• transformers forum

Go Back   TFARCHIVE > TRANSFORMERS > Transformers Media & Fandom > New Comics

Old 2013-11-07, 12:14 AM   #21
Terome
Indigent

Brighton

Quote:
Originally Posted by inflatable dalek View Post
I did however think the writing for Starscream was terrible, there's all the subtlety gone out the window there.
I'd put that in the category of 'had to go in order to get everything crammed in there' along with the kill-switch follow up. We needed to know that Starscream is
  • A baddie
  • The mayor
  • Has a shiny new body
  • Is crafty but also blinkered

Which was accomplished.

Though I thought the full page spread reveal of his new body could have been better spent. Call me French but I get quite irritated by the superhero convention of lavishing space on costume changes. We'll see plenty of him later and there are covers that show off the new design quite adequately.

That lovely double spread of the Titan coming through the surface was enough splash for one issue, in my opinion.

Terome is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2013-11-07, 05:12 AM   #22
zigzagger
There ain't no Sanity Clause

Eeeeh... still not entirely sold on this, set-up or not.

I am a little curious how this is going to carry over into MTMTE #23 -- or rather, how that title's cast will respond to the situation. Hopefully Roberts can work some magic.

Soooo, at very least I'll stick around for that before panning the whole thing.

And, hey, it's Kup! That's gotta count for something. I'll have to strike that one off the wishlist.

zigzagger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2013-11-07, 08:25 AM   #23
inflatable dalek
Duke of Kidderminster

Kidderminster UK
Smile

Quote:
Originally Posted by Terome View Post
I'd put that in the category of 'had to go in order to get everything crammed in there' along with the kill-switch follow up. We needed to know that Starscream is
  • A baddie
  • The mayor
  • Has a shiny new body
  • Is crafty but also blinkered

Which was accomplished.
Yeah, I could see what they were aiming for, it was just a bit on the nose (and didn't feel very Barber-ey, are the two authors swapping characters?).

Quote:
Though I thought the full page spread reveal of his new body could have been better spent. Call me French but I get quite irritated by the superhero convention of lavishing space on costume changes. We'll see plenty of him later and there are covers that show off the new design quite adequately.
Good point, I don't think it stood out as a waste of space initially because the far more pointless Soundwave spread from RID21 is still so fresh in my mind. This scores over that in a few ways (it's a character in a form we've not seen before; they're saying something and moving a bit), but it's still a long way from being essential.

I do feel sorry for Unicron Trilogy fans (both of them) that the one toy representing that franchise in the 30th anniversary toyline is going to be released as G1 Starscream instead (I suppose the profile might still be UT-ey, but that would be confusing with the pack in comic being all G1-ey). At least Rattrap and Waspinator are effectively the Beast Wars characters brought into G1.

I'm not sure about the idea of flashforwards, with solicitations and covers promoted months in advance anyway (Nova and Galvatron was the least surprising cliffhanger ever in that regard) I'm not sure the comic itself needed to spoil the surprise return of Kup as well.

Plus, if Shockwave can see the future, his inevitable defeat will make him look really, really stupid.

[And it had a bit of that Zero space bobbins from Reg about it as well].

And Slog? Really? That had better not bloody well make it into the comic.

More positives:

The "Previously on..." being made up of old art was a nice touch, emphasising the TV feel all this talk of "Seasons" create.

Having done nothing for months (though in comic time, it's minutes... boy did the last five issues of RID really piss it's pace all up the wall) the Cybertronian Autobots deciding to go into action was very welcome and the bits of interaction were very well done, especially Arcee's constant "It's Jhiaxus!". I like to think she just makes that claim everytime she stubs her toe or uses all the loo roll in a day as well.

inflatable dalek is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2013-11-08, 10:28 AM   #24
Terome
Indigent

Brighton

Here's a review from someone who hasn't been overly involved in Transformers output for more years than are strictly necessary:

http://www.geekedoutnation.com/comic...k-cybertron-1/

"It just about makes sense to me, but I did have to read through the book a few times to get the gist of it all. It’s not simple, and this book certainly doesn’t make it easy to understand what is going on.

