• transformers live-action movies
  • transformers fandom
  • transformers forum

Go Back   TFARCHIVE > TRANSFORMERS > Transformers Media & Fandom

Old 2014-06-23, 05:58 PM   #21
Blackjack
Unashamed Movie Fanboy

Talking

Apparently my country is one of the few that's getting the movie's premiere two days before the rest of the world.

Sometimes the universe works in my favour.

Blackjack is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2014-06-24, 03:54 PM   #22
Neuronutter
Gestalt

Halifax, NS

Quote:
Originally Posted by Skyquake87 View Post
Agreed on the Marvel movies. I really enjoined ASM 2, but jesus it was long. Including trailers and adverts, I was in the cinema for three and a half hours!
ASM2 wasn't a Marvel studios movie, it was Sony. Also, I don't really see the need for most movies to be more than 90 minutes long. Unless you are making something epic then 90-120 minutes should be enough.

So how many on these boards are going to see TF4? I disliked 2 and 3 so much that I've been put off of the franchise. A change of director and direction would've gone a long way towards convincing me to give the series another go but until something changes I'm not going to bother. Plus the trailer was awful.

Neuronutter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2014-06-25, 04:02 AM   #23
Blackjack
Unashamed Movie Fanboy

Talking

Quote:
Originally Posted by Neuronutter View Post
So how many on these boards are going to see TF4? I disliked 2 and 3 so much that I've been put off of the franchise. A change of director and direction would've gone a long way towards convincing me to give the series another go but until something changes I'm not going to bother. Plus the trailer was awful.
ME ME ME ME

I still unashamedly like the action scenes and explosions in the Bay movies even if storytelling isn't his main suit.

Plus Dinobots!

Old 2014-06-25, 06:06 AM   #24
Skyquake87
One with the Matrix

I will be going to see it. Like Blackjack, I'm aware that these are just flashy rubbish, but its very impressive flashy rubbish.

I just hope its a bit brighter than DOTM was.

And, again, LIVE ACTION DINOBOTS!!!!

Skyquake87 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2014-06-25, 10:19 AM   #25
Blackjack
Unashamed Movie Fanboy

Talking

Like I mentioned before my country gets AOE early and I have watched it, and I love it! Unexpected hints at an origin story, references to stuff all over from Beast Machines to Animated to MTMTE. A more cohesive story and a villain with motivation.

I watched no trailers other than the first, and while toy news did spoil some of the character names I went in practically unspoiled on anything and enjoyed this movie immensely.

Spoilers from here on out.

SPOILER! (select to read)
There are some stuff I hate, mostly pertaining with the humans. Cade Yeager, the hero, flip-flops from being a less-annoying version of Lennox to being more annoying. Some particularly grating parts includes getting into verbal fights with his daughter's boyfriend, and one particularly cringe-worthy one was with his daughter while they were in a life-or-death situation. He generally comes off as a likable, if a bit of a doofus parent.

The daughter is fairly unbearable, though, throwing tantrums in practically every scene. Also looks a bit too old to be playing a 17-year-old. Thankfully she's not in it a lot. Michael Bay actually pokes fun at his normal filmmaking by having the father ordering her to get rid of the mega short shorts within five minutes of meeting her.

The 'main' human villain, Joshua? Joyce? Something whatshisname, is an annoying little shit that alternates between a dipshit businessman before inexplicably redeeming himself and turning the tables. It's really quite annoying how Optimus and the rest just forgives (well, ignores) him being complicit in the whole hunting-down-Autobots thing. 'Transformium' is kind of a cringe-worthy name as well.

Some scenes' pacing came off weird. Optimus Prime was all 'I'LL KILL THEM ALL' when assaulting the factory, but after wrecking it and getting into a verbal confrontation with Joshua just... sulks away without levelling the compound? The humans at one point get into a car while evading Lockdown's ship instead of one of the four or five Autobots around. Not a big fan on how Optimus handled the situation with Grimlock -- he just revived them, and then beats Grimlock up and sort of gang-presses them into helping out.

