• transformers fandom
  • transformers forum

Go Back   TFARCHIVE > TRANSFORMERS > Transformers Media & Fandom > New Comics

Old 2014-08-15, 10:59 AM   #21
inflatable dalek
Duke of Kidderminster

Kidderminster UK
Red face

According to Chris McFeely on Twitter, this is the best selling issue of a Transformers comic in seven years. Blimey.

inflatable dalek is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2014-08-15, 12:15 PM   #22
Auntie Slag
Satisfaction guaranteed !

Cambridge, UK
Lightbulb

Which seven years?

Auntie Slag is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2014-08-15, 12:53 PM   #23
Blackjack
Unashamed Movie Fanboy

Red face

Wat.

Blackjack is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2014-08-15, 03:04 PM   #24
Terome
Indigent

Brighton

Those are the Diamond sales numbers though - I can see this doing well in comic shops but I can't see it having the international clout on digital sales that MTMTE pulls.

That said - well deserved. I'm jonesing for an ongoing of this malarky.

Terome is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2014-08-15, 03:08 PM   #25
Auntie Slag
Satisfaction guaranteed !

Cambridge, UK
Smile

Quote:
Originally Posted by Terome View Post
I'm jonesing for an ongoing of this malarky.
I hope one of the Wreckers comes out with that one day!

"It's not until you're an adult you appreciate how awesome a dog is. Your dreams start dying, somebody cheats on you, bankers f*** up your pension. Then you come home and that dog's looking at you and he's like, 'Dude, you're awesome!' - Bill Burr

I re-invented my image so many times that I'm in denial that I was originally an overweight Korean woman. - David Bowie
Auntie Slag is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2014-08-15, 03:27 PM   #26
Terome
Indigent

Brighton
Default Transformers vs GIJOE #2

A preview (along with that for MTMTE #32) is up here on TFW:

http://www.tfw2005.com/transformers-...-joe-2-180970/

Still looking good, still buying those sandwiches. Getting all The Smelting Pool-like.

And why wouldn't someone bomb Typticon on sight?

Old 2014-08-15, 04:11 PM   #27
Blackjack
Unashamed Movie Fanboy

Smile

I still dislike the art and panel structures, but it seems to flow more cohesively and be a fair bit more interesting than the previous issues. Maybe because it seems to be more Transformers-centric?

Will be giving this title another chance for at least this month, if only to see the Joes drop tree bombs on Trypticon which I do agree is good fun.

Old 2014-08-15, 04:14 PM   #28
Terome
Indigent

Brighton

Quote:
Originally Posted by Blackjack View Post
I still dislike the art and panel structures, but it seems to flow more cohesively and be a fair bit more interesting than the previous issues. Maybe because it seems to be more Transformers-centric?

Will be giving this title another chance for at least this month, if only to see the Joes drop tree bombs on Trypticon which I do agree is good fun.
Good on you, Blackjack. I know it's not your cup of tea but it is fun reading what you have to say about it.

Old 2014-08-15, 05:52 PM   #29
Tripredacus
Micromaster

Buffalo

Hey that looks neat, like the old comics.

Tripredacus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2014-08-27, 04:40 PM   #30
Terome
Indigent

Brighton

It is in my hands! Spoilers to follow...

Great fun, not quite as spectacular as the last issue but then what is? Once again, this book shows up IDW's other books as here we get a Trypticon that is awesome, funny and bananas. I haven't actually read Primacy but I am betting none of those adjectives can be applied to its Trypticon.

I love how falling out of a space shuttle or blowing up is basically harmless to the Joes. There's such a great sense of playtime to the whole thing.

Very impressed by some of the panel gymnastics in the early pages but some stuff I'm not too sold on - the decision to make Devastator and Trypticon appear to be the same size is a little weird and the really distorted perspective on Megatron when, um, is it Clutch? fires on him. Calling this chapter 'Targetmasters' was quite Dreamwavey too. Eyebrow-raising but no biggie.

I'm pleased that we have an introspective Megatron who chastises Autobots for not respecting the dead in MTMTE and a full blown lunatic trophy-wearing Darkseid god-king over here. That contrast was one of the best things about Regeneration One in the early days.

Weird to see Cyclonus as a silent heavy again isn't it?