Perhaps it’s just going to be a period of reaclimatising myself to this world of giant robots, because I really enjoyed this book, difficult though it was to fully understand every subtle nuance and reference point that was contained within.
It had a nice touch of humour about it as well with the robots ribbing each other like football players in a locker room. The art was very clear, very bright and very large, bold and dramatic when it needed to be."

Going by that review and the comic's own merits (an introduction and assembly point), I'd call Dark Cybertron a partial success.

Old 2013-11-08, 02:15 PM   #25
Red Dave Prime
Assistant Comic Reviewer

Ireland

I enjoyed this issue. While it has its poor bits (yep, starscream just didnt work) it also had some good bits too.

The overall vibe I got was similar to when a tv show moves to a movie (star trek and firefly spring to mind)- it has to try and introduce all these characters while maintaining some flow of narrative. It doesn't quite succeed but it does a pretty good job all the same.

I liked the artwork too, nice mix of styles and flow. The titan double splash was worth it. Overall it was a good issue to kick things off because it looks like all the pre-amble is finally done with and we are straight to the heart of the matter.

There's a few niggles other than starscream that let it down - the "dont call me prime" thing has worn well thin now, as has Barbers use of monologues. Also, Prime is still a bit too navel gazey for me. I want the take-charge prime from Shadowplay. Anything else is done to death and boring.

The final page is also a bit of a head scratcher. Maybe I'm reading it wrong but Galvatron is alive along with Nova Prime and they are the ones behind everything with Shockwave being somewhat loyal to Galvatron? Hmm...

Red Dave Prime is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2013-11-08, 03:21 PM   #26
inflatable dalek
Duke of Kidderminster

Kidderminster UK
Smile

Oddly, Galvatron being behind this all along would actually fit in better with the original take on their entry into the Dark Universe where it was his choice to do so rather than acting on orders.

I had forgotten this (mainly because the confusion in my mind caused by previous DU stuff can only be calmed by going to look at a picture of Kelly Brook for half an hour) till it was pointed out elsewhere, but the last time Galvatron met a non-possessed by D-Ream (or whatever actually happened in Heart of Darkness) Nova/Nemesis (Novais?) he tried to kill his former boss. Which was of course, right before Galvatron was chucked in the famous Solar Pool.

Considering Barber is so hot on continuity I doubt this has been forgotten, so it'll be interesting to see how they patched things up.

Last edited by inflatable dalek; 2013-11-08 at 04:10 PM.
Old 2013-11-17, 07:43 AM   #27
zigzagger

Default Transformers: Robots In Disguise #23

Transformers: Robots In Disguise #23: Dark Cybertron Part 3 (of 12) preview courtesy of Full Metal Hero.

Full preview due sometime closer to the release date. Stay Tuned.

Old 2013-11-17, 07:45 AM   #28
zigzagger

Default Transformers: More Than Meets The Eye #23

Transformers: More Than Meets The Eye #23: Dark Cybertron Part 2 (of 12) preview courtesy of Seibertron.

Last edited by inflatable dalek; 2013-11-20 at 07:33 PM.
Old 2013-11-17, 07:51 AM   #29
zigzagger

Not as much MTMTE in this preview than I would prefer (razzin' frazzin' crossover ), but Brainstorm is always good value.

Old 2013-11-17, 02:33 PM   #30
Terome
Indigent

Brighton

Yes, and Raiz is a lot better when he's not cutting and pasting body parts around like he's making a Flash cartoon.

I am getting the feeling that fears about MTMTE being jostled about with by the necessities of the crossover are slowly but surely becoming true.

Old 2013-11-17, 03:45 PM   #31
Denyer
Shooty Dog Thing

UK

Not hating it so far... apart from whichever idiot put their site logo over panel text...