Human parts at the beginning are quite long-winded, really. There was an annoying human character similar to Leo in the second movie but he got killed graphically by Lockdown. Which is nice.

On Lockdown's ship he's got faceless Transformers, half-organic robot hyenas... and these stupid-looking things with these googly eyes which was a big what-the-hell moment. They look stupid.

There's also a fair amout of scenes devoted to humans fighting humans, but at least unlike DOTM which spent like two minutes showing people parachuting, at least this is a well-scripted action scene on top of the rooftops which was quite tense.

Not a big fan on how plain Lockdown and Galvatron's kibble-less designs were in robot modes, but Galvatron at least has an excuse.

Other than Ratchet, Brains and Leadfoot practically everyone else (humans included) are not mentioned. We could assume that Cemetery Wind and/or Lockdown got to everyone else (Sideswipe, Dino, Roadbuster, Topspin and Wheelie by my count, plus maybe Skids, Mudflap and Jolt) and no mention is made of their former human allies. NEST was mentioned as being dissolved, though I suppose the Autobots wouldn't involve their former allies for fear of harming them.

Also not sure what's up with the backstory. Are they ignoring the Allspark and Primes in favour of the Knights of Cybertron? Cause they're around. And, oh, the 'Creators' (who are organic but unseen) are also mentioned and brought about dinosaur extinction which I am unsure whether it meshes with the other fifty hundred times that Transformers visited our world in the past.

There were real life dinosaurs shown being killed by the cyberforming bomb. One of the scientists discover their remains but it's a red herring for the Dinobots' true origin (they're prisoners aboard Lockdown's ship and turn into dinosaurs JUST BECAUSE. It takes up a small chunk of time like the hackers did in TF1 but thankfully nowhere as much as they did.

Drift calls Optimus Prime sensei. This is kind of retarded, but totally in-character.

Other than that, though? Absolutely spectacular. I really, really loved myself. It felt similar to the first movie, what with the smaller cast. The humans are a bit annoying, sure, but I absolutely love it. THE GOOD STUFF NOW

How do I break it down?

For MTMTE fans: the Knights of Cybertron are in it. And both Optimus Prime and the Dinobots are part of the circle.

For Prime fans: Galvatron's origin borrows from Nemesis Prime's, and the evil organization in general is heavily based off MECH.

For Marvel comic fans: there are blatant references to a greater Transformer faction cyberforming planets in the past.

For cartoon fans: the progenitors, the creators, whatever the hell they are, are pretty obviously based on the Quintesson origin story.

For Animated fans: Lockdown is very, very heavily based on the Animated incarnation, and other than frankensteining himself with upgrades he's basically the Animated dude.

For Beast Machines fans: Sparks are mentioned and equated to souls, and Lockdown pretty evidently extracts a spark. Galvatron's also connected to practically every drone, making him similar to the BM incarnation of Megatron. Galvatron and his troops 'morphs' more than transforms, turning into a semi-liquid form to assume their alternate mode, which kind of borrows from how BM Maximals transform.

A lot of things that are the staple of Bay are gone: there are absolutely no toilet jokes -- an alien spits on Hound one time but that's about it. There's still a fair amount of swearing but come on now. There aren't any Autobots introduced and left unseen for most of the movies. The daughter isn't used for eye-candy all that much, and there isn't any obvious lingering shorts at her ass or anything. The military isn't even involved, so other than a couple of jets and the modified jeeps that Cemetery Wind uses, there aren't any long scenes of military equipment deploying.

This is truly the Optimus Prime show. Practically the first quarter of the movie is just Optimus Prime dealing with being rejected, dealing with how the humans have betrayed them, and seeing a ray of hope with the humans that rescued him. He's clearly conflicted with his own rage, practically declaring that he's going to outright kill the humans responsible for hunting down the Autobots, but eventually relents when he has the chance... some subtle character development. He also gets to say 'roll out'. As everyone probably knows, he switches from his old G1-inspired broken truck into his newer DOTM body.

