• transformers cartoon
  • transformers live-action movies
  • transformers fandom
  • transformers forum

Go Back   TFARCHIVE > TRANSFORMERS > Transformers Media & Fandom > New Comics

Old 2014-06-11, 04:17 AM   #41
Blackjack
Micromaster

Haven't read a Transformers comic ever since Dark Cybertron started so I have no clue what is going on or who stereotypically-Japanese-fanwank-character is supposed to be but I can say that I like the art.

To those that has been following the comic: is it worth it to read Dark Cybertron? Or can I just jump back into MTMTE whilst ignoring it? Is RID still a contradictory mass of jumbled up ideas and continuity fixes no one cares about? Is this spinoff thing good?

Blackjack is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 2014-06-11, 03:03 PM   #42
Death's Head
Gestalt

London

I ignored Dark Cybertron for the most part, and thankfully it seems that More Than Meets the Eye is as well.

RiD I have no idea.

SMITH
Portfolio | Blog | Freelance Agent Brompton Rhodes - Guns, Girls and Gorillas!
Death's Head is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2014-06-11, 07:57 PM   #43
Denyer
Shooty Dog Thing

UK

Quote:
Originally Posted by Blackjack View Post
is it worth it to read Dark Cybertron?
Wasn't worth cover price and I wouldn't particularly recommend it.

RiD seems to be humans teaming up with Decepticons on Earth same-old same-old crap.

Denyer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2014-06-18, 07:27 PM   #44
inflatable dalek
Duke of Kidderminster

Kidderminster UK
Question

Was this not supposed to be out today? Doesn't seem to be on Comixology.

inflatable dalek is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2014-06-19, 05:02 PM   #45
Unicron
Time for plan bee-weeoop

Delayed till next week, so it'll be out with MTMTE

Unicron is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2014-06-29, 10:55 AM   #46
Knightdramon
Primus

York, UK

You know it's bad when nobody has commented on the actual issue 5 days after release.

Boring, pointless, inconsistent. -Definitely- written to attract a younger audience.

I just love how Starscream just changes personality and traits to each story he's written for. I think the longest he's been consistent with himself was RID with Barber.

Is this like the 3rd outing of the terrorcons? F*ck they're generic. First, "badasses" in Monstrosity, then morons in SL: Sixshot, then, part of some group with seacons [or look alikes that are part of a group with seacons], then...prime terrorcons in the sewers? I'm...confused.

The "gang" assembled should not go down as easily as it did, especially considering it outnumbered the terrorcons. The leader of the Dinobots should not fall like that to a genericon.

Rattrap with that torture zapper...what the f*ck?

I think the writer is just confusing/or being told to write things closer to Prime the TV show rather than the overall tone RID and MTMTE had.

And while we all love to bash Furman for rehashing and repeating ideas...isn't this the 3rd f*cking time Scott has written some beast looking/insect looking evil guys being underground and siphoning energon/dark energon? 3 out of 3?

Few stuff in the UK to trade/sell. Measly sales thread.
Knightdramon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2014-06-29, 01:09 PM   #47
Denyer
Shooty Dog Thing

UK

I like this in the same way I don't mind the Bumblebee miniseries taken as its own thing rather than particularly part of IDW continuity. And it's miles better than RiD was (and is) for my money. It's more of a short graphic novel than a monthly comic, though.

Capsule review: mostly harmless.

Old 2014-06-29, 05:26 PM   #48
inflatable dalek
Duke of Kidderminster

Kidderminster UK
Smile

I talked about this on Facebook but forgot to mention it here, pretty much agreed with Denyer, a fairly harmless read, though I can't comment on the similarities to Scott's earlier comics.

Old 2014-06-29, 05:46 PM   #49
tahukanuva
Human After All

Tennessee, US

She was part of the writing staff on Prime, which shows most clearly in Starscream (though he is being written similarly dialogue-wise in the current MTMtE flashbacks, and has had that self-deprecating edge for a while now).

Anyway, I'm really liking Windblade. All the characters are really fun. The plot's still pretty much a whodunnit, but it's a vehicle for a character interaction piece anyway, so eh. I'm glad it's gotten picked up for a second mini.

tahukanuva is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2014-06-29, 07:08 PM   #50
Terome
Indigent

Brighton

Harmless is right. Without the interesting art there wouldn't be much to remark on. While some of the movement and action isn't done as well here as in previous issues, it is very good.

Personally, I can buy Rattrap as someone who would resort to clumsy torture if he felt the situation called for it. He's always been a bit nasty.

Quote:
The "gang" assembled should not go down as easily as it did, especially considering it outnumbered the terrorcons. The leader of the Dinobots should not fall like that to a genericon.
Is Slag supposed to be anything special? I have the impression he's just a very unhappy person in a unit that relies more on dirty fighting and brutality than any particular skill. I'm more concerned that he's lost that unhinged, mystic air that Barber attached to him, which is a shame as it's the most interesting he's ever been.

