• transformers cartoon
  • transformers live-action movies
  • transformers fandom
  • transformers forum

Go Back   TFARCHIVE > TRANSFORMERS > Transformers Media & Fandom

Old 2014-07-01, 06:58 AM   #41
Sades
Ms. Snarkypants

In a hut by a river on top of a big ol hill.

We saw this. If you don't realise there's spoilers by now you're Keeeraaaazyyy. Capital K.

I think this was my least favourite movie. Dinobots is Dinobots though. I was going to say they didn't disappoint me, but... I'd been waiting for them for so long that by the time they popped up, I was kinda "eh" about it.

I would have loved to see more of them and I would have loved to see some personality, but whatever.

Humans are meh, except for Marky Mark, he was pretty cool. Towards the end anyway. I couldn't stand him at first.

The rest of it felt tired, long and kind of all over the place. I liked bits here and there, but I uttered "... What." a whole lot.

This is my signature. My wasted space. My little corner. You can't have it. It's mine. I can write whatever I want. And I have!
Sades is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2014-07-02, 07:51 AM   #42
Hound
Married to Sadie

Henshin!

This movie was pretty bad, though not as bad as the second movie.

It just feels like there's gaps where things like how Prime goes from extremely damaged to completely functional get explained but are missing from the film.

Basically there's a lot of holes in the plot, so the story comes off as nonsensical.

Add to that the silly shit where Bay has gone to his CGI people and said something like "I need an Autobot in a trench coat so I can have a Matrix-like shot" or the samurai alien robot that has a chinese accent that lower the credibility of the movie.

It's a fun movie as long as you don't use your brain, as soon as you do the whole thing falls apart.

Hound is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2014-07-02, 11:34 PM   #43
Heinrad
Ironmod

Riskin' it all on my Russian Roulette!

Saw the movie last Saturday, and plan to go again over the long holiday weekend. And if I can't find somebody to go with me, I'll use the other free pass and see it 3 times.

Moral: Buy a printer, see it free the first time.

Anyway, I quite liked it. Yes, it's the typical Bay popcorn, summer blockbuster kind of movie, but it was also a lot of fun.

My only real complaints are these:

- Other than roaring, Grimlock says nothing.
- We'll never get a movie accurate Drift toy.
- Now that they've used Drift, what are the odds we'll get Bludgeon in the next movie?
- I can understand, to an extent, what could be seen as the Autobots' fascination with sleek sports cars. But if you're trying to appear inconspicuous, a Bugatti Veyron SS or other high end supercar or ultra car is asking for trouble.

On the toy front, the only ones that have really looked interesting to me has been the CoE Prime and maybe Drift, if they manage to do a movie accurate version. And now that I've seen the film, Hound.

As a professional tanuki (I'm a Japanese mythological animal, and a good luck charm), I have an alarm clock built into me somewhere. I also look like a stuffed animal. And you thought your life was tough......

3DS Friend Code: 1092-1274-7642
Heinrad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2014-07-03, 03:37 AM   #44
Warcry
Likes Beast Wars toys. A lot.

Winnipeg, Manitoba, Canada
Smile

Quote:
Originally Posted by Heinrad View Post
I can understand, to an extent, what could be seen as the Autobots' fascination with sleek sports cars. But if you're trying to appear inconspicuous, a Bugatti Veyron SS or other high end supercar or ultra car is asking for trouble.
Fair enough, but that's been a problem since 1984 so it's a bit silly to start complaining about it now. At least three of the original Autobots were one-of-a-kind liveried race cars, after all.

I saw this on the weekend myself, and while it was entertaining I found that it dragged in places. I found the entire human cast intensely unlikeable and the scenes that focused on them completely uninteresting. They had none of the chemistry or humour that the original cast used to get through some of the first three films' more risible moments. The main female lead was especially bad, to the point where she made Rosie Huntington-Whitely (who I called out as utterly wooden after watching the third film) look like a legit actress. Also, honourable mention for somehow managing to smother all the life out of Kelsey Grammer's performance...he's never been as flat as he is here.

On the other hand, I think the robot side of things were handled a lot better than in the last two films. All five of the Autobots came off as people instead of props, and all three of the new guys (Crosshairs, Drift and Hound) each had at least one awesome moment to show off. On the Decepticon side of things, Lockdown isn't quite as well-done as Sentinel Prime was in the last film, but he has a straightforward motivation for doing what he does and that makes him better than 90% of the bad guys in all TF media.