The story goes like this: Cemetery Wind, who's secretly in league with the bounty hunter Lockdown (who in turn is hunting down Optimus Prime) is hunting down Autobots under the pretense of hunting down Decepticons. Lockdown wants Optimus Prime to fulfill a contract with the unseen, mysterious Creators, whereas Cemetery Wind is in league with Joshua's corporation who has been salvaging Transformers and building his own personal army. A previous encounter with Lockdown has locked a wounded Optimus Prime in truck mode where he ended up being found and revived by Yeager.

We get to see them in the middle of an Autobot raid with Ratchet (which we saw on the trailer), and poor Ratchet! It was brutal. It was truly brutal, and while Ratchet puts up a fair fight Lockdown comes up and finishes him off. Unclear if Lockdown actually kills Ratchet because he visibly extracts his spark, leaving the corpse to humans. Ratchet's head gets visibly melted down for spare parts and Optimus Prime is so angry when he saw that, and he punches a bridge. Nowhere like the previous movies where death is not acknowledged. Also nice that the guys from the first three movies kind of gets their disappearances explained, even if only Ratchet and Leadfoot are shown on-screen.

There was a bunch of playing cards being thrown around with Autobot mugshots and the dead ones (Ironhide being the most evident) crossed out, but it went by so fast that I can't tell anyone else. Must wait for the DVD release.

Leadfoot is also seen being hunted down in a recording, though again I think it's left ambiguous if they're truly dead or if Lockdown is keeping their sparks as trophies, leaving their fate generally ambiguous.

Bumblebee works out fine without Sam -- he doesn't get a replacement human buddy which is nice, and generally just hangs out with the Yeager three. He switches bodies as well from the black car to the new yellow car. He gets a fair bit of action scenes, and rides around Strafe. The human-created Stinger is built up as Bumblebee's rival and it's hilarious how the PR video for Stinger is just openly mocking how Stinger is based off Bumblebee, just superior in every way. He doesn't dominate the movie, though being a Bumblebee fanboy I cheer everytime he shows up. Bumblebee and some of Galvatron's army have Megatron's ROTF Murderclaw for some inexplicable reason.

Brains returns! And disappears halfway through the movie like Wheelie did in ROTF. Cemetery Wind captured him alive and tortured the poor little dude for information. He's pretty visibly shaken and insane, and walks around with the remains of his right leg as a walking stick. Poor guy.

Hound basically replaces Ironhide as the big boisterous dude with a lot of guns. He literally has guns dropping from his back every time he walks around in a non-battle scene, and he even does a little Ironhide flip. I like him! He's got a beard and a freaking Cy-gar. He gets the most things to do while infiltrating the ship and during the final battle.

Crosshairs is fun! Not a big fan of the skirt, but he just mouths off and hates practically everybody. He mouths off at Hound, he mouths off at Bumblebee, he even compares Optimus Prime's leadership to brainwashing at one point. He's such a massive jerk and I love it.

Drift (EDIT: voiced by Ken Watanabe which makes him around ten times more awesome) speaks in a stereotypical Asian accent. The samurai helmet may be a bit too much, and Drift initially comes off as a bit of a jerk as well, mocking Bumblebee's lack of discipline. I do like him! He's fun. He keeps stabbing people in the face. He delivers some of the funniest lines in the film. I do like him, he tries so much to be this dignified samurai but kind of fails and stabs people in the face. Drift is also a triple-changer! He turns from a Bugatti into a helicopter into a robot! All hail the Drift!

All in all, all three new Autobots have a lot more screentime and personality to them than Sideswipe or Dino did in their debut movies. Ratchet and Brains both get a lot of dialogue during their appearances as well, Ratchet in particular. The purple Rally car in the trailers isn't a Transformer, it's just the car that the Boyfriend drives.

