• transformers fandom
  • transformers forum

Go Back   TFARCHIVE > TRANSFORMERS > Transformers Media & Fandom > New Comics

Old 2014-08-14, 03:00 PM   #101
Auntie Slag
Satisfaction guaranteed !

Cambridge, UK
Lightbulb

It seems to me that Chromedome loved Rewind, no matter what sinister agenda he may have had going on. I don’t think of it as a gay relationship, its just a relationship. Femmebots are still an incredibly unusual thing in the MTMTE/RID continuity, yes? As in they’re the products of CNA experiments by Jhiaxus. If that’s the case and Transformers are only either forged or cold constructed then there’s no need for any sexualisation when describing a TF relationship.

Chromedome asking Minimus his house name is an easy bluff, that happens in films all the time when the hero is in disguise.

It wouldn’t feel like cheap writing to me if an underlying shock were waiting in the wings beneath Chromedome & Rewind’s relationship. We know Chromedome is a dodgy little so and so who partakes in nasty things despite his better nature.

Its Rewind who was trying to keep him on the straight and narrow, possibly to avoid Chromedome ever considering another suicide attempt following too many sordid doings.

[EDIT] Just read in the Wiki that:

Nautica was born on a distant world colonized by the Metrotitan known as Caminus. The Titan carried within him an active hot spot upon leaving Cybertron, allowing new Cybertronians to be born from the colony. Nautica was one of several Cybertronians born from that hot spot who evolved in such a way that they were considered "female".

So there are natural females born in this TF universe, but they've never featured until Dark Cybertron, and I guess we don't know yet what difference it makes for a Transformer to be considered female?

Auntie Slag is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2014-08-14, 03:07 PM   #102
Unicron
Time for plan bee-weeoop

It's also an almost certainty that Domey has tinkered with Rewind's head at least once. The UV light allergy, which is kind of ridiculous and would be one hell of a coincidence. UV light is basically everywhere, it'd be like being allergic to oxygen. Plus at least one instance of Rewind not being able to remember where Chromedome was and what he was up to.

Sure, it could be one hell of a bit of misdirection, but I doubt it.

Unicron is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2014-08-14, 03:15 PM   #103
inflatable dalek
Duke of Kidderminster

Kidderminster UK
Smile

Quote:
Originally Posted by Auntie Slag View Post
It seems to me that Chromedome loved Rewind, no matter what sinister agenda he may have had going on. I donít think of it as a gay relationship, its just a relationship. Femmebots are still an incredibly unusual thing in the MTMTE/RID continuity, yes? As in theyíre the products of CNA experiments by Jhiaxus. If thatís the case and Transformers are only either forged or cold constructed then thereís no need for any sexualisation when describing a TF relationship.
It's not litterally a gay relationship of course, but it's certainly analogous to one, and not with a huge amount of subtlety (and at AA 2013 when he was asked if Hasbro has any resistance to the idea Roberts didn't refute the phrasing of the question that called it a gay relationship either). You could certainly call it an asexual relationship (which is even rarer in fiction come to think of it) if you want to be completely literal, but either way it's a deeply loving relationship complete with marriage.

And if Chromedome has been doing things to either Rewind, either physically or via having done something to his ex-partner, that turns it from a loving relationship into a deeply hideous abusive one.

There are people who are uncomfortable with how the Cyclonus/Tailgate thing is going considering it basically started with Cyclonus beating up Tailgate (though I quite like the idea suggested by someone here of it being a parental relationship rather than a partners one, with MTMTE being all about friendship in all it's various forms a father/son* dynamic would be an extra dimension for it to explore), the already fully established old married couple turning out to be all about the one manipulating the other in every way really wouldn't be a good direction to go on.

It's a relationship that worked beautifully, it doesn't need twists, I'm still somewhat nervous about how the likely return of Rewind at some point will affect things.

*Though based on what Roberts and Milne said at AA, that'd be more of a Mother/son relationship. Cyclonus' holo-avatar is a rather stern school marm apparently...

inflatable dalek is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2014-08-14, 08:35 PM   #104
Unicron
Time for plan bee-weeoop

Yeah, Chromedome being up to no good with Rewind would put an unfortunate spin on the relationship, but I'm certain there's some kind of weirdness with them we're not privy to yet. Hell, for all we know Rewind is Chromedome's handler, assigned to him to keep him on the straight and narrow and non-suicidal.