Though it's a shame about Lockdown's character design, which is generic even by Movie Decepticon standards. Would it have killed them to give him a splash of colour?

The Dinobots' introduction felt like a cheat after they made a big deal out of Prime's whole "we need a new army" line in all the trailers, and especially after they found that metal dinosaur in the Arctic in at the start of the film. It seemed like they were building up to a grand quest to find the Dinobots, and then...nope, they're just sleeping aboard Lockdown's ship! There was probably a whole movie's worth of story to that one, and honestly all the bits with the Dinobots and Galvatron just seemed like a distraction from what really mattered: Lockdown and his buddies' hunt for Autobots.

I thought the action scenes in this one were the best out of all four, partly because all of the primary characters were visually distinctive (a big complaint of mine in both ROTF and DOTM) and partly because (in spite of blowing up half of Hong Kong) they kept a more coherent focus on a small number of characters that actually mattered.

Overall I thought it was pretty good, by action film standards. Not the best of the bunch, not the worst, and around half an hour too long, but still good fun all around.

Warcry is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 2014-07-03, 02:53 PM   #45
praetorian
Powermaster

Quote:
Originally Posted by Warcry View Post
The Dinobots' introduction felt like a cheat after they made a big deal out of Prime's whole "we need a new army" line in all the trailers, and especially after they found that metal dinosaur in the Arctic in at the start of the film. It seemed like they were building up to a grand quest to find the Dinobots, and then...nope, they're just sleeping aboard Lockdown's ship! There was probably a whole movie's worth of story to that one, and honestly all the bits with the Dinobots and Galvatron just seemed like a distraction from what really mattered: Lockdown and his buddies' hunt for Autobots.
This clarifies for me a feeling I had during the whole film: there are two movie-length stories squashed into one. AoE should have been exclusively about Lockdown's hunt for the Autobots, and the Autobot's hunt for the Dinobots in order to save themselves and the earth from extinction. It should have ended with a shot of the research facility, with a quick pan over Ratchet's mutilated body, Sentinel's head, etc. And then a final pan over the new Galvatron body, and then a final shot of Megatron's head and his one good eye glows red. Done.

Movie 5 has Prime (in Lockdown's spaceship, not on jet boosters) searching for "the creators." He finds Ultra Magnus or Rodimus in his search. While back on earth, Galvatron rises to wreak havoc, etc.

praetorian is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2014-07-03, 09:51 PM   #46
Shrapnel Clone
Modder Eter

The Netherlands

Just came back from this movie. I hoped to find some answers here on what the hell was going on, because this movie had me feeling lost.
- Too many humans
- Too many generic robots
- Not enough character development. Autobots growling at eachother is not development.
- Prime on a rampage. He appeared brain-damaged with his constant yelling of 'going to kill them'. Maybe he stole G1 Galvatron's thing?
- Bla bla bla excitement about Stinger bla bla bla he's just another generic drone. Disappointing.
- Too many humans doing too many crazy action scenes. This isn't Humans: Age of Extinction!

I actually wanted this movie to end somewhere half-way. When I realised the Dinobots were not part of the plot, but were going to be the Deus Ex Machina, I kinda lost interest.

"I dunno about you, but whenever I get confused I always mutilate the person next to me."
-Cliffjumper
Shrapnel Clone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2014-07-04, 04:37 PM   #47
Heinrad
Ironmod

Riskin' it all on my Russian Roulette!
Cool

originally posted by Warcry:

Fair enough, but that's been a problem since 1984 so it's a bit silly to start complaining about it now. At least three of the original Autobots were one-of-a-kind liveried race cars, after all.

True, but at that point, it was The Ark picking alt modes that somewhat, probably, matched their original alt modes. Given where the Autobots are at the start of the movie, looking flashy should be at the very bottom of the list of requirements.

That being said, I'd much rather drive a Bugatti Veyron than a boring old 4 banger anyday. I think it ultimately came down to seeing Prime in an old, battered semi, Hound in a fairly nondescript military vehicle mode, Bumblebee spending most of the film as an old Camaro....... and then Drift and Crosshairs both as brand new super cars. Ehh..... It does match with their attitudes. Both Drift and Crosshairs seemed less inclined to hide.

As a professional tanuki (I'm a Japanese mythological animal, and a good luck charm), I have an alarm clock built into me somewhere. I also look like a stuffed animal. And you thought your life was tough......

3DS Friend Code: 1092-1274-7642
Heinrad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2014-07-05, 08:59 AM   #48
Summerhayes
always late to the party

Somerset, England.