Old 2014-08-27, 04:42 PM   #31
Terome
Indigent

Brighton

Just have to give a shout-out to the RGB flashlights at the end there. I don't know why that gave me so much joy but it did.

Old 2014-08-27, 07:34 PM   #32
inflatable dalek
Duke of Kidderminster

Kidderminster UK
Smile

Quote:
the decision to make Devastator and Trypticon appear to be the same size is a little weird
Doesn't he say in the commentary that Devastator is flying so as to be closer to the camera rather than larger?

Basically more of the same, great silly fun (and really does show that it was the wrong choice for Reg to try so hard to avoid being retro, we've got a book here that's successfully doing nostalgia with a style that Transformers has never actually done before!), nice gags, nice bonkers ideas and some surprisingly nice bits of characterisation.

But, I still can't see this being sustainable for more than (at most) a six issue mini.

Old 2014-08-27, 07:48 PM   #33
Terome
Indigent

Brighton

Yeah, I got that it was an illusion. Just seemed like a weird decision. Not sure why.

Quote:
But, I still can't see this being sustainable for more than (at most) a six issue mini.
I can see the reason in that but I would like to see what happens after all the obvious story beats (Joes learn difference between factions, Decepticons team up with Cobra, etc.) have been rattled through.

Old 2014-08-28, 04:02 PM   #34
Blackjack
Unashamed Movie Fanboy

Smile

Um, yeah, there's this thing. Thought it flowed better and didn't jump all over the place like a hyperactive bunny compared to the first issue. There are some nice stuff there -- I liked how the Transformers and humans didn't understand each others' language and that the Transformers' language get turned into goobleydonk when we're looking at them from the humans' point of view. It's something that's going to get tired really fast, though, so I hope next issue we get it resolved.

Humans Who Don't Know Autobots Are Good Redux #26 is roll-eyes worthy, but I can live with it for now. (The Autobots reacting in bafflement at the humans are pretty fresh, I admit...)

I also find the idea of bombing Cybertron with plant bombs, copied from Beast Machines as it is, to be a nice little thing and extremely appropriate when used by humans against robots.

I liked the Perceptor scene, I guess? Also Megatron being a psychopath and shooting people randomly. Scarlett zipping around in her bike isn't bad either. Also, Mirage using his 'mirage' powers instead of just being invisible? I do love it when that happens.

I still think there's waaaay too many characters. None of the Joes stand out at all other than Scarlett and Flagg, and I don't particularly care when Random Bearded Joe #24 who we've never seen before until this panel suicide bombs Devastator and dies except nope not really he makes it out alive. Did the Joe that shot Megatron in the face survive? I don't know, I don't care, I don't even know his name. On the same token, anyone who's interested in GI Joe first and reads this won't give a shit that, oh, Scourge or the center Constructicon (Long Haul?) died.

The ones that do get attention -- Perceptor, Brawn, Mirage and Scarlett get a fair showing this time around, I think.

Yeah, the retro look... not really working for me at all. A lot of the art straight-out made me cringe at how terribly blocky they are. Devastator's head is ridiculously gigantic (and ugly in general), the scene of Devastator disassembling is just awkward to look at, Cyclonus and the Insecticons straight-up look like a five year old drew them, Devastator punching through the Joe ship looked bad. And a bunch of the dialogue is rendered as ridiculously gigantic sound effect things -- Scarlett shouting Wild Bill's name, Devastator saying his name, Megatron going all 'Mirage' and all that... I just can't bring myself to like it.

Yes, yes, retro, I realize... doesn't mean you have to intentionally draw the robots like a child's poorly proportioned scribbles. Look at Trypticon. He looks retro and he looks great. So did the four Autobots and most of the humans. You don't have to intentionally disfigure them like Cyclonus and Insecticons... it's just freaking painful to look at and looks a lot worse than the actual Marvel art produced in the 80's. I can draw better than that and I'm not even trained to do art.

I'm not sure why the Decepticons that turn into jets fly around in little Star Wars platform things.

Also, the dialogue just makes me cringe. It's like golden age old -- which is retro I guess? And it just flows badly and feels unnatural as we jump from intentionally-bad-flowery dialogue to more conventional ones.

