zigzagger
There ain't no Sanity Clause

Full preview now up @ Newsarama.

zigzagger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2014-04-14, 09:07 PM   #22
Denyer
Shooty Dog Thing

UK

Bit better. Will probably check this out in trade.

Denyer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2014-04-14, 11:52 PM   #23
zigzagger

Smile

Stone's art. I love it. It's so vibrant, and overall just plain fun to look at.

The story so far; it seems promising. I like the tone, anyway.

Not sure if I'm on board for this, though. May weigh in judging by how others felt (nothing against the creative team, but I'd still rather not commit to more than one book).

Old 2014-04-15, 08:23 AM   #24
Red Dave Prime
Assistant Comic Reviewer

Ireland

Like the vibe. Its different and a bit more of what I hoped to have seen from RID after its initial set-up to be honest. Starscream as a vicous, but efficient ruler is a great idea and the scene has an almost Game of Thrones vibe to it. Really like the artwork as well. Distinct from the other main artists but everyone is clearly recognisable.

I'm going to be an Optimist Prime for this one. Fingers crossed.

Red Dave Prime is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2014-04-16, 12:14 PM   #25
Terome
Indigent

Brighton

Yep, 'promising' is the word. I am now classing myself as a fan of Stone's work.

Terome is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2014-04-16, 01:01 PM   #26
tahukanuva
Human After All

Tennessee, US

I've just read it. It's pretty dang good; fun, intriguing, and some gorgeous and character-ful art. Full recommendation.

tahukanuva is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2014-04-16, 05:10 PM   #27
Red Dave Prime
Assistant Comic Reviewer

Ireland

Really liked it. Art Style, colouring, characters and plot all blend into an interesting slice of transformers. And too early to say yet I know, but this could be the best starscream ever.

Old 2014-04-16, 05:16 PM   #28
inflatable dalek
Duke of Kidderminster

Kidderminster UK

SPOILERS HO!

So, after all the fuss? Was Windblade any good then?

It was OK. It's was nice the female issue was dealt with in the way it always should have been (basically boiling down to "And why not?", mind, if other characters are going to keep asking about it, it'll get old real quick), the art was a nice change of pace and- assuming the other two books are going to be full on verbose wit and action respectively the more whimsical tone makes for a good contrast as well.

I also really liked the idea of the Cybertronian colonists, the fact all those who had left the planet had adapted their cultures and physiologies was the sort of thing RID tried to imply with the all the bonkers NAILs designs but never really did much with. I doubt (well, hope) that with only four issues this won't be making much play of being a stranger in a strange land either, but it could be an interesting avenue for whichever book picks up on Cybertron afterwards to follow through on (anything would be better than the poorly handled political stuff of the last year).

The big problem though is that the lead character is several pages behind the reader- we all know Starsceam is an untrustworthy bastard, everyone else on Cybertron knows it (which makes him not only being in charge again but that it's lasted six months even odder, does no one give a toss?), so all of her angst and back and forth over her working relationship with him really feels like treading water. Whilst it makes sense for someone new and who is presented as naive (frankly almost stupidly naive if it's taken her six months to reach this point), it doesn't make having to sit through her learning something everyone else has known for thirty years any less tedious.

Still, cautiously optimistic assuming that, with intros out of the way, things pick up a gear next month (the Barberish first person narration will hopefully be cut back on a lot as well, this is a character with not one but two confidents she can confide in, conveying her personality and beliefs can be done just as well through interaction than voiceover).

Mind, I really can't see it swaying anyone who wasn't expecting to enjoy it.

Oh, and it was nice at least one of the writers cares about the new Tankor toy enough to give him something more to do than a really forced "My name is Tankor and I am important!" moment. Best writing for Rattrap so far as well. As in all his words seemed to be written normally rather than in a desperate attempt to be phonetic.

inflatable dalek is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2014-04-16, 07:47 PM   #29
Knightdramon
Primus

York, UK

Not a bad issue, a very light read indeed.

It looks like it basically recycled all the pseudo political and "everyday peace" issues from RID though.

And yes; an echo on Starscream. It's pretty obvious that he's being set up as the guy that has done the badies but he hasn't actually done anything.

On Starscream's leadership---he actually is the lesser of all evils.

Bumblebee and Metalhawk are dead.

Optimus Prime probably still sees himself as a symbol of war, despite taken the mantle of Primes again, and would not be interested/know what to do in a time of peace with bots that weren't his soldiers to begin with. Or he might be preoccupied with hunting down the remaining Decepticons.

Rodimus probably opted out himself. I think he'd die of boredom trying to rule a planet, especially after going through all the crazy adventures in MTMTE. Plus, he's only so popular with the Autobots [it looks like no neutrals besides Cyclonus followed him on his first voyage] as he banked on the Prime suffix as well.

Megatron is publicly seen as the reason the planet collapsed on itself in war. I think he figured his best chance would be to travel with the only group of misfits more or less broken away from proper military protocol, to see if it suits him.