So, I went to the midnight opening of this last night after months of closing my eyes and putting fingers in my ears during trailers, avoiding TF websites like the plague and for the first time in my life picking up the Argos book and not instinctively opening the back page. I went into this film with almost no pre-conceptions and no idea what to expect.
I liked it!

For me, it felt like a much tighter film than 2 or 3, in terms of having a small cast of characters who are given a lot of time to shine. Personally, I preferred ROTF and DOTM to TF2007, but most people I speak to got a little lost by the sequels, and liked the human element of the first film more. This felt like a return to that sort of beating heart; Wahlberg's character had an easy to relate to motivation; looking after his daughter. The chemistry between them made them feel like a real family, even if Peltz did start the film with a few wooden lines she grew on me by the end.

The Transformers were well-served in this one, or at least the Autobots were. The deaths of the older characters were a little rushed, but it made room for a core team of five autobots who were all memorable and distinctive, even if they didn't exactly have the most fleshed-out characterisation. Using Optimus as the primary human interaction character was a nice change of pace, and he himself felt a lot more alive than in previous films. It felt very real when Drift and Crosshairs talked about his leadership, that they would die for him.

The plot was something pretty different and I actually really liked it. For the most part I didn't really recognise it from any of the comicbooks or anything, except maybe the Megatron's head business being lifted from Animated, but that's ideal. I like seeing all new stories rather than constant remakes and adaptations.

My only major complaint was that this was the film that basically gave up on the Transformers transforming; all the Earth-made ones simply morphed like the T-1000. I love all the transformations in these films so not seeing so many was a little disappointing.

Overall, I thoroughly enjoyed this film and will definitely be re-watching it in the cinemas. I'll probably have more thoughts later, and be able to make a better judgement of where it fits in my personal Top 4.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shrapnel Clone View Post
I actually wanted this movie to end somewhere half-way. When I realised the Dinobots were not part of the plot, but were going to be the Deus Ex Machina, I kinda lost interest.
It did feel quite long. For me, it suffered from a similar problem to Godzilla in that it was a lot of build-up to a great final fight which I knew was coming, so it was hard to enjoy anything in the run-up. Like Godzilla, I expect I'll enjoy it more on repeat viewings.

The Dinobot thing was a little annoying, but they were hugely overpowered so I guess it made sense for them to turn up at the end. They were very cool when they did arrive, and the whole Knights of Cybertron angle was pretty cool.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Warcry View Post
Overall I thought it was pretty good, by action film standards. Not the best of the bunch, not the worst, and around half an hour too long, but still good fun all around.
Yep, that pretty much sums up my feelings.

Still alive, I'm just bad at keeping up with forums.
You can read my articles and reviews at gintendo.co.uk but I wouldn't bother if I were you.
Summerhayes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2014-07-05, 04:41 PM   #49
inflatable dalek
Duke of Kidderminster

Kidderminster UK
Red face

Seen and enjoyed, I'm currently uploading a really badly thought through rambly YouTube video that I think will fairly critique the movie more than a properly written post, so for now here's a picture of me and my friend Optimus Prime:

https://www.facebook.com/photo.php?f...9&l=f7b0b4fee7

inflatable dalek is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2014-07-05, 04:50 PM   #50
inflatable dalek
Duke of Kidderminster

Kidderminster UK

Oh and on Autobot disguises... I did think it was a bit silly that when Prime scanned a new truck he didn't think to change his colours as well, especially if the Transformers are as generally hated as the film suggests, a truck looking like Optimus Prime would probably get a lot of nasty attention just for being in bad taste as much as anything.

And one thing I forget to mention in the video is the film somewhat chickens out on having the US government be out and out bad, and the hoops it runs through so no one except Fraiser (and possibly his boss?) are in on what they're really up too result in some odd moments and it winding up feeling like one CIA agent is having the run the entire Capture Evil Aliens operation by himself.

Old 2014-07-05, 04:58 PM   #51
Summerhayes
always late to the party

Somerset, England.

I don't think it was saying the Autobots were out and out hated, just that people were willing to believe any transformer the boss man pointed them at was a decepticon. The president wanted a picture with prime, after all.

Also, and I may be reading too much into it or giving Michael bay too much credit, but I think the message it had was that elected officials are powerless when it comes to black ops people. And that is... bad, I guess.

When he turned into the new truck, that was him coming out of hiding and going on the attack, I thought, so it made sense he would go with his "look".

EDIT: Just had a little thought as well. I wonder if it's coincidence the other head in the room with megs when galvatron was being built was ratchet, considering their history in the marvel comics, or will they both end up in the same body in the next film?