Denyer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2013-11-17, 03:46 PM   #32
Auntie Slag
Satisfaction guaranteed !

Cambridge, UK

This is a right bunch of arse. I fancy sitting this whole Dark Cybertron thing out, I don't want to buy preludes and RID just to get the full story. I'll come back when MTMTE is properly MTMTE again.

Auntie Slag is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2013-11-17, 03:53 PM   #33
Terome
Indigent

Brighton

I think the preludes make up about half of the Dark Cybertron story. If we count the Spotlights, MTMTE 22 and the last three issues of RID and Dark Cybertron 1 we get something like ten issues.

Old 2013-11-17, 04:45 PM   #34
Auntie Slag
Satisfaction guaranteed !

Cambridge, UK

But doesn't Dark Cybertron carry on unbroken within the pages of MTMTE from issues 22 through to 27?

Auntie Slag is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2013-11-17, 05:10 PM   #35
Terome
Indigent

Brighton

Oh yes, it does that. I was talking about the stuff we've already seen, Spotlight Orion Pax through to Dark Cybertron #1 (the Wiki includes the RID Syndromica stories too) to bolster your case that you'd have to buy a lot of comics in order to follow MTMTE for the next six months.

From the Wiki, the prelude consists of:

"Syndromica"

Syndromica (1)
Syndromica (2)

"Dark Prelude"

Orion Pax
Thundercracker
Megatron
Bumblebee
Trailcutter
Hoist

"Dark Cybertron Prelude"

Robots in Disguise #17
More than Meets the Eye #22

Though to be honest that's all guff to me - Dark Cybertron #1 is really all you need to get the gist if you're feeling brave.

Old 2013-11-17, 07:01 PM   #36
inflatable dalek
Duke of Kidderminster

Kidderminster UK
Red face

That really does put into context how much of the leg work Barber has had to do (though who knows what other bits of MTMTE will turn out to be directly important? Presumably that Titan graveyard from Remain in Light will have a part to play...), no wonder RID went off the rails a tad in the last six months.

Old 2013-11-17, 07:52 PM   #37
Denyer
Shooty Dog Thing

UK

It's primarily his story. Which explains why Gorlam Prime has been squandered as a concept (pissing over work by a previous writer and with no regard for the story possibilities) and the Dark Cybertron concept comes across as pseudo-science nonsense.

Old 2013-11-17, 11:05 PM   #38
Terome
Indigent

Brighton

Mmm, it does seem that way. Is Gorlam Prime kersplat though? We did see it begin to blow up but those magic ores could fix it in a jiffy. It's not any worse than when Heart Of Darkness killed off the entire population for yuks.

Old 2013-11-17, 11:57 PM   #39
Denyer
Shooty Dog Thing

UK

Galvatron being stripped to the skeleton appeared to be a dream sequence... most of the rest of HoD could be put down to bad acid as well.

Old 2013-11-20, 07:45 PM   #40
inflatable dalek
Duke of Kidderminster

Kidderminster UK
Smile

OUT NOW AND SPOILERS TO FOLLOW.

Oh look, Nightbeat. Now, there's a shock. I'd have left him in the preserve of flashbacks myself (especially as it feels as if Roberts- and apologies if that's unfair and I've picked on the wrong author- is determined to take his "Head shots aren't leathel" idea to comics that were written before he was onboard), but lets see how it goes. Wouldn't it be amazing if this ends with any situation other than the character being on the Lost Light?

Otherwise, much like the last issue it was surprisingly solid despite having to fight my misgivings on the EPIC EVENT as a whole. I don't think I'm ever going to love this, as Terome put it better than me with the first part it's just not designed to push my buttons which isn't really the fault of the story, but if it keeps up this rough level (but maybe sorted out things like the really odd way Barber continues to write- and apologies to Barber if that's unfair and I've picked on the wrong author- Starscream without any of the subtlety or shades he had for most of RID) it will be readable rather than something to endure.