Go Back   TFARCHIVE > TRANSFORMERS > Transformers Media & Fandom > New Comics

Old 2014-10-15, 07:50 AM   #41
inflatable dalek
Duke of Kidderminster

Kidderminster UK
Smile

Quote:
Originally Posted by Terome View Post
I hadn't gotten around to it as my PC was stolen some time ago and as soon as I got a new one I started cranking out two hour Youtube videos with sleek, silky picture quality. Also I appear to be in South Africa. I have read it now.
I like the use of the word "Appear" there, as if it all might be a fiendish Mission Impossible style trick to fool you into admitting your crimes.

I might experiment with doing my next video on my phone, with screen mirroring I can have it on the TV as I'm recording so as to keep an eye on the picture and the camera should be better than the inward facing one on my tablet (though why are the "Selfie" cameras not as good as the outward facing ones on these devices anyway?).

As for the comic... I don't know, it just feel like variations on the same theme. Take an established Joe/Transformers idea, put a bonkers twist on it, them rinse and repeat. It's also starting to feel a bit as if by throwing every idea that goes through the heads of the authors into the comic none of them are going to be explored properly before the next 50 mad bits arrive.

By itself though, it's still good fun. It just needs to settle and do something other than be Bonkers now.

inflatable dalek is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2014-10-15, 06:45 PM   #42
Terome
Indigent

Brighton

Quote:
Originally Posted by inflatable dalek View Post
I like the use of the word "Appear" there, as if it all might be a fiendish Mission Impossible style trick to fool you into admitting your crimes.
They are doing a decent enough job with the deception, the general sense of menace is intact, though a lot of the restaurants are different. Next time, chumps!

Quote:
I might experiment with doing my next video on my phone, with screen mirroring I can have it on the TV as I'm recording so as to keep an eye on the picture and the camera should be better than the inward facing one on my tablet (though why are the "Selfie" cameras not as good as the outward facing ones on these devices anyway?).
This sounds suspiciously like wizardry. You mean those cameras on all these old phones I've got lying around can be used as actual cameras? Now I just need some precious little stands.

Quote:
As for the comic... I don't know, it just feel like variations on the same theme. Take an established Joe/Transformers idea, put a bonkers twist on it, them rinse and repeat. It's also starting to feel a bit as if by throwing every idea that goes through the heads of the authors into the comic none of them are going to be explored properly before the next 50 mad bits arrive.

By itself though, it's still good fun. It just needs to settle and do something other than be Bonkers now
Does it? I mean, does anyone care about where the plot is going? I'm not here to see if Wheeljack is okay or if Snake Eyes has joined Cobra or not. I want something to move us from one weird set piece to another. It's like a musical but instead of songs we've got comics gymnastics.

Terome is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2014-10-18, 04:01 PM   #43
Blackjack
Unashamed Movie Fanboy

Red face

I had a long, well typed out review thing going on but Google Chrome ate it. So, eh, have it in point form.

Basically the thought of yet another issue devoted to reviving another dead character galled me so much. Rewind was relatively well-done, but Wheeljack's death was one of the better parts of Robots in Disguise, and since it's apparently just going to be 'Wheeljack comes back to life, sets off Combiner Wars', screw that shit.

Stuff I like:
  • Doctor Venom and Shipwreck's scene, and Venom shooting that Dreadnok in the head, is relatively well done. I have no idea if we've seen Venom before, and why the other Joes are such assholes to him, but I do like the scenes with him.
  • The un-twist about Hawk dying isn't something I didn't see coming, but I thought the 'will this series do it or not' in regards to killing Hawk off was actually pretty good, what with them killing Bumblebee one issue in.
  • Straxus cackling in the background is funny as hell
  • Shockwave going all angry about Soundwave was a bit off before we learn that Soundwave is Shockwave's brother in this continuity
  • Metroplex as this city that crawls through Cybertron like a starfish is a great concept
  • The Dinobots' caveman language being justified as them not learning the language is a good one
  • VAN DAMME
  • Sharkticon pool is random and I like it
  • Destro's intro with the multiple file things is great "Gun Maker!" "Life Taker!" "Money Raker!"
  • Destro's entourage dying from the space bridge
  • The Joes tearing Wheeljack apart is pretty horrific despite the bad art

Stuff I don't like:
  • Pacing is still shit
  • Story is still shit
  • Giant letter things are still shit and pretty stupid, especially in that page where Brawn, Mirage and 'Percy' jump and charge at the Joes. 'No Mercy From Percy' is incredibly wince-inducing.
  • Art is unbelievably shit -- the aircraft carrier in the early pages look like a five year old drew it in under five minutes, Swoop looks like poop as well. Could go on and on.
  • The Bumblecycle is ridiculous
  • Grimlock's turtleneck jaw thing is stupid
  • Destro literally just pops out of nowhere and heads off to Cybertron
  • Destro seems to be just shoved in because the writers like him and want to make him THE awesome human thing that Megatron somehow really is impressed of
  • The battle between Brawn's team and the Joes are unbelievably stupid. Not just because it's 50% POW BAM BOOM, but I can't believe that the Joes actually manage to kill the Autobots that easily. Do like the little eulogy to their fight, though
  • So many things going on -- Grimlock's party, Brawn/Wheeljack/Scarlett's party, the Baroness, Hawk, Megatron and Destro, Starscream and Shockwave, Soundwave and Venom... and since the authors basically just go 'hey these two guys wiped each other out in an anticlimatic fight' with one of these groups, and while it's a nice subversion sort of, I'm not having much confidence we'll get anything good out of the rest of this thing.