Quote:
Originally Posted by inflatable dalek View Post
*Though based on what Roberts and Milne said at AA, that'd be more of a Mother/son relationship. Cyclonus' holo-avatar is a rather stern school marm apparently...
As funky as that sounds, I kind of hope they're joking about it. I was hoping Cyclonus' avatar would be a Russian dude, complete with fur hat. (Whenever I read the bit with Cyclonus singing for Tailgate that Drift bursts in on, I always read it with Cyc having a Russian accent there)

Old 2014-08-14, 08:38 PM   #105
Unicron
Time for plan bee-weeoop

Double-posty goodness
Quote:
Originally Posted by Auntie Slag View Post
So there are natural females born in this TF universe, but they've never featured until Dark Cybertron, and I guess we don't know yet what difference it makes for a Transformer to be considered female?
Well, up until Dark Cybertron, we never really were exposed to non-Cybertron born Transformers (same with the cast we'd been following up till that point). As for what makes them female, I think one of the bits of info in the last issue lists Nautica as having an Estriol-Positive spark, which probably is connected to the femaleness.

Old 2014-08-16, 11:47 AM   #106
inflatable dalek
Duke of Kidderminster

Kidderminster UK
Smile

I posted this in the AA thread, but just in case any MTMTE fans aren't glancing that way, a James Roberts podcast interview where he talks about MTMTE, fake out deaths and that he wouldn't want to share a hab suite with Chromedome...

http://s39.podbean.com/pb/76a71709e4...sBackAgain.mp3

Old 2014-08-16, 12:26 PM   #107
Blackjack
Micromaster

Ah, good, he realizes the fake-out deaths are crap! Awesomeness.

EDIT: ooh, more Chromedome intrigue. Yeah, Barber can have Prowl (to his credit he's trying to fix the mistakes he did with him from the early RID issues) -- Chromedome is my new favourite edgy gray-morality Autobot.

Last edited by Blackjack; 2014-08-16 at 01:23 PM.
Blackjack is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2014-08-16, 01:50 PM   #108
inflatable dalek
Duke of Kidderminster

Kidderminster UK
Red face

Yeah, after all my defence of Chromedome's intentions towards Rewind, Roberts really makes it sound as if there's no one, even his own creator!- he wouldn't **** with...

EDIT: And he realises a lot of people think the fake outs are crap, which isn't quite the same as thinking so himself...

Old 2014-08-16, 03:23 PM   #109
Auntie Slag

Cambridge, UK
Smile

Its great to be able to listen to the authors comments and reactions as his series is running. And its good to know that he is aware of fan reaction and speculation, even if it may be just a vocal few per fansite.

On the other side, I wonder how that makes Barber feel about RID? I'm sure there are plenty of people more than happy with it.

Some great nuggets of information given away too, things that I would have been pleased as punch to read on the day; but am happy to know about through this podcast. I mean, its not like its ruined anything plot-wise by mentioning them.

He's careful not to give anything away that could even be read into! And excellent that he can recite The Young One's at will

Old 2014-08-16, 08:00 PM   #110
Skyquake87
One with the Matrix

I have only just read MTMTE # 31 (special subscription with Blockbusters style honeycomb art) and read this thread... and feel really very dim.

I must have missed the cunning stuff about Chromdome and his special needle hand and that he might have done VERY BAD THINGS to Rewind with it. Sigh.

I am more concerned that we've seen him be use his abilities again after all that stuff with Rewind and the promise he made to himself not to do needly mind things again. People though, can't help falling into bad habits, right?

I will listen to the pod cast soon...its not really long is it? Anything over 30 minutes and I get bored...! If its some 2 hour waffle-a-thon I will freely admit I probably end up walking out of the room and doing something else. Tickle a cat. Do some ironing. Eat a biscuit. That sort of thing.

Skyquake87 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2014-08-16, 08:30 PM   #111
Auntie Slag

Cambridge, UK
Smile

All the Chromedome needle stuff on Rewind is conjecture going back many issues. But yeah, it all boils down to the fact that Chromedome just can’t keep from doing freaky things.

This and the fact that there’s something extremely dodgy about him, he likes being dodgy, he’s skilled to the point where he’s outlived others who partake in the extremely dangerous sport of mnemosurgery, and he's formed multiple close relationships in his life so far when the majority of the cybertron populace barely even get one.