Stupid prophecies aside, Starscream -did- fight for the planet more or less in dark cybertron, and actively stayed around the civilians. So yeah, to the public eye, bad luck aside, he'd still be option 1.

Few stuff in the UK to trade/sell. Measly sales thread.
Knightdramon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2014-04-16, 08:32 PM   #30
Red Dave Prime
Assistant Comic Reviewer

Ireland

I think (and this is just my impression) that they want to potray Starscream as a bit of a Good Tyrant. He wants the city functioning again so his people are happy so that they allow him to remain in charge. I just got the feeling here and in the last few issues of Dark Cybertron that he is become more of a politician - and a corrupt one at that.

Old 2014-04-17, 02:33 PM   #31
Terome
Indigent

Brighton

Read it, enjoyed it. Not quite 'for me' but I have a reasonable idea of its target audience and I think it has served it well. If we compare it to The Death Of Optimus Prime of old, I think we're looking at a much better entry-level comic to bring in the new readers.

I don't have a problem with the Starscream thing as this is very consciously a jumping on point and there are a lot of Starscreams out there. Also there are several plausible in-story reasons why all this should come as a surprise to the naive Windblade - the NAILs seem to clearly outnumber the Autobots and Decepticons and she hasn't really spoken to anyone yet who isn't Chromia or Metroplex. She might not even have met Starscream before now.

I am guessing that Starscream isn't the guy behind the explosion we see here.

Really liked the art and character designs (though there were some pages that seemed to suffer from the inevitable time-crunch what looks like a very work-intensive colouring process), the characterisation of Metroplex, the motley 'on shelves now' supporting cast and the perfectly sensible, interesting and world-expanding backstory (though I was not expecting to learn about it all so soon).

Old 2014-05-08, 05:25 AM   #32
zigzagger

Default Transformers: Windblade #2

Transformers: Windblade #2 three-page preview by way of iTunes.

Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	windblade2 pg1.jpg
Views:	184
Size:	244.9 KB
ID:	10155   Click image for larger version

Name:	windblade2 pg2.jpg
Views:	184
Size:	244.7 KB
ID:	10156   Click image for larger version

Name:	windblade2 pg3.jpg
Views:	163
Size:	260.6 KB
ID:	10157  
Old 2014-05-08, 09:44 AM   #33
Red Dave Prime
Assistant Comic Reviewer

Ireland

Thats a bit disappointing. Art seems a bit off in parts, maybe a bit more rushed than the first issue. The starscream angle seems a bit heavy handed and while its cute that the reporter interviews the guys in the bar, it makes the story feel smaller in scale.

Still only a preview, but it didn't get me hyped for the issue at all.

Old 2014-05-08, 12:04 PM   #34
Death's Head
Gestalt

London

Is that Longtooth on Page 3, Panel 1!?

SMITH
Portfolio | Blog | Freelance Agent Brompton Rhodes - Guns, Girls and Gorillas!
Death's Head is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2014-05-08, 12:30 PM   #35
Rack 'n Ruin
Unregistered User

Debris, UK

Looks like some Longtooth visual references, but Blurr seems to be talking to Circuit. Is Longtooth Circuit's cameraman? Or is that what Circuit looks like now?

Wreck and Rule!
Rack 'n Ruin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2014-05-08, 12:38 PM   #36
Death's Head
Gestalt

London

According to the wiki yup, he's Circuit's cameraman.

Still looks freakish.

SMITH
Portfolio | Blog | Freelance Agent Brompton Rhodes - Guns, Girls and Gorillas!
Death's Head is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2014-05-20, 07:30 PM   #37
zigzagger

Full preview is now up @ Comics Continuum.

Out tomorrow.

Old 2014-05-22, 06:04 PM   #38
Terome
Indigent

Brighton

Okay, a lot less impressive that the first issue. The drawing's great, especially on Waspinator, but everything else is very thin. These television serial story beats really aren't enough for a comic.

Old 2014-05-24, 07:25 AM   #39
inflatable dalek
Duke of Kidderminster

Kidderminster UK
Smile

Thought it was a generally solid read, though I'm still hoping for a twist where Starscream isn't behind what's going on (why trust Waspinator anyway?).

I do think the political side of things is being handled much better than when it was RID's preserve, and it feels nice and pacey as well which is a bonus.

Though with all this talk of buying drinks... how is anyone making any "Money" (Energon chips?) in order to pay Blurr? He only ever seems to have the same six customers, if they spend all day getting pissed how do they afford it? Does Waspinator seem like a bot of limitless wealth?

inflatable dalek is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2014-06-11, 03:27 AM   #40
zigzagger

Default Transformers: Windblade #3

Transformers: Windblade #3 three-page preview is up @ iTunes.

Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	windblade3 1.jpg
Views:	144
Size:	260.0 KB
ID:	10183   Click image for larger version

Name:	windblade3 2.jpg
Views:	133
Size:	241.6 KB
ID:	10184   Click image for larger version

Name:	windblade3 3.jpg
Views:	122