Overall? I still think this is a disjoined thing, and definitely worse than the previous issue but at least it is trying to be as insane as possible. Still dislike it strongly, but I've read worse -- unlike the first two issues, this one doesn't give me a headache, and there are two points that I actually giggled (VAN DAMME and Straxus laughing) so this is the only one in the series that got me to do that, so it's got that going for it.

Blackjack is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2014-10-18, 04:12 PM   #44
Terome
Indigent

Brighton

Quote:
Originally Posted by Blackjack View Post

Stuff I don't like:[LIST][*]Pacing is still shit
It's weird as hell, and while I know it's deliberate it does feel like something that maybe shouldn't be twisted about this much.

Quote:
[*]The Bumblecycle is ridiculous
It really is, and is a good example of Dalek's complaint of setting up something for it to go nowhere. The Sepentress VS Flagg panel was fun but I was left wondering if that Bumblecycle will be a thing or if it's over now.

Quote:
[*]Destro literally just pops out of nowhere and heads off to Cybertron[*]Destro seems to be just shoved in because the writers like him and want to make him THE awesome human thing that Megatron somehow really is impressed of
We did see him earlier but his status as The Coolest Guy has only just been established. I don't know much about the character's history but I am guessing that the idea that he is partly mechanical isn't an invention of this series. Either way, it felt like Cobra, having set up a relationship with the Decepticons through Starscream, would send their ancient cyborg guy to chat with Megatron.

Quote:
The battle between Brawn's team and the Joes are unbelievably stupid. Not just because it's 50% POW BAM BOOM, but I can't believe that the Joes actually manage to kill the Autobots that easily. Do like the little eulogy to their fight, though
Looked like some kind of... Kryptonite arrow? I did quite like the PEW PEW PEW ALL DEAD NOW feel of that page put it might have been helped with a little bit more space. I am going to go out on a limb here and say that everyone involved is probably fine. The toy-logic of the story seems to say that everyone is invincible unless there is drama involved.

Terome is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2014-10-18, 04:38 PM   #45
Blackjack
Unashamed Movie Fanboy

Quote:
Originally Posted by Terome View Post
It's weird as hell, and while I know it's deliberate it does feel like something that maybe shouldn't be twisted about this much.
Yeah, there's too much going on, and despite it being deliberate I think this issue just goes all haywire with the pacing. I thought it would do a lot more good just focusing on the Earth cast and maybe Destro/Megatron, and leave the rest of the Cybertron party for the next issue.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Terome
We did see him earlier but his status as The Coolest Guy has only just been established. I don't know much about the character's history but I am guessing that the idea that he is partly mechanical isn't an invention of this series. Either way, it felt like Cobra, having set up a relationship with the Decepticons through Starscream, would send their ancient cyborg guy to chat with Megatron.
In the stories I've read Destro has always had a metal mask burned onto his face, though I'm not sure if he's a cyborg or not.

I do like the fact that Destro is established as The Coolest Guy, but the story's building up to Mary Sue him to death and I don't like that. I didn't quite catch if Destro is working with the Decepticobra (which is as stupid a name as any, by the way) led by Baroness, or if he's his own party, but I guess they're all on the same Decepticobra side.

The fact that we jump from Duke infiltrating Cobra in the middle of the Baroness assault straight into 'HEY LOOK DESTRO' is just jarring and pretty bad pacing IMO.

Quote:
Looked like some kind of... Kryptonite arrow?
It looked like a Green Arrow style 'grenade at the tip of an arrow', which doesn't look like it could take out all three Autobots.

Quote:
I did quite like the PEW PEW PEW ALL DEAD NOW feel of that page put it might have been helped with a little bit more space. I am going to go out on a limb here and say that everyone involved is probably fine. The toy-logic of the story seems to say that everyone is invincible unless there is drama involved.
I liked the final panel, but the battle really felt like the writers just trying too hard to subvert the 'epic fight' thing (despite wasting an entire page for NO MERCY FROM PERCY) with just a bunch of words, and completely failing to do anything but look ridiculously inept.

And, yeah, they're all probably fine. Or dead. I don't really care either way.

Personally feel the story would be more interesting if they're all dead, if the good guys are going to have to deal their friends killing (and getting killed by) the friends of the other good guy team, and vice versa, and it's certainly something no Joe crossover had done before, but I'm not sure if this series is going to touch upon that, or even do it well beyond going all 'WELL NOPE WE'RE JUST GOING TO SUBVERT EVERY TROPE AND JUST SOLVE IT IN ONE PANEL' like every damn thing that's been going on in this series.

Blackjack is offline   Reply With Quote