Go Back   TFARCHIVE > TRANSFORMERS > Transformers Media & Fandom

Old 2014-04-01, 09:43 PM   #61
Clay
"I've done better and got over it."

Murray, KY
Smile

Quote:
Originally Posted by Warcry View Post
Do you think you'd be able to save up enough to make it a reality next year? The wife and I have always wanted to visit England and we figure this'd be a great event to plan it around (with some more typical touristy stuff crammed in before/after). And it'd be pretty awesome if we had a whole pack of out-of-country Archivers there all at once.
It's doable. I mean, I can afford the plane ticket now; it's just a matter of gauging how much the trip will cost once I'm there, and how many things break or get sick and zap savings in the meantime.

But even if I did have to travel around in the UK to say to hi to everybody, that's completely feasible to me. I say this as an American - the UK is tiny compared to what I'm used to. Here, I can drive for twelve hours in any direction and still be the States. According to distances given in google earth, you can travel from the South all the way to the Northern shore of Scotland in that amount of time. That's what I mean when I say it'd be "efficient" to meet forum members there. To me, everyone in the UK practically lives next door to each other.

Clay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2014-04-01, 10:31 PM   #62
Warcry
Likes Beast Wars toys. A lot.

Winnipeg, Manitoba, Canada
Smile

Quote:
Originally Posted by Clay View Post
It's doable. I mean, I can afford the plane ticket now; it's just a matter of gauging how much the trip will cost once I'm there, and how many things break or get sick and zap savings in the meantime.
Yeah, same here. The flight is expensive but doable. But factor in hotels and food and the price starts to add up (though it looks like hotel rates are reasonable there), and then there's transportation, souvenirs, admission for the convention itself and everywhere else we'll want to go...

That's why my wife and I made the decision now that we want to go next year even though it's like a year and a half away. It (hopefully!) gives us the time to ensure we've got enough money set aside to enjoy ourselves while we're there.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Clay View Post
But even if I did have to travel around in the UK to say to hi to everybody, that's completely feasible to me. I say this as an American - the UK is tiny compared to what I'm used to. Here, I can drive for twelve hours in any direction and still be the States. According to distances given in google earth, you can travel from the South all the way to the Northern shore of Scotland in that amount of time. That's what I mean when I say it'd be "efficient" to meet forum members there. To me, everyone in the UK practically lives next door to each other.
I feel the same way...in the amount of time it'd take me to drive to the next major city over I could travel from London to Edinburgh. I can't imagine how empty the western half of Canada or the US would feel to someone from Europe.

Warcry is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2014-04-01, 10:49 PM   #63
Knightdramon
Primus

York, UK

Travelling by car is [or should be] relatively easy in the UK. London to York, which is pretty far up either way, is less than 4 hours.

If you're at the mercy of railways though, at the end of a journey across the country you'll probably find that you could afford to BUY a used car

Assuming my circumstances change and I'm not the only fully employed yet homeless person in Europe in the coming years, there will be spare accommodation at my place, but as I said, York's far away from Birmingham.

Few stuff in the UK to trade/sell. Measly sales thread.
Knightdramon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2014-04-01, 11:10 PM   #64
Sades
Ms. Snarkypants

In a hut by a river on top of a big ol hill.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Warcry View Post
That's why my wife and I made the decision now that we want to go next year even though it's like a year and a half away. It (hopefully!) gives us the time to ensure we've got enough money set aside to enjoy ourselves while we're there.
This!

I'm really nervous about this entire thing, because I have a social anxiety issue. I used to get frequent panic attacks when faced with a roomful of people; as time's gone on, they've lessened but I never know when it's going to kick in and I'd really like to not look like a freak in front of everyone. I really want to hang out with peeps though... eh.

(when I say "lessened", I mean like I haven't had one in years. Not "I just had one at the grocery store last week!" so the chances are small. Still... )

We actually planned out most of our trip (budgetwise) last year (or was it the year before? I forget), when we thought we were going to be able to make it... we're just going to stay at the hotel for the duration of the con, then we might move somewhere else. I would like to go to London and do the tourist thing.

I don't know how much sightseeing we'll be able to get in. We're planning on hanging around for a week but it will ultimately depend on funds. It'd kind of suck to travel all the way to the UK and only stay for 3 days.

bookbookbookbookbookbook bookbookbookbookbookbook bookbookbookbookbookbook bookbookblaghbookbookbook bookbookbookbookbookbook bookbookbookbookbookbook bookbookbookbookbookbook bookbookbookbookbookbook bookbookbookbookbookbook

Last edited by Sades; 2014-04-01 at 11:32 PM.
Sades is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2014-04-08, 10:14 PM   #65
Ryan F
hunts pandas for lolz

I'm going this year, having never been to a convention in my life.

And because my friends are normal, and therefore have zero interest in Transformers, I will be on my own.

I've got a full weekend pass and a room at the Hilton for the weekend, but rather than wander around and be a Billy No-Mates it'd be good to maybe arrange to meet up with a bunch of you guys, if that's okay.

As I don't run a car (I sold it because my new office is a mile from my house) I'll be making the journey up on the train.

I have no idea what to expect, but at the very least I'm hoping to get a bunch of toys, because my local area (Braintree) is terrible for Transformers, unless of course you're after fifteen copies of the spiky Beast Hunters Bumblebee.

