• transformers live-action movies
  • transformers fandom
  • transformers forum

Go Back   TFARCHIVE > TRANSFORMERS > Transformers Media & Fandom

Old 2015-06-28, 02:00 PM   #241
Knightdramon
Primus

York, UK

Ticket prices were what...35 pounds back and forth to Birmingham, last I checked?

Was not even aware of Comic con taking place here...

Few stuff in the UK to trade/sell. Measly sales thread.
Knightdramon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2015-07-13, 10:06 PM   #242
Terome
Indigent

Brighton

I have bought a ticket! My first Transformers meet-up might as well be the last Auto Assembly.

Terome is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2015-07-13, 11:44 PM   #243
Denyer
Shooty Dog Thing

UK
Thumbs up

Cool.

Denyer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2015-07-14, 06:34 AM   #244
inflatable dalek
Duke of Kidderminster

Kidderminster UK
Talking

Quote:
Originally Posted by Terome View Post
I have bought a ticket! My first Transformers meet-up might as well be the last Auto Assembly.
Excellent, you can be our Knightdramon substitute. Basically all you have to do is stand outside smoking 23 and a half hours a day.

We just need a Skyquake sub now. The main requirement is a nice and soothing voice.

inflatable dalek is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2015-07-15, 10:43 PM   #245
Denyer
Shooty Dog Thing

UK
Thumbs up

Thew's going to be there -- https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GGW--z78G64

Also nails part of why the Apollyon packaging feels cheap.

Old 2015-07-16, 09:02 PM   #246
Skyquake87
One with the Matrix

Hooray for Thew!

Skyquake87 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2015-07-17, 06:19 PM   #247
inflatable dalek
Duke of Kidderminster

Kidderminster UK

Furman's doing a panel on the Sunday looking at the end of Dreamwave and the start of IDW. Whilst it will presumably be from his (yes, as biased as anyone's but I think it'll still be worth hearing) perspective it looks like he's gotten hold of a lot of unseen work from various artists to show off as well.

I'm more interested in the early IDW days than the Dreamwave stuff which I think he's been fairly frank about before, there's likely to be more new stuff in the second half:

http://www.autoassembly.org.uk/new-s...assembly-2015/

Old 2015-07-17, 10:11 PM   #248
inflatable dalek
Duke of Kidderminster

Kidderminster UK
Exclamation

Aaaaand my now traditional pre-AA video:

Old 2015-07-18, 10:03 PM   #249
Denyer
Shooty Dog Thing

UK

Much like last time, not sure if there's anything toy-wise I'm after. Might look for a Squeeze-play or something of that vintage as a counterpart to Repugnus.

Definitely want to get a Milne print this time.

Old 2015-07-23, 05:56 PM   #250
Denyer
Shooty Dog Thing

UK

So, this is a thing... ?

http://www.tfnation.com/

Old 2015-07-23, 06:47 PM   #251
Rack 'n Ruin
Unregistered User

Debris, UK

Quote:
Originally Posted by Denyer View Post
So, this is a thing... ?

http://www.tfnation.com/
Interesting. I'll keep an eye out for news.

Wreck and Rule!
Rack 'n Ruin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2015-07-23, 07:32 PM   #252
inflatable dalek
Duke of Kidderminster

Kidderminster UK

One of their tweets proclaims they're not associated with any other convention, I don't know if that's a letter of the law kind of a truth (I'll be amazed if there's not some crossover of senior staff) or if this is genuinely an entirely new group that have just seen a gap and jumped in it. The later might explain why the name hasn't been carried over though (or indeed, why this is being announced now when it feels more like the sort of thing that a fuss would be made of at the end of AA).

Have to see how it goes, I know, especially after all the hotel trouble this year, that a lot of people were hoping for a new venue for whatever succeeded AA. As it's still local to me and means signing up for the Hilton rewards scheme wasn't a total waste of time I'm fine with that.

Old 2015-07-24, 01:39 AM   #253
Denyer
Shooty Dog Thing

UK

Rumour is TF@TM, which'd be good.

Old 2015-07-24, 02:29 PM   #254
inflatable dalek
Duke of Kidderminster

Kidderminster UK

I'm not familiar with them (bar seeing their stall at different AA's), but if there's a known quantity there that's a good thing.

Thinking on it: There's a practical reason for them keeping at the Hilton (though the official stance is apparently that it's a coincidence: They wanted it to be held somewhere central and that was the best hotel in the Midlands for an event like this. No idea how likely that is though) is that it's a known quantity with staff who are already used to putting on Transformers conventions. I wouldn't be in the least surprised if one of the AA people they do try to get onboard (if not already) is the one who worked with the hotel so they can take advantage of an already established relationship.

The downside is, by having it at the same venue with no gap between the last AA and the start of this new convention, is that it's basically going to be treated by people as AA under a new name. Which might be to their disadvantage as that means attendees are going to hold them to the standard of an event that's been running for a decade and was pretty well oiled by that point. Rough edges, a smaller scale (and I certainly would expect a lot less people to go, I can see many sitting this one out to see what the word of mouth is like before committing in 2017) and perhaps less impressive imported guests-- though I suspect the other person they'd be keen to get from AA would be the one with the best connections in the VA community-- are I think understandable but they might be setting themselves up for a fall in comparison.

