• transformers live-action movies
  • transformers fandom
  • transformers forum

Go Back   TFARCHIVE > TRANSFORMERS > Transformers News & Rumours

Old 2015-06-21, 05:43 PM   #281
Tantrum
Systems Analyst

Aquidneck Island, RI, USA

I'd considered skipping red Optimus in hopes of a white repaint, but I'm glad I didn't. I hoped the stand-alone bot would resemble Ultra Magnus' cab bot, and the combined mode would resemble UM's full bot. This doesn't look like either.

Another idea for Sky-Lynx retool: Doubledealer. His alt mode would turn into his bird mode, and combine into his robot mode. The 6th member would be one of his engines.

I'm curious about that Legends class Buzzsaw, and if/how he combines into a gestalt.

They could've retooled Alpha Bravo into a shuttle by replacing the rear rotor piece with thrusters, and making the arms fold into wings. But, making the arms fold into wings would be tricky. And, the gestalt would have two very similar looking limbs. Air Raid only reuses half of Skydive, but I still use one as an arm and the other as a leg so that's less obvious.

Given that there's three new gestalts shown, there should've been more than 1 new Deluxe mold. So far, there's:

HELICOPTER: Alpha Bravo, Blades, Vortex*
HARRIER: Fireflight, Slingshot, Blastoff*
F14: Skydive, Air Raid

JEEP: Rook, Hound, Swindle*
TRUCK: Offroad*, First-aid, Trailbreaker, Ironhide
F1: Dragstrip*, Mirage
LAMBORGHINI: Breakdown*, Wheeljack, Sunstreaker
OTHER CAR: Dead-end*, Wildrider*, Streetwise, Smokescreen, Prowl

MOTORCYCLE: Groove
TANK: Brawl*

Bold = new, * = Decepticon

They need another car mold. I was hoping one of the Autobots, most likely Wheeljack, would give us an idea of the Lightspeed mold. They also shouldn't have made Prowl and Streetwise from the same mold. Does anyone want two police cars with identical transformations?

These figures all look good on their own. But having three gestalts full of retooled limbs might kill interest in CW before they get to the beasts. Doing an animal combiner, then pulling out the car repaints might have been a better idea.

Tantrum is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2015-06-21, 05:57 PM   #282
Warcry
Likes Beast Wars toys. A lot.

Winnipeg, Manitoba, Canada

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tantrum View Post
These figures all look good on their own. But having three gestalts full of retooled limbs might kill interest in CW before they get to the beasts. Doing an animal combiner, then pulling out the car repaints might have been a better idea.
I completely agree. All the CW toys are fine, but unless you're super in love with combiners, you're not going to buy very many of them because they're all the same.

Abominus, Piranacon or Predaking would be a breath of fresh air right about now.

Warcry is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2015-06-21, 06:07 PM   #283
Skyquake87
One with the Matrix

Given the distribution, we'll probably need all these recolours to complete a single gestalt over here...

Skyquake87 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2015-06-21, 06:18 PM   #284
Heinrad
Ironmod

Riskin' it all on my Russian Roulette!

Definitely looking forward to the Combaticons and their little Shockwave. Sky Lynx looks interesting. Not sure about CW Ironhide, though. I was only planning to get Off Road if I could find Motormaster, and I haven't seen any Motormasters anywhere. Probably a good thing as I've just moved and money's a bit tight right now. I suppose it'll depend on how extensive the remold is.

Heinrad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2015-06-21, 09:54 PM   #285
electro girl
Tall child, holding a beer.

Robot Republic of Yorkshire.

Well I certainly wasn't expecting Skylynx.

electro girl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2015-06-21, 10:24 PM   #286
Tantrum
Systems Analyst

Quote:
Originally Posted by Warcry View Post
I completely agree. All the CW toys are fine, but unless you're super in love with combiners, you're not going to buy very many of them because they're all the same.