Ryan F is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2014-04-08, 10:27 PM   #66
Denyer
Shooty Dog Thing

UK

To give you some idea of the dealer section, which is about half of the main hall:

https://www.flickr.com/photos/30478561@N00/

Denyer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2014-04-08, 10:39 PM   #67
Ryan F
hunts pandas for lolz

Quote:
Originally Posted by Denyer View Post
To give you some idea of the dealer section, which is about half of the main hall:

https://www.flickr.com/photos/30478561@N00/
Wow, that looks pretty impressive!

Do people usually hang around the convention hotel for the full weekend? Is there enough stuff to see and do for the two full days, or is there time to slink off and have a quick look round the city as well?

Do people take their own food and drink from home, or eat at the hotel?

Cheers in advance!

Old 2014-04-08, 10:54 PM   #68
Sades
Ms. Snarkypants

I think I'm gonna cosplay as the Queen dressed as Starscream. Y'think that'll go over well?

Old 2014-04-08, 11:17 PM   #69
Denyer
Shooty Dog Thing

UK

I've always been disappointed with conference food at the Hilton, and the convention cafe area (set up to offer budget options) wasn't any better. The bar area is a bit of a rip-off apart from to people more familiar with London, but a slightly better prospect. Being a very short walk away from the the NEC there's always the option of fast food places such as Subway over by the train station.

2013 programme:
http://www.autoassembly.org.uk/AA201...3Programme.pdf

2014 FAQ:
http://www.autoassembly.org.uk/AA201...mationPack.pdf

If you're mingling as well there's probably enough to occupy you without heading over to the town centre. Parts of Birmingham are surprisingly roomy and not shit, and there's a smattering of museums and that type of thing if you're into it. I like to pop in and say hi to the mummified crocodile if I'm around their main council house.

edit:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sades View Post
I think I'm gonna cosplay as the Queen dressed as Starscream. Y'think that'll go over well?
Probably.

Old 2014-04-09, 01:09 AM   #70
Sades
Ms. Snarkypants

SWEET.

For the thems that are with the knowledges- How far in advance should we book a room at the Hilton? Do they tend to fill up quick?

Cosplaying as Doctor Who would be amusing too. Unless that is something that people just tend to do over there naturally. Which is how I imagine the UK: a nation of Doctor Who cosplayers.

Last edited by Sades; 2014-04-09 at 04:02 AM.
Old 2014-04-09, 01:01 PM   #71
Ryan F
hunts pandas for lolz

Quote:
SWEET.

For the thems that are with the knowledges- How far in advance should we book a room at the Hilton? Do they tend to fill up quick?

Cosplaying as Doctor Who would be amusing too. Unless that is something that people just tend to do over there naturally. Which is how I imagine the UK: a nation of Doctor Who cosplayers.
With regards to the hotel, once you've booked a weekend pass, AA will send you an email with hotel details etc. They are usually able to offer discounted rates on rooms, but they're still quite pricey.

Yes, everyone here in the UK cosplays as Dr Who. This is me:

Old 2014-04-09, 06:18 PM   #72
Rack 'n Ruin
Unregistered User

Debris, UK

You've absolutely nailed Christopher Eccleston there. Nailed it.

Wreck and Rule!
Rack 'n Ruin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2014-04-09, 07:18 PM   #73
Denyer
Shooty Dog Thing

UK

Quote:
Impression I get is -- yeah. There's another convention running at the hotel on the same weekend, same as last year. Quilting.

Old 2014-04-09, 09:49 PM   #74
Sades
Ms. Snarkypants

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rack 'n Ruin View Post
You've absolutely nailed Christopher Eccleston there. Nailed it.

QUILTING! Screw you guys, I'mma go quilt!

Seriously, quilting?

Old 2014-04-09, 10:00 PM   #75
Denyer
Shooty Dog Thing

UK

http://www.thefestivalofquilts.co.uk/

Old 2014-04-09, 10:13 PM   #76
Sades
Ms. Snarkypants

Heh, "FOQ"

I'm... actually kinda intrigued.

Old 2014-04-09, 11:17 PM   #77
Denyer
Shooty Dog Thing

UK

If anyone's trying to visualise the locale there's limited streetview because the NEC/station is really that close (ignore the marker, though -- basically go across a car park bit and follow a path through some trees).

http://goo.gl/maps/N1Mvh / http://goo.gl/maps/Z9qtB

Old 2014-04-10, 07:24 AM   #78
Sades
Ms. Snarkypants

Thumbs up

I also found this:

On the AA website. It might be useful to watch but be warned, if you get motion sickness this might not be the greatest thing for you.

Old 2014-04-11, 04:40 AM   #79
Sades
Ms. Snarkypants

Oh look, the title changed >.> <.< >.>

Old 2014-05-09, 03:26 PM   #80
inflatable dalek
Duke of Kidderminster

Kidderminster UK
Red face

Cassey Coller is the latest guest who has been added, looks like it's going to be a packed convention.

I'm actually getting paranoid about my hotel reservation as the Hilton is now fully booked on the Saturday. I know I did book and have just accidentally deleted the confirmation email, but there's that paranoid feeling that I only think I've booked and a wacky sitcom situation will ensue when I arrive on the Friday morning...

inflatable dalek is offline   Reply With Quote