In my opinion this one flowed a lot better than issues #0 and #1, both which basically gave me a migraine after finishing it. Did drag along a little though. Overall I still don't like it -- neither the pacing nor the dialogue nor the art appeal to me, and especially compared to the strong MTMTE issue and the pretty good RID one I read just moments ago, this one just feels really bad in comparison. It's just not for me, I know, but hey, opinions.

Old 2014-08-28, 05:33 PM   #35
Terome
Indigent

Brighton

Glad you're finding a couple of things to like in here. Most of the things you single out as annoying I found to be pretty funny.

I agree that I had no idea who most of the Joes were and if the Wild Bill moment was a reference to something then it was lost on me. I imagine that GI Joe fans probably feel the same way about the Transformers characters. I do quite like the sensation of 'Who the hell is that guy?' I think Thundercracker and Skywarp were like that to me up until I started reading TMUK fanfic. I'm thankful for the File Card device which serves as some acknowledgement that we shouldn't necessarily be able to tell one Insecticon from another without checking back to reference.

Quote:
Also, the dialogue just makes me cringe. It's like golden age old -- which is retro I guess? And it just flows badly and feels unnatural as we jump from intentionally-bad-flowery dialogue to more conventional ones.
I dunno, this is punchy stuff compared to the standard Jack Kirby comic.

Quote:
I'm not sure why the Decepticons that turn into jets fly around in little Star Wars platform things.
I think that's deliberately odd and that the little platform things are also Decepticons.

Quote:
The ones that do get attention -- Perceptor, Brawn, Mirage and Scarlett get a fair showing this time around, I think.
Yeah, despite the large cast list there aren't many protagonists and the intentions of each are very clear. I like how Flagg is a background character for this issue and presumably Wheeljack is going to be a protagonist in the next issue even though he was barely a presence here.

Quote:
I also find the idea of bombing Cybertron with plant bombs, copied from Beast Machines as it is, to be a nice little thing and extremely appropriate when used by humans against robots.
Scioli's pretty new to Transformers and although he's done a lot of homework I do wonder if he's found Beast Machines. This does seem to be a deliberate echo of that situation.

Old 2014-08-29, 04:30 AM   #36
Blackjack
Unashamed Movie Fanboy

Smile

Quote:
Most of the things you single out as annoying I found to be pretty funny.
We have to agree to disagree then... not trying to attack you personally or anything like that, but the things I found annoying, well, I found them to be really annoying. Just differing tastes, I suppose.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Terome
if the Wild Bill moment was a reference to something then it was lost on me.
Wild Bill's an actual first-year/second-year G.I. Joe character and I'm pretty sure it's just a moment to make him look cool... I just don't care about him because other than being in the background in other Joe crossovers I've never seen him do anything before until now.

Besides if it's supposed to be a reference I'm sure the commentary would point it out.

Quote:
I'm thankful for the File Card device
It helps to tell everyone apart for first-timers, though the Transformers arguably got it better -- there are less than a dozen Transformers in any issue, and they're mostly distinctive from each other. The Joes, though? I glanced at the TFWiki page and there are nearly thirty in this issue alone and none of them stand out other than Scarlett and Wild Bill.

Quote:
I dunno, this is punchy stuff compared to the standard Jack Kirby comic.
Really? I've never read a Jack Kirby comic in my life...

I did read a fair bit of golden age DC comics, and I don't think any had dialogue that made me as irritated as this, though.

Quote:
I think that's deliberately odd and that the little platform things are also Decepticons.
If it's deliberate then it's kind of dumb IMO. It's bad enough that they're drawn horribly...

Eh, it's a relatively minor niggle, I guess.

Quote:
Scioli's pretty new to Transformers and although he's done a lot of homework I do wonder if he's found Beast Machines. This does seem to be a deliberate echo of that situation.
I think it's just a coincidence -- most of their commentary reference nothing but the Marvel comics and the 80's cartoon -- though I wouldn't put it past Barber to suggest the idea.

Old 2014-08-29, 10:14 AM   #37
Terome
Indigent

Brighton

Quote:
We have to agree to disagree then... not trying to attack you personally or anything like that, but the things I found annoying, well, I found them to be really annoying. Just differing tastes, I suppose.
No offense taken! Not out to convert anyone. I'm having fun discussing this over with you.

Quote:
Really? I've never read a Jack Kirby comic in my life...

