Year of Series...

Figures, collectables, customs and collecting.
HotShot81
Protoform

Year of Series...

Post by HotShot81 »

Because I have a new job (whoot!) which pays me more money than my last one (double whoot!) I have more money.

As a reviewer I was impressed with the Platinum series Predacons. Nice die caste work, well worth the money. Now I know currently there is a Year of for both Starscream and Prime. I am just wondering if someone can tell me more about them. Are they worth the $100+ price tags?

I have no problem laying out real money for real bots if I see the materials are in them.
Clay

Post by Clay »

Starscream is just a re-release of the old Cybertron figure, but at double the price!

Year of the Horse Optimus Prime is the second Hasbro release of MP-10 Convoy. The first release was colored closer to the cartoon than the Takara version which favors the original toy, but the YOTH is a deco of questionable sanity. Clear trailer? Gold chrome on a visually-realistic truck?

Fantastic mold, though.
Warcry

Post by Warcry »

I think he might be in G1 colours too, not just a straight redeco? But either way it's a ridiculously overpriced brick by modern standards and by no means worth the price. My TRU has something like thirty of them filling up endcaps and the bottom row of the TF section and they're not going anywhere. I expect to still see them this time next year. If yours is the same, I'd recommend waiting until a really good sale if you want one.

YOTH Prime is less ridiculous, but they're also selling him for $30-ish more than the proper MP Prime retailed for. Since so many people couldn't find the actual toy and are "settling" for this the price seems a bit predatory to me, especially since either Hasbro or Takara is probably going to trot the mold out again in a year or two for another go in the colour scheme folks actually want.
HotShot81
Protoform

Post by HotShot81 »

Ah so there is no metal in them?:P
Clay

Post by Clay »

Warcry wrote:I think he might be in G1 colours too, not just a straight redeco?
It might be. Never cared to look, though. I thought it was overpriced crap when it came out in 2005. :p
HotShot81 wrote:Ah so there is no metal in them?:P
Starscream doesn't. I know the Takara version of the Prime mold has a little bit of die cast metal in it. I would assume this is true of the Hasbro version, but I'm not sure.