Now Blurr, he's supposed to be some sort of superhero. He went down easily.

Terome is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2014-07-10, 04:40 AM   #51
zigzagger
There ain't no Sanity Clause

Default Transformers: Windblade #4

Transformers: Windblade #4 three-page preview by way of iTunes.

Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	WB 4 Pg1.jpg
Views:	177
Size:	194.3 KB
ID:	10240   Click image for larger version

Name:	WB 4 Pg2.jpg
Views:	172
Size:	265.6 KB
ID:	10241   Click image for larger version

Name:	WB 4 Pg3.jpg
Views:	194
Size:	270.0 KB
ID:	10242  
zigzagger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2014-07-23, 06:45 PM   #52
inflatable dalek
Duke of Kidderminster

Kidderminster UK
Smile

Spoilers Ho!

That was a pleasant surprise and the strongest issue out of the series, yes as a result of trying to watch so much Poirot in a short space of time the whodunnit became a bit obvious (the least likely person of course, it would have been more shocking if it had been anyone but Chromia) and Metroplex being a big mystical mystery who can only communicate through a third party felt a bit odd right after re-reading the ...Ocity stuff where he's really chatty.

However there's lots of good ideas it flowed well and I really liked the ending which was about characters having to learn to live with each other rather than blowing up stuff.

Old 2014-07-23, 07:22 PM   #53
Red Dave Prime
Assistant Comic Reviewer

Ireland

I'm less convinced by the series as a whole to be honest. I liked the art style throughout (issue 2 being a bit weak) but I found there were some weird things here that didnt gel. The metroplex as mystic is one, but I could sort of dismiss that as him being damaged and so unable or unwilling to communicate anymore. I also dont like the starscream stuff. Its not the character, more that so far IDW have failed to give any kind of reason why the general population would still follow him. I know he has to be somewhat evil and manipulative but He also has to be doing some good and this series merely stuck to the bad side (windblade doesnt know if she can thrust him which is odd because clearly no-one else does. So how is he still in power?)

And I have a slight issue with Windblade herself. First off, the city talker thing is a neat idea but how did she get the job? I think she implies in the first issue that Metroplex is her first one and the only other one she could have known is Caminus so what gives? Thats a minor niggle but it bugged me anyway.

More strange was her character itself - in Dark Cybertron and the few glimpses of her in RID, she is strong, vocal and somewhat stoic. Here she is outspoken, unsure, timid and almost submissive early on to Starscream. Given that this was the series to launch her what gives?

After reading the above you may get the impression that I didnt like this but I actually did enjoy it for the most part. Just there were a few things that didnt sit right with me and they took away from the series. Enjoyable but felt deeply flawed to me (there's other things I didnt like as well but I've typed enough)

Red Dave Prime is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2014-07-23, 10:23 PM   #54
Terome
Indigent

Brighton

Quite liked the conclusion. Found it satisfying probably because, like Dalek said, it was really about three personalities learning how to get along.

I think that making Metroplex a mysterious goddy thing is a much better idea than having him just be a big person from the beginning of time. It certainly smooths over the whole question of why he doesn't just tell everyone where the Knights are, what Primus was like, what kind of tea to buy etc.

Quote:
I also dont like the starscream stuff. Its not the character, more that so far IDW have failed to give any kind of reason why the general population would still follow him. I know he has to be somewhat evil and manipulative but He also has to be doing some good and this series merely stuck to the bad side (windblade doesnt know if she can thrust him which is odd because clearly no-one else does. So how is he still in power?)
See, the Starscream stuff has for me been one of the highlights. I can buy the basic premise that the NAILs are behind him as a protest vote or similar - he gave up his badge and stood behind the ideals of their guy Metalhawk - and having him as a villain that you can't simply shoot is an interesting place for the character to be in. All the people we've met who know better than to trust him are Autobots and Decepticons who have the full picture. And I really like the reveal here that his villainry has been fairly small-time and that, in fact, he might just be Cybertron's best hope at reunification.

I agree with your 'enjoyable but flawed' summary though I would like to see more from this team. Once they get a few series under their belt I think they will have it waxed.

Incidentally - Dalek, how was that -Ocity reread? I can't stand those things myself.

Terome is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2014-07-23, 10:45 PM   #55
Denyer
Shooty Dog Thing

UK

#4 did go a long way towards redeeming second and third parts that felt padded.

Not sure how far the cityspeaker concept will stretch... it's a heavily plot-resolving deus ex machina, just as Metroplex/Trypticon realistically would be.