Abominus, Piranacon or Predaking would be a breath of fresh air right about now.
Or Monstructor. If they do any beast gestalt, they'll probably do all of them to increase the possibilities of retools, like Wildfly from Cutthroat. The Pretender Monster legs were vague bipeds, so they could be made from Blot and Rippersnapper. The other arm was a quadriped, so maybe Rampage.

Abominus would be tricky, since Sinnertwin and Hungrr don't lend themselves to reuse. I don't know if the rigidity of size classes would allow for Divebomb's wing backpack. Maybe he'd have to be a 2nd Voyager for Predaking to work. His main body would be Deluxe sized, but he'd come with the giant backpack.

Of the 10 Deluxe molds announced so far, 7 were released in the first two combiners. Defensor is the only one since then to introduce two molds, and most people won't see both of those figures.

I made Ultra Prime with Protectobot limbs and noticed that the Deadend mold they're using 5 times really doesn't make that good of a leg. The underside of the hood just sticks out, looking out of place. The lambo has a similar problem, but at least it's chestplate covers the entire underside. DE/Streetwise just has a hole.

Old 2015-06-22, 01:45 AM   #287
Warcry
Likes Beast Wars toys. A lot.

Winnipeg, Manitoba, Canada

Quote:
Or Monstructor. If they do any beast gestalt, they'll probably do all of them to increase the possibilities of retools, like Wildfly from Cutthroat. The Pretender Monster legs were vague bipeds, so they could be made from Blot and Rippersnapper. The other arm was a quadriped, so maybe Rampage.
Monstructor would be the easiest, yeah. Wildfly aside (and the glee that a Generations Wildfly would bring me cannot be overstated) I don't think you can really say what any of the Pretender Monster beast modes are, which makes it pretty simple to fudge them from existing molds. Of course, that also means that they'd have to make the three other beast combiners first so that they've got the molds to work with.

Of course, that's assuming they would base them on the inner robots and not the pretender shells, something that Hasbro's been pretty hit-or-miss about over the years.

Quote:
Abominus would be tricky, since Sinnertwin and Hungrr don't lend themselves to reuse. I don't know if the rigidity of size classes would allow for Divebomb's wing backpack. Maybe he'd have to be a 2nd Voyager for Predaking to work. His main body would be Deluxe sized, but he'd come with the giant backpack.
If Sinnertwin borrows the transformation from his BH self he'd make a great Doublecross (though in beast mode Hun-grrr would be more apt, and honestly either would work). And with the level of remolding we've seen, it's just as likely that he'll himself be a redeco of one of the Predacons.

Divebomb is a bit of a puzzler. On the one hand, he's likely to share a mold with Cutthoat and Wildfly, because that's how this line has gone. But on the other hand, you're right about the detaching wings. If they're going to stick to the one Voyager, three Deluxe, one Legend format for the teams, the only way Divebomb fits nicely into that paradigm is as a Legend that turns into Predaking's wings. But then they'd need to invent another Predacon and find something else to reuse Legends Divebomb as.

Although with all five members sharing the same colours, it's also possible that they go the box set route with Predaking and sidestep the problem entirely. I doubt they will (it sounds like this "Titan Wars" stuff will fill out next year's big-ticket slots) but it would make the most sense. Unfortunately that would probably also lead to them being cut-rate garbage like Devastator.

Warcry is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2015-06-22, 02:02 AM   #288
inflatable dalek
Duke of Kidderminster

Kidderminster UK
Lightbulb

I'd like them to make one train-bot and remould it six times to make Raiden.

inflatable dalek is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2015-06-22, 03:05 AM   #289
Tantrum
Systems Analyst

Monstructor should probably follow the inner-robots to recreate the color scheme of G1 combiner look. There's some wiggle room in design, though. Icepick's inner robot is one of those vague bipeds. A retool of Blot, with the giant beast claws, could homage both the inner robot (in color scheme) and the shell (in design)

A Legends figure wouldn't be big enough to form Predaking's wings. When I was a kid, and first saw the catalog photo of G1 Predaking, I thought the eagle was the torso and the lion face was detachable. Maybe that'd work. G1 Razorclaw was pretty similar to G1 Rampage, so he could work as a retool. Divebomb and Razorclaw are both mostly black, so Predaking's color scheme wouldn't be affected much. I'd much rather see Divebomb stay an arm, and be a 2nd Voyager, but I don't know if Hasbro would break their pattern like that.

