years he is either too catatonic to fight or gets his ass kicked badly. When he wins, he wins because he takes the opponent by surprise.

--Poor Metalhawk. I really like this guy.

Few stuff in the UK to trade/sell. Measly sales thread.
Knightdramon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2014-03-27, 08:50 AM   #246
Rack 'n Ruin
Unregistered User

Debris, UK

Quote:
Originally Posted by Knightdramon View Post
--Poor Metalhawk. I really like this guy.

I was with you until this!

Wreck and Rule!
Rack 'n Ruin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2014-03-27, 12:19 PM   #247
inflatable dalek
Duke of Kidderminster

Kidderminster UK
Talking

Quote:
Originally Posted by Knightdramon View Post

--I was right! Shockwave regressed back to his old self!

Don't be too proud, after all, you know who saw it coming first? Stevie Wonder.

inflatable dalek is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2014-03-28, 07:22 PM   #248
Unicron
Time for plan bee-weeoop

I kind of like the idea of Galvatron ending up as the new Decepticon leader, and not just because it's Galvatron and tradition. Practically everything we've seen of IDW Galvatron has been when he's being controlled or influenced by the Dead Universe in some way. I'm curious to see what his goals and motives will end up being now that he is apparently free.

Unicron is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2014-04-03, 09:57 AM   #249
Heinrad
Ironmod

Riskin' it all on my Russian Roulette!

As all I've read of Dark Cybertron is two of the toy pack-in comics, I have one important question:

Is Nightbeat back?

As a professional tanuki (I'm a Japanese mythological animal, and a good luck charm), I have an alarm clock built into me somewhere. I also look like a stuffed animal. And you thought your life was tough......

3DS Friend Code: 1092-1274-7642
Heinrad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2014-04-03, 12:15 PM   #250
Unicron
Time for plan bee-weeoop

Yes

Unicron is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2014-04-03, 11:14 PM   #251
Heinrad
Ironmod

Riskin' it all on my Russian Roulette!

WOOHOO!!!!!!!!!

As a professional tanuki (I'm a Japanese mythological animal, and a good luck charm), I have an alarm clock built into me somewhere. I also look like a stuffed animal. And you thought your life was tough......

3DS Friend Code: 1092-1274-7642
Heinrad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2014-06-08, 02:51 PM   #252
Knightdramon
Primus

York, UK

Necro-ing this, since I actually got the Vol1. TPB

Read it all---reads much more coherently back to back than various issues, and without monthly breaks of 3 or more interlocking stories.

Some bits are fairly weak though---you can easily tell that things scripted changed between issues and never picked up again.

Starscream tooling up with weapons from Kimia to face the titan...then actually next issue having none of these weapons and just flying for a chat with the necrotitan.

Soundwave and the Decepticons attacking the autobots on Necrotitan...for what effing reason? I think Soundwave had just managed to get the cons to get to Shockwave, and the Autobots just got in the way. But this is never further explained or made clear.

The whole chosen one prophecy---I honestly think that neither Barber nor Roberts even know how to answer the question. We have NO idea why or how Starscream is the Chosen One. For all we know, the Necrotitan just activated the death wave at that point, which would have happened even without Starscream? If Starscream's the catalyst to the activation, we're never told WHY.

And for book1, actually Starscream -does- go on to help the Iacon citizens. He does go, on his own, to "speak" to the Necrotitan, he does actually fly back, warn everybody and even try to block the necro wave...so why the f*ck is he getting that much sh!t over that? It just makes all the neutrals sound like bitches instead of making him like a "villain".

Plus, the whole damn Scoop plot. "Hey Starscream even after everything you've done to me I totally believe in you. YOU are the chosen one" with a smile, then one issue later, in crisis, stating that "you are the chosen one to destroy us". LOL WTF?

The rodpod sequence with the spark scan, which was oh so witty because we thought it miscounted the signs and counted metroplex as the minicon while brainstorm was actually not registering---retroactively makes no damn sense. If it's got the range to scan metroplex's spark, then it certainly has the range to scan the three fembots. So the scanner shouldn't be "people on the pod-1+1 minicon+metroplex", it should be "people on the pod-1+1 minicon+ metroplex + 3 other sparks". Technicality, but still.

Any reason at all they made Hardhead a total asshole? Guy was very likeable as a "tough sonnova" pre-DC, then he's turned into a witty silly one liner guy that insults people? Wha...? And he's even made fun of, sarcastically, for killing Nightbeat---in self-defense, arguably at the cost of his own life, at the cusp of another similar event horizon years ago. This entire thing just didn't make sense.

And probably other things I don't/can't remember now. Raiz is amazing at penciling, the cybertron scenes-stand in guy is/was getting better with each issue except for that atrocious Prowl head [...the horns are too small!!!!!! WHY?] and the DU art was good at times.

No extras on the TPB at all besides the covers. No foreword, no afterword, nothing, but to be honest, it IS a packed TPB.

Few stuff in the UK to trade/sell. Measly sales thread.
Knightdramon is offline   Reply With Quote