Old 2014-07-24, 12:40 PM   #56
Blackjack
Micromaster

Mmm, an enjoyable read. It's a bit confusing the first time around because during the big revelation as Windblade is connected to Metroplex I was going all HOLY SHIT INJECTOR. On a reread, though I did enjoy the issue quite a bit. The vision combined speech makes it a bit confusing what she's referring to but I'm pretty sure that's just me. Overall pretty fun stuff. The Metroplex/cityspeaker combination bit does feel a bit of a random thing to be dropped on, but overall it's a satisfactory conclusion. Starscream was really fun throughout, even if I'm not sure how imprisoning Circuit, Longtooth, the Tankors etc who were, y'know, civilians, would hold up.

(My money initially was on a grief-stricken Ironhide trying to do something with Metroplex to get his vision of Gorlam Prime to work. Or the painfully obvious Rattrap. I didn't even consider Chromia!)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Red Dave Prime View Post
The metroplex as mystic is one, but I could sort of dismiss that as him being damaged and so unable or unwilling to communicate anymore.
That was my thought too, yeah. It doesn't particularly gel with the -Ocity series but in his other appearances in Spotlight Metroplex, the Ironhide mini and Dark Cybertron Metroplex was speaking in pretty vague generalisms and generally never stood down and spoken one-on-one with any character bar Alpha Trion (and even then offscreen).

Quote:
Originally Posted by Red Dave Prime
I also dont like the starscream stuff. Its not the character, more that so far IDW have failed to give any kind of reason why the general population would still follow him.
This. Considering how everyone was going 'Starscream you shit' back during Dark Cybertron when the Necrotitan blew everything up, I'm not sure why he is still in charge. I found that absolutely odd when I read Dark Cybertron after Windblade, and everyone was just going on and on about how Starscream sucks.

His characterization in this series is some of the better Starscream work I've seen, though.

Quote:
And I have a slight issue with Windblade herself. First off, the city talker thing is a neat idea but how did she get the job? I think she implies in the first issue that Metroplex is her first one and the only other one she could have known is Caminus so what gives? Thats a minor niggle but it bugged me anyway.
Yeah, I'm pretty confused what exactly made Windblade a Cityspeaker beyond "she's special", but presumably she's trained by Caminus? Did she actually live in Caminus itself? If so then she would be able to talk to a Titan no problem, but if Metroplex was her first, then it's just odd all around.

Might have to give the earlier issues and Dark Cybertron a quick reread to see if I've missed anything.

Quote:
More strange was her character itself - in Dark Cybertron and the few glimpses of her in RID, she is strong, vocal and somewhat stoic. Here she is outspoken, unsure, timid and almost submissive early on to Starscream. Given that this was the series to launch her what gives?
I took her being timid to Starscream early on as being subservient to the local governor or the local power. Whereas in Dark Cybertron there's not exactly anyone to order her around -- Ultra Magnus spent most of the time talking to Nautica and Chromia anyway -- so she doesn't exactly get to display that side of her. Now, after all the adrenaline (so to speak) had bled off and she's trying to find her niche in Cybertron she's just trying not to offend anyone since she's the new kid in the block.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Terome View Post
See, the Starscream stuff has for me been one of the highlights. I can buy the basic premise that the NAILs are behind him as a protest vote or similar - he gave up his badge and stood behind the ideals of their guy Metalhawk - and having him as a villain that you can't simply shoot is an interesting place for the character to be in. All the people we've met who know better than to trust him are Autobots and Decepticons who have the full picture.
I do quite like this take on the character very much as well. RID never quite sat well with me since killing Metalhawk and employing Rattrap aside, he's not quite feel devious enough to be Starscream. He just feels like your run-of-the-mill corrupt governor. Here, he actually does sound like Starscream and acts like Starscream if Starscream was a governor, which is good character-wise... but raises the problem Red Dave pointed above about why the hell is everyone still putting up with him.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Denyer
Not sure how far the cityspeaker concept will stretch... it's a heavily plot-resolving deus ex machina, just as Metroplex/Trypticon realistically would be.
Do agree that the cityspeaker bit does feel a bit deus ex machina-y. Isn't quite bad as it was in Dark Cybertron when she suddenly pops out of nowhere and goes 'hey guys I can talk to this titan, see?'

Blackjack is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 2014-07-24, 08:08 PM   #57
inflatable dalek
Duke of Kidderminster

Kidderminster UK
Smile

Quote:
Originally Posted by Terome View Post

Incidentally - Dalek, how was that -Ocity reread? I can't stand those things myself.

It's probably the very definition of a harmless comic, not something I'd really recommend (well, except maybe to someone who doesn't read the comics but did really love the cartoon) and I'm still not sure why they didn't just set it in the TV show universe (the first especially would barely need to be rewritten), but Livio has some nice stuff and it's and it doesn't take long enough to read to become really annoying.