Old 2015-06-23, 09:38 AM   #290
Selkadoom
Salty Seeker

Disappointment, AKA Florida

Quote:
Very true yet at the same time id love to see a new Abominus as its coming up on 30 years since his one and only toy.

Selkadoom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2015-06-23, 04:21 PM   #291
Notabot
Lutheran

Lowden, IA

Quote:
Originally Posted by Selkadoom View Post
Very true yet at the same time id love to see a new Abominus as its coming up on 30 years since his one and only toy.
Clay might disagree that it's been 30 years. (Can't find the pictures to prove it.)

Notabot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2015-06-23, 07:43 PM   #292
Selkadoom
Salty Seeker

Quote:
Originally Posted by Notabot View Post
Clay might disagree that it's been 30 years. (Can't find the pictures to prove it.)
Is it a custom one? Because as I recall he only had an official release of sorts in 87

Old 2015-06-23, 07:45 PM   #293
Skyquake87
One with the Matrix

There was the Prime Legends Class Abominus (which was terrible) made out of 5 Legends Class Terrorcons (which were great).

Old 2015-06-23, 07:47 PM   #294
inflatable dalek
Duke of Kidderminster

Kidderminster UK
Smile

There's the Prime Abominus. Technically not the same character, but based on how it clogged shelves it was only bought by mad fans who treated it as a G1 proxy.

EDIT: How did Skyquake sneak in first?

Last edited by inflatable dalek; 2015-06-23 at 08:03 PM.
inflatable dalek is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2015-06-23, 08:58 PM   #295
Skyquake87
One with the Matrix

By being sneaky...and having a quick remembererer

Old 2015-06-23, 09:22 PM   #296
Selkadoom
Salty Seeker

Quote:
Originally Posted by Skyquake87 View Post
There was the Prime Legends Class Abominus (which was terrible) made out of 5 Legends Class Terrorcons (which were great).
My mistake than, was not aware we had a Prime one

Old 2015-06-24, 12:06 PM   #297
numbat
Legends Class

Scotland, UK

Quote:
Originally Posted by Skyquake87 View Post
Good fun to play with though, even if the combined mode is awful...

numbat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2015-06-24, 07:21 PM   #298
Clay
"I've done better and got over it."

Murray, KY
Talking

Quote:
Originally Posted by Notabot View Post
Did someone mention Abomini?

Ha, I'm waiting for the last parts of the big third party Abominus to show up before I do a full horde photoshoot. It'll be epic.

Clay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2015-06-24, 09:00 PM   #299
Ryan F
hunts pandas for lolz

It's just occurred to me that CW Breakdown was envisaged as a Sunstreaker from the get-go (sorry if this is really obvious, I admit I'm a bit slow on the uptake).

Breakdown's hand/foot weapon is totally sculpted to look like Sunstreaker's engine vent thingy. If you look at the back of Breakdown, there's a little rectangular hole behind the spoiler, and a little rectangular peg on the 'thumb' of the giant hand. Plug the two together (there are little pegs on the roof also) and you have a classic Sunstreaker-looking car mode.

Ryan F is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2015-06-24, 09:13 PM   #300
Skyquake87
One with the Matrix

Indeed, and you can see a picture of the Sunstreaker repaint of Breakdown on p14 of this thread (although comically, the fisty gun is stuck on like what I did in my review of Breakdown, losing the familiar 'turbo tuning' intake look what Streaky has)