Go Back   TFARCHIVE > TRANSFORMERS > Transformers Toys & Merch

Old 2013-08-17, 05:05 PM   #41
Clay
"I've done better and got over it."

Murray, KY
Angry

Quote:
Originally Posted by inflatable dalek View Post
Though wasn't the only reason he wasn't Bumblebee was because of names rights issues at the time? [/Pathetically pedantic]
I DON'T REMEMBER IT WAS A LONG TIME AGO.

But the overall point still stands... Energon aside, Armada and Cybertron had a majority of new characters instead of self-referencing homages. Whether the trend of Animated and Prime comes from audience expectation of familiarity or Hasbro not wanting to jumble up the good thing they've got going is hard to say.

Clay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2013-08-17, 06:24 PM   #42
Denyer
Shooty Dog Thing

UK

Quote:
Originally Posted by inflatable dalek View Post
you couldn't move for 100's of unwanted Bumblebee's. The real question though is how they sell on the retail shelf to kids)
That was all that was left at TRU last time I was in. I quite like the mould but hopefully they're not overpacked.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Clay
Energon aside, Armada and Cybertron had a majority of new characters instead of self-referencing homages
Yeah, there was actually something to contrast the homages to and it felt like a gradual reveal and Hasbro realising that there was sufficient reason to put effort into more original line inspired stuff to get as much additional trade as possible, hold onto trademarks, etc. With rising costs, it wouldn't be a revelation that adults make up a bit more of the market... obviously not to the same extent as the comics market, but there's more of that.

Denyer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2013-08-17, 08:05 PM   #43
Knightdramon
Primus

York, UK

Quote:
Originally Posted by Denyer View Post
That was all that was left at TRU last time I was in. I quite like the mould but hopefully they're not overpacked.
They can't be overpacked. In what was, hopefully, Hasbro's continuing moment of brilliance, each toy was packed equally in that generations case. 2 of each in the case of 8.

Which, sadly, means that people don't want Bumblebee any longer.

Few stuff in the UK to trade/sell. Measly sales thread.
Knightdramon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2013-08-17, 08:19 PM   #44
Denyer
Shooty Dog Thing

UK

If they do, they want a BB that's in the media they like, and a character they like... but whilst I've no idea about Prime, IDW Bumblebee has been unsympathetic, and Movie Bumblebee was barely characterised and is already out there in massive numbers.

Good to hear about the ratios though. Surprised, as Pax apparently sold out quicker than Megatron locally.

Old 2013-08-17, 09:17 PM   #45
Cliffjumper
Cellar Door

I dunno... Bumblebee's name probably does a decent trade with unwitting relatives and there's a certain amount of design continuity between some - a nipper who wants Movie Bee isn't going to go spare if he gets Prime Bee (who, incidentally, is rather fun and doesn't have half as much screentime as you'd expect; he's The Muscle while muscular Bulkhead is the kid association character).

I would also say any Bumblebee will shift eventually as long as he's in a film sooner or later for much the same reason. The character's had an incredibly successful relaunch as far as the public and casuals are concerned; his previous high water mark in exposure terms was being the annoying little wuss in Seasons 1 & 2 - now he's right up there with Optimus Prime and probably ahead of Megatron in terms of a figurehead. People who don't know there was a cartoon in the eighties know who Bumblebee is.

I wonder how much of his ubiquity is down to retailers always wanting a new Bumblebee on the shelf rather than Hasbro being stubborn, in the same sort of way that Convoy's about the only Transformer that anyone in Japan cares about? I mean, how many figures of Spider-Man are there in Spider-Man lines compared to Venom or Aunt May? A ****ton more, because kids watch Spider-Man for Spider-Man,

Cliffjumper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2013-08-17, 09:23 PM   #46
Knightdramon
Primus

York, UK

The thing is, Spiderman promotes a single hero with a shit load of villains. Transformers can promote dozens and more heroes with equally many villains.

Sadly, Japan suffers in the aspect that as a culture, they idolize the hero or titular character and the rest are pretty much fodder to them. Gundam, Macross, Evangelion [thankfully to a lesser degree] and more series heavily promote the lead character, toy wise, and nothing else. If people think MP Convoy v 2.0 is bad, a MG Gundam RX78 V3.0 came out in Japan this month.

And that's V3.0 after V1, V1.5, different variations, new moulds, V2.0, again different variations and so on.

Old 2013-08-18, 04:10 AM   #47
Cliffjumper
Cellar Door

But the same thing does basically happen with a lot of Western 'team' franchises - look at X-Men, compare the amount of exposure Wolverine gets compared to anyone else, right down to dominating the film series. Or the Avengers, where anything that doesn't feature the big five or six characters makes no impression on the masses. Or Snake-Eyes in GI Joe; it's supply and demand, Hasbro don't make 40 figures of someone if everyone hates them.