The Dinobots! Plural. I was half-expecting only Grimlock to appear after the stupid fiasco they did with Beast Hunters, but there are four Dinobots: Grimlock, Strafe, Scorn and Slug. Totally didn't expect them to transform too, but they do. They're the Knights of Cybertron (okay, just Knights) that were captured by Lockdown. Unlike what many people are suspecting they aren't antagonists that the Autobots must befriend or anything like that. They kind of come out of nowhere before the climax, with only Grimlock having two seconds of screentime before in robot mode which I didn't recognize. Optimus basically calls upon his Knighthood powers to release them from Lockdown's ship (which was a former Knight ship). They also do transform in the movie a couple of times, which is neat! They don't have any dialogue I remember of (Grimlock may have spoken once), and I'm not sure why Grimlock attacked Optimus early on -- I assume it's some kind of bizarre Knight ritual? But they're visually awesome.

They're paired each with an Autobot. Optimus with Grimlock, obviously. Drift rides Scorn around and the two has an awesome scene taking out the New Decepticons. Scorn is awesome. I have his toy and turns out he's bigger than Grimlock! Crosshairs rides around Slag, don't think he does much, really. Strafe picks up Bumblebee when they regroup and the two get into some awesome fight scenes.

The humans are m'eh. As I said before, the evil-corporate-guy-turned-good Joshua is just cheesy and annoying and stupid. Cade Yeager is a likable lead other than some cringe-worthy scenes, ditto for the daughter and her boyfriend. Evil Kelsey Grammer eats the scenery and does his job pretty well, proving the main big bad. He actually gets a backstory sorta too so good for that. Joshua's Chinese aide is a bit fun to watch but ultimately forgettable. Ditto for the blonde geologist that finds cyberformed dinosaurs. The two evil humans on top of Cemetery Wind are pretty entertaining (if one-dimensional) baddies that die. So yay.

Also true to hilarious Hollywood film logic every person in China including some random dude on an elevator knows kung-fu. (There must be something I am missing then.) Also heavily appreciate that unlike ROTF, Bay shows both the seedy alleys, the oriental temples and the high-rise buildings of China all equally. Most movies only bother with the first two.

The bad guys now! Lockdown is after Optimus Prime to complete his trophy of the Knights, having been hired by their Creators. To this end he promises to give the humans a 'Seed', which can Cyberform a huge chunk of the planet, because the humans need the 'Transformium' which Transformers are made up of. Lockdown is such a beast, and the action scenes involving him is just brilliant. He rides around a ship that formerly belonged to the Knights, and has captured a lot of organic aliens. He whips out a hook-hand like his Animated incarnation at one point, and tragically his face turns into a gun which I still dislike. He is a threatening villain, though, and an extremely entertaining one.

Tangentially I love how when the humans do get mixed up in the final battle it isn't as cringeworthy 'humans are awsum' like how they were able to take down Starscream and Shockwave in DOTM. Cade Yeager gets ahold of a Transformer gun halfway through the movie and uses it to distract Lockdown and shoot down a couple of troops, whereas the daughter and the boyfriend uses G1 Jazz's trick of using a towline to trip down Lockdown. Optimus and Bumblebee still do most of the fight, but I like it. Isn't anywhere as cringeworthy as DOTM.

Lockdown's troops are all generics and I'm not sure what happened to them, plus a bunch of techno-organic hyenas. Not stated to be techno-organic, but they have some obvious fleshy underbellies.

GALVATRON! Initially he's just borrowing the origin story of Prime's version of Nemesis Prime, a transformer created by humans as a prototype. And the humans have apparently 'unlocked the genome', allowing them to actually reshape their body. It's not a traditional transformation as mentioned before and while it looked odd early on it ends up being freaking awesome when used in battle. Megatron's head was salvaged by the humans and information pulled from it, which was how Megatron ended up infiltrating the 'main' prototype (which the humans call Galvatron) and end up in a superior body. I actually like it... Megatron returns again, yes, but he's Galvatron now and it's hinted that he's different and doesn't have a spark.