Starting at a smaller venue and building up to the bigger one over a couple of years might have been a safer bet so as to make a firm clean break might have been for the better (all speculation and armchair quaterbacking of course, I'm certainly happy to give it a chance assuming that everything we hear as more is revealed sounds solid).

Old 2015-07-24, 08:48 PM   #255
Denyer
Shooty Dog Thing

UK

Quote:
Originally Posted by inflatable dalek View Post
the standard of an event that's been running for a decade and was pretty well oiled by that point
I realise I'm judging this on the last couple of years rather than any gradual improvement over the preceding ones, but compared to other comics/collectibles conventions AA is minor league. As in less than a thousand attendees versus tens of thousands, and in that decade has never AFAIK gotten in either of the voice actors that are really known outside of fandom.

At this point the main Transformers convention to watch seems to be TFCon. (And I'm saying that having gone to the trouble of getting hold of a BotCon exclusive for the first time this year).

Old 2015-07-25, 02:15 AM   #256
Sades
Ms. Snarkypants

In a hut by a river on top of a big ol hill.
Lightbulb

Yes.

Everyone should just come here from now on.

bookbookbookbookbookbook bookbookbookbookbookbook bookbookbookbookbookbook bookbookblaghbookbookbook bookbookbookbookbookbook bookbookbookbookbookbook bookbookbookbookbookbook bookbookbookbookbookbook bookbookbookbookbookbook
Sades is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2015-07-25, 10:23 AM   #257
inflatable dalek
Duke of Kidderminster

Kidderminster UK
Smile

Quote:
Originally Posted by Denyer View Post
I realise I'm judging this on the last couple of years rather than any gradual improvement over the preceding ones, but compared to other comics/collectibles conventions AA is minor league. As in less than a thousand attendees versus tens of thousands, and in that decade has never AFAIK gotten in either of the voice actors that are really known outside of fandom.
Oh sure, scale wise it doesn't compete with the big events (though I think very few conventions devoted to just one franchise could manage that sort of figure in the UK. Who of course-- there were 1500 a day at the 50th con I went to-- Star Wars maybe? Odd, there must be big Star Wars conventions over here but I don't recall ever hearing of them), but things generally run on time-- it was quite annoying last year that the schedule wasn't the elaborate work of fiction it previously was as I kept missing the start of things due to assuming they'd run late-- and smoothly with most of the problems seemingly down to the hotel side of things.

Indeed, based on fraught tweets I suspect if AA had continued they would most likely have moved to Wales where the main organiser now lives with few regrets.

The main sensible thing they seem to have done in retrospect is slowly build it up over years, going for a gradual increase each time (is: The first year at the Hilton they deliberately limited the number of tickets to only marginally more than the Holliday Inn could have taken rather than capacity) rather than taking a massive jump and finding themselves out of their depth. It'll be interesting to see if these new peeps, assuming no prior experience of organising something like this, handle going straight for the big convention hotel option.

In fairness to the choice of voice actors, Steve Blum and Neil Kaplan seem to have a large following amongst anime/computer game fans, no doubt some of the others do as well. Certainly I found friends I talked to were genuinely interested and excited by Michaelangelo being at one.

Non-TF fans with no interest in those genres would probably only be interested in Proper Optimus Prime (though I find saying you've met a Optimus Prime actor will usually impress people), though again conversations with people suggest they're more interested in the cars from the films being there, if Megan Fox won't come over then sniffing the seat she sat in is the next best thing.

Certainly compared to the NEC Comic Con I went to back in November-- which despite having been going for longer and being organised by a group that do many events all over the UK was a cluster****-- it usually runs pretty well.

Quote:
At this point the main Transformers convention to watch seems to be TFCon. (And I'm saying that having gone to the trouble of getting hold of a BotCon exclusive for the first time this year).
Yeah, when I finally sort out my passport and become rich, that's definately one I'd look into.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sades View Post
Yes.

Everyone should just come here from now on.
Hey, you said you were coming over here first! No fair! I'm not suffering Canada until you and Hound and Warcry have been through the pain of the Black Country.

Old 2015-07-27, 08:59 PM   #258
Denyer
Shooty Dog Thing

UK
Thumbs up

Memo to self -- Firestormers art.

http://steelandstarlight.com/

Also that Paddles art if Josh Burcham should happen to make it over.

Old 2015-07-28, 07:01 AM   #259
inflatable dalek
Duke of Kidderminster

Kidderminster UK
Red face

Oh my, that's just lovely.

Someone remind me to get a new copy of the Vault before AA, the slipcase on my tradition "Get everyone to sign" (probably for the last time as the blank spaces are pretty full now, it'll be time for something new at TFNation) copy is falling apart so I shoud swap that.

Old 2015-08-07, 03:58 PM   #260
inflatable dalek
Duke of Kidderminster

Kidderminster UK
Smile

One thing I've decided to do this year as I thought it'd be fun is book a commision from one of the artist alley peeps, I'm quite pleased with how the work in progress on my "Red Alert and Trailbreaker share a sad drink over the perils of being Lost Light Secuirty Chief" from Sprite is going:

https://twitter.com/Spriteling113/st...26476208521216

Red's expression in particular is fantastic.

I've also booked a Death's Head from Nick Roche (managing to get a slot as he didn't open his commission list till midnight meaning being on nights actually helped me for a change!), I wasn't going to go for any pro sketches this year as I've so many and thought it would be unfair to take up a place that a noob could fill.

Then I thought, "So it. It's the last one, let's have some fun".