People in general don't want a cast of thousands for this sort of thing - the 2007 film had five Autobots in it and three Decepticons with something that could pass as a character; for the second one things stayed the same to the point where half the Transformers aren't named on screen.

Old 2013-08-18, 08:13 AM   #48
Skyquake87
One with the Matrix

This is true, with tons of faces on screen, its difficult to give them all screen time to show much in the way of personality. The G1 cartoon got around this by having various 'showcase' episodes for some characters, but the large cast was unwieldly, as poor old Bob found when writing the US comicbook.

I like the small cast thing, yet its a bit of shame that nowadays we just get slightly tweaked variants of the big names and few 'new' characters injected. I think this is why I like Knock Out so much in Prime, as he feels fresh and brings something a little bit interesting to the table - high camp and sadism! Everything else feels a bit of a dull retread of whats come before.

In terms of the article, its interesting that the Classics/ Masterpiece lines have largely replaced reissues of classic toys. I feel like I'm a bit of a minority whose happier appreciating older toys for what they were, rather than in these fancy upgrades. Part of me does wonder if that's largely informed by the generally poor availability of the Classics style figures over here and also because I personally find its the post '86 cast whose toys would most benefit from a reimagining. The Diaclone/ Microman moulds are ace and somehow the Classics stuff, with their all plastic take, somehow fail to recapture the same magic for me. Yet guys like Hot Rod and Springer really benefit from modern retakes.

This article makes me want to get out my silly E-Hobby baubles. Still love Deep Cover, Magnificus and the Insecticon Clones.

Skyquake87 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2013-08-18, 08:52 AM   #49
Denyer
Shooty Dog Thing

UK

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cliffjumper View Post
Bumblebee's name probably does a decent trade with unwitting relatives
How much is it like football strips, though? When we were kids the main "new" versions within the life of the line were things like Powermaster Prime and G2 Megatron... and whilst G2 and Classic Heroes brought around some old moulds, it was a chance to get stuff you missed rather than extras that might be in different colours.

Are there kids out there with lots of different Bumblebees in the same way that they might have a few Batman figures (except those are explicable as different uniforms)?

Old 2013-08-18, 11:15 AM   #50
Thunderwave
Gestalt

Upstate, NY

Quote:
Are there kids out there with lots of different Bumblebees in the same way that they might have a few Batman figures (except those are explicable as different uniforms)?
Yep. My son was obsessed with Bumblebee for a while. He wanted to try and snag every new mold that came out.

And then he stopped and started actually looking at the various toys, which made him pick and choose which Bumblebees to get so he could snag more variety from the other figures that come out.

Thunderwave is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2013-08-18, 11:42 AM   #51
numbat
Legends Class

Scotland, UK

There certainly is a dearth of new characters in Transformers nowadays. That's why I love RID Prime Voyager Thundertron so much. A totally new character, that turns into a robotic lion in a line full of relatively realistic earth vehicles, that's neither Autobot nor Decepticon but instead a brand new faction (Star Seeker), and is a peg-legged space pirate to boot (the transformation to robot requiring Thundertron to reove one of his feet to reveal the peg leg - classic!). Just how on Earth did that one come about? All of the Hasbro team's stifled creativity splashing out in one totally mental figure?

New sale thread added with a range of Transformers including Masterpiece, Botcon, CHUG, RID, Movies etc.

Looking for MP-11T Thundercracker and MP-9 Rodimus v2 (Takara version with as few QC issues as possible).

Check out my new sale thread now!

Also items on eBay.
numbat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2013-08-18, 01:34 PM   #52
Cliffjumper
Cellar Door

Smile

Quote:
Well, I meant more from the point of view of a gran or someone being told their grandson's always on about Bumblebee and just hooking whichever one she spotted first, but yeh, kids collecting and/or upgrading similar figures isn't impossible, certainly no weirder than other things they spend money on.

Old 2013-08-20, 10:44 PM   #53
Maz
Powermaster

London, UK
Default Transformers GT - Part 3

How do you spice up a Transformers niche sub-line that is struggling to garner attention and respect at a time when Takara Tomy, Hasbro and various 3rd Party companies are churning out all sorts of varied and quality product? Simple, add a villain. Not just any villain either, but that most iconic of Transformers despots, the Decepticon leader Megatron. In addition, make sure you promote the toys and series as widely as is appropriate, certainly to the most willing demographic; children and Japanese race fans.

Transformers GT – Part 3 | Source Blog <- CLICK TO READ

All the best
Maz

In-depth articles and reviews www.TF-1.com

Maz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2013-08-20, 11:03 PM   #54
Skyquake87
One with the Matrix

Its a shame Alternity hasn't set the world on fire. The impact of Classics, maybe? These GT versions of the Convoy mould do look awesome, but feel a bit...money for old rope.