Stinger's not a character. He's a prototype, yes, which was given a 'rivalry' with Bumblebee, but was brought to life when Galvatron hacks into all of the other man-made Transformers. He gets to be the super-mook that Bumblebee kills, and I for one thought their 'rivalry' was funny.

Galvatron's army is not a faceless bunch of protoforms! They all look like they have vehicular forms despite transforming via turning into a blob. There are a couple that look like they're based off Stinger, and one that looks like a two-headed Shockwave. A couple of bugs similar to the Insecticon in ROTF also show up in one scene. The big armada of Transformer ships seen in the trailer only makes an appearance in the opening, extincting the dinosaurs (and are driven by non-Transformers), whereas the only ship featured in the movie itself is only Lockdown's.

And both Galvatron and the unseen Creators are actually kinda set up for a future movie! Once Galvatron decides to reveal himself and have his troops attack Hong Kong to hunt the Seed, he kind of sits back and lets Lockdown try to bring down Prime. When Lockdown is killed Galvatron shrugs, takes over Lockdown's ship with his army and buggers off into space.

I also do love the Transformers hunting angle that's prevalent in the first half of the movie. It gives an actual legit excuse to get rid of most of the old cast, while being an extremely interesting and tense setting for the characters to be in. It's also shown to be really brutal to the Autobots and not just glossed over in a couple of scenes the way the Decepticon hunt was early in ROTF and stuff. They did quite a good job with that.

(Optimus Prime has jet boots totally out of nowhere but it's awesome)

Optimus flies away into space at the end, leaving the Dinobots to go, free, into the forest, and the Autobots to watch over the Yaegers. Optimus goes off to hunt down the Creators, which may or may not be the Quintessons... ending's not three seconds like it was in Dark of the Moon, there's a fair bit of resolution. Didn't stick around for stingers though because my bladder's about to burst.

EDIT: Just realized that both Optimus flying off into space, and Galvatron seemingly doing the same thing with an army, may or may not hint for a future installment set mostly in space, which is something I've thought impossible for a Transformers live-action series to do... but with freakin' Guardians of a Galaxy getting a movie set almost entirely in space, I wouldn't totally rule it out just yet. Not sure if I would prefer an entirely-space movie over Grimlock crushing cars and stuff, though. A good part of the live-action movies' charm for me at least is the Transformers interacting with real-life stuff like houses and cars and whatnot which makes them feel real.

Generally, like DOTM, it fixes many of the things that ROTF did wrong, and adds more better things to the movie franchise as well. Bay is clearly taking criticism to heart, and while it's not a perfect movie by any means, it's probably my favourite so far through the movie franchise. We've got compelling villains with a proper backstory and motivations that aren't as haphazard and ill-defined like the Fallen, we don't get too many random characters thrown on our lap, there is a big fat amount of zero toilet jokes, humping robots, robot testicles (though a bit of swearing is around), an obvious lack of focus on military hardware, fanservice and cars driving on the streets, less 'human killing robots' and more 'humans killing humans', character death is acknowledged, there is build-up for future movies, and an ending that isn't abrupt like DOTM...

And DINOBOTS HELL YEA

So bottom line? I love this. It's a great soft reboot that does away with a lot of the things Bay is guilty of, playing more like a setup for future installments yet at the same time telling a nice little story on its own. Plus action scenes! And I for one will lend support to Age of Extinction by buying the toys. I like how Bay sticks to his franchise and just makes a movie that's better instead of pussying out and rebooting the franchise -- which would've been easy and make a lot of money regardless like they did with Spider-Man and Batman.

Also there was a live-action TMNT trailer apparently made by Bay? Yeah...