You can read my articles and reviews at gintendo.co.uk but I wouldn't bother if I were you.

Last edited by Summerhayes; 2014-07-05 at 05:55 PM.
Old 2014-07-05, 07:16 PM   #52
inflatable dalek
Duke of Kidderminster

Kidderminster UK
Smile

Fast and dirty YoUTube video:

http://thesolarpool.weebly.com/blog/...tinction-event

Old 2014-07-05, 08:09 PM   #53
numbat
Legends Class

Scotland, UK

Just saw it, and really enjoyed it - although I don't think there was ever any doubt of that.

Loved Lockdown - great to finally get a decent villain (who's not an Autobot turncoat). Loved the fact the plot used the whole 'Robots in Disguise' thing. In fact, really loved the story in general - it was far more brutal than I had expected, and quite harrowing! Certainly doesn't make people look good... And I liked that the humans integral to the plot were late 30s or older - bit more realistic and something I could get behind (teenagers and early 20s characters driving major blockbuster plots is too common and too silly these days...) Also loved that it blew the Transformers universe wide open for any sequels - I hope they use that.

I really did not like the way the new human-built Transformers transformed though, but I can live with it.

Overall, it seemed like a grown up Transformers film (certainly more-so than the previous ones anyway).

I have no idea why the critics hate it so much. Sure, it's in no way highbrow, but it was well made and beautifully shot. Hardly the worst thing to come out of Hollywood, and I thought there was some depth to the plot (for the popcorn munching blockbuster genre). I don't think a lot of the critics who's reviews I read before seeing the film had actually paid any intention, or, even managed to follow what little plot there was... Guess it's just a given that critics will hate Michael Bay films - although the public seem to have a very different opinion given the consistent success he has.

Roll on number five. And I hope Michael Bay returns to direct!

New sale thread added with a range of Transformers including Masterpiece, Botcon, CHUG, RID, Movies etc.

Looking for MP-11T Thundercracker and MP-9 Rodimus v2 (Takara version with as few QC issues as possible).

Check out my new sale thread now!

Also items on eBay.
numbat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2014-07-05, 08:49 PM   #54
Red Dave Prime
Assistant Comic Reviewer

Ireland

Quote:
Originally Posted by numbat View Post
I have no idea why the critics hate it so much. Sure, it's in no way highbrow, but it was well made and beautifully shot. Hardly the worst thing to come out of Hollywood, and I thought there was some depth to the plot (for the popcorn munching blockbuster genre). I don't think a lot of the critics who's reviews I read before seeing the film had actually paid any intention, or, even managed to follow what little plot there was... Guess it's just a given that critics will hate Michael Bay films - although the public seem to have a very different opinion given the consistent success he has.
Part of the problem is that with many movie critics they are having to compare films of such drastic goals. Not a fan of Bays films at all myself but they are clearly aiming for a different market to, say, Gravity or The Piano (not sure why I picked them but anyway). It's like a restaurant reviewer who trys to find a points scale that will accommodate fine dinning and fast food.

I'm going in with an open mind to this one. I still find the first one enjoyable as a throw away movie and a few people have remarked that this is kinda similar (even if it does bloat later on). I fear it will have the same problem many of the superhero movies do (Thor 2, I am glaring at you in particular). They feel they have to justify their investment and worthiness with long run times and overly thought out plots when the audience will happily switch back if the characters are appealing, the action good and the dialogue snappy. Keep the plot simple with one or two twists I feel is the blockbuster sweet spot. Iron Mans a good example. The third one has its moments but it gets too bogged down trying to be clever and cramming in far too much.

Red Dave Prime is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2014-07-05, 08:56 PM   #55
zigzagger
There ain't no Sanity Clause

Red face

Sorry. Not a whole lot I have to say about this.

I liked Lockdown. I'll go with that. On the robot side of things, he felt like a more realized villain. More so than Megatron, the goddamned Fallen or even Sentinel, in my opinion. He was probably the one thing I really enjoyed about the film.

Could've done without the Galvatron subplot -- or the Dinobots for that matter, fun as a concept that they are. To echo what's already been said, the threat of Lockdown was enough to sustain the movie without them.

I dunno... maybe I'll chime in later.

zigzagger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2014-07-05, 11:19 PM   #56
Summerhayes
always late to the party

Somerset, England.