Skyquake87 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2013-08-21, 05:08 PM   #55
Knightdramon
Primus

York, UK

While Alternity is one of my favourite lines, I still can't bite into the GT series.

For one, they're all [heavy] retools of Convoy, a mould I personally had broken TWICE exactly the same way. It makes me a bit weary that I have to pay 70-100 USD for a mould I am afraid of handling.

Moreover, the line [both as alternity and alternity GT] is full of straight up repaints, with four original moulds [five if you get technical and include the GT retool]. It gets stale really fast.

Possibly others share the same views as me, that's why the line isn't as popular as it should be. The positive thing is that, with Alternity and MP right now, the push for licensed cars, modern and vintage, is bigger than ever.

Old 2013-08-21, 08:22 PM   #56
Denyer
Shooty Dog Thing

UK

The designs just don't really connect with the iconic alt-modes for the characters they're applied to, which is always going to make for niche interest.

Old 2013-08-23, 09:20 AM   #57
numbat
Legends Class

Scotland, UK

I just don't think the moulds work for the classic characters they are being used for in this line. Plus, while it's nice to have a few repaints of a Seeker mould, using more-or-less an identical mould for Prime and Megatron plus any other characters just seems weird. I certainly wouldn't throw money at repaints normally, especially ones which are so poorly thought through with regard to connecting with the characters.

I'd love to see more licensed car collectors' Transformers (and Masterpiece seems to be going down this route, which is awesome, and suits me perfectly!), but I'd prefer they have some relevance to the classic characters they are used to portray. In the worst case though, they could at least differ significantly in terms of transformation, even if the same alternate mode is part of the line's gimmick!

So, yup, not for me.

New sale thread added with a range of Transformers including Masterpiece, Botcon, CHUG, RID, Movies etc.

Looking for MP-11T Thundercracker and MP-9 Rodimus v2 (Takara version with as few QC issues as possible).

Also items on eBay.
Old 2013-08-24, 02:20 AM   #58
Clay
"I've done better and got over it."

Murray, KY
Smile

From Maz's article:

Quote:
Collectors may have picked up Prime out of obligation, or maybe Saber due to the novelty and good looks, but it’s only when one puts all the Transformers GT cars together that the full effect and purpose of the line makes sense. These are racing cars, and every racing car needs rivals to race against. With three releases on the shelf now, a collector can produce a damn fine display and a solid attempt at a Super GT starting grid. Yes, they are all GT-Rs, but the liveries are so very distinct (with Prime and Megatron immediately recognisable) that a diorama will be anything but monotonous.
True, but there are other ways of building a race set. While I won't argue against the GT line having some of the best looking racing car decos for Transformers ever, using the same mold with only the heads and weapons changed gets monotonous very quickly, and downright poisonous at $100 per figure.

Compare the GT line so far with, for example, the Wreckers from Dark of the Moon. Leadfoot's availability and the mismatching of weaponized versus non-weaponized versions within the same size class aside, all three turn into a Chevy Impala in different ways. They're also far less intricate and delicate than the Alternity mold. It seems to me that, if Has/Tak wanted to put together a full racing set, that'd be a better way to go about doing it. Keep the complexity down to around Classics Jazz, license the car model, and then make six or seven different molds that transform different ways.

As the GT line is now, it's just too expensive for what amounts to a line of fantastically detailed repaints.

Clay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2013-08-24, 05:27 AM   #59
numbat
Legends Class

Scotland, UK

Yup - I really loved how different each of the DOTM Wreckers was from one another, despite having the same alternate mode. A real shame all three weren't available at Human Alliance Class, and it would also have been nice to have them all weaponized or all standard Impalas at the same size-class, but hey. For me what's interesting in a Transformer is the transformation and seeing where all the alternate mode parts go in robot mode. So in some ways having several Transformers with the same alternate mode but totally different robot modes is the total bees knees. Having several Transformers with the same alternate modes and robot modes just with different heads and colours though is really dull (unless it's well established such as with the Seekers - although, frankly, they're really being overdone these days and it's amazing the Classics Starscream mould hasn't totally fallen apart!).

Also items on eBay.
Old 2013-08-27, 09:46 PM   #60
Maz
Powermaster

London, UK
Default Just Say Yes - TFSource Article

“You’re stubborn as f**k and when people recommend things you deliberately avoid them”. Wise words from an old mushroom to his friend. You can’t really blame me, though, there’s just far too much to follow and give time to in the world of Transformers. Between the animated shows, the comics, vintage toys, modern toys, high-end collectibles, forums and intra-community ‘responsibilities’ – not to mention real life – picking up something new normally requires the dropping of something else. So what’s worth your time?

Just Say Yes | Source Blog <- CLICK TO READ

All the best
Maz

In-depth articles and reviews www.TF-1.com

Maz is offline   Reply With Quote