Last edited by Blackjack; 2014-06-25 at 04:30 PM. Reason: EDIT
Old 2014-06-25, 03:13 PM   #26
inflatable dalek
Duke of Kidderminster

Kidderminster UK
Smile

I've edited the thread title and first post in order to

A: Ensue people who might still think this is a comedy/speculation thread can avoid proper spoilers now it's become the discussion thread, and:

B: To ruin Cliffy's opening joke.

Now I'm out of here for... blimey, nearly two weeks. Damn Blackjack.

inflatable dalek is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2014-06-25, 03:54 PM   #27
Blackjack
Unashamed Movie Fanboy

Red face

Quote:
Originally Posted by inflatable dalek View Post
Now I'm out of here for... blimey, nearly two weeks. Damn Blackjack.
Is the release date elsewhere really that delayed compared to mine? I know the US airdate is around tomorrow or the day after that (give or take the timezone differences) but two weeks?

Why would they do that?

Old 2014-06-25, 03:56 PM   #28
inflatable dalek
Duke of Kidderminster

Kidderminster UK
Red face

IIRC it's out on on the 4th in the UK. Bah.

inflatable dalek is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2014-06-25, 04:01 PM   #29
Blackjack
Unashamed Movie Fanboy

Red face

Why such a huge gap between release dates?

Old 2014-06-25, 10:28 PM   #30
Clay
"I've done better and got over it."

Murray, KY
Smile

They pushed it back in countries where soccer is popular on account of the World Cup.

Going to see the movie tomorrow night here. America: **** yeah!

Clay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2014-06-26, 12:15 PM   #31
Blackjack
Unashamed Movie Fanboy

Rewatched!

Still awesome.

I may have gotten a few details wrong...

Galvatron does not go on board Lockdown's ship. He kind of just strides off into the mountains promising vengeance. Lockdown's ship seems to kind of either explode or limp into space while being shot at.

Optimus is the last of the Knights not captured by Lockdown. The Dinobots are apparently several members of them, no clue if they're all that's left or Lockdown's already delivered the others to the Creators.

Brains picks a flower and buggers off claiming that he's free right after delivering some exposition, so he doesn't actually disappear like Wheelie did in ROTF.

Junkheap, the trash truck Decepticon from the toyline show up, with the vehicle mode looking practically identical to the toy. He splits into three robots and gets totally murdered to hell. Several times.

There are multiple two-headed Shockwaves! One gets killed by Hound's cigar. Hound's cigar is apparently a bullet casing.

Those double-cylinder jet things that the Decepticons use in Dark of the Moon make a reappearance and was the focus of a rather extensive battle scene where Crosshairs, Bumblebee and the humans learn how to dogfight.

There is another Decepticon head in the KSI industries that

Galvatron screams I AM GALVATRON when he is first activated which I was funny. Also either Bay or the screenwriter watches Animated, because while Prime gets to say 'roll out', Galvatron says 'rise up', the Decepticons' battlecry from that series.

The term 'cyberforming' is specifically used by Optimus. The term 'Knights' is used a lot of times by Lockdown and Optimus, and the latter has to transform his lower arms to pull out the magic sword which he uses to stab people in the face.

Slug is called 'Spike' by Crosshairs at one point.

At one point during the Transformium demo Joshua Joyce turns it into a gun. His annoying donut-munching scientist turns it into a My Little Pony.

Old 2014-06-26, 03:49 PM   #32
Death's Head
Gestalt

London

Quote:
The term 'cyberforming' is specifically used by Optimu
Not bad for word that was, I believe, invented by fanfic writer Andy Dornan!

SMITH
Portfolio | Blog | Freelance Agent Brompton Rhodes - Guns, Girls and Gorillas!
Death's Head is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2014-06-27, 05:33 AM   #33
Clay

Murray, KY
Talking

Back from the early showing. Great good grief, that was so much better than the previous ones. It's still got some warts (lots of emotionally cheesy bits at the end, Prime using rocket boots instead of the perfectly good space ship just floating there), but yeah... better characterization of the robots, better human characters, better pacing, easier-to-follow action sequences, no toilet humor, etc.