Chromedome’s a freaky cat, man. Overlord is a fluffy kitten compared to that guy.

The podcast is just over an hour long. James' responses are good though; interesting and layered. Although in the nicest possible sense you're not missing anything if you don't listen.

Me; I'd listen, have a tea, eat a biscuit and tickle a cat.

Old 2014-08-16, 08:33 PM   #112
Skyquake87
One with the Matrix

I should probably do the terribly modern thing of downloading this to some convenient portable device...

but I just can't be arsed.

If its just an hour, I should manage that. I like James Roberts. Especially as he doesn't half look like Ryan Stiles whom I remember most fondly from Whose Line Is It Anyway? He's doing some rubbish sitcom thing I keep seeing on Comedy Central.

I am a terrible MTMTE reader. Here's you guys getting all deep and meaningful with it, and I just think its bloody great comics and slots in nicely with my other current choices of Lazarus, Fatale and Velvet

I still love Joanna's colours bestest. Joanna, (if you're out there) come do the colours for my life. It would be ace.

Old 2014-08-16, 08:39 PM   #113
Auntie Slag

Cambridge, UK
Talking

Ha! I never made that connection. Yes, Ryan Style's British cousin!

James is very good in the podcast, its the Interviewers who annoy me a bit, and it sounds like its recorded in a shoe box.

He could really do with someone a bit more like Parkinson or the woman from Desert Island Discs interviewing him.

Old 2014-08-16, 09:03 PM   #114
Skyquake87
One with the Matrix

Or Inflatable Dalek...

Although I have horrible feeling that would end up like this:

http://youtu.be/eNPZXtJ48Qo

Old 2014-08-17, 01:34 AM   #115
Unicron
Time for plan bee-weeoop

Quote:
Originally Posted by Skyquake87 View Post
I have only just read MTMTE # 31 (special subscription with Blockbusters style honeycomb art) and read this thread... and feel really very dim.

I must have missed the cunning stuff about Chromdome and his special needle hand and that he might have done VERY BAD THINGS to Rewind with it. Sigh.
Yeah, as Auntie Slag said, the Chromedome/Rewind needling theories goes back a ways. The UV light allergy I referenced is mentioned in issue 12 (and issue 8 is where Chromedome explains Mnemosurgery marks only show up under UV light), I want to say it was 13 where Rewind couldn't remember what Domey was up to.

That's part of the fun of this series. Roberts does such a great job with world building and foreshadowing that new information has us trying to figure out what it means and thus going back to look over past issues for connections and things to fit or disprove theories.
It's because of things like Brainstorm being revealed to be dead this whole time late in Dark Cybertron. It makes us go back and look at things in a new light. It explains why the sparkeater totally ignored him all the way back in issue 2.

So MTMTE threads seem to turn into a mass of speculation and past issue references. Fun times.

Old 2014-08-17, 08:40 AM   #116
Skyquake87
One with the Matrix

I think I'll have to keep MTMTE out of the Long Boxes going forward...

Listened to the podcast. I'd agree with Slag, the interviewers are a little excitable and there's a fair few moments where things dive into private jokes and Roberts has to bring things back under control, but some good stuff in there, all the same.

Old 2014-08-17, 05:23 PM   #117
inflatable dalek
Duke of Kidderminster

Kidderminster UK
Red face

Quote:
Originally Posted by Skyquake87 View Post
Or Inflatable Dalek...

By amazing coincidence, I have happened to put a list of questions together for a James Roberts interview. Here's a quick preview of them:

Hi James, can I call you Jim?

Why are you so awesome?

Have you thought about bringing that Decepticon who turned into a Dalek from the Marvel comics back? Maybe with a slightly inflatable look this time?

Will you be my friend?

That'd be the jist of it.

I thought the podcast interviewers did a fair enough job, there's no shortage of "Professional" chat show hosts who do the paly paly injoke thing so that didn't bother me.

EDIT: What I really like is that Roberts takes the hab suite question completely seriously and thinks through which of them would be the most bearable to live with rather than going for the gag answer the question obviously invites.

Last edited by inflatable dalek; 2014-08-17 at 05:40 PM.
Old 2014-08-18, 08:22 AM   #118
Skyquake87
One with the Matrix

Those are all fine questions, and I bet you'd get considered responses to each of them too