Although lockdown was well done in terms of the plot, I found the design and the voice really underwhelming as a main villain. If it wasn't for the rifle face, he'd have been a total genericon. I think I was just disappointed when he ended up being the main villain instead of Galvatron. Perhaps on repeat viewings, knowing that he is the main man, I'll appreciate him more. Certainly knowing he'd taken down so many other autobots made him a credible threat.

Old 2014-07-06, 12:49 AM   #57
Thunderwave
Gestalt

Upstate, NY

I really enjoyed Lockdown as a villain. He stuck to the bounty hunter roots of his original Animated appearance. I liked his voice, personally. It added a note of menace.

The government subplot I think was a jab at the current US government. People blame elected officials for things they didn't know about because the person telling them straight got lied to and passed the lie along.

As for the disguises? G1 was rife with "disguises" that didn't work. Take Mirage. Not only is he a specific race car he's one that's not even street legal. Then the next year we get a tank, a UFO, a sci-fi jeep, a drill tank, a...thing (Topspin), another very specific race car (Smokescreen), and a rocket with a train track based tank around it. A little suspension of disbelief goes a long way.

Thunderwave is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2014-07-06, 05:06 AM   #58
Lufbery
Protoform

(Geez, I haven't posted here in a long time!)

I saw AOE a little over a week ago and I've been trying to figure out what to post other than: I liked it.

I just rewatched Revenge of the Fallen tonight and now I think I can explain why I liked it.

First the movie itself: I agree with some of the comments above. It seemed like two movies squished into one. The part at the end -- with the knights and how they had trouble with the primes (I'm trying not to spoil anything here), plus the back story with Lockdown's ship that never gets fully explained -- all felt like the first act of the next movie. I enjoyed the action, but the story got a little odd for me.

What does this have to do with ROTF? I think this movie follows naturally from the second movie, and for me, that's a good thing. In fact, and I know this sounds a little crazy, but one can pretend that Dark of the Moon never happened and Age of Extinction flows naturally from Revenge of the Fallen.

A little digression:

I like the first movie a lot. I thought it was a great re-imagining of the whole franchise. Yes, I'm one of those guys. I grew up with Transformers. I got Optimus and Magatron the first Christmas they were available. I bought all four of the "4-Issue Limited Series" of the Marvel comic as they came out on the news stand, and was thrilled when I read that there's be a 5th issue and a continuing series! I've still got almost all of my comics too. And then I didn't think about Transformers much at all until 2007.

I also liked ROTF the first and second times I saw it in the theater and I've liked it each time I saw it on DVD, including tonight. I like the continuity with the cast. I love Sam's parents (I'm a 40-year-old guy with two young sons. I can relate). The story made sense to me, the action made sense. I even liked the twins.

Then Dark of the Moon came out and seemed like a weird outlier. Booting Mikaela may have made sense for the director, but it played hell with my sympathy for Sam and his new girlfriend. The story was pretty strange too. The action with the building tilting killed my willing suspension of disbelief, etc. I know that tastes differ, but Dark of the Moon just didn't seem to fit with the first two movies.

End digression.

Now we get Age of Extinction and it does fit! It feels like Dark of the Moon never happened. Sure, there's a few little continuity problems -- something happened in Chicago that gets referenced in AOE, but Revenge of the Fallen has a news report after the Decepticons reveals themselves stating that worldwide casualties in several major cities has hit 7,000. Maybe Chicago is one of those.

In an alternate timeline that never had Dark of the Moon, I could easily see both citizens and the government being fed up (and scared shitless) by the public revelation of alien robots and the crap that happened at Giza. I can see somebody in the CIA, in response, making deals with an alien bounty hunter to kill robots and a tech company to take them and dispose of them. All of this could have happened in the years between the second and fourth movies without the third movie ever happening. I'm cool with having a different human cast. It's not like Sam, Mikaela, Epps, Lenox, and Simmons are the only humans on Earth. The Autobots went into hiding and lost touch with them. No biggie.

The reason why this works (at least for me), is that Age of Extinction carries through the larger themes from Revenge of the Fallen: the government's distrust of the Autobots and desire to end the working relationship with them, a question of who created the alien robots (from Epps), even prehistoric attempts to use Earth to gather (or create) resources. Basically, Earth has become a proxy for the war on Cybertron; how do people react to that as individuals, as nations, and as a world population? These themes are what the live action stories are about, and I didn't think they were dealt with well in the third movie.

Anyway, I liked AOE because I feel it comes back to those themes and deals with them in interesting ways.