Yeah, this one will do nicely.

Old 2014-06-27, 07:19 AM   #34
The PS3 KILLeR
The Bearded XENO

Alabama

Just got home from a 9pm showing... HOLY ****...

All the negative reviews saying it's Crap (looking at you Jeremy Jahns and IGN!!!) Had me worried... umm... I don't know where to begin, still processing everything but OH MY GOD Frank Welker as Galvatron!!!

Spoiler Tags just to be safe for everything else.
First off the human stuff isn't bad and I probably won't skip over it to get to the Bot fights on Bluray cause it was actually really good!

Movie has a FAR Darker tone and I LOVE that. Plus somehow Bay got it past Hasbro to slip in an F bomb from Stanley Tucci. Not idea how that happened

All the bots are fleshed out and have actual character development now! Hell yeah!

All the fight scenes are really cleaned up and slowed down. You can easily tell who's who and what's going on now! Far less shaky cam.

Few plot holes if any at all. None of that characters magically coming back or being in two places at once from ROTF.

The story itself I thought was pretty damn good, and while the 2 hr 45m run time is a bit much I didn't see much I'd want to cut out minus some Stanley Tucci comedy bits... just ugh...

The Dinobots just kinda magically appear but when I think about it they laid the foundation at the beginning, had them stored on Lockdown's ship in his trophy room where Optimus was held, so when they separated the section from the main ship they took the Dinobots with them. Sort of a cheap way out but better than just having them pop up.

Having "Battle Cry" mixed into the score in random parts was REALLY nice.

The line that Galvatron say to Prime in response to " You don't have a soul!!" Sent chills down my spine!

Poor TJ Miller... That's for being in Cloverfield....

Can I just say the Dinobots were freaking awesome? That's all... it was just amazing. :P

Now stuff I didn't like

Some Humor still felt forced but I chuckled quite a few times, especially with hound, mainly talking about Stanley Tucci here...

Li Bing Bing, She just didn't fit and I'm sorry but I couldn't understand half of what she said. Was she trying to act in broken English? Was that the goal Bay? I mean even a few Characters say they can't understand her in one scene. So was she supposed to be this bad for a joke or another one of Bay's infamous Racial stereotypes?

Slavery joke from TJ Miller when the movie plays with the themes of slavery with Optimus... just WTF?

Optimus being a cold blooded Killer, just doesn't sit right with me. The Optimus I know wouldn't vow to kill a human and then actually do it! A lot of the Autobots were trigger happy towards humans as well. It just doesn't fit well with what I know the Autobots to be. I get they are being hunted and are angry but Prime would never vow to kill a human, we just wouldn't.

Dinobots didn't talk... this is a negative for one reason... I wanted to hear Grimlock debate Optimus like the classic fights between them. For Optimus to out smart him and out fight him. instead he's just a transforming Mount... kinda disappointing.

I won't even spoil too much in the tags, just go see the movie! I'm going again tomorrow to see it in IMAX. Paying $15 for matinee cause I enjoyed it THAT much! Might even see it a 3rd time is I have the money, although I do need to save for Hound, Drift, and Galvatron for the collection.... so yeah might not. Second time is a must though!

Go see it, it's far better than the last two and honestly better than the firs. It actually feels like a Transformers movie instead of a movie it bots as plot devices.

https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCkf...Mg0GqQ19nnewxw check us out!!!
XBOX LIVE gamertag: DaBeardedXeno
PSN ID: tweco99
The PS3 KILLeR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2014-06-27, 08:01 AM   #35
Blackjack
Unashamed Movie Fanboy

Li Bingbing actually spoke in Mandarin and Cantonese at one point (something I appreciated because people in Hong Kong speak a shit ton of Cantonese as opposed to Mandarin Chinese) but IIRC those were subtitled in english. She did speak with a Chinese accent... which technically isn't racist on Bay's part because that's how a lot of native Chinese speakers pronounce English words.

Old 2014-06-27, 08:30 AM   #36
The PS3 KILLeR
The Bearded XENO

Alabama

Quote:
Originally Posted by Blackjack View Post
Li Bingbing actually spoke in Mandarin and Cantonese at one point (something I appreciated because people in Hong Kong speak a shit ton of Cantonese as opposed to Mandarin Chinese) but IIRC those were subtitled in english. She did speak with a Chinese accent... which technically isn't racist on Bay's part because that's how a lot of native Chinese speakers pronounce English words.
Still seems a bit racist and unneeded to me. Just seems to enforce a negative stereotype ya know? But who am I to judge... I do quotes of this guy almost daily cause it make me giggle and I can perfectly match the voice.

Still, just seemed a bit off color and didn't sit right with me. Even if it's being realistic it's enforcing a negative stereotype that Millions of children are going to see. But uh... you parents might not want to take the younglings to see this one just fyi. Dark Tone, F-bomb, and general filling of the swear jar abound btw.

https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCkf...Mg0GqQ19nnewxw check us out!!!
XBOX LIVE gamertag: DaBeardedXeno
PSN ID: tweco99
The PS3 KILLeR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2014-06-27, 11:37 AM   #37
Blackjack
Unashamed Movie Fanboy

Third showing!

Can confirm that the second 'Decepticon' head in KSI belongs to Sentinel Prime.

Old 2014-06-27, 09:40 PM   #38
Thunderwave
Gestalt

Upstate, NY

Here are some of my thoughts after a single viewing (I'm going back Wednesday with a friend for another go).

Autobots with attitude. I like it. It takes all types to fight a war, after all. They are opinionated characters that don't always get along.

Drift is a triple changer? O.o That was a surprising choice.

I like how the Earth made Transformers transform differently from the Cybertronian ones. It marks them as alien from the rest.

Lockdown.

I do love how they stole the basic plot from early Transformers Animated and gave it a little twist. That said I also love Brain's role and how none of the Autobots batted an eye at his part.

No real spoilers here so I dropped the tag:

Quote:
Originally Posted by The PS3 KILLeR View Post
Li Bing Bing, She just didn't fit and I'm sorry but I couldn't understand half of what she said. Was she trying to act in broken English? Was that the goal Bay? I mean even a few Characters say they can't understand her in one scene. So was she supposed to be this bad for a joke or another one of Bay's infamous Racial stereotypes?
From what I took away from that scene she was mad and slipped back into her native tongue. Some people do that when angry. I knew a guy that the more and more agitated he got the more and more Spanish came out. When he was hopping mad he was impossible to understand unless you spoke fluent Spanish. It's not an uncommon trait with people speaking a non-native language.

Thunderwave is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2014-06-29, 11:41 PM   #39
Clay

Murray, KY
Smile

Just got back from a second viewing. Liked it even more. Definitely features some emotionally cheesy bits, but overall really pleased with how this one turned out.

Also, I noticed that Stanley Tucci's lab assistant guy's ringtone (in the scene with the My Little Pony) is the G1 theme. Neat!

Old 2014-06-30, 07:39 AM   #40
another tf fan
I'm your freak-a-zoid

USA

I have seen it once.

It was overly long.

Like all of Michael Bay's "films".

It does seem the formula has evolved and the changes have been for the better, but AoE is just too self-indulgent and becomes tedious around the 100 minute mark. That leaves another hour of "film".

Just like the rest.

I lay the problems squarely at Bay's feet. He strong arms these movies into his grand vision and tells Khruger to go type it up.

It's all moot as the "film" has already had a fully successful weekend box office return.

So Bay will return for Transformers : Fancy Subheading.

Come on and wind me up.
another tf fan is offline   Reply With Quote