I did read a fair bit of golden age DC comics, and I don't think any had dialogue that made me as irritated as this, though.
There are some cracking examples of Kirby unleashed over in this exhaustive essay about his 2001: A Space Odyessy adaptation:

http://sequart.org/magazine/20670/on...ey-adaptation/

Quote:
Wild Bill's an actual first-year/second-year G.I. Joe character and I'm pretty sure it's just a moment to make him look cool... I just don't care about him because other than being in the background in other Joe crossovers I've never seen him do anything before until now.
I realise now that he had some sort of role in Ancient Relics that I can't quite remember. I wonder if he will do anything again in this series.

Quote:
I think it's just a coincidence -- most of their commentary reference nothing but the Marvel comics and the 80's cartoon -- though I wouldn't put it past Barber to suggest the idea.
I agree that's probably the case. Though if this series does make the double digits and Scioli becomes more immersed I can see Beast Wars coming up in a more obvious way. I wouldn't be surprised if Animorphs and Rock Lords crop up by the end...

Old 2014-08-29, 11:19 AM   #38
Blackjack
Unashamed Movie Fanboy

Smile

Quote:
No offense taken! Not out to convert anyone. I'm having fun discussing this over with you.
Yeah, I'm happy to discuss something with someone I have the polar opposite opinion of without it devolving into a flame war.

Quote:
There are some cracking examples of Kirby unleashed over in this exhaustive essay about his 2001: A Space Odyessy adaptation:
Glanced through the panels and it looked a lot better than the GI Joe/Transformers stuff... looks a lot better than the madness in the crossover, certainly.

Quote:
I realise now that he had some sort of role in Ancient Relics that I can't quite remember. I wonder if he will do anything again in this series.
Hopefully? If they made Wild Bill important in this chapter and not reuse him in subsequent issues it would mean we'll just be jumping from random Joe to random Joe and just going 'look at this cool guy' and then 'look at this other cool guy'.

Quote:
I agree that's probably the case. Though if this series does make the double digits
Is there any actual number of issues planned out by IDW yet? 6? 12?

Old 2014-10-13, 08:08 PM   #39
inflatable dalek
Duke of Kidderminster

Kidderminster UK
Smile Transformers Vs. G.I. Joe #3

[I assume Terome hasn't gotten around to starting this due to spending his time making two hour YoUtube videos that-annoyingly- have better picture quality than mine ]

Only managed to find the time for this today (I'm a busy man!). Have to say, I think this is the point the gag starts to wear thin, there's nothing inherently wrong here and it's as good as the previous two issues, but there's only so far you can stretch this conceit and I think this is where it starts to show. A few nice gags aside (Bumblebee's head as a necklace!) it's more of the same. I really can't see this being sustainable past a six issue mini.

Old 2014-10-13, 09:48 PM   #40
Terome
Indigent

Brighton

Quote:
Originally Posted by inflatable dalek View Post
[I assume Terome hasn't gotten around to starting this due to spending his time making two hour YoUtube videos that-annoyingly- have better picture quality than mine ]

Only managed to find the time for this today (I'm a busy man!). Have to say, I think this is the point the gag starts to wear thin, there's nothing inherently wrong here and it's as good as the previous two issues, but there's only so far you can stretch this conceit and I think this is where it starts to show. A few nice gags aside (Bumblebee's head as a necklace!) it's more of the same. I really can't see this being sustainable past a six issue mini.
I hadn't gotten around to it as my PC was stolen some time ago and as soon as I got a new one I started cranking out two hour Youtube videos with sleek, silky picture quality. Also I appear to be in South Africa. I have read it now.

Disagree on the premise wearing thin - I was pretty excited by the elasticity of the design on this one. The attack on the USS Flagg was kind of spectacular but the map was the real highlight for me. Also, the false endings and the bizarre 'silent moment' bit had me in polite applause.

Hell, now I'm getting started, there are those six file cards for Destro, the Sharkticon sequence, the 'a Real American Hero' tagline and the line 'No mercy from Percy.'

See I don't think of this is about Transformers or GI Joe. This comic is about wacky experiments with and contortions of the licensed action book form. That is like catnip to me. This issue made it seem like Scioli is just warming up.

Only bit I didn't like - 'Energonic boom!' Felt like it was one reference too many. Not sure why.