Regards,
-Drew

Lufbery is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2014-07-06, 06:43 AM   #59
numbat
Legends Class

Scotland, UK

Quote:
Originally Posted by Red Dave Prime View Post
Part of the problem is that with many movie critics they are having to compare films of such drastic goals. Not a fan of Bays films at all myself but they are clearly aiming for a different market to, say, Gravity or The Piano (not sure why I picked them but anyway). It's like a restaurant reviewer who trys to find a points scale that will accommodate fine dinning and fast food.

I'm going in with an open mind to this one. I still find the first one enjoyable as a throw away movie and a few people have remarked that this is kinda similar (even if it does bloat later on). I fear it will have the same problem many of the superhero movies do (Thor 2, I am glaring at you in particular). They feel they have to justify their investment and worthiness with long run times and overly thought out plots when the audience will happily switch back if the characters are appealing, the action good and the dialogue snappy. Keep the plot simple with one or two twists I feel is the blockbuster sweet spot. Iron Mans a good example. The third one has its moments but it gets too bogged down trying to be clever and cramming in far too much.
I do agree with you - blockbusters should be fun and generally simple, and a lot are way too long and fail at being clever. Although Thor vs Thor 2 is a bad example, as the sequel is shorter than the original. (I also actually preferred Thor 2 over the original, which I felt was a 'meh' but wellmade blockbsuter, whereas the second opened more of the cosmic stuff up, which did it for me - so perhaps best not to take any film recommendations off me! ;-) )

AoE is not clever, and is spectacular but is also certainly long. It's certainly no Clockwork Orange, Melancholia etc. But blockbusters shouldn't be.

I think AoE keeps to a tight band of characters, more like the original TF film, although the pacing feels more like ROTF. I think the plot is better (given ROTF didn't have a plot, that's surely not hard), and the Transformers (Autobots and Lockdown) get more of a chance to be onscreen and talk, although I'd struggle to call anything character development other than for Prime perhaps.

Quote:
Originally Posted by zigzagger View Post
Could've done without the Galvatron subplot -- or the Dinobots for that matter, fun as a concept that they are. To echo what's already been said, the threat of Lockdown was enough to sustain the movie without them..
Totally agree - that's something I really liked and did not expect. Lockdown was really creepy and threatening, and Galvatron never really happens. But I think they were doing something they've not done before - ie building foundations for the next films. I look forward to seeing what Galvatron does in the next film, although hope they follow on with Prime as well.

I also agree about the Dinobots, but they were such a spectacle and so awesome, I was happy to just go with it.

The thing which has actually left the biggest single impression on me from the film the next day, though is:

SPOILER! (select to read)
Optimus Prime kills a human. Even though this is justified by the plot, and you can see why anyone would, this to me takes Prime somewhere darker and makes him a more flawed and so real character. I'm not entirely sure how I feel about this now - Prime is the ultimate father or grandather figure in my view, so may take a while to process. In the heat of the film I was rooting for him, but now... It's an interesting twist for me, but probably minor for most!

Oh, and it's interesting that Bumblebee has been relegated to the background cast in terms of screentime / development. Infact, he maybe even gets less time than some of the other Autobots, and Prime makes a great throwaway remark about him! Has Bay got fed up with him?

New sale thread added with a range of Transformers including Masterpiece, Botcon, CHUG, RID, Movies etc.

Looking for MP-11T Thundercracker and MP-9 Rodimus v2 (Takara version with as few QC issues as possible).

Check out my new sale thread now!

Also items on eBay.
numbat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2014-07-06, 08:30 AM   #60
Summerhayes
always late to the party

Somerset, England.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Thunderwave View Post
I really enjoyed Lockdown as a villain. He stuck to the bounty hunter roots of his original Animated appearance. I liked his voice, personally. It added a note of menace.
Ah, I didn't realise he was from Animated. Well with that and the Megatron's head stuff, this one was definitely inspired by that. I like how each film is taking inspiration from different parts of the franchise.

Quote:
Originally Posted by numbat View Post
the Transformers (Autobots and Lockdown) get more of a chance to be onscreen and talk, although I'd struggle to call anything character development other than for Prime perhaps.
I think they tried to give Crosshairs a bit of an arc, even if it was simplistic and quickly solved.

Quote:
Oh, and it's interesting that Bumblebee has been relegated to the background cast in terms of screentime / development. Infact, he maybe even gets less time than some of the other Autobots, and Prime makes a great throwaway remark about him! Has Bay got fed up with him?
This I did notice. I was just thinking that it was because 'Bee is defined as Sam's human contact character so it would have been odd to see him palling around with the new humans too much. I did like